Author Topic: The Wonders of IBM Model M's Secret Keys!  (Read 11554 times)

Offline TheRavenDog

The Wonders of IBM Model M's Secret Keys!
« on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:09:09 »
As previously discussed on this site, IBM Model M (and F) keyboards have additional "secret" keys (used for alternate layouts) under certain over-sized keys.

Typically, the secret keys under the left shift key, the right shift key, the backspace, the Num-Plus, the Num-Enter, the Num-Zero, and the Enter key will produce scan codes (although, the Num Zero sometime doesn't, and the key under the Enter produces a backslash). On some keyboards the extra barrel under the space bar will produce a backspace scancode (but finding a keystem that fits this position is very tough).

What's wonderful about the additional keys is that they can be used as additional modifier keys (with a bolt-mod and some AutoHotKey / Soarer's Converter magic).

So, without further ado, behold: my new APL keyboard!

Note the poorly labeled (but very functional) "APL" modifier key next to the right shift key.

The dream...                     The reality...

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: The Wonders of IBM Model M's Secret Keys!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:15:36 »
That caps is beautiful! I love the caps

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:33:58 »
Very nice!
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 10:17:35 »
Looks nice!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline 1391406

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 10:45:30 »
How did you remove the case material that normally separates the CTRL and ALT keys?
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:49:44 »
How did you remove the case material that normally separates the CTRL and ALT keys?

Very carefully with the Exact-O blade tip on a soldering iron (which works remarkably well for precision cuts in hard plastics).

Offline vanwinkey

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 12:48:46 »
A IBM Model M with Windows key?

Sacrilege !

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 00:06:38 »

A IBM Model M with Windows key?

Sacrilege !

The way I see it: the more modifier keys, the better. I've considered getting the Tux equivalent from Unicomp, but I use Windows so why not have a Windows key...

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 00:16:42 »
Looks great but mixing Unicomp and IBM keys.. A full Unicomp set would look much more uniform.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 00:39:15 »
Can we get some close ups pls?

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 01:41:46 »

Looks great but mixing Unicomp and IBM keys.. A full Unicomp set would look much more uniform.

I haven't been very impressed with the uniformity of Unicomp keys. Even when I order 5 of the same key at a once, the lettering is different ( and sometimes not even straight). Take a look at the smaller right shift key: the lettering is very small and slightly crooked.

My home made keys are horrible (just clear mailing labels), but it's very convenient to have any key one desires.

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 01:43:08 »

Sure. I'll try. Which part in particular?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 01:44:51 »

Near the windows and command keys?

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:51:03 »

Wait. I'm confused. Did the original picture not get posted at its full resolution (3264x2448)?

When I look at the posted picture in my browser, it's larger than the keyboard is in real life.

I'm confused.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 00:38:50 »

I haven't been very impressed with the uniformity of Unicomp keys. Even when I order 5 of the same key at a once, the lettering is different ( and sometimes not even straight). Take a look at the smaller right shift key: the lettering is very small and slightly crooked.

My home made keys are horrible (just clear mailing labels), but it's very convenient to have any key one desires.

Agree with you on that, Unicomp keys suck. Do still think all Unicomp is better than IBM and Unicomp mixed. You could always scrounge IBM replacement keys on ebay from terminals people are parting out. Threw some fun terminal keys on my 101 M recently.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline Bucake

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 01:07:24 »
wow, what're those caps from? an actual old APL model? those legends are awesome
do the model Fs have these 'secret keys' as well? :D i never actually checked, even though i've opened them up.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 01:55:03 »

Wait. I'm confused. Did the original picture not get posted at its full resolution (3264x2448)?

When I look at the posted picture in my browser, it's larger than the keyboard is in real life.

I'm confused.

I don't know, its not that big for me but I really wanna see some close ups of where you did surgery.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 08:38:24 »

I'm confused.

I don't know, its not that big for me but I really wanna see some close ups of where you did surgery.

Images have two levels of magnification on the forum. There's the initial zoom level you get just by clicking on the image. Then there's the 'Expand to actual size' level, which you get by clicking on the full screen symbol at the bottom right of the image after you've clicked it initially.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2016, 08:40:46 by 1391406 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 12:24:32 »

wow, what're those caps from? an actual old APL model? those legends are awesome
do the model Fs have these 'secret keys' as well? :D i never actually checked, even though i've opened them up.

The APL keys are from Unicomp, and I'm very pleased that the APL symbols are not glaringly bright.

Regarding the Model F, I'm unsure if the secret barrels would produce a scan code. Model Fs are much harder to take apart ( actually, they're easy to *take apart*; but much harder to put back together).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 13:35:22 »
Here is an F-122 PCB and you can see what is connected and what isn't.

Note that this is the maximum number of holes that I have tried, they all work but the 2 that really matter are left of CapLock and right of Enter. I don't worry much with the others any more.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline andrajos

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 July 2023, 12:27:40 »
Hi everybody.
Sorry for being so late to this thread, but till now I haven't enought time to start this project.
I was storing three of this amazing keyboards, three spanish model Ms, in the warehouse of my IT department, waiting for this moment.
I searching a lot and studing all the possibilities because my first target is to add a Windows key (yes, I'm maingly a Windows boy because of work) and the second, to make it wireless (with a logitech WII keyboard mod)
But I can't understand why the hell you manage to add your Windows key, @TheRavenDog.
In my spanish model m there isn't a hidden barrel between left Ctrl and Alt keys, only behind the right shift key, the enter and backspace.
Regards

Offline Mandan

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 16 July 2023, 19:26:52 »
It might depend on when the keyboard is made.  I had a Model M with a manufacture date of 10 NOV 86 at hand; it has one extra barrel under the "C" key, under the left side of the spacebar.  Plus the usual extra barrels under both Shifts, Enter, Insert, and the keypad Enter keys.

There aren't any barrels under the frame tabs.  The barrels on the ctrl and alt keys are 2-3mm taller than the tabs anyway.

I have some other Ms, but I'll have to dig them out and pop some keys off to see what they look like.

Offline ___Aihey___

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 27 July 2023, 04:28:29 »
 :thumb: