Author Topic: I Found (The Best) Rainbow Keycaps  (Read 19539 times)

Offline MsYutai

I Found (The Best) Rainbow Keycaps
« on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 18:28:30 »
There are many a rainbow keycap out there, but these, in my opinion, are the coolest!!!

Found here on Taobao

I ordered them using TaoBaoFocus, and although it was a bit expensive, it was completely worth it! I got the 108 side printed set.

I really like typing on them as they are PBT and seem to be OEM profile.
Only problem is that my spacebar is not holding onto the stabilizers well, as in it's too loose. Any tips to fix that much appreciated.

You can read about my QFR case painting experience here

Album for the rainbow keys here

In the sun:

On my desk:

Height comparison:
Left to right: Rainbow PBT, Imsto Thick PBT, SP Nyan Cat, Stock QFR

Thickness comparison:
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 November 2013, 18:38:47 by MsYutai »
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: I Found (The Best) Rainbow Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 18:53:36 »
Use sandwich bag plastic in the cross of the point where the stabilizers enter the key cap.

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 19:19:21 »
How much did it cost total through the proxy? They look great.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 19:22:24 »
Not as thick as id liked it to be

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 19:37:57 »
I would go for Cherry KC104R

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 19:39:09 »
Show Image

such beauty
many color
branded cherry

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 19:55:00 »
Show Image

this also beautiful rainbow :thumb:

Offline cruk

• :> keys
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 22:43:21 »
Show Image

I didn't think I would give rainbow keycaps a thought until you posted this beauty  :eek:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 03:08:11 »
Show Image

I didn't think I would give rainbow keycaps a thought until you posted this beauty  :eek:

Most keycap sets look better when they are actually on your own keyboard.  Of course then you care so much for them that you don't want to touch them in case you get them dirty or make them shine.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online iri

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 08:43:36 »
i don't like printed keycaps, so i use these. they are from geekfeng's ebay shop.

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 06:23:38 »
I want to get one set as well, which one did you order?

Offline Human

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 10:16:57 »

Yup, that is called KBC POM. So far that is the most great looking and backlit compatible rainbow keys set out there.

But sadly it is EOLed and also the stem are extremely tight, so you will face great risk when you try to remove it off switches.

Offline acidtrip69

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 12:17:56 »
i want to oder somethings from there too. Can you tell me how to how the proxy works ? how do i order using the the proxy ?
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 12:27:33 by acidtrip69 »

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 13:38:26 »

Yup, that is called KBC POM. So far that is the most great looking and backlit compatible rainbow keys set out there.

But sadly it is EOLed and also the stem are extremely tight, so you will face great risk when you try to remove it off switches.

So those are not PBT?
The site say PBT  :'(

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 16:25:13 »
Couldn't you have gotten them from geekfeng? I get the impression he sells at very fair prices and gives geekhackers a discount too.

as long as prices are reasonable, we gotta support our own forummers, man! Geekfeng does stuff for the community like organize group buys; you should really check him out first.

There are many a rainbow keycap out there, but these, in my opinion, are the coolest!!!

Found here on Taobao

I ordered them using TaoBaoFocus, and although it was a bit expensive, it was completely worth it! I got the 108 side printed set.

I really like typing on them as they are PBT and seem to be OEM profile.
Only problem is that my spacebar is not holding onto the stabilizers well, as in it's too loose. Any tips to fix that much appreciated.

You can read about my QFR case painting experience here

Album for the rainbow keys here

In the sun:
Show Image

On my desk:
Show Image

Height comparison:
Left to right: Rainbow PBT, Imsto Thick PBT, SP Nyan Cat, Stock QFR
Show Image

Thickness comparison:
Show Image

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline n0rdlad

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 06:51:17 »
- Filco MJ2 104 MX Brown -

Offline Human

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 08:36:27 »

So those are not PBT?

I mean this one, this is KBC POM.

Online iri

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 09:26:50 »

So those are not PBT?

I mean this one, this is KBC POM.
Show Image

imo, the OP's caps look better than mine. and PBT feels better than POM.
and the stem gets less tight once a keycap spends some time on a stem.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury