Author Topic: GE Unicomp Medical Model Ms  (Read 14990 times)

Offline Rayndalf

Offline Maledicted

Re: GE Unicomp Medical Model Ms
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 21:14:20 »
Those are cool as heck. I don't now if they're $200 cool, but thanks for sharing.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 21:21:28 »
https://clickykeyboards.com/product/2009-unicomp-model-m-manufactured-for-g-e-medical-systems-cardiac-cath/

Clickykeyboards has them in like new condition for $50 less.

Well, not the exact boards, but pretty close, plus with neat yellow keycaps! So I think the ebay ones are a little bit overpriced in this light.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 22:11:28 »
https://clickykeyboards.com/product/2009-unicomp-model-m-manufactured-for-g-e-medical-systems-cardiac-cath/

Clickykeyboards has them in like new condition for $50 less.

Well, not the exact boards, but pretty close, plus with neat yellow keycaps! So I think the ebay ones are a little bit overpriced in this light.

That one's cool, but not as cool as the black one with the GE logo if you ask me. I have always loved their logo. I have a 50s Zippo with it on it too.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 18:34:00 »
Everyone has a favorite old logo. I'm a Compaq guy myself, but I have to admit the GE logo is pretty sharp.

NCR's logo is so good it could make point of sale systems cool.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 21:43:55 »
Everyone has a favorite old logo. I'm a Compaq guy myself, but I have to admit the GE logo is pretty sharp.

NCR's logo is so good it could make point of sale systems cool.

I love Compaq too. They made my first computer. NCR just makes me think of the New California Republic. I can't think of anything else. lol

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 22:45:38 »
I love the old Zenith logo. It's like the old RKO logo you used to see on movies.

How ****ing metal is that?!

That being said, the GE is a really solid logo. I am weirdly considering apprehending one now.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 23:06:49 »
I love the old Zenith logo. It's like the old RKO logo you used to see on movies.

Show Image

How ****ing metal is that?!

That being said, the GE is a really solid logo. I am weirdly considering apprehending one now.

241846-0

Agreed. That board needs some major cleaning.

It was made in 2018 ... with a ps2 interface, lol. Maybe Unicomp has the parts for some lying around they would part with, or could assemble one for cheaper than the listing.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:26:25 »
Well, I offered him $50 for the GE, and that was a no go. I haven't payed any more than that even for a late 80s IBM, but the GE branding is still tempting.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 23:03:23 »
Oh good. That will make this offer seem better.

Now that I put it out there I'm regretting it. I hope that keyboard works.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 00:42:41 »
Did you get it for $80? The only offers I've seen accepted were 90% the BIN or more (usually say 7.5% savings)

Savings are savings, but the prices are usually on the high side. I got a clean K151L for $50 shipped a month ago and that's the only "deal" I've found in a while (BIN, I just had a hunch and searched "keyboard". It was on the first or second page).

Offline funkmon

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 10:53:01 »
Not yet, but sometimes if it's a person who picked up a keyboard for a song and is wildly overvaluing it based on searching for "black IBM" or something, when he gets in some low offers he might just take one just to sell it because he'll still get a significant profit.

Offline purdeaandrei

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 12:09:49 »
I doubt it's someone thinking this is an M13, they also have a white Unicomp:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-Marquette-CardioLab-Keyboard-2003809-002-REV-B-Unicomp-Model-M-21E-2/184246977840

At a similar price. This one also looks better in my opinion. I don't really love the Unicomp grey colorscheme.
I may be biased because I bought a used one, and the keys all yellowed at a different rate. Maybe Unicomp just mixed-and-matched plastic types, not sure. Most of the keys are two-piece, and looking at the keycaps up-close the plastic is all sparkly. And in some places you can see streaks, like they got the color by mixing various plastics, but not really mixing it properly. Definitely not my favorite plastic quality. To be fair though, the picture of the GE looks much better then my keyboard, but I still like the white one better. I would never pay the asking price for it though.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 20:01:56 »
Not yet, but sometimes if it's a person who picked up a keyboard for a song and is wildly overvaluing it based on searching for "black IBM" or something, when he gets in some low offers he might just take one just to sell it because he'll still get a significant profit.

That was sort of the intent of my offer. I figured if I got it, great, if I didn't, it might help the guy realize that some medical Unicomp made recently probably isn't worth a whole lot.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 22:20:40 »
Counter offer for $175. I think this one's out of our price range, boys.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 23:32:05 »
Its funny, I found the listings while looking for a medical device footpedal to re-purpose for computer use.

Hope you guys wait a couple days and try to offer again. With some persistent I think you could get it down to $120

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 22:45:30 »
Here's another one. This one's a little cheaper.
https://www.ebay.com/i/202912190995?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 10:24:11 »
Here's another one. This one's a little cheaper.
https://www.ebay.com/i/202912190995?

I spied that a bit back as well. I almost thought about sending it to the seller when he told me that he, "already had the best price available". But I figured when somebody says something like that, logic is a lost cause.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 18:44:13 »
I do that stuff sometimes. Most of the time, I reply with a lowball offer and genuinely explain why I'm giving a **** offer. "Look, this is what I'm willing to pay for this, and I know you grabbed this thing from the server room at work and it's free money, so just take it."

But today I saw a guy selling a "rare" 1984 Model M, and I showed him it was made in 89 and it was literally the single most common IBM keyboard ever made (1401). I wonder what he's going to do with that information.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 10:25:20 »
I do that stuff sometimes. Most of the time, I reply with a lowball offer and genuinely explain why I'm giving a **** offer. "Look, this is what I'm willing to pay for this, and I know you grabbed this thing from the server room at work and it's free money, so just take it."

But today I saw a guy selling a "rare" 1984 Model M, and I showed him it was made in 89 and it was literally the single most common IBM keyboard ever made (1401). I wonder what he's going to do with that information.

We may have seen the same board. I noticed something similar recently. I have gotten into enough pointless back and forths when sellers act like they've got the rarest of the rare, most collectible of the collectible, and won't budge at all on price even if I explain that they've either got something relatively common, or something that's so obscure that there's literally no demand, like the weird old Alps SKCC terminal board I picked up in person before the Ebay guys at the same place started trying to sell them for $200 each. I think I got the only one with fully intact caps and stems, which makes the price even more crazy. I still have no idea whether or not I'll ever figure out how to interface it with a modern computer, it was made by an obscure company forgotten by time, and contains switches that people aren't exactly on the hunt for.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 17:27:26 »

There's another one where I probably ain't getting the board. At this point, if I'm buying Model Ms and it's not hideously rare (or cool as hell like these medical ones), I'm paying like $45 shipped tops.

On the other hand, this guy took $100 shipped for the whole thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Vintage-Original-IBM-Model-M-Keyboards-For-Parts-or-Repair-SEE-PHOTOS/264302906046?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The lowball method works! :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2020, 17:32:07 by funkmon »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 09:35:33 »
There's another one where I probably ain't getting the board. At this point, if I'm buying Model Ms and it's not hideously rare (or cool as hell like these medical ones), I'm paying like $45 shipped tops.

Yeah, there's no reason to pay that much for a Model M that's not at least from the late 80s. Supply seems to be much higher than demand at the moment.

On the other hand, this guy took $100 shipped for the whole thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Vintage-Original-IBM-Model-M-Keyboards-For-Parts-or-Repair-SEE-PHOTOS/264302906046?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The lowball method works! :D

Nice one. That would have been a score even just for the caps.