Author Topic: Just completed the stabilizer clipping mod on my Cherry stabs  (Read 1241 times)

Offline sgtpopwell

• "A great big bushy beard!"
Just completed the stabilizer clipping mod on my Cherry stabs
« on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 00:49:27 »
I just wanted to report that I just completed the clipping modification on the Cherry stabilizers that are in my KUL ES-87.

I have had the KUL for less then a month. As soon as I started using it, I was sort of put off by the "squishiness" that the Cherry stabilizers were giving me. I read about the clipping mod here on GH and decided to give it a go.  I can happily report that (not including getting the tools out) the whole process took probably 40 minutes, at a relaxed pace. I can also recommend that if you are considering this mod, you really do need to de-solder and remove the switches in question completely. I read that apparently some folks have been able to remove the stabilizers without removing the switch but as far as I can tell, this is impossible. ...at least with the KUL. Plus, de-soldering 5 switches takes almost no time at all.

Thus far I am extremely happy with how this project turned out. My KUL now feels as wonderful as I was hoping it would be when I bought it. Totally recommend the mod.

Leftover detritus from the de-soldering and clipping...

Cheers!

F77, Filco TKL, IBM Industrial, TKC1800, CST Laser-trac

Patiently waiting for the Model F77

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Re: Just completed the stabilizer clipping mod on my Cherry stabs
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 22:12:33 »
I would recommend clipping the stabilisers as well - gives your stabilised keys a really satisfying downstroke

Not sure if I would recommend taking apart a stock board to do it unless you are swapping out or modding the switches though as it its a pretty marginal improvement

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Just completed the stabilizer clipping mod on my Cherry stabs
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:05:30 »
Nice!

I prefer clipped Cherry stabs to Costar any day. Probably partly due to how often I change keycaps, though  ;D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.