Author Topic: [IC] Reflex & Paradox - 60% O-Ring Mount (GB Preparation)  (Read 75740 times)

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
While waiting for the master proto, would you mind updating some of the sound test from the conceptual proto? Or have you already done that but I completely spaced out?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
While waiting for the master proto, would you mind updating some of the sound test from the conceptual proto? Or have you already done that but I completely spaced out?

Perhaps

Offline Windeh

• a no name

There have been no sound tests yet as stock halos sounds like arse.

I am lubing some cherry blacks and would hopefully receive the Reflex and color samples by this week. The sound test should go up soon after, with GB thread going up after receiving the Paradox sample next week.

There will likely be some changes to the available anodizing colors as well.

Offline MiKeyy

I am lubing some cherry blacks and would hopefully receive the Reflex and color samples by this week. The sound test should go up soon after, with GB thread going up after receiving the Paradox sample next week.

;D ;D

Offline vikipedeer

Looking forward to the anodising colour samples!
Current board:KBD75V2, Whitefox, Time TKL

say yes to bacon overlord

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Had the plate locally anodized deep red...

208790-0

More photos:

More
208784-1

208786-2

All ready to go!
208788-3

Offline vikipedeer

(Attachment Link)

More photos:

More
does this mean sound vid soon?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
Love it!

Offline Windeh

• a no name

(Attachment Link)

More photos:

More
does this mean sound vid soon?

Maybe over the weekend...  ;)

Offline juaninamilli

But... But... But, north facing LEDs

(Attachment Link)

More photos:

More

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
But... But... But, north facing LEDs

(Attachment Link)

More photos:

More

Didn't notice that, what why?

Offline bthezebra

Is the north facing switch layout final?

Offline juaninamilli

The PCB won't be included. You supply your own.

Offline bthezebra

The PCB won't be included. You supply your own.

Good catch, so hype for reflex.

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Yeah only realized that the Satan GH60 PCB is north facing after receiving them...

Of course, you are free to choose your own WK/WKL PCB, and I have some Zeal60 Rev. 4 that are south facing and USB C. :thumb:

Anyway, I'll be using SA Caps, so shouldn't have an effect on typing.

Offline 1023andy

How are things going? Is the master prototype being made?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
How are things going? Is the master prototype being made?

Yes

Offline vikipedeer

btw any estimate when this will launch as gb?

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Got the Reflex yesterday, and spent the day measuring & testing the master sample. The machining is top notch, really happy with the tolerances the factory was able to keep.

208922-0

208924-1

Look Ma, no touching!
208926-2

Working on some typing test videos, trying not to embarrass myself with <40 WPM...

The GB will start after receiving the Paradox and anodizing color samples, which should reach me sometime next week, and determining final anodizing color options. I am also looking at anodizing the cases locally to better control the process, as there is an anodizing factory within walking distance of my workplace.

Sorry for the wait guys, but the group buy will not start until all the pieces for a smooth production run are in place, and the quality of the samples are to my satisfaction.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 December 2018, 10:14:10 by Windeh »

Offline bthezebra

Got the Reflex yesterday, and spent the day measuring & testing the master sample. The machining is top notch, really happy with the tolerances the factory was able to keep.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Look Ma, no touching!
(Attachment Link)

Working on some typing test videos, trying not to embarrass myself with <40 WPM...

The GB will start after receiving the Paradox and anodizing color samples, which should reach me sometime next week, and determining final anodizing color options. I am also looking at anodizing the cases locally to better control the process, as there is an anodizing factory within walking distance of my workplace.

Sorry for the wait guys, but the group buy will not start until all the pieces for a smooth production run are in place, and the quality of the samples are to my satisfaction.
So good need muh speakerboxxx

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
Nice. Can't wait for sound test! Especially with the Paradox.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Ahh.  Don't know which I like better. They both look amazing. Reflex grill is awesome.  Paradox clean lines are hot.

Offline beekey

Looking at the plate, a split space layout is possible? But only stab support for 7u? Or are the holes just for acoustics?

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
Looking at the plate, a split space layout is possible? But only stab support for 7u? Or are the holes just for acoustics?

Good question. I guess the layout option is a little bit ambiguous. The plate looks like it supports split space, but Windeh has only confirmed on split backspace thus far. I would love to have split space support, but since that compromises the rigidity of the plate, I doubt this idea would go through.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2018, 00:21:04 by otanishock »

Offline Windeh

• a no name
The supported layout is per the OP:
  • Layout: 60% ANSI WK/WKL with optional split backspace & stepped caps lock

All plate "holes" with rounded corners are relief cuts.

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Added split right shift in the description for clarification;
  • Layout: 60% ANSI WK/WKL with split right shift and optional split backspace & stepped caps lock

Offline vikipedeer

so much hype

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Sound test for the Reflex.

Please forgive the terrible typing & recording equipment... but hopefully you get an idea on the stock sounds for the Reflex.
  • Reflex Case
  • Honeywell ABS SA Caps
  • Cherry Black lubed with Tribosys 3204 (the cherries are still quite scratchy, as could be heard from the video)
  • Brass Plate
  • 70 Duro O-Ring (Viton)
  • on Ikea plywood Desk & Novelkeys Deskmat

Sound recorded using Sennheiser headset microphone...

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu

Please forgive the terrible typing & recording equipment... but hopefully you get an idea on the stock sounds for the Reflex.
  • Reflex Case
  • Honeywell ABS SA Caps
  • Cherry Black lubed with Tribosys 3204 (the cherries are still quite scratchy, as could be heard from the video)
  • Brass Plate
  • 70 Duro O-Ring (Viton)

Sounds pretty good, hard to say with SA caps but I can hear the gasket difference

Offline Windeh

• a no name

Sounds pretty good, hard to say with SA caps but I can hear the gasket difference

Yeah really wanted to try GMK but only got into Space Cadet & Modern Dolch... and both are taking their sweet time to ship. :(

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu

Yeah really wanted to try GMK but only got into it for Space Cadet & Modern Dolch... and both are taking their sweet time to ship. :(

So what is your take on it in person? The gaskets made a big difference? The spacebar cut out?

Offline Windeh

• a no name

Yeah really wanted to try GMK but only got into it for Space Cadet & Modern Dolch... and both are taking their sweet time to ship. :(

So what is your take on it in person? The gaskets made a big difference? The spacebar cut out?

Changing from 70 Duro to 45 Duro O-rings the difference is quite obvious in person. My personal favorite setup is to have the 45 Duro on the center posts, and 70 Duro on the sides.

Having never typed on aluminium plates, the sensation is quite strange, with more flex and much bassier sounds compared to the brass plate.

Pressing the plate down while installed in the case you can see that the cutout is flexing, and the space bar is much bassier compared to my TX60, although the mounting might have also contributed to the sound differences. But for sure less harsh feeling and less bounce when bottoming.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2018, 07:20:55 by Windeh »

Offline wixxzblu

• Reflex Case
  • Honeywell ABS SA Caps
  • Brass Plate
  • 70 Duro O-Ring (Viton)

It would be much appreciated if you could do future typing tests with cherry profile caps ABS/PBT, i feel like its a better reference point than SA, since SA sounds more the same on any board.

Offline Windeh

• a no name
[It would be much appreciated if you could do future typing tests with cherry profile caps ABS/PBT, i feel like its a better reference point than SA, since SA sounds more the same on any board.

It is interesting you say that... I have 3 boards with SA caps, and I swear they all sound vastly different.  :-[

I understand wanting a standardized profile for sound comparison, but everything from room size, table material, deskmat, microphone, typing force etc will give a different sound signature even with the same board.

Comparing sound signature from one person to the next, without standardized setups, is inherently flawed. But it is done because something is better then nothing. And in this case, I have SA caps, but no cherry profile caps, so something > nothing.  ;)

As long as I keep my setup consistent across my testing, I think they serve their purpose as a comparison between my setups.  :thumb:

Edit: I will do some sound tests with cherry profile caps once I receive my Space Cadet / Modern Dolch of course, but that will most likely happen after the GB as they are not yet shipping...
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2018, 09:06:58 by Windeh »

Offline Windeh

• a no name
It would be much appreciated if you could do future typing tests with cherry profile caps ABS/PBT, i feel like its a better reference point than SA, since SA sounds more the same on any board.

By the way, love your board currently in IC... following closely...  ;D

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
Thanks for the update. This confirms my theory that gasket mount does make the bottom out sound a bit different which it does, and it does in a very good way. Hopefully the acoustics would remain similar on the Paradox as well.

Offline wixxzblu

Thanks for the update. This confirms my theory that gasket mount does make the bottom out sound a bit different which it does, and it does in a very good way. Hopefully the acoustics would remain similar on the Paradox as well.

yeah im hoping paradox sounds just as good

Offline Windeh

• a no name

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
(Attachment Link)

Oof, GB when?

Oh, guess I am hawking this thread lol.

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
(Attachment Link)

Oof, GB when?

Oh, guess I am hawking this thread lol.

^ $10^6 question. Also do you have more photos from different angle?
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 December 2018, 20:25:31 by otanishock »

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Another photo of the Paradox
209115-0

Just waiting for a part to come in tomorrow, and I will update with some GB details.

However I would like to get some bad news out of the way first, so that you guys have some time to decide if it affects your decision to join the GB or not.

Unfortunately, both of these options are by far the most popular in the IC polls, and it is regretful that they will not be available for the GB as an option.

• Blue Grey WILL BE REMOVED as an anodizing color option.
  • Copper Plate will NOT be offered as an optional extra.

With the bad news out of the way, let me give a little insight on why the most popular options have been removed if you are interested.

Blue Grey was first offered because it is the most trendy color of 2018, maybe as people try to capture some of what made the old OTD boards so classic and sought after.

What IS blue grey? I believe the only shade that is "Correct" for this community is the color ran for the OTD 356.2. A little off, and the color is a disappointment, maybe so much so that a refund will be requested. I even see GB Runners test out tens of samples with different dye ratios to find the correct shade of Blue-Grey. I do not have the budget or the connection (yet) to play that game, so I will not waste resources that will surely be better spent elsewhere on the GB.

The copper plate. I was very excited to offer this option for the GB, and was in a unique position where the factory I am working with offered this material. However a few key reasons means that I had to drop the material as a plate option;
  • My design requires that the plate MUST be within a tolerance of ±0.1mm on the 6 mounting post positions, or the plate will simply not fit.
  • My plate design, although not too complex, removes a lot of the material from the plate, weakening the overall rigidity.
  • Copper is a tricky material to lasercut. It is very reflective to laser, and can easily deform from the heat of the cutting.
So with all the factors above, the factory could not cut a copper plate accurate enough to be within the tolerances required after 2 (very expensive) attempts, and we agree that dropping the option was the most logical decision. I am relieved that this issue was found with samples purchased at my own cost, and not had happen during the GB.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

For removing the Blue-Grey option, I will be adding the following popular colors as an alternative for 6063 Aluminium anodizing;
  • Deep Red
  • Royal/Navy Blue
  • Silver
  • Rose Gold (Maybe, will see after samples made)

In addition to the original
  • Dark Grey
  • Black

There will be no change to the Hard Coat Anodizing in Matt Black for 7075-T6 aluminium.

Royal/Dark purple was close to making the list, however I believe that people like the idea of a Purple keyboard, but few actually spend the money to buy one.

I will be moving the sandblasting & anodizing to be done locally in Singapore to better control the finish. Pantone colors will be shown before the GB, and color samples will be made during the GB. You can change colors up to 1 week after the color samples are made and posted.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 December 2018, 08:06:31 by Windeh »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Sounds reasonable to me.  If you want to release the plate file at some point, people could choose to have laserboost cut a copper plate at their own expense.  They do a fantastic job with the material

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Sounds reasonable to me.  If you want to release the plate file at some point, people could choose to have laserboost cut a copper plate at their own expense.  They do a fantastic job with the material

I will be happy to send the plate file at buyer's request.

However, I would urge anyone wanting to cut their own copper plate to check with their chosen vendor their guarantee tolerance for laser cutting copper, and in the event that the copper plate does not fit, if there is a good refund policy...  :blank:

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
I'm going for 7075 so that doesn't really have an effect much on me. Moving from the era of Korean boards with just silver and black, any other color vibe is already appreciated. Anything new regarding the tolerance issue being fixed with the 2nd prototype?

Offline Windeh

• a no name
I'm going for 7075 so that doesn't really have an effect much on me. Moving from the era of Korean boards with just silver and black, any other color vibe is already appreciated. Anything new regarding the tolerance issue being fixed with the 2nd prototype?

The issue has been resolved.  :thumb:

Offline ptiede

This looks great. I was also going to try to get a 7075 board as well, so I am just stoked to get this soon!

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
Sounds great. So I'm guessing GB is going to happen very soon? Anything else you are waiting on in particular?

Offline vikipedeer

Navy blue option woooo
can't wait now!

Offline airlangga07

My wallet has prepared for this GB.

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Sounds great. So I'm guessing GB is going to happen very soon? Anything else you are waiting on in particular?

Last plate sample will arrive tomorrow. If there are no issue, I will apply for a GB post, and depending on when that is approved, determine the actual GB date.