Author Topic: Topre Switches - 45g vs. 55g vs. Variable Weighting  (Read 8430 times)

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
Topre Switches - 45g vs. 55g vs. Variable Weighting
« on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:09:25 »
I tried searching more about this topic since an offer for a Realforce 91U came up at a pretty good price, but I couldn't find something definitive in my search. The 91U is variable weighting. I currently have a Realforce 87U with 55g uniform weighted domes and I love it to death. However, I have an unorthodox touch typing style that mostly only involves the first three fingers. Do you think I will enjoy the variable weighting? I'm planning to use it for the office only, no gaming. Or maybe you could share your experiences on variable weighted keys. I know most people have a general dislike for them, but is it really as bad as it seems?
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:13:27 by mikes41720 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Topre Switches - 45g vs. 55g vs. Variable Weighting
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:14:21 »
I thoroughly enjoy variable weighted Topre. I've used all 45g and 55g previously.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:18:13 »
I thoroughly enjoy variable weighted Topre. I've used all 45g and 55g previously.

Do you have a perfect touch typing style? Haha. I ask that because when people have described the 30-35g (?) domes on the outside alphas, they say it's too mushy and there's no snap. But the ones in the center as well as the modifiers are 45g. Would you say it's just a different cup of tea?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:30:40 »
I'm not any kind of typist, alot of what I do is entering program commands.

The only thing I've noticed is you have to be careful what keys you rest your fingers on because the lightweight ones will accidentally actuate.

To me the variable is less fatiguing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:32:35 by SpAmRaY »

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:35:32 »

The only thing I've noticed is you have to be careful what keys you rest your fingers on because the lightweight ones will accidentally actuate.

Well, that's a relief. I think the 55g domes are very bouncy and snappy, but I will agree they are fatiguing over the course of a long day. But I think I've gotten used to them as well. I usually rest my fingers on the number keys for some reason. Do you still regularly rotate over all your boards?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:43:30 »

Well, that's a relief. I think the 55g domes are very bouncy and snappy, but I will agree they are fatiguing over the course of a long day. But I think I've gotten used to them as well. I usually rest my fingers on the number keys for some reason. Do you still regularly rotate over all your boards?

Lately I've been going between variable Topre and MX reds.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:57:52 »

I see. But did you prefer heavy switches in the past like 55g or clears?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:00:43 »

Stock MX clears are my favorite, I used them for over a year, but I didn't bottom out on them.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:14:20 »

Stock MX clears are my favorite, I used them for over a year, but I didn't bottom out on them.

I see. Thanks for the input! I'm currently using MX browns and 55g right now. I would love to try Clears one day, as well as Alps and BS, but this RF 91U with variable weighting is also equally intriguing.

Offline Charizard

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 23:25:33 »
I have also noticed on the variable weighed realforces that I get accidental key presses just from resting my fingers on some of the keys.

I'm sure that it would stop happening once you got used to the key weight. I'm just so used to 55g.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 00:05:58 »
I have also noticed on the variable weighed realforces that I get accidental key presses just from resting my fingers on some of the keys.

I'm sure that it would stop happening once you got used to the key weight. I'm just so used to 55g.

I'm really used to the 55g domes as well. I think those outside alphas where Q, A, and Z are are 30g right? Or is it 35g? I'm not so sure. In terms of typing feel, do you prefer the uniform weighting and snappiness of the 55g?

Offline Charizard

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 00:24:44 »

I'm really used to the 55g domes as well. I think those outside alphas where Q, A, and Z are are 30g right? Or is it 35g? I'm not so sure. In terms of typing feel, do you prefer the uniform weighting and snappiness of the 55g?

I believe they are 35g, but don't quote me on that.  For me personally I definitely prefer the heavier weight of the 55g domes, but I am fairly heavy handed, so your mileage may vary. Although I think you said you mainly type without using your pinky, so the outside alphas may feel pretty light to you.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 00:29:05 »

I believe they are 35g, but don't quote me on that.  For me personally I definitely prefer the heavier weight of the 55g domes, but I am fairly heavy handed, so your mileage may vary. Although I think you said you mainly type without using your pinky, so the outside alphas may feel pretty light to you.

But you wouldn't say that you hate the variable weighting either, right? I wish I could test it out before I buy it, but he's on another island in the PH, so it really isn't an option. Yeah, I don't use my pinky for the outer alphas except for some of the modifiers.

Offline Charizard

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 01:44:53 »

But you wouldn't say that you hate the variable weighting either, right? I wish I could test it out before I buy it, but he's on another island in the PH, so it really isn't an option. Yeah, I don't use my pinky for the outer alphas except for some of the modifiers.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate the variable weighted boards, no. The accidental key presses were just a minor annoyance that I'm sure would fade after a week or two of use.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 01:57:40 »

I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate the variable weighted boards, no. The accidental key presses were just a minor annoyance that I'm sure would fade after a week or two of use.

Although I'm sure they're different from the 55g snappiness and bounce, they're still pretty smooth? Will they give off the same thock or sound? :)

Offline Charizard

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 02:00:37 »

Although I'm sure they're different from the 55g snappiness and bounce, they're still pretty smooth? Will they give off the same thock or sound? :)

When hitting them with my pinky I don't really notice the difference between them and the heavier 45g alphas. Obviously they aren't quite as snappy as the 55g, but I didn't have problem with the switch feel really.  The thock was also the same or close enough that I didn't notice a difference.

Maybe someone else who has typed on both variants can chime in as well.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 02:08:28 »

When hitting them with my pinky I don't really notice the difference between them and the heavier 45g alphas. Obviously they aren't quite as snappy as the 55g, but I didn't have problem with the switch feel really.  The thock was also the same or close enough that I didn't notice a difference.

Maybe someone else who has typed on both variants can chime in as well.

I see. Hopefully the domes aren't worn down where they'd be too mushy already.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66586637@N03/23146318742/in/album-72157661442618381/

Some photos of the said 91U I'm looking at. For around 85 USD, I guess it isn't that bad. I can always salvage the case and keycaps if ever. I hope.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 07:46:35 »
Guess it depends what board you are getting - that should probably be your first choice

If you settle on a RF though I would say you should definitely get 55g switches - I like the feel of them a little more than the 45g of my HHKB and way more than my novatouch

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 10:27:19 »
Guess it depends what board you are getting - that should probably be your first choice

If you settle on a RF though I would say you should definitely get 55g switches - I like the feel of them a little more than the 45g of my HHKB and way more than my novatouch

I already have a RF with 55g switches. Ha! I wanted to try out the 45g of the HHKB but this deal presented itself for a RF91U with variable weighted switches. Hoping that I enjoy it so I probably don't have to justify buying an HHKB or Leopold down te line.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 16:21:32 »

I already have a RF with 55g switches. Ha! I wanted to try out the 45g of the HHKB but this deal presented itself for a RF91U with variable weighted switches. Hoping that I enjoy it so I probably don't have to justify buying an HHKB or Leopold down te line.

I should read more  :p