Author Topic: and another good-bye  (Read 14889 times)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
and another good-bye
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 11:46:05 »
Quote from: itlnstln;211414
Wow, exactly 7:32 a.m.  7:31 is OK, but 7:32, that's verboten.

I was thinking the same thing myself.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
and another good-bye
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 11:49:34 »
Do what exactly?

Offline instantkamera

and another good-bye
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 11:50:12 »
Quote from: ripster;211420
Please do it at home.

Show Image

Those zombie subway patrons are surprisingly well restrained
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Voixdelion

and another good-bye
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 12:03:10 »
Quote from: gr1m;211278
I didn't react to anything in your post other but for this one, I felt I had to comment. It's wrong. Take a look around, read some threads. This forum as actually on the low end of the friendly spectrum. Maybe it's all the assburgers.

Interesting word choice here.

Quote from: instantkamera;211302
. . .
TL;DR
. . .

To be sure, iMav, an excellent example of case in point...
(*Rueful grin*) and an opportunity to exercise a little practicing of what I preach.  My original offense on the other forum happened to be taken over my first introduction to this particular little acronym of idiocy, but if its use here was intentional and not simply true, then it was a cleverly baited hook, and my decision to exercise a little personal restraint in hitting "submit reply" was affirmed by your response.  If simply true, well, I guess that's just bit of a shame, since clearly instantkamera would have been one who might have gained something from some consideration of that particular commentary...

Quote from: instantkamera;211302

Bribery will get you nowhere.

Oh bribery is unnecessary, I have boobs.  Really kind of incredible how far you can get with those. =D

Quote from: Soarer;211399
I wasn't only looking at post counts, but join dates as well. My point really is that the major factor perhaps isn't a difference in demographic, but a combination of lots of changes that happen as a forum evolves. The forum changes, the reasons why people arrive here change, and people (the old-timers) can change. I just don't agree with the 'different crowd' theory :)

I thought you made some excellent  points, and your post supports the idea that it takes more than a few ill-considered remarks to un-make a sensible community.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline J888www

and another good-bye
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 12:11:03 »
We only need one Napoleon to bind us and rule us all, moderators will make GH into 1984, many Napoleons and Geek Hack will fall. Not good, not good at all..........

I've been to forums which make GH seem very tame.
Any remark would be answered with the obligatory "STFU" for shame, and I "forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us".
I do draw the line when they attack mothers, it is better to "let perpetual light shine upon them, may they rest in peace".
Then I "deliver us from evil" exit and leave.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 August 2010, 12:49:14 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline instantkamera

and another good-bye
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 12:23:35 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;211429
and an opportunity to exercise a little practicing of what I preach.  

Unleash the inner beast, damn you!!

...it was a ... baited hook.

Im clearly not very clever. I guess that's what I get for including within the post a clip from the year's worst flick.

Oh bribery is unnecessary, I have boobs.  Really kind of incredible how far you can get with those. =D

So that would be ... boobery then?
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline gr1m

and another good-bye
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 13:19:32 »
Quote from: kishy;211447
Orchestrated? I'm flattered that you think I have this type of influence, but of the "100 PMs" that iMav received, I sent not a single one (except regarding John Deer).

It was your conversation with MW that got him to say the thing that got him banned, I called it as I saw it. Sorry if I was wrong.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
and another good-bye
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 13:43:26 »
I think I know the two or three folks who sent the PM's anyways.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Voixdelion

and another good-bye
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 13:46:40 »
Quote from: gr1m;211461
It was your conversation with MW that got him to say the thing that got him banned, I called it as I saw it. Sorry if I was wrong.

Wow. Indeed, intentionally positioning someone to hang themselves in that manner  would have been a profoundly Machiavellian maneuver.  I'd be flattered  too if anyone thought I had that much cunning, but on the flip side, I'd  also be more than moderately concerned about what they must think of me  to attribute that motivation.   From what I have observed, though, Kishy  has not demonstrated any pattern of malicious intent that would justify  such a suspicion.   In fact, I think the general example he has set  would  instead actually serve to refute that idea directly.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
and another good-bye
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 13:49:30 »
He used to be nice, but got pretty nasty. However, it was his post about "MS Windows is back at his BS again" after I came back that was the last straw. So now he's on my ignore list.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Voixdelion

and another good-bye
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 13:51:20 »
Quote from: ripster;211479
Need a poll that shows how we voted.  A public poll.  

I hate public polls.

I think publicity is inherent in the nature of a "poll", isn't it?- otherwise wouldn't it be better termed a "survey"?

Offline Voixdelion

and another good-bye
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 14:32:34 »
Quote from: instantkamera;211437
Unleash the inner beast, damn you!!

So that would be ... boobery then?

Heheh... perhaps we are on the same page after all.  But, nah: "Boobery" is the kind of behavior one engages in when  trolling with posts like that.  Similar to "jackassery" or "asshattery."   Perhaps by having boobs, women are to some degree inoculated against  behaving like them.  :biggrin:

Im clearly not very clever. I guess that's what I get for including   within the post a clip from the year's worst flick.

Nope.   It's what you get for using the word "chalk" instead of "chock".:tongue:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
and another good-bye
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 14:37:33 »
Quote from: ripster;211469
Shouldn't listen to Welly's conspiracy theories.

Did anyone actually PM iMav? I know I didn't.

Offline instantkamera

and another good-bye
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 14:42:11 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;211504

Nope.   It's what you get for using the word "chalk" instead of "chock".:tongue:

Yes, let's chock it up to that.

Offline Voixdelion

and another good-bye
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 15:26:34 »
Quote from: instantkamera;211511
yes, let's chock it up to that.

lol

Offline gr1m

and another good-bye
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 15:42:41 »
Hey hey, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to insinuate that Kishy framed MW or anything. MW deserved the ban.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
and another good-bye
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 18:25:32 »
Quote from: iMav;211320
A rewrite of the rules and the employ of some moderators may become a necessity (which really is NOT the direction I wanted to go).

We need Webwit for this.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
and another good-bye
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 19:47:42 »
I decided to view your post to see what it was.

I actually photoshopped your very watermark out of one of your pictures because I couldn't get text smoothing to work in Office 97.

Offline patrickgeekhack

and another good-bye
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 20:21:31 »

Please don't show them here. I don't want my wife to ban me from this forum :-) Unlike iMav, she may not remove the ban.

Offline wellington1869

and another good-bye
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 23:40:41 »
Quote from: Soarer;211399
I wasn't only looking at post counts, but join dates as well. My point really is that the major factor perhaps isn't a difference in demographic, but a combination of lots of changes that happen as a forum evolves. The forum changes, the reasons why people arrive here change, and people (the old-timers) can change. I just don't agree with the 'different crowd' theory :)

I think soarer makes some good points and his POV as a newcomer is insightful. Its true that, in a lot of cases, the problems we've had have been old-timers fighting, not newcomers.

Though I also see itln's point about the early days (i was lucky to catch some of the serenity of the early period on this site). It was as collegial as itln says. Just a group of hobbyist/consumers discovering new products.

I think population growth is one factor thats changed since then, and introduction of a more diverse set of personalities - I suppose all that is inevitable and comes with a site's success.

In my view another thing that changed radically tho for the site, and introduced structural changes, was the addition of the vendor forums. Vendor forums were a noble experiment, designed to give us closer access to people who could answer our questions. It was great for a while. But maybe it was inevitable that their presence on the site would cause pressure (imagined and real) on the nature of our discussions about products and vendors.  I myself dont think it was ultimately good for the site's former consumer-oriented and hobbyist culture. I know they're here to stay though.

Another change was the old-timers eventually exhausting the limited set of mechanical keyboard options, and branching further and further into off-topics.  In mid-2008 I think a thread on religion would have seemed weird - in mid-2009 (after explosive population growth on the site), it seemed natural, inevitable, and a welcome diversion from keyboards.

This was both good and bad; it was good cuz it allowed the site to grow organically as a hang-out (and gave us a reputation as an "intellectual" hangout, which is kinda funny for a keyboard site).  Was bad cuz a lot of conflict came out of these off-topics too. But they also brought in new contributors (voix for instance) and gave old timers who were done with keyboards a reason to stay.

I suppose most of the changes were organic and unplanned.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2010, 23:47:24 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline hyperlinked

and another good-bye
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 23:50:55 »
Not a valid youtube URL
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline wellington1869

and another good-bye
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 23:59:11 »
alrighty then.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3