Author Topic: Bahh.. 360hz monitor  (Read 1748 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Bahh.. 360hz monitor
« on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 06:20:13 »
Turns out it's a gimmick.

They don't allow ELMB/ ULMB backlight strobe in the 360hz mode,  so it's basically a blurry mess no better than any of the other blurry messes out there.

The strobe only works in lower hz modes, likely due to crosstalk, pixel sync problems.

As it is without strobe, Instead of seeing little dude run across a door gap, you'll see a little blur, completely pointless.

/Upset.

Offline yui

Re: Bahh.. 360hz monitor
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 08:45:32 »
i am not sure current backlighting tech can turn off that fast, LED have hysteresis, much less than old tungsten or CFL but their phosphorus glows for a bit after the actual diode is off, other than that i do not see why it would not be possible, 360Hz is pretty low frequency in the signaling world so i don't think it would induce cross talk, and pixel sync only would be a problem if the cpu (of the monitor) is not fast enough i guess
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 11:35:54 »
i am not sure current backlighting tech can turn off that fast, LED have hysteresis, much less than old tungsten or CFL but their phosphorus glows for a bit after the actual diode is off, other than that i do not see why it would not be possible, 360Hz is pretty low frequency in the signaling world so i don't think it would induce cross talk, and pixel sync only would be a problem if the cpu (of the monitor) is not fast enough i guess

The phosphor decay is not the problem, especially now that we have quantum dots available, which are much faster, there are pwm systems which operate at 960hz far higher than 360..

The issue is timing the pixels, top to bottom, if you flash it, the window is smaller and smaller, so you need an extremely precise dac. and in some cases, you need seperate strobe zones.

It gets to the point where it may be somewhat easier to do it on Oled instead,  HOWEVER, Tp4 is still firm on the fact that OLED are inappropriate for Serious computer use.

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 01:33:45 »
Quantum dots are not yet mature tech, so yeah they could but they also are very expensive and not really ready, and usually pwm is meant to dim a light output by turning it on and off while being fast enough to not create a strobe effect, so hysteresis is the friend of pwm and the enemy of strobing. either way i think that making your dream screen right now would be incredibly expensive.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)