Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1359167 times)

Offline iri

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #6350 on: Wed, 31 July 2024, 09:42:45 »
Macbook keyboards are horrendous.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Igorzjeh

« Reply #6351 on: Fri, 02 August 2024, 04:07:10 »
If macbook keyboards are horrendous... what are Acer, Asus or HP keyboards?

Offline iri

« Reply #6352 on: Fri, 02 August 2024, 06:18:59 »
Slightly less horrendous (typing this on an Asus)
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline bigmaxnonions

« Reply #6353 on: Fri, 02 August 2024, 10:28:34 »
I think its weird when people post pictures of their boards on vendors Discord channels that do not have any products that said vendor sold. Eg posting a picture on, say, Novelkeys Discord, but its a CannonKeys board and keycaps. IDK, it just seems silly to be posting pictures of stuff on a vendors platform that you can't even buy from the vendor.
Skog Reboot, INK Blacks, GMK Stealth | Neito, POMs, ePBT Ramenstop | KARA, Gat Yellows, KAT Cyberspace | AVA, Black Pandas, GMK Arch | QK65, Ergo Clears, GMK Laser | W1-AT, LE Creams, ePBT WoB | Odin R2, Meteor Whites, GMK Hooty | QK60, Boba U4Ts, PBT Notion | Liberi, New Nixies, GMK Grand Prix | Cypher R4, Root Beer Floats, (Undecided, currently PBT Stone) | Cycle7, POMs, GMK Striker | Neo Ergo, MX Blacks, GMK Symbiote

Sent from my SM Smart Fridge via TapTalk

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #6354 on: Fri, 09 August 2024, 00:39:03 »
The extension key set I want in your group buy isn't novelties.  It's packs of matching profile/colour wave blanks.  Relegendables are close, but they're gonna feel very different if you want to mix them next to regular caps.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Mandan

« Reply #6355 on: Sat, 10 August 2024, 11:22:01 »
I actually like the "plasticky" feel of the IBM Model M better than the "pingy metal" feel of the Model F.

Too bad all the Ms have that abominable "inverted-T" layout, much makes them virtually unusable for me.

Offline wjrii

« Reply #6356 on: Sat, 10 August 2024, 23:21:13 »
I actually like the "plasticky" feel of the IBM Model M better than the "pingy metal" feel of the Model F.

Too bad all the Ms have that abominable "inverted-T" layout, much makes them virtually unusable for me.

Fingers are in a row, down is used more often than up.  The inverted T is ideal.  M's still have a numlock key and the low-effort secondary functions on the number pad.  If you really insist on a bad nav cluster, 122-key and Unsaver model M's generally have the five-key "full T."

You certainly win my personal award for living up to the thread title, LOL.  No hard feelings.   :D

Offline Osidian

« Reply #6357 on: Sun, 11 August 2024, 22:08:59 »
We like to color match our switches and stabilizers. Even though nobody will see, little details matter  :D

Offline LavenderB

• I believe in unix control supremacy
« Reply #6358 on: Thu, 15 August 2024, 05:43:13 »
I tried new old stock blue Alps at a meetup and didn't like them all that much. It was like I could actually feel the click leaves bending away from my fingers. However, if I actually typed on them for an extended period of time I think might get used to the sensation and learn to appreciate them as others do.
Safa | 1993 UK ISO-DE Model M  | Frog TKL | 3d printed bakeneko | Akko 5075s

Offline rxc92

« Reply #6359 on: Thu, 22 August 2024, 10:16:17 »
I tried new old stock blue Alps at a meetup and didn't like them all that much. It was like I could actually feel the click leaves bending away from my fingers. However, if I actually typed on them for an extended period of time I think might get used to the sensation and learn to appreciate them as others do.

That's a very rational take. We're all creatures of habit and very used to the switches we type on daily, and Cherry-style is still the most common by far. But give it a couple of days and I'm sure you could get used to a new switch type!
Reminds me of back in the day when I got the chance to feel out a pristine Model F. Totally unlike anything I had used, but the feel was absolutely delicious.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #6360 on: Thu, 22 August 2024, 11:26:04 »

As someone who is a die hard Alps fan, and someone who just picked up some Blue Alps (in the mail currently), I see this as a hot take. I have been daily driving Alps Damped Creams at work for about a year now and much prefer it to my lubed Zealios from one of their first runs. It's a different kind of tactility for sure. It's been lore for as long as I have been in the hobby that Alps Blue SKCM switches are the "best" clicky switch and offer near unrivaled smoothness. But, we are also 10+ years further into the hobby and new plastics/molds/manufacturing may have made that less true.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | 2x Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6361 on: Thu, 22 August 2024, 13:44:56 »

we are also 10+ years further into the hobby

Probably true, and in decades past the direct comparison that most clicky users made was between Cherry and Alps. Unfortunately, Cherry blue switches are dreadful and the noise was annoying. Landing pads helped a little but not much.

How the hell or why did you become a DEMO-crat?” He asked.
“Long story, but it started with Nixon, then I was educated and know history as the Republicans are all about getting power to exploit it to their benefit, while Democratic politicians, for the most part, are for distributing things more equitably. I’ll finish with the overwhelming sociological and psychological evidence in studies that identify that conservatives see the world through inherent inequity where the elite or those who seek to be elite are superior to the commoners, and it is they who should lead. At the same time, liberals look at the world as inequality and seek to make the world more equitable, and that all should be represented. Ultimately, conservatives trust those in authority, while liberals inherently distrust those in authority to take advantage for themselves or their constituency.”
He looks up and says, “No one ever explained that to me, and then asks, “If **** Cheney thinks that Trump is that bad, then it's not about DEMO-crats vs Republicans, is it.”
I resume walking and then say, “Hey, you got it; it's the Democratic and old Republican parties versus Trumpism, which is American fascism aided by the Russians.”
- RWN 2024-09008

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #6362 on: Thu, 22 August 2024, 13:52:38 »

Probably true, and in decades past the direct comparison that most clicky users made was between Cherry and Alps. Unfortunately, Cherry blue switches are dreadful and the noise was annoying. Landing pads helped a little but not much.
[/quote]

Cherry Blues are IMO the worst switch Cherry makes. The sound is both loud and piercing. I also find them too light for my liking. I was a fan of Cherry White and Cherry Greens. My favorite switch of all time is still (cleaned and lubed) Alps SKCM "Clicky" Whites. They feel amazing and give just enough of a "click". 10/10. I am not quite ready to share, but I have been doing some collection bolstering that I am very excited about.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | 2x Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6363 on: Thu, 22 August 2024, 15:17:50 »

(cleaned and lubed) Alps SKCM "Clicky" Whites

Arguments have been made that there is no difference between the earliest generation of Alps white and blue.
How the hell or why did you become a DEMO-crat?” He asked.
“Long story, but it started with Nixon, then I was educated and know history as the Republicans are all about getting power to exploit it to their benefit, while Democratic politicians, for the most part, are for distributing things more equitably. I’ll finish with the overwhelming sociological and psychological evidence in studies that identify that conservatives see the world through inherent inequity where the elite or those who seek to be elite are superior to the commoners, and it is they who should lead. At the same time, liberals look at the world as inequality and seek to make the world more equitable, and that all should be represented. Ultimately, conservatives trust those in authority, while liberals inherently distrust those in authority to take advantage for themselves or their constituency.”
He looks up and says, “No one ever explained that to me, and then asks, “If **** Cheney thinks that Trump is that bad, then it's not about DEMO-crats vs Republicans, is it.”
I resume walking and then say, “Hey, you got it; it's the Democratic and old Republican parties versus Trumpism, which is American fascism aided by the Russians.”
- RWN 2024-09008

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #6364 on: Thu, 22 August 2024, 16:42:12 »
Arguments have been made that there is no difference between the earliest generation of Alps white and blue.

I have both pine and bamboo SKCM Whites. There is a difference. I need to refurb/lube the bamboo whites, but they feel significant less good, not bad, just less good than the pine housings.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #6365 on: Mon, 26 August 2024, 19:23:06 »

I'm the same except they weren't nos blues. They just didn't feel impactful to me, I do have an alps board with my m0115 and I do like how the orange alps feel (well as good as bad alps can be lol) so maybe if I try them again I will like them more. I've also tried other switches with click leafs and have liked them so that's a sign that blues might be the same.

Cherry Blues are IMO the worst switch Cherry makes. The sound is both loud and piercing. I also find them too light for my liking. I was a fan of Cherry White and Cherry Greens. My favorite switch of all time is still (cleaned and lubed) Alps SKCM "Clicky" Whites. They feel amazing and give just enough of a "click". 10/10. I am not quite ready to share, but I have been doing some collection bolstering that I am very excited about.

I think the blues are fine, the worst are like the heavier whites and greens for me, just because the spring weighting is way to high. But the mechanism that's in them isn't as good as like click leaf or even click bar clickies, but that doesn't mean that they are bad really.

keyboard collection - fjell
More
cherry blacks - unlubed - filmed and springswapped with tx 55g mediums - alu Plate | pretty happy with this, the blacks were cherry picked so they weren't that scratchy to begin with, but currently breaking them in, may lube them with a dry lube like ro59 or ptfe powder.
| hhkb bt
More
lubed with tribosys 3203 | like topre a lot, prefer it lubed but did make less tactile but that might have been a skill issue. probably will get more tactile over time as the domes age.
| m0115
More
bad orange alps lol | definitely needs a restoration. planning on wax boiling them and maybe a replacement pcb because the board has only 2 key rollover apparently.
| praxis
More
gateron yellows - lubed with 205g0 - 62g tx mediums - pc plate | probably my favourite keyboard already, feels super nice and sounds pretty good, it's got a great layout as well. probably gonna build this with mx browns, I feel like it would suit the board more.
| camo filco
More
stock with silent reds | Pretty cool looking board, the silent reds are actually good, they are smooth and I don't mind the mushiness (it's not even that mushy as well). the layout is pretty weird, but is useable. will probably mod this in the future. maybe a pcb and plate swap, change the keycaps to something dolch like, and also spring swap the springs in the silent reds.
| ibm model f at
More
stock, needs a cleaning and probably replacement foam. Do plan to change layout so it has split bs and rs, as well as ansi enter.

collection in pixel art
More

Offline grids

« Reply #6366 on: Sun, 01 September 2024, 05:05:03 »
High-profile keyboards should be discontinued.
Wireless keyboards should be discontinued.

Offline grids

« Reply #6367 on: Tue, 03 September 2024, 17:20:20 »
Mice are still very helpful.

Offline iri

« Reply #6368 on: Wed, 04 September 2024, 15:44:07 »
cats are more helpful though

I'll show myself out

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Scrambler_S

• Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #6369 on: Sun, 08 September 2024, 07:15:22 »
Rubrehaku "art" is lame AF.