Author Topic: Holee Mod & Tape Mod to a HyperX Alloy FPS Pro  (Read 755 times)

• Website
Holee Mod & Tape Mod to a HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
« on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 18:35:09 »
Hi, I made a very useful modding to this popular board.

Offline G

Re: Holee Mod & Tape Mod to a HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 20:22:13 »
Nice job, acoustics greatly improved!
Desoldering these gaming boards can be a real pain, took ages to harvest the reds from my Corsair... Wonder what the point of the tape on the back of the pcb is in this case? I thought it was for reducing resonance in large, open boards. Does it impact the sound of the pcb itself making it sound "thicker"? I don't know if you would even be able to hear that through the top plate...
Typing on a: Lynn Montage | Cherry MX Red | Top Mounted Aluminum Plate | Cherry 3000SAV dye-sub

• Website
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 23:26:10 »
Nice job, acoustics greatly improved!
Desoldering these gaming boards can be a real pain, took ages to harvest the reds from my Corsair... Wonder what the point of the tape on the back of the pcb is in this case? I thought it was for reducing resonance in large, open boards. Does it impact the sound of the pcb itself making it sound "thicker"? I don't know if you would even be able to hear that through the top plate...

In this case, the tape mod is not appreciated. I think it is because of the top mounting of the PCB with the board.
I've done it on other boards and it sounds more poppy in conjunction with the PE foam mod.
On this keyboard it is more noticeable.

Offline G

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 23:52:08 »
No wonder. In a standard gaming board's low profile assembly, anything between the pcb and lower case isn't going to impact sound much with there being so little empty space, the bottom basically wraps around. You're basically just hearing the switches, metal switchplate and keycaps. The other keyboard is roomier, thus there is some echoing in the bottom case to be dampened. Guess you don't really need to put much consideration into this type of mod though, it's quick and easily reversible. I think the M71 sounded a bit better before tape, it constricts it too much, but it's all a matter of taste.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2024, 23:56:29 by G »
Typing on a: Lynn Montage | Cherry MX Red | Top Mounted Aluminum Plate | Cherry 3000SAV dye-sub

Offline ParkerHayes

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 April 2024, 06:36:10 »
Can I ask a question?

• Website
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 April 2024, 10:28:20 »