Author Topic: Resolved  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Renaaa

Resolved
« on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:47:20 »
My bad  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:29:16 by Renaaa »

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Re: Switching My New Novatouch TKL's switches to Cherry MX Red
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:48:40 »
You can't swap a Novatouch to Cherry MX Reds.

Offline Renaaa

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:49:23 »
Why not?
It's compatible with Cherry Mx switches so why should Reds be excluded?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Switching My New Novatouch TKL switches to Cherry MX Red
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:50:15 »
Before you go any further, what exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Are you trying to swap the MX Switches into the Novatouch? It's not going to work how you imagine.

Are you by chance mistaking the switches for keycaps? The benefit of the Novatouch is that you can swap MX Keycaps/Topre Keycaps, but not the physical switches themselves.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:50:52 »
Why not?
It's compatible with Cherry Mx switches so why should Reds be excluded?

It is compatible with caps from MX switches, not the switches themselves. It was meant to be a Topre board with Cherry MX caps.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:52:29 »
The keycaps themselves are compatible but the switches are not, it is not possible to swap out topre for cherry switches.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Renaaa

Re: Switching My New Novatouch TKL switches to Cherry MX Red
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:54:33 »
Before you go any further, what exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Are you trying to swap the MX Switches into the Novatouch? It's not going to work how you imagine.

Are you by chance mistaking the switches for keycaps? The benefit of the Novatouch is that you can swap MX Keycaps/Topre Keycaps, but not the physical switches themselves.
Yes that's what I had planned.
I see now myself, I seemingly have not properly read the product description.
Apologies for my pointless question.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:55:47 »

Apologies for my pointless question

No need to apologize, these things happen. If you end up looking to get rid of one of them, I'm sure it won't be difficult here! :)

Offline Renaaa

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 15:00:15 »

No need to apologize, these things happen. If you end up looking to get rid of one of them, I'm sure it won't be difficult here! :)
If it's no problem could you maybe tell me, if there is a significant difference/advantage to using custom keycaps?
I assume there is, since the geekhack forums have their own sub category for it, but it could also just be an enthusiasts thing, to achieve a fully personalized keyboard.
Really sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but couldn't find anything on the exact reasonings to get custom keycaps right away.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 15:12:10 »

If it's no problem could you maybe tell me, if there is a significant difference/advantage to using custom keycaps?
I assume there is, since the geekhack forums have their own sub category for it, but it could also just be an enthusiasts thing, to achieve a fully personalized keyboard.
Really sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but couldn't find anything on the exact reasonings to get custom keycaps right away.

Again, don't worry about it!

Depends on the keycaps really. A lot of it is really personal preference, but there's also the fact that some keycaps will hold up MUCH better over time, some feel better to type on for people depending on what profile they are (more info here: Keycap Profile Guide)

If you're interested, take a look at these two albums:
Key Legend Guide
Doubleshot Keycap Guide (Novatouch is the first picture!)

They provide some good insight into what makes different keycaps better/worse. If you really wanna get in depth, have a look at the wiki here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/keycap_guides

As for artisans (such as the infamous Bro Caps, ClickClack, etc.), they're purely an aesthetic choice. Some users hate them, others (including myself) love them!
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2015, 15:14:37 by dgneo »

Offline Renaaa

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 15:41:27 »

Again, don't worry about it!

Depends on the keycaps really. A lot of it is really personal preference, but there's also the fact that some keycaps will hold up MUCH better over time, some feel better to type on for people depending on what profile they are (more info here: Keycap Profile Guide)

If you're interested, take a look at these two albums:
Key Legend Guide
Doubleshot Keycap Guide (Novatouch is the first picture!)

They provide some good insight into what makes different keycaps better/worse. If you really wanna get in depth, have a look at the wiki here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/keycap_guides

As for artisans (such as the infamous Bro Caps, ClickClack, etc.), they're purely an aesthetic choice. Some users hate them, others (including myself) love them!
Thank you very much! :D
Sorry that I keep bothering you, however I read in your signature that you seem to have some interest, and therefore I assume some knowledge about Topre keyboards.
Could you maybe recommend me a good 30g Topre keyboard that's suitable for gaming or ideally maybe even designed as a gaming keyboard?
Since that's probably the closest I'll get to the Cherry MX Red switches resistance, while still having the "Topre feeling".

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 15:43:46 »
If you wanted the lightness of cherry mx reds but the feeling of topre then I would suggest using heavier keycaps, personally.
I think that 30g uniform topre boards feel terrible and are a waste of money.
Though, some people would disagree with me.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Renaaa

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 15:54:56 »
If you wanted the lightness of cherry mx reds but the feeling of topre then I would suggest using heavier keycaps, personally.
I think that 30g uniform topre boards feel terrible and are a waste of money.
Though, some people would disagree with me.
Are you referring to using a Cherry MX Red Keyboard with heavier keycaps?
Since what I like about my current Topre keyboard is the 1mm actuation point and the fast "key reset" (basically it springs back much faster after being pressed than my Mx Red keyboard), not to mention the whole typing experience feels a lot better to me in general.
And I don't think I could gain those things by using heavier keycaps :(
Why exactly do you dislike 30g topre boards that much?
I was thinking about getting a 30g realforce or maybe a different 30g one if I manage to find one

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 17:25:33 »
Sorry that I keep bothering you, however I read in your signature that you seem to have some interest, and therefore I assume some knowledge about Topre keyboards.
Could you maybe recommend me a good 30g Topre keyboard that's suitable for gaming or ideally maybe even designed as a gaming keyboard?
Since that's probably the closest I'll get to the Cherry MX Red switches resistance, while still having the "Topre feeling".

Your best bet is probably the Realforce 87u (or 105U if you're a fan of fullsize keyboards), or even your Novatouch honestly. They've got the standard ANSI or ISO layout as opposed to the HHKB layout. I can't think of any topre keyboards marketed specifically for gaming, however if you enjoy using either of them for gaming, who's to say it's wrong?

I'd give your Novatouch a shot first and see if you like it for gaming. If not, you could hunt for an 87u (a 30g if you can find one).

Offline Renaaa

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 21:23:59 »

Your best bet is probably the Realforce 87u (or 105U if you're a fan of fullsize keyboards), or even your Novatouch honestly. They've got the standard ANSI or ISO layout as opposed to the HHKB layout. I can't think of any topre keyboards marketed specifically for gaming, however if you enjoy using either of them for gaming, who's to say it's wrong?

I'd give your Novatouch a shot first and see if you like it for gaming. If not, you could hunt for an 87u (a 30g if you can find one).
Thanks for the suggestions!
I actually don't care too much about the layout, so a HHKB layout would be fine with me too.
I found this Topre keyboard, which is also categorized as a gaming keyboard on Amazon, have you heard of this one? http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B003Y2ZBUU

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 05:16:30 »

I actually don't care too much about the layout, so a HHKB layout would be fine with me too.
I found this Topre keyboard, which is also categorized as a gaming keyboard on Amazon, have you heard of this one? http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B003Y2ZBUU

Nice find! 30g Realforce, that may be exactly what you're looking for.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 08:16:23 »
Cherry reds are often marketed as the "gamer switch" although I prefer something more tactile like blues.

I did just purchase a 55g 87u Realforce and it's suiting all my needs (typing, playing LoL, Starcraft). Depending on the game however, a lower weight may be desired (like the 30g mentioned above).

Honestly I don't think switch type will really "affect" your overall game-play performance so to speak, BUT it will enhance your overall gaming "experience." If that makes sense. Like just because you change switches, you're not going to start winning games all of a sudden - but the time you spend gaming will FEEL that much more enjoyable if you find the perfect switch that suits your personal preference!
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2015, 08:18:00 by mobbo »
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 05:50:21 »

Offline Renaaa

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:09:46 »

Nice find! 30g Realforce, that may be exactly what you're looking for.
Thank you, I'm heavily debating wether I should order it or not. If I don't like it, it will be really pricey to return it to Japan, if Amazon Japan even accepts returns.
Cherry reds are often marketed as the "gamer switch" although I prefer something more tactile like blues.

I did just purchase a 55g 87u Realforce and it's suiting all my needs (typing, playing LoL, Starcraft). Depending on the game however, a lower weight may be desired (like the 30g mentioned above).

Honestly I don't think switch type will really "affect" your overall game-play performance so to speak, BUT it will enhance your overall gaming "experience." If that makes sense. Like just because you change switches, you're not going to start winning games all of a sudden - but the time you spend gaming will FEEL that much more enjoyable if you find the perfect switch that suits your personal preference!

Yeah it's definitely a matter of preference.
Coming from a Cherry Mx Red keyboard the 45g Topre (although having the same actuation weight) is just slightly too heavy for me.
I'm well aware it won't make me a better play and that's not my reason why I'm quite picky about it.
I often spend hours on end on the computer, so having a comfortable keyboard experience is a very important factor for me :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:11:28 by Renaaa »

Offline dutC4

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 12:15:26 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 14:57:36 by dutC4 »