Author Topic: can anyone identify this chair?  (Read 20913 times)

Offline wellington1869

can anyone identify this chair?
« on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 17:13:38 »
Can anyone identify the chair in this craigslist ad? I'm thinking of buying it, hoping to find info or reviews.  It seems very distinctive looking (as opposed to a generic staples chair). It has adjustable-everything. Supposedly original price was around $250.

« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2009, 10:40:39 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 18:27:59 »
Quote from: webwit;102146
Hmm isn't that an Ikea chair?

hmmm, it definitely has that ikea look about it... i'm scouring the ikea website now...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 18:29:50 »
update -- found it! thanks webwit :)
Its the "klappe" chair from ikea, originally $299 or so.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00070366

Now i'm googling for reviews...

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 18:41:03 »
So what you're saying is, the klappe, just like it's namesake, is a rather unpleasant experience? :rofl:
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 19:11:23 »
Quote from: zwmalone;102151
So what you're saying is, the klappe, just like it's namesake, is a rather unpleasant experience? :rofl:

thats what i get for having sex with my topre ;D

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 22:10:43 »
Quote from: ripster;102165
My son's health class teacher told him he couldn't get the Klappe if he had a Jerker.

lol good one :)  I knew the jerker would, er, come into this :D

so looks like i'm getting the klappe! I knew that topre was a ho :)  Picking it up tomorrow morning. Online reviews are fairly positive, and the price is right (getting it for $80) for an ergo-chair thats adjustable on nearly every axis I can think of (arms, back, height, tilt, depth, etc etc).  A few complaints about not enough cushion, but I think my butt will take care of that department ;D
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2009, 22:14:24 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 02:42:32 »
Quote from: webwit;102193
It all comes back to me now. The seat is very cheap plastic and foam and feels like a 70ties east-European public transport seat. Most importantly, it has not enough depth. You're gliding off it, forward. It really felt like crap, in fact it is no high quality chair but a low quality one which is adjustable to meet some standards.

clearly you and I should never go shopping together :D

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 10:37:48 »
I just checked out the chair -- and I really like it.  (Btw it also has gliding seat depth. like I say, it has every major adjustment you can think of).  I didnt think the cushion was too little, I was actually looking for something a bit more firm (compared to the chair I currently have which feels like a freakin sofa in comparison and kept putting me to sleep). And anyway it didnt feel too firm to me, it felt normal I guess.

I even liked the color - its a much more subdued blue than appears in the picture above.  However, there was just one problem -- the seat's tilt-lock function didnt work right. It kept slipping. (Its a good thing I tried everything out!). (Its supposed to lock at the seat-back angle that you select; it has that feature in addition to a regular tension-adjustable-recline). Anyway, it wouldnt lock. So I told the nice couple who were selling it that I'd hang out in the starbucks and do some work for a couple of hours and if they figure out the tilt-lock issue (the guy brought out his toolbag and went to work on it) then I'd be happy to buy it.

So now i'm in a starbucks on the lower east side... :)

I considered buying it even if the tilt-lock doesnt work, but I dont think that makes sense. I wanted a highly adjustable chair so I should keep looking if this falls through...

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 13:22:35 »
This looks like a good deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hag-Credo-3300-3600-Chair-Blue-Fully-Adjustbl-Ergonomic_W0QQitemZ390067227217QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Office_Furniture?hash=item5ad1d18a51

I have the same model (different finish, etc.) since at least 10 years. Backrest can be adjusted up down. Seat back and forth. The whole thing swings back and forth and can be locked in the middle and at full for- and backward swing. There is the typical spring adjustment that limits back swing. And up/down of course. They have 5 or 6 years warranty. Sometimes, if you buy a used one, you still have warranty.

We have gas springs breaking after 10+ years and fabric getting thin but all this can be replaced. For ex. you can get new upholstery if you don't like the color, it is closed with a zipper.

There are also headrests available and gas springs in three different heights.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 14:02:12 »
speaking of great deals, so I got this chair for $50 :-D  Not bad for one of the most ergo-adjustable chairs I've seen (and now, owned).

Basically the tilt-lock sticks if you fiddle with the lever a bit. (You have to reach under the center of the seat to do this). But since its not something I'd adjust every day, and since they dropped the price to what I think is a reasonable (if not rock-bottom) $50, I went for it.

The color is much nicer than the bright blue in the pic. Its more like a dark blue "denim" jeans color. (Texture of the cloth is also similar to jeans).

At some point I'll open it up and see what the problem is with the lever, but I think I can live with fiddiling the lever for now.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2009, 14:06:33 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 14:35:10 »
update: I think its fixed :D  Opened it up, the mechanism to latch the tilt-lock seemed a bit sticky. Some silicon grease and some sprays of graphite later, everything is humming smoothly :D  Yay :D

Offline lal

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 July 2009, 10:04:19 »
50 bucks is a good deal, welly.  I've been sitting in the same chair (even same color) for about 3 years and it's okay.  Very solid, except... the tilt lock which is acting up from time to time :)  But that seems to be a general problem with office chairs, haven't had a single chair where the tilt lock did NOT break after some years of use.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 July 2009, 10:45:45 »
Quote from: lal;102356
But that seems to be a general problem with office chairs, haven't had a single chair where the tilt lock did NOT break after some years of use.

I wonder when the manufacturers will finally learn that plastic mechanics are not a good idea. Aging issues aside (gear shrinkage anyone?), those tend to be quite unforgiving when something goes wrong.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 July 2009, 12:07:52 »
Quote from: lal;102356
50 bucks is a good deal, welly.  I've been sitting in the same chair (even same color) for about 3 years and it's okay.  Very solid, except... the tilt lock which is acting up from time to time :)  But that seems to be a general problem with office chairs, haven't had a single chair where the tilt lock did NOT break after some years of use.

lol, ya, if you open it up, it just needs some grease apparently. My tilt lock has been fine after I put silicon grease and graphite lube spray on the little aluminum 'plate' that slides into the tilt lock's rachet. (You'll see what i mean when you open the seat up).

wonder when the manufacturers will finally learn that plastic mechanics are not a good idea

By the way, both the rachet and the plate that locks into it, are made of metal on this chair.

funny that you have the same chair. its not bad, i rather like its relative simplicity. my last chair was big and cushy and kind of overkill for me. I kept falling asleep in it cuz it was actually *too* comfortable :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2009, 12:10:00 by wellington1869 »

Offline lal

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 July 2009, 12:57:02 »
Yeah, it makes a good working seat.  I like how easily the arm rests swing back and out of the way if not needed.  I'll remember your advice when the tilt lock f*cks up again.  Been okay for quite a while, so I don't bother opening it right now.

I bought this one after some test sitting in lots of chairs and found this to be the most solid and comfortable one by far.  I admit that I didn't do my usual online research for best bang-for-buck beforehand but just chose the best feeling chair available at the local Ikea.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 07:41:36 »
Quote from: ripster;102370
Steelcase. Ugly but they put Steel in their name for a reason.

You realize every time you buy a Herman Miller you are giving money to the inventor of the worst office invention, the cubicle!

I don't even have a whole cubicle.  I have two walls of a cubicle and a corner desk.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 11:03:42 »
That looks about right.  I can see that pic. I have a Palm Pre now, so I will be able to see the blocked content (if I really want to).

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 11:08:00 »
itln you're back! how was chicago?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 11:46:37 »
Quote from: wellington1869;103429
itln you're back! how was chicago?

Fantastic.  We ate and drank way too much; I gained about 10 lbs.  I'll be working out hard for the next couple of weeks and eating plenty of salad.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 12:48:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;103435
Fantastic.  We ate and drank way too much; I gained about 10 lbs.

excellent! :D

I'll be working out hard for the next couple of weeks and eating plenty of salad.

thats a pity ;D  Well I suppose its good for ya ;D

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 12:50:14 »
Quote from: wellington1869;103446
thats a pity ;D Well I suppose its good for ya ;D

I actually like salad, so that's not too bad.  I have been lazy on working out, though, but I feel refreshed after this vacation, so I'm going to get back after it.

Offline vils

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 13:05:24 »
Quote from: ripster;102165
My son's health class teacher told him he couldn't get the Klappe if he had a Jerker.

IKEA names can be hilarious.
Names are troublesome, Lund (university where I studied) seems to mean something that make people from India break down in hysterical laughter.
Mitsubishis Pajero diden't wen't to well in south america (eventually renamed into something more manly).
Honda tried to market a car named Fitta in Sweden... what it means Iwont tell you but it reminds me of another embarrassing advertisment where a swedish chain-saw company used the name "swedish beaver" in a ad in Canada.....
The examples are plenty.
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 13:11:36 »
Quote from: vils;103454
IKEA names can be hilarious.
Names are troublesome, Lund (university where I studied) seems to mean something that make people from India break down in hysterical laughter.
Mitsubishis Pajero diden't wen't to well in south america (eventually renamed into something more manly).
Honda tried to market a car named Fitta in Sweden... what it means Iwont tell you but it reminds me of another embarrassing advertisment where a swedish chain-saw company used the name "swedish beaver" in a ad in Canada.....
The examples are plenty.

Yeah, the Chevy Nova didn't do well in Spanish-speaking areas.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 13:48:14 »
it reminds me of another embarrassing advertisment where a swedish chain-saw company used the name "swedish beaver" in a ad in Canada.....
The examples are plenty.

I just thought of the Swedish bikini team for some odd reason.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 14:50:39 »
Quote from: itlnstln;103457
Yeah, the Chevy Nova didn't do well in Spanish-speaking areas.

thats my favorite one

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 15:26:20 »
Lund (university where I studied) seems to mean something that make people from India break down in hysterical laughter.

lol, Lund = pr*ck, d*ck, c*ck, etc.  In Hindi. :D  Ahahahahahahahaha. Ya, that is pretty funny.

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 17 August 2010, 22:31:55 »
Do you still like this chair?  I picked out the same one at Ikea (didn't buy, but it was my favorite of the ones they had).

I'm hitting up a fancy shop this weekend to try out more expensive chairs, but this is my current fallback if my mind isn't blown.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 17 August 2010, 23:51:49 »
Quote from: ripster;103420
Reminds me of that scene in the movie "Brasil". In case you can't see the pic it's the one where the office continually shrinks.

Show Image

I love that movie.  Absolutely brilliant, and well ahead of most of the "distopian" comedies, most of which were inferior.  It's basically the comedy companion to "Blade Runner"'s Tragedy.  Just picture the little drama masks... Blade Runner with an arrow to the crying face, and Brasil with an arrow to the laughing face.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 18 August 2010, 00:47:02 »
Best chairs you will ever find:
http://www.kinnarps.com/en/International/ProductsInspiration/Office/DeskChairs/
Also swedish... Like Ikea...
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 09:52:15 »
I don't like Ikea very much. Almost everything they sell there is garishly colored particleboard.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 09:56:25 »
That one was pretty good.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 04:43:30 »
Quote from: zwmalone;102151

I have been sitting in a Kläppe at work, but I am going to see if I can get a chair of another type..
I can not make it has high as I want it, and it does not give me adequate support for my lower back. (I am 6'1" = 185 cm)

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 06:41:34 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;214420
I don't like Ikea very much. Almost everything they sell there is garishly colored particleboard.

Yes.. I did't mean that I like Ikea (even though I think they keep a quite good quality to price ratio... at least in Sweden. I never been to an Ikea outside of Sweden.)... I meant that Kinarps as Ikea also is from Sweden. Kinarps do awesome stuff. Their office chairs is the best chairs I ever used. I have one both at home and at work. Though I almost never use the one at work since I mostly stand at work (as I wrote in another thread.)
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline kps

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 09:52:12 »
Quote from: ripster;102370
You realize every time you buy a Herman Miller you are giving money to the inventor of the worst office invention, the cubicle!

You have to remember that the BC era (before cubicle) wasn't an office workers' paradise with everyone in private offices. Before there were cube farms for us peons, there were open desk farms. Having a piece of cloth-covered foam between you and your neighbours was an improvement.

(Source: Library of Congress; pictures link to pages with larger versions.)

Offline mike

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 04:28:45 »
Quote from: webwit;102214
Agreed about the seat depth, it is one of the things I always check and were lots fail. A Herman Miller is not adjustable though, you have to buy it in the right size. Strangely, those Ikea seats seem all to have been made for dwarves.

The Aeron and Mirra don't have adjustable seat depth; the Embody and Celle do.
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 16:14:30 »
seat depth?
as in the seat moves foward in and out?

Offline roaduck

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 17:12:53 »
Quote from: wellington1869;102139
Can anyone identify the chair in this craigslist ad? I'm thinking of buying it, hoping to find info or reviews.  It seems very distinctive looking (as opposed to a generic staples chair). It has adjustable-everything. Supposedly original price was around $250.

Show Image

I just got this chair from Ikea called a Markus.

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0107726_PE257343_S4.JPG

Comfy is not the word; it lets your back breathe without getting sweaty, is very heavy and sturdy, has a very high back plus a neck rest and offers good spinal support.

You can literally sit in it  all day - quite a few of my friends have sat on mine, bunged their old ones and scooped one up.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20178865
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline roaduck

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 17:20:01 »
Quote from: wellington1869;102139

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/69659_PE184857_S4.jpg

I just got this chair from Ikea called a Markus - comfy is not the word; it lets your back breathe without getting sweaty, is very heavy and sturdy, has a very high back plus a neck rest and offers good spinal support.

You can literally sit in it  all day - quite a few of my friends have sat on mine, bunged their old ones and scooped one up.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20103101

The UK version is leather, the US version is wool.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 19:17:58 »
Is it even sturdier and comfier than this?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Parak

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 19:42:30 »
Obligatory:

Offline roaduck

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 19:55:57 »
Ha ha! no chance of that microsoft windows; but it's better than most tiny rock-hard task chairs with no arms.

My thing isn't  that deeply upholstered which I did have in the past but ultimately were bad for my posture - ie: sitting on cushioned chairs for 16+ hours a day.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 20:10:45 »
My old computer chair (Which was actually newer than my current one by about 20 years) was a piece of JUNK. Lousy cushions, made in China, no arms, creaky back, etc. But then, one day, I saw this chair sitting out by the side of the road on my way home from work. It looked good (you know, not moldy, etc.) and felt comfy, so I took it and use it to this day.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 07:00:40 »
Quote from: microsoft windows
My old computer chair (Which was actually newer than my current one by about 20 years) was a piece of JUNK. Lousy cushions, made in China, no arms, creaky back, etc. But then, one day, I saw this chair sitting out by the side of the road on my way home from work. It looked good (you know, not moldy, etc.) and felt comfy, so I took it and use it to this day.

Do you ever think that maybe that chair (and most of the stuff in your basement) was thrown away for a reason?

Or, maybe a REALLY GOOD reason?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 10:15:02 »
It was thrown away  for a reason. Wanna know it? It's because people these days are too lazy to get off their ass and fix stuff. They just throw it out.

That means that if you know how, getting free/cheap computers is a breeze. I got a machine with a 3.2Ghz CPU and 4GB of RAM for only $20 worth of computers from a tag  sale. Also got my IBM M5-2 trackball keyboard for free. Got my Dell Dimension 2400, IBM Thinkcentre 8183, 3 Dell Optiplex GX240's, 2 Dell Optiplex GX270's, my Gateway2000 P5-200, Micron ClientPro CN, Dell Inspiron 8500, Micron Transport GX+, iMac, and Power Mac all for under $10 apiece (Most of them were absolutely free). The vast majority of those computers have between 1 and 4GB of RAM, all of which I got for free, along with Pentium 4's. They all run Windows XP and 2000 very well  with  the exception of the Gateway2000 and the Mac's.