Author Topic: How did you happen to find geekhack.org?  (Read 12367 times)

Offline TexasFlood

How did you happen to find geekhack.org?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 00:29:17 »
Quote from: ozar;88805
My guess is that most of us landed here through our various search engine efforts.  My own constant googling of the highly popular IBM Model M Keyboard is how I came to be here.

What about the rest of you?

Think I ran across my Northgate and IBM Model M in the basement and was looking for info about them.  To my wifes eternal regret, I found geekhack and got more vintage keyboards as a result, rather than unload the ones I already had, :wink:

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 01:10:55 »
I was delusional enough to think that I could google my way to an actual laser, gaming trackball.  I found geekhack and Chimera's modding (some other site).  Led me to the CST thread.  
Came back and dug in deeper, researching my next keyboard.  This is really lame, but I was tired of my backup's beige and didn't want to rub the letters off in 6 months or less.  Where as that should have been reason enough to join and post, I held out, until I saw ClickClack's keys.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 09:28:34 »
I am a Star Wars / sci-fi - fan who was looking to buy/build myself a new desktop computer, and this time, I wanted to build myself a sci fi-themed case -- with matching keyboard.
I like especially how the future was imagined in movies of the 1970's: in Alien, Star Wars (1977) and 2001 - A Space Odyssey.

There is a famous steampunk-modded Model M, so I started searching for info about Model Ms, and that led me here.
Otherwise, I have spent a bunch of KeyTronic rubber-dome keyboards over the years. The same type, over and over. No other rubber-dome was good enough. I do remember older clicky keyboards that I had tried in college.

Unfortunately, the only typewriter-style keyboard that I have found in Star Wars is (what looks like) a "Space Cadet" keyboard in a corner of the Millenium Falcon, and I don't think that it even was seen on screen. I have not seen a single keyboard in "2001", only a few in "2010", and the ones in Alien have been too gritty .. or mounted/modded in ways that made them unusable.
However, there are a lot of illuminated switches everywhere. I have therefore been looking into how to build a illuminated chiclet-style keyboard with full key travel, but found that that is much beyond my capabilities to make one that has the look and the feel.
I have decided to settle with starting with just a really good keyboard and to build a nice case for it. This site has provided me with a lot of useful info and made me into more of a keyboard nerd than a Star Wars-nerd for a while. I have ordered my first keyboard with clicky Cherry switches and nice-looking keycaps and I am waiting for it to arrive.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 03:32:31 »
Quote from: ripster;193268
This post should be stickied.
Show Image

Ripster at his daily job in his sticky suit:
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline J888www

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 12:58:54 »
Most trolls have a different perspective whereas most people just state the obvious. If I had wanted the obvious info, it would have been easier to visit the manufacturers' site. I was searching for others opinions on certain products.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 14:48:22 »
I stumbled across the fact that RIY dye worked on various plastics, in connection with model aircraft, got interested in other possibilities... and whilst searching for more info, landed here via the RIT dye thread.

Spec_57
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 June 2010, 15:52:21 by Specter_57 »

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 15:54:05 »
Yeah, I see...not much depth to the colour.

I *was* thinking of the RIT dye job, using some of Quadibloc's images as inspiration on one of my Dell AT101-W boards...but those keys and RIT dye do not work well together....or so I have read.

Spec_57

Offline roaduck

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 21:49:46 »
Quote from: ozar;88805
My guess is that most of us landed here through our various search engine efforts.  My own constant googling of the highly popular IBM Model M Keyboard is how I came to be here.

What about the rest of you?

My old membrane kb was totally hammered - bent like a banana - through being slept on - full of vodka smoothies and cig ash ,keys so worn out that the writing had worn off and filthier than a Calcutta slum lavatory.

I was looking for a bomb-proof kb and found some sources of British IBM model M 's which is much harder for us over the pond for fellow countrymen.

I fell in love with the humour, insightful, witty comments and the very knowledgeable people on this forum.

It's a shame I'm too busy to go on it as much because I adore this site.
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 21:57:46 »
something, something, something model m... something something doo-doo board
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 22:37:03 »
Quote from: KillerBee;234510
something, something, something model m... something something doo-doo board

couldnt have said it better myself. Kishy said it as well in my sig.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 02:01:03 »
basically I came chasing this:

the doo-doo board

disregard the order of the keys its doo-doo madness setting in
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 October 2010, 02:03:43 by KillerBee »
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985