Author Topic: IntelliStation 9229 on the way  (Read 12367 times)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
IntelliStation 9229 on the way
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 20:00:44 »
Quote from: shag;193469
Show Image

"After studying the specifications, researching consumer feedback on the web, analyzing MTBF, and evaluating pricing trade offs, I've decided which server to buy."

"Which one is that?"

"The blue one."
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 20:03:08 »
Obviously to match all your Cisco switches...

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 20:04:44 »
hey wait a sec...after doing brief research on what a Cisco machine of that nature is, I'm finally getting it...

The example in the photo is an OEM'd IntelliStation case. Look how the front panels fit together and take into account that the top bit on the IBM is cosmetic only.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 20:11:40 »
Research? That occurred to me after looking at the two of them...

Offline shag

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 20:16:22 »
Interesting remarks on everyone's part.

Cisco uses x86/x64 servers for most of their voice and collaboration applications (CallManager, Unity Voicemail, IPCC contact center, Presence Server, etc). They've OEM'd a bunch of servers from IBM and HP (even Dell once). Most if not all MCS servers are IBM System x or HP ProLiant servers with a Cisco bezel.

This particular machine was obtained for a steal on eBay because nobody knew what it really was. This machine is actually an IBM x3200 type 4362 (Xeon 3050, 2GB RAM, 160HB SATA HDD). Nothing more, nothing less, except for the front bezel. This was one of the very few tower servers being recased by Cisco. Good server, bad workstation (ATI ES1000 on-board video and no PCIx16 slot)... I bought it because it was a tower and it was dirt cheap compared to a similarly-configured x3200. Lovely machine, makes for good conversation!

Why did Cisco do this? Simply because a Cisco-branded server is a standardized configuration and can be covered by a Smartnet or other service contract, which often inclused next-business-day hardware replacement, just like routers & switches. Makes for an easier support process for Cisco VoIP customers.

(Yes, I deal with these systems on a daily basis.)

Offline shag

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 20:20:33 »
Here's a non-rebranded x3200 as a comparison:

Everything behind the two bezels is the same.

Offline shag

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 20:26:18 »
Here's an x206 with a Cisco bezel (note the similarities with an IntelliStation A Pro, or a 6xxx-series non-dual-core Z Pro):

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 22:11:36 »
Yeah I've seen a bunch of HP DL360s with Cisco coloured bezels on ebay before

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 03:24:57 »
Quote from: shag;193469
Joining the brotherhood of IntelliStation owners...

Show Image

E-IBM, here's the picture I wanted to send you but miserably failed. Disregard the rubbish keyboard on the Cisco server.

Mmmm, that's one good rubbish keyboard.

The cisco-branded bezel is the most disgusting teal I've ever seen (they couldn't use a more primary colour?). And they removed the hexagonal pattern on the air vent with little squares instead. I guess you could always get an IBM front bezel and put one on.

I find it weird IBM put a very basic DVD drive in the Z Pro, my M Pros came with one like in the cisco-branded one (well my older M pro came with two drives, a standard DVD one that burns CDs, and one that can burn DVDs; IBM never even hooked them up properly, I don't know what they were thinking).

EDIT: scratch that, it looks like a DVD-multi drive, but then again, that might just mean it reads DVDs and CDs but can't burn anything.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 03:59:44 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;193571
The cisco-branded bezel is the most disgusting teal I've ever seen (they couldn't use a more primary colour?).

That's one of their company colors:
http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2006/CiscoLogoGuidelines.pdf
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline shag

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 17:57:21 »
The teal isn't so bad, the pictures make them look worse.

As for Cisco's margins, I have to agree with that!

With regards to the optical drives, the Z doesn't have a burner, but I have no idea if the MCS's optical drive can burn CDRW's... it does say "ReWriteable" on it.

I might just dump them and go buy some cheap LG DVD burner at Future Shop. They're cheap nowadays and even include LightScribe...