Author Topic: Anyone have a "third hand" or "helping hand" soldering station?  (Read 6454 times)

Offline mcsnails

Anyone have a "third hand" or "helping hand" soldering station?
« on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 16:28:02 »
Does anyone own one of these?  It looks quite useful and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 16:42:25 »
I use two in my soldering station. For the price, they work.

This one and another I picked up from ebay without the mag glass.

If you buy it be sure to put some heatshrink tubing on the teeth. It can scratch your boards pretty bad.

I heard the panavise are good but cost a little more.
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline Jigo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 17:04:32 »
I actually own one without the iron rest on it. Thing is damn handy, indeed. Makes precise soldering a breeze. Only recommendation i have is look for the cheapest one you can find, because in my experience, virtually ALL of them use the same parts, with a special extra addon every so often (like that iron rest).

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 19:34:10 »
No. I have a "third leg" though.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 19:37:00 »
I always need one of these when I solder...But uni done'st provide them ,so I have to grab some random friend to hold down stuff for me. Thinking about it. You could easily make one yourself with some crocodile clips + wooden skewer and then stabbing one end into like a block of foam packaging.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline sordna

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 19:55:10 »
I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NQ4Q4C/
I wouldn't get one with a solder iron holder, it'l just get in the way, and it won't make such a great holder anyway.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 20:06:36 »
I have one with 2 clips but took the magnifying glass off i just searched solder stand on amazon i need to cover the clips thought their too pointy.

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 20:36:57 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;500150
I have one with 2 clips but took the magnifying glass off i just searched solder stand on amazon i need to cover the clips thought their too pointy.

Heat shrink tubing can help! :smile:

Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 20:40:51 »
Yea was thinking that but dont have any nor a heatgun theres a few things i need to pickup

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 23:04:08 »
This guy has been around for a while. I get a kick out of all his various "Helping" versions mounted to his soldering pad. They start at $20 and go up to $250 with all the crazy bells and whistles, check them out. I think one soldering stand will hold a dirty martini while you work.

Mild:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simple-Mighty-Nice-3rd-Hand-w-attached-soldering-pad-/330670574399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfd808b3f#ht_621wt_1165

Wild:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Stork-Nest-Silver-Solder-Tool-Work-Round-Ring-Boss-Block-/390351203205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae2beab85#ht_554wt_1165
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 January 2012, 23:06:45 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline sordna

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 23:16:00 »
I like my panavise with the suction cup, you can stick it on a wall for electrical work, a car, whatever.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline 1uckyNumb3r7

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 23:57:48 »
My amazon wish list just grew by a few items. :D

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 00:37:48 »
Quote from: input nirvana;500292
This guy has been around for a while. I get a kick out of all his various "Helping" versions mounted to his soldering pad. They start at $20 and go up to $250 with all the crazy bells and whistles, check them out. I think one soldering stand will hold a dirty martini while you work.

Mild:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simple-Mighty-Nice-3rd-Hand-w-attached-soldering-pad-/330670574399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfd808b3f#ht_621wt_1165

Wild:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Stork-Nest-Silver-Solder-Tool-Work-Round-Ring-Boss-Block-/390351203205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae2beab85#ht_554wt_1165

The wild one looks like something from a torturing chamber!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 00:39:19 »
It's pretty extreme, to say the least :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 00:40:51 »
I don't have a "third hand".  But may be I need one.  So do you clamp on the whole PCB and have it in mid air?

Offline sordna

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 00:58:27 »
Sometimes that, sometimes even a simple thing like tinning the end of a loose thin piece of wire is very hard unless you stabilize it somehow. I've held solder with my mouth too many times on loose components, so a 3rd hand is much better.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 04:31:08 »
helping hands cool, think i have some old radio shack version, anyways take the heatshrink tubing advice, those alligator grips are vicious.

Offline rvrebel

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 18:38:41 »
Go with the panavise. They start at $25 and built way better than the "helping hand". Got one for xmas and have used it a bunch already.

I do also have the helping hand but the magnifying glass made me paranoid. Like I was going to come home to a pile of ashes... from the sun.. and the window. Beside that it's pretty cheapy and doesnt hold up if you put any pressure on what's being held.
|| Filco Majestouch 2 || Rosewill RK-9000 || WASD Custom Layout ||

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 18:45:54 »
got 2 helping hands which were so cheap one already lost a hand I did do the heat shirink tubing mod and its a definite improvement. I will probably pick up the suction cup panavise next time I order from amazon.

Offline lorem3k

• http://twitter.com/#!/lorem3k
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:22:44 »
They're crazy useful for really thin/small wires. For thicker wires I still like it but it's not as necessary.
Leopold FC200RT/AWN | Logitech G400 | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | Pounds in the fridge, hundred stacks in the armoire