Author Topic: who's gonna buy the HP Slate 500?  (Read 4577 times)

Offline wellington1869

who's gonna buy the HP Slate 500?
« on: Fri, 22 October 2010, 22:30:38 »
So who's gonna buy the new HP Slate 500? Runs full version of win7, includes wacom digitizer for handwriting recognition, plus normal finger recognition as well, 1.5 lbs, 5+ hours battery. Atom 1.8ghz processor. $799, comes with docking station, case.

Btw, I'm already figuring out what junk to sell in my room so I can buy one... ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 11:51:31 »
I was thinking about a tablet,  but until they start widely releasing texts books on them I'll pass.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 11:55:45 »
Quote from: wellington1869;237561
So who's gonna buy the new HP Slate 500? Runs full version of win7,

not I. Is the an atom dual core? I already have an atom based netbook (HP) which runs DECENT but is not a screamer. I like the idea of having a specialized OS for these low power devices, so I AM still waiting for the galaxy tab. If it works well and I can make calls with it, it could be the ultimate portable computing device. I want to build a new desktop more than anything right now.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 16:47:23 »
I'm still skeptical that it uses Wacom instead of N-Trig. The pen's quite thick by Wacom standards, and prior HP Slate videos exhibited four-point multi-touch whereas Wacom tops out at two-point multi-touch for some reason.

At that price, I'd be far more likely to buy a used HP EliteBook 2710p or 2730p. No finger touch that way, but I don't mind.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 16:55:08 »
I'll probably get one in about 15 years when they're being thrown out.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline unicomp

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 17:01:59 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;237742
I'll probably get one in about 15 years when they're being thrown out.

Too bad it doesn't have an optical drive, it will make it harder to 'upgrade' it to Windows 2000.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 20:09:46 »
Quote from: instantkamera;237682
not I. Is the an atom dual core? I already have an atom based netbook (HP) which runs DECENT but is not a screamer. I like the idea of having a specialized OS for these low power devices, so I AM still waiting for the galaxy tab. If it works well and I can make calls with it, it could be the ultimate portable computing device. I want to build a new desktop more than anything right now.

true, the atom processor blows -- i think what helps a bit in this case is the SSD drives its shipping with, definite boost to responsiveness.

That said, you're right. I've been having second thoughts. I'd like to wait for a 10" screen and a faster processor.

But it is basically a win7 tablet/slate that I could use the most (at work as well as for school) since my workflow is totally tied into windows applications and software.  

The 1.5lb weight is so appealing though...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 20:11:21 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;237741
I'm still skeptical that it uses Wacom instead of N-Trig. The pen's quite thick by Wacom standards, and prior HP Slate videos exhibited four-point multi-touch whereas Wacom tops out at two-point multi-touch for some reason.

At that price, I'd be far more likely to buy a used HP EliteBook 2710p or 2730p. No finger touch that way, but I don't mind.

supposedly it has both a resistive screen along with an active digitizer. When you use the pen, the resistive screen 'turns off' so you can rest your palm on it. When you move the pen away the resistive screen turns back on so you can use swipes and gestures with your fingers.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 22:41:18 »
Quote from: wellington1869
true, the atom processor blows

Not for mobile phones it doesn't. My Droid is pretty damn fast.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 23:42:19 »
ok, the digitizer is 'n-trig'. what the hell is n-trig? [update: never mind, figured it out.]

asus ep121 coming out in the spring next year: looks *great*. But doesnt have an active digitizer.

Has anyone tried handwriting recognition on a passive touchscreen? Is it as horrible as they say? Not functional?
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 October 2010, 00:34:41 by wellington1869 »

Offline mike

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 05:07:12 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;237843
Not for mobile phones it doesn't. My Droid is pretty damn fast.

What phone would that be ? I was under the impression that most Android phones had some ARM CPU in them.
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 05:18:23 »
well he said "droid" so I assume he actually means the Motorola Droid, which is NOT atom based.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 07:15:59 »
The ARM Cortex A8 in Motorola Droid runs at 550 MHz, unless there is a newer model that I missed.

Personally, I am waiting for a ARM-based tablet computer with a decent feature set. I'd rather have an ARM in a battery-powered device than an x86-based CPU.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 07:59:47 »
It's the Verizon Droid Incredible, which is Atom based. I just call it a Droid because "Droid Incredible" doesn't have a nice ring to it :D

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 09:56:46 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;237901
It's the Verizon Droid Incredible, which is Atom based. I just call it a Droid because "Droid Incredible" doesn't have a nice ring to it :D

That phone is not atom based.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 09:57:48 »
Quote from: instantkamera;237929
That phone is not atom based.

Ahhh! Whoops you're right lol. It's a snapdragon or something. Sorry!

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 10:05:38 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;237931
Ahhh! Whoops you're right lol. It's a snapdragon or something. Sorry!

No worries. However, you bring up a good point: it isn't really the hardware that sucks, it's the software (specifically OS). Forcing a fairly beastly OS meant to run on varied hardware onto these types of platforms is not really fair, but pair it with a proper embedded/mobile OS and software (generally far more lean and optimized), and you realize the real potential of the hardware.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 10:08:30 »
Quote from: unicomp;237745
Too bad it doesn't have an optical drive, it will make it harder to 'upgrade' it to Windows 2000.

I bet I could hook up a USB CD-ROM drive and make it boot. And then I'll get W2k on there.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 10:09:27 »
Quote from: instantkamera;237933
No worries. However, you bring up a good point: it isn't really the hardware that sucks, it's the software (specifically OS). Forcing a fairly beastly OS meant to run on varied hardware onto these types of platforms is not really fair, but pair it with a proper embedded/mobile OS and software (generally far more lean and optimized), and you realize the real potential of the hardware.

Windows 2000 or Windows XP would make great embedded OS's for tablets and such.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 10:13:07 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;237936
Windows 2000 or Windows XP would make great embedded OS's for tablets and such.

No they wouldn't.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 10:15:11 »
Quote from: instantkamera;237941
No they wouldn't.

Why not? You can run W2k on a Pentium with 32MB of RAM perfectly fine (Many of today's phones and tablets are more powerful than that). There's also a lot of software designed for W2k/XP and most people are familiar with it. They'd make great embedded OS's.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 10:43:40 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;237943
Why not? You can run W2k on a Pentium with 32MB of RAM perfectly fine (Many of today's phones and tablets are more powerful than that). There's also a lot of software designed for W2k/XP and most people are familiar with it. They'd make great embedded OS's.

They are highly generalized x86 OS's that happen to also be incredibly outdated. They have not been built with alternate input methods in mind, their interfaces are not optimal, they don't have configurable kernels, they don't have drivers or support for newer hardware on a x86 platform, let alone different (portable) architectures. etc etc.

This is why MS originally built (the largely unsuccessful) CE (which performed and acted a little to much like windows for it to catch on) and why they are working on "Windows Phone 7" now (where it appears that they have finally "learned" that people don't want their portable devices to look like their desktop OS was shoehorned onto the hardware. By "learned" I mean, they watched 10 other companies do it right first).

But feel free to let MS know they are going down the wrong path.

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 10:54:43 »
Price isn't right. Sure businesses and artists will like the cheap Wacom digitizer though in a nice tablet form.

Doesn't meet the needs I have (mainly price). If I had the money, I'd buy one, but if I had the money, I'd have a Ferrari too. So personally, it's as dead as Butterscotch the pony.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 12:57:26 »
so there's actually like four new eee tablets coming out in next few months.

in 'october', the monochrome lcd ereader, called either the 'eee tablet' or the 'eee note'. Doesnt look that great. meant to be an ereader, but doesnt seem to add any features other than scribbling on the screen (but no handwriting recognition).

in the "spring":
-12" core 2 duo slate/tablet, brilliant design, 1.5 lbs with detachable keyb, does everything, but $1000. Ouch. That price point will likely keep it out of my hands.

-10" same as above but running android or something, meant to compete with ipad. $399.

-10" same as above but running 'windows embedded" os (similar to win7 mobile). Limited functionality, but if it can run Office and do handwriting recog in onenote, I'll buy it.  $399. But too many unknowns with it and its atleast 6 to 8 months away, realistically.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 13:09:52 »
10" is too big for a "pad" device for me. 7" is a sweet spot. bring on the Galaxy TAB!!!

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 13:48:46 »
Quote from: wellington1869;237789
supposedly it has both a resistive screen along with an active digitizer. When you use the pen, the resistive screen 'turns off' so you can rest your palm on it. When you move the pen away the resistive screen turns back on so you can use swipes and gestures with your fingers.

That would be true for the HP tx2000 or tx2500, but the Slate definitely uses a capacitive digitizer for finger touch like the tx2 (N-Trig), tm2 (Wacom), and 2740p (Wacom). No particular reason to use resistive on a dual digitizer setup unless one wants finger touch while wearing gloves or something.

Also, it's definitely why I'm insistent on dual digitizers. There's nothing to lose in terms of finger touch to add decent pen input capability.