Author Topic: radioluminescent key cap  (Read 4119 times)

Offline synerr

radioluminescent key cap
« on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 13:07:50 »
Has anyone seen, considered or just entertained the idea of a tritium illuminated key cap?

Given tiny tritium vial make it into watch arms I am sure that it is engineeringly feasible although likely not to come cheap.
Press any key to continue, any other key to quit.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Re: radioluminescent key cap
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 13:40:09 »
Unless you like rad exposure it sounds like a bad idea. I know those old radium divers watches killed most of the artists that made them, primarily due to them licking their brushes to keep the tips fine.

I know these are really low levels in a single cap. But I would expect the person making them to potentially be exposed to higher levels.

I'd prefer a safer glow in the dark material.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 13:45:12 by Wildcard »

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 13:49:25 »
lol health risks... Oh no not exceptionally low doses of radiation! I might die when I get old!  :rolleyes:

But realistically, I dont see the point. between leds and fibre optics, I think the whole keyboard illumination game is pretty well nailed down.
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 13:51:58 »
To be clear I'm not concerned for the buyers, only for those making them.

I think there are several safer alternatives that will accomplish the same thing.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 14:16:33 »
This story reminds me of the  Radioactive Boy Scout ...

Offline synerr

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:14:42 »
lol health risks... Oh no not exceptionally low doses of radiation! I might die when I get old!  :rolleyes:

But realistically, I dont see the point. between leds and fibre optics, I think the whole keyboard illumination game is pretty well nailed down.

Well, they will be luminous when all power is off, even in the case of an emp wiping out all electrics.

Radiation wise ... this is not radium.  Tritium vials come prefabricated so it's a matter of inserting them and securing them.  Some vials are meant for use in watch hands and gun sights.  So they're expected to take some punishment.  There doesn't however seem to be a lot of general availability:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?304479-Tritium

Meh ... better cook some dinner ...
Press any key to continue, any other key to quit.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:21:07 »

Well, they will be luminous when all power is off, even in the case of an emp wiping out all electrics.

Radiation wise ... this is not radium.  Tritium vials come prefabricated so it's a matter of inserting them and securing them.  Some vials are meant for use in watch hands and gun sights.  So they're expected to take some punishment.  There doesn't however seem to be a lot of general availability:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?304479-Tritium

Meh ... better cook some dinner ...

Talking about radioactive materials, and then immediately saying "better cook dinner" might give some people the wrong impression.

Bon appetite!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 21:44:20 »

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 22:04:25 »
 Tritium night sights on firearms have been used for a long time also, but I have not heard any deaths from the tritium.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 00:29:05 »
Tritium night sights on firearms have been used for a long time also, but I have not heard any deaths from the tritium.

For some reason the people who die from tritium don't seem to complain much.

All joking aside, if you keep them in those small vials I guess you could be safe. Just don't make your key caps too appetizing. And if you put them in a key cap with a radiation symbol you could skip the added warning label.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 November 2013, 00:30:38 by Wildcard »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 02:28:28 »
The toxic keyset comes to mind... If I remember correctly the problem was with watch faces painted with tritium paint. Rado and some other brands have used tritium vials in their watches for a long time. The vials are safe to use, however the level of illumination would mean they should be integrated in such a way that the vial is either on the surface or very close to it, or the keycap material is very clear.

Something that comes to mind is the use of rice grains in chinese pottery. Maybe a doubleshot molding technique with the vial held in place during the first cast could work.

On the other hand, there are already glow-in-the dark caps available:

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/marketplace.php#

http://techkeys.us/collections/keys

http://www.keypop.net/product/gid-glow-in-the-dark-gamer-keyset
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 07:18:06 »
Tritium glow only lasts about 5 to 10 years but does not need to be exposed to light to glow, but I don't think its practical for keycap applications.