Author Topic: What's the worst keyboard you've ever bought? Warnings for keyboard buyers.  (Read 18897 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: What's the worst keyboard you've ever bought? Warnings for keyboard buyers.
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:31:00 »
As for the Blackwidow, why do these seem to be on everyone's ****list? I've never owned one but I can only assume it's partly because of the brand itself.
  • marketing full of ****
  • bad quality control
  • marketing full of ****
  • layout and gimmicks typical for gaming keyboards
  • marketing full of ****
Have I mentioned that their marketing is full of ****?

That helps paint a clearer picture...but how do you feel about their marketing?
You've guessed it right: it's full of ****. ^_^

Seriously though, here you go: Why is the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate hated around here?

Offline Seranite

• Doesn't know what's going on.
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:35:56 »
As for the Blackwidow, why do these seem to be on everyone's ****list? I've never owned one but I can only assume it's partly because of the brand itself.
  • marketing full of ****
  • bad quality control
  • marketing full of ****
  • marketing full of ****

You've guessed it right: it's full of ****. ^_^

Seriously though, here you go: Why is the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate hated around here?

Thanks dawg.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:36:11 »
I am considering to start compiling a list for the Keyboards' Hall of Shame, in the OP, a sort of summary of your contributions, let me know if that could be of some interest for the rest of us.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 15:33:02 »
Logitech Wave (wired version). Ironically, the worst keyboard is the one I've bought the most of before moving to mech boards about six years ago. After 3+ months of use, the key plungers would start to stick, especially if you didn't hit the keys dead center. So, I'd buy a new one every 4 months or so and pass the old one down to one of the kids. I liked the layout at the time, which was why I stayed with it so long. Sad thing is, that POS cost $50+. It should've been a $15 keyboard.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 15:50:19 »
Logitech Wave (wired version). Ironically, the worst keyboard is the one I've bought the most of before moving to mech boards about six years ago. After 3+ months of use, the key plungers would start to stick, especially if you didn't hit the keys dead center. So, I'd buy a new one every 4 months or so and pass the old one down to one of the kids. I liked the layout at the time, which was why I stayed with it so long. Sad thing is, that POS cost $50+. It should've been a $15 keyboard.
Can confirm.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 16:20:12 »
Runner up has to be this guy right here:

Just remembering trying to type on that is giving me seizures.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 16:25:49 »
logitech
g15

I thought i would be a pro gamer when i bought this keyboard many years ago. It didnt take long before the case and the keycaps started to ware, keycaps which were frequently used lost their protective cover(was backlit). and the case itself lost color the silver rubbed off. The feel was icky, there where no slider over the membranes which made it feel like you were pressing your finger into butter, and the spacebar was so badly stabilised. Had to throw it away after i got my first mech, couldnt belive ive been using that for so long. After that i thought never more rubberdome keyboards.

In a way the best buy because it eventually led me here  :p

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:10:03 »
  • marketing full of ****
  • bad quality control
  • marketing full of ****
  • marketing full of ****
LOL!

Great reading!  Thank you!
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:12:03 by SamirD »

Offline Zaskar

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:08:30 »
Oh man, one of those horrible Logitech gaming boards with the color LCD screen.
In the mockup pictures it showed a slimmed down Ventrilo window in the screen, but in the end that was some nonsense composite picture made in photoshop, and the real app was just a name that showed on the screen when someone was talking.
And this was ontop of it being a horrible keyboard so it had no redeeming value.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:55:05 »

Show Image

It got a split spacebar though!

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:56:45 »
logitech
g15

I thought i would be a pro gamer when i bought this keyboard many years ago. It didnt take long before the case and the keycaps started to ware, keycaps which were frequently used lost their protective cover(was backlit). and the case itself lost color the silver rubbed off. The feel was icky, there where no slider over the membranes which made it feel like you were pressing your finger into butter, and the spacebar was so badly stabilised. Had to throw it away after i got my first mech, couldnt belive ive been using that for so long. After that i thought never more rubberdome keyboards.

I felt the same way. I actually bought one with the flip up screen and then made the mistake of buying the newer model with the screen built in, because apparently I'm a glutton for punishment :(

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 02:44:21 »
logitech
g15

Logitech g15 hate brothers  :thumb: I also had the one with a flipup screen. The Only thing good with that keyboard was that i could make macros which helped me win mouseclick contests which i had with my friends :D

I felt the same way. I actually bought one with the flip up screen and then made the mistake of buying the newer model with the screen built in, because apparently I'm a glutton for punishment :(

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 03:04:40 »
logitech
g15

Logitech g15 hate brothers  :thumb: I also had the one with a flipup screen. The Only thing good with that keyboard was that i could make macros which helped me win mouseclick contests which i had with my friends :D

Oh man I forgot about those Macro keys... I used to have one macro'd to my WoW login, and my girlfriend at the time thought it was a great idea and did it too... Then I got a frantic call from her while in class saying "I HIT THE MACRO KEY BY ACCIDENT AND BLASTED MY LOGIN TO EVERYONE IN TRADE CHAT". Thankfully some white knight used her email and logged in and changed all her passwords, but it was pretty hilarious (for me at least).

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline Data

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:02:08 »
Hmm...  Probably one of the original Microsoft Natural keyboards.  I remember the spacebars being particularly terrible on them -- like not stabilized at all.  And also the pad-printed legends rubbing off after only a few months.  That was still happening even on the newest models.  But this was all before I got into mechs.   :D

Lately...  I bought 2 of the E-Element RGB fullsize boards from Massdrop.  They aren't terrible - the backlighting is especially good - but they aren't my favorites and I don't really use them.  Build quality is average, which was much better than I expected given their low price.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 04:39:08 »
Ive not had many ****ty keyboards but the caps on Corsair K65 would place it on the **** tier list. Its like ****ing stickers on the caps!
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 16:56:55 »
It is time for you to post some pictures of the delinquent boards you got.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 20:57:09 »
Someone dropped some nasty links in this thread. Lets keep those applications and files memory safe okay!

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 23:57:48 »
Someone dropped some nasty links in this thread. Lets keep those applications and files memory safe okay!

Apparently, the domain was flagged as a website with potentially dangerous content.

I've reuploaded the images to imgur so we should be good.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 05:06:03 »

Apparently, the domain was flagged as a website with potentially dangerous content.

(Attachment Link)

;_;
Not really sure what is happening to 1339.cf. Its the only imagehost I use after pomf.se died.
Now I have to find an alternative.  :blank:

Offline jaffers

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 05:34:33 »

(Attachment Link)

;_;
Not really sure what is happening to 1339.cf. Its the only imagehost I use after pomf.se died.

Server can get infected. Turned jpegs into compression attacks, well it can also turn them into a number of other attacks, but from my experience mostly compression. It happens
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 05:57:25 by jfing14 »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 06:17:12 »

(Attachment Link)

;_;

Have you tried imgur?

You could also attach them to your post directly.  Click the + to expand the Attachments and other options below the text box:
117519-0
:thumb:

Offline osi

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 06:31:24 »

Show Image

Truth

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:01:53 »
Wasn't it like $35 on sale? And people still so mad. It truly must've been the worst. Hah.

I picked it up for $30 and I regret it dearly. There was no good qualities about that board at all. Horrible quality case, a cheap and easily bent plate, a stupid keyboard cover instead of a case top, awfully printed and thin pad-printed caps, and a flimsy PCB. It even smelled horrible.

Funny how that was the first mech Ive ever wanted. Liked the sound. Didnt know about Matias at the time. V60 MTS-C is great!
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:15:21 »
eBay sellers.  What they call "clean" would cause an e-coli outbreak.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:43:35 »
This keyboard: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Macintosh-A1048-Pro-Keyboard/dp/B00BB2PQNC

I never actually bought one, but we used to use them at school and they were terrible to type on. At least they looked cool though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2015, 16:56:51 by piemancoder »
Yoda grammar best has

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 16:48:08 »
Worst keyboard ever? This horrible no-name membrane board I bought at a thrift store when I was building my first system.

Worst mechanical though would be this Adesso full-size Cherry MX Blues keyboard I bought my mom for 65 bucks on Newegg back in 2011. That thing was horrible. Some of the keycaps would stick, the space bar kept catching the chassis, and the keys themselves felt horribly scratchy (although this was probably the complete lack of finishing on the keycaps). My mom accidentally spilled a coke on the thing, and we took that as a sign that a better keyboard was needed.

So I bought myself a Rosewill RK9000BR to replace my original RK9000 (fixed cord model), gave her the old version keyboard, and she was AMAZED at the difference in quality. (To be fair, she'd used it before, which is why I bought a keyboard with Blues). She almost stole the BR when it arrived, but didn't like the feel of the keys. I'd have let her have it, too, if she wanted it.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 16:48:32 »
My Logitech G710+. Sorry Logitech lovers, but mine was atrocious.

Owned it for about 5 months, then the crappy thin ABS keys started snapping at the stem.

Yeah, snapping. They didn't have a single hairline crack when i bought them, (I know this as i removed the pre-installed hard o rings), and then the stems just started coming off. about 14 keys too, and now my whole keyboard is jumbled up with the macro keycaps being on the wasd keys. No joke.

The QC must be dodgy on the keyboards, or i got incredibly unlucky.

Bought a Deck Francium Pro after, couldnt be happier :)
Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 17:18:53 »
Disclaimer:  If you are looking for a WASD Code, then ignore this post.  It is a wonderful keyboard!  Also, do check out my classifieds listing in the future  :thumb:

Brand: WASD Keyboards
Model: CODE 87-Key Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown
Serial Number: VB750

For me, the worst keyboard I've ever bought is hands-down the WASD Code. The day I got it, two LEDs flickered then stopped working altogether and the ping was rather obnoxious.  Then I thought to put my Poker 3's pbt caps on it for the heck of it.  Keys stuck and spacebar made a scraping noise.  Hmm let's try the tai hao thin abs keys.  Same scratching sound on spacebar.  What if I lightly lube (with Permatex Dielectric grease)? Same sound and now the spacebar feels like it has resistance on top of that.  I guess next time I'll try lubing it with sawdust, maybe I'll get better results?  So I sent it back to WASD.  Fortunately they paid me back for shipping, however, at the time I was undecided about doing a return or a repair.  They said not to worry as it can be sorted out once they receive it.  Next thing I know, I get an email saying that it has left WASD and is on its way back to me. They received it, fixed the LEDs, and tested it for 24 hours with the lights on which I was impressed with, but by that time I wanted only to return it and get my money back.  So now, I'm stuck with this keyboard that feels terrible and is getting replaced by a better board anyways. 
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:41:45 »
Disclaimer:  If you are looking for a WASD Code, then ignore this post.  It is a wonderful keyboard!  Also, do check out my classifieds listing in the future  :thumb:

For me, the worst keyboard I've ever bought is hands-down the WASD Code. The day I got it, two LEDs flickered then stopped working altogether and the ping was rather obnoxious.  Then I thought to put my Poker 3's pbt caps on it for the heck of it.  Keys stuck and spacebar made a scraping noise.  Hmm let's try the tai hao thin abs keys.  Same scratching sound on spacebar.  What if I lightly lube (with Permatex Dielectric grease)? Same sound and now the spacebar feels like it has resistance on top of that.  I guess next time I'll try lubing it with sawdust, maybe I'll get better results?  So I sent it back to WASD.  Fortunately they paid me back for shipping, however, at the time I was undecided about doing a return or a repair.  They said not to worry as it can be sorted out once they receive it.  Next thing I know, I get an email saying that it has left WASD and is on its way back to me. They received it, fixed the LEDs, and tested it for 24 hours with the lights on which I was impressed with, but by that time I wanted only to return it and get my money back.  So now, I'm stuck with this keyboard that feels terrible and is getting replaced by a better board anyways.

Does it still have the spacebar sound?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:44:31 »

(Attachment Link)

Thank you for the damage control.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:34:53 »

Yep.  I made a post about it, seeing if anybody could help.  Video link here: https://youtu.be/senkR6rxkGM
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline tinydog

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:19:57 »
The only mechanical I've purchased was the Ducky Shine II, and it was wonderful until a bunch of keys started failing.  I've resoldered, switched around the Cherry key switches, and fiddled with the dip switches, all with some degree of success - success which subsequently faded as the keys failed again and again.  Now they're perma-failed.   :))

Here's my thread about it:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75854.msg1887857#msg1887857

I want to get another mechanical, but it WILL NOT be a Ducky.   :mad:

Offline Infrared

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:20:26 »
literally anything that I have ever gotten from razer is the worst.
White Fc660c

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 17:36:55 »

Yep.  I made a post about it, seeing if anybody could help.  Video link here: https://youtu.be/senkR6rxkGM

Wow, that must stink.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline Wolfseye

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 18:06:27 »
I don't remember the old rubberdome keyboards i had back then, but while checking out over 13 different keyboards (often same models with different switches) in the last 4 - 6 weeks, on my way of finding a successor to my Qpad MK80 I used for years, one comes to mind that really was horrible.

EpicGear Decimator X

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX-Blue/Green LEDs) - Ducky Shine 3 (MX-Red/Pink LEDs) - Ducky Shine 4 (MX-Blue/Red&Blue LEDs) - CM Storm Quickfire TK (MX-Brown/White LEDs) - TTeSports Poseidon Z RGB (Kailh-Blue)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 22:30:42 »
I don't remember the old rubberdome keyboards i had back then, but while checking out over 13 different keyboards (often same models with different switches) in the last 4 - 6 weeks, on my way of finding a successor to my Qpad MK80 I used for years, one comes to mind that really was horrible.

EpicGear Decimator X

Even its name sucks...

Offline Wolfseye

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX-Blue/Green LEDs) - Ducky Shine 3 (MX-Red/Pink LEDs) - Ducky Shine 4 (MX-Blue/Red&Blue LEDs) - CM Storm Quickfire TK (MX-Brown/White LEDs) - TTeSports Poseidon Z RGB (Kailh-Blue)

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 14:20:13 »
blackwidow ultimate...like what is even that switch. I tried my friend's for a week then I nope'd real quick on hurting my fingers even more. Razer switch lol.
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline Owntrolf

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 22:11:51 »
Rapoo KX

The wired USB connection is abysmal, it keeps connecting and disconnecting
The only part that makes it work well is the wireless usb dongle which I paniced when I pulled it out of a usb slot and the usb housing got stuck in the slot.

I was able to fix it by soldering the pcb that was pulled out of the usb to another usb connector used for making cables
#donglegate

Offline andresteare

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 17:28:18 »

Dell At101W - http://deskthority.net/wiki/Dell_AT101
Models with Alps SKCM Black Switches

A lot of people try this board because it is a very cheap entry level board to experience ALPS type switches.
However I have never found a at101w with black sliders that feels pleasant to type on.  Every one I have had or used had very mushy and sloppy feeling switches.  Thanks to Matias and KBP there are some other great entry level alps boards available nowadays.

It's my first mech keyboard and I got it for $1, don't be so hard to my baby :(

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 19:29:01 »

It's my first mech keyboard

It is also a superb chassis for transplanting your favorite switches into.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline andresteare

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 13:37:55 »
that's true, and also, after looking several teardowns, if you have and iron and solder the PCB is ISO compatible, so you can adapt the keyboard to your language

Offline shadowcelery

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 14:35:56 »
Ducky
One 2 mini
This is an issue that most people don't talk about but a number of their boards have multiple switches with a key chattering issue that they released firmware to fix but for some reason it only solves it for a week or two. Before you ask I have cleaned out the switches entirely with 99% alcohol and even tried replacing the switches with different ones.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 17:34:22 »
Guess I've been fortunate enough to not have a board I would consider absolute garbage. Of course any issues I had with switches, I fixed by desoldering and set in a switch of my choosing.  That's what I did with my iKBC Poker II (type-C), swapped from the scratchy MX-Browns to Gat Black Ink v1's and added an insulator to quiet it further.  Only downside to the iKBC version is that they put the type-c port on the opposite side compared to the other Pokers so I can't find a case to drop the PCB/Plate into - ended up painting the case myself to fix that as well, lol.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline pewpewnii

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 02:56:17 »
Brand : Logitech
Model : G610 Cherry MX Red Switch

Problem description :
The build quality is actually not that bad, also the price is affordable. But the first day I have the keyboard, the switches is insanely bad. I never have a bad red switches like this in G610. The shift key is the worst part. It is stretchy af

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 08:13:30 »
And all the issues people mention with Logitech boards is why I never got one, I went the Cooler Master route and love my CM Quickfire TK's, Rapid I's and Pro S's.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 10:34:03 »
The worst keyboard i know is logitechs old ones with romer gs. Too tactile, too rough.