Author Topic: .  (Read 67193 times)

Offline Skull_Angel

Re: The Wetshaving Thread
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 10:16:24 »
Where do you guys buy your DE blades?  I bought a varied selection from eBay to try out the different brands, and I've decided the Feather blades are the best fit for my razor and shaving style.  Any recommendations for a good retailer for these, or is eBay still the preferred buying channel?

West Coast Shaving is usually recommended a lot. I've actually never used a DE before (Went straight from Electric to SR lol) though so I can't give any personal recommendations.

Basically anywhere you can order in bulk since that's normally the cheapest option; I've been using Amazon so far, but I'm more than open to other reputable retailers. Buying local is normally way over-priced aside from random dollar stores.

WC Shaving had the Feather blades in stock - $40 for 100.  I also added some smaller packs of other brands to try out, shave cream, styptic pencil, etc.

They're up on Amazon for $21.50+4.99(USD)/100 (cheapest), but I've heard rumors of issues with one of the sellers. If I can find supplies on mom and pop sites like Maggardss for a little bit more I'll usually order there; Maggard's in particular is very active and helpful on r/wicked_edge.

Offline tribade

« Reply #301 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 16:29:33 »
Where do you guys buy your DE blades?  I bought a varied selection from eBay to try out the different brands, and I've decided the Feather blades are the best fit for my razor and shaving style.  Any recommendations for a good retailer for these, or is eBay still the preferred buying channel?

West Coast Shaving is usually recommended a lot. I've actually never used a DE before (Went straight from Electric to SR lol) though so I can't give any personal recommendations.

Basically anywhere you can order in bulk since that's normally the cheapest option; I've been using Amazon so far, but I'm more than open to other reputable retailers. Buying local is normally way over-priced aside from random dollar stores.

WC Shaving had the Feather blades in stock - $40 for 100.  I also added some smaller packs of other brands to try out, shave cream, styptic pencil, etc.

I remember amazon having them for a pretty good price.  Here's a link from a quick search.  Not prime though.

http://www.amazon.com/FEATHER-HI-STAINLESS-DOUBLE-BLADES-REMOVE/dp/B0086VWSIC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1390861709&sr=8-11&keywords=feather+blades
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline thegagne

« Reply #302 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 19:58:17 »
I need some new shaving soap/cream. Recommend me something reasonably priced?

Proraso. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_1_1_acs_h_2i_2599072011_3778801?ie=UTF8&qid=1390835946&sr=8-1-acs&node=3778801&srs=2599072011&field-keywords=Proraso

Comes in different flavors, and one tube lasts quite a long time.

Yeah I've used up a couple tubes in a year and a half. I did not care for the non-standard flavor one I tried.

Offline nar

« Reply #303 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 20:09:24 »
Yeah I've used up a couple tubes in a year and a half. I did not care for the non-standard flavor one I tried.

Have you tried the Sandalwood (Red) one? I really like that flavour.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline thegagne

« Reply #304 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 08:25:15 »

It was Blue - the aloe + vit E version. I did not care for the smell, it did not lather quite as easily, and it irritated my face. I ended up throwing it away.

The good news is I have ordered another of the "green" version and also some Arko soap to try out. While I enjoy a good shave, I try to do it as utilitarian as I can.

I don't want to be a dancy fancy boy.

Offline tribade

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 13:02:39 »

It was Blue - the aloe + vit E version. I did not care for the smell, it did not lather quite as easily, and it irritated my face. I ended up throwing it away.

The good news is I have ordered another of the "green" version and also some Arko soap to try out. While I enjoy a good shave, I try to do it as utilitarian as I can.

I don't want to be a dancy fancy boy.

I've been using Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood shaving cream for quite a while now, and I love it.  You use so little of it that two tubs of it have lasted me quite a while.  I've heard people rave about Proraso and Arko though, so I don't think you can go wrong.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 10:23:10 »
I use the green prorasso pretty much exclusivly and it is my favorite at the moment, I would like to try some others out.  I much prefer cream to soap.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline tribade

« Reply #307 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 22:57:50 »
I use the green prorasso pretty much exclusivly and it is my favorite at the moment, I would like to try some others out.  I much prefer cream to soap.

If you don't have anything wrong with animal products go with Mitchell's wool fat. No animals were harmed in the making of the cream, but it has something that some people find questionable. I can't remember what is off the top of my head. Lanolin I think. Anyway, I've never heard of anything other than a rave review of it.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #308 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 12:19:45 »
Just some notes on some recent DE blades I've tried.

Bolzano Superinox - Harsh.  Was actually painful to scrape off two-day stubble.  Replaced blade and threw the rest away.

Derby Extra - Decent closeness, just dragged a bit more than I was expecting.  Didn't feel that sharp, left some stubble even after shaving twice.  Better than Gillette 7 O'clock.

Still a major fan of the Feather blades, but I figured I'd try a sampler pack of some of the other brands.  I've got a couple more to try (Treet Platinum & Merkur brand), I'll post impressions once I've tested them out. 

Also tried some Pacific Shaving Shave Oil, which is pretty nice if you like a bit of skin treatment before lathering up.  Less goopy than the pre-shave oil from Art of Shaving, and didn't leave my skin feeling like it had a layer of Vaseline after I was done shaving.

I recently switched to a Merkur Model 180, non-adjustable but I find the default setting works very well.  I like tools with a minimalist ethos, and this razor appeals to me because it's just three parts - a two-part blade holder and the handle.  Easy to clean, blade stays in alignment, longer handle suits my shaving style.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #309 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 13:34:29 »
I'd like to add a razor review for those considering;

Cadet/Razorock TTO - almost a scary amount of blade exposure and an aggressive shaver (somewhat poorly made as it was almost impossible to set the blade straight). I could not find a blade combo that didn't give a harsh feeling shave. One the upside I could get a DFS in 2 passes with touch-up and very minimal irritation if any. So, to sum it up "felt like ****, but did a great job".

For anyone interested in cheap soap;

Van Der Hagen delux - Really in-expensive and easy to find and the smell isn't off-putting (kind of like grand-ma's floral perfume after most of the smell has been blown away); I've been able to find it in nearly every big chain store in the area (Tennessee Georgia-border) and it normally sells for $5 (USD) or less for a pair. It takes some elbow grease to work it into a later (this could be due to hard well-water), but it works great; it doesn't seem moisturize very well, but does allow the blade to glide easily. Once you get it worked into a good foam it has some good staying power, but this can take some work before you know how much water to feed it.

For lathering I'd suggest drenching the puck with hot-water and pouring off excess immediately at/before the time you soak your brush (before use) to soften it up. Shake out your brush well before loading, I don't normally get the best results unless I load the brush well (loading until there is 3~4 mm of cream on the tips of my brush), but this may be due to the hard water. Now it's time to work up your lather; it takes me a good minute of rougher swirling and dabbing to get this stuff to explode into a good slick foam, but does it ever when it does and it's not all looks either. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 February 2014, 13:37:30 by Skull_Angel »

Offline thegagne

« Reply #310 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:30:26 »
Got my green prorasso and some arko soap. Cheap and works well. It's weird but I like the smell.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #311 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 10:05:29 »
Got my green prorasso and some arko soap. Cheap and works well. It's weird but I like the smell.

I've been curious about the small of Arko, everyone's explanation seems so vague.

Offline nar

« Reply #312 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 19:36:03 »
Ahh the pain, my Straight Razor got chipped =_=. Hopefully the person who does my honing can hone it out.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #313 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 20:11:55 »
Ahh the pain, my Straight Razor got chipped =_=. Hopefully the person who does my honing can hone it out.

You dropped it?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline thegagne

« Reply #314 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 23:23:05 »
I've been curious about the small of Arko, everyone's explanation seems so vague.

Kind of like lemon pledge mixed with fresh laundry (but in a good way!)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #315 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 23:57:19 »
I got a badger hair knot! Time to turn a wood handle for it
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #316 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 00:11:34 »

Kind of like lemon pledge mixed with fresh laundry (but in a good way!)

Hmm, that's still about as, if not more, descriptive than most explanations I've read, thanks for the input. I think I'm about to order some Proraso Red soap though, do like the small of sandalwood and many like the way Proraso seems to handle (though that's mostly their cream).

Sweet, is it pure, best, super or silvertip? Sounds like a fun project either way, have fun!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 01:36:10 »

Sweet, is it pure, best, super or silvertip? Sounds like a fun project either way, have fun!

Not sure, but here's what it looks like:
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 09:14:44 »

Show Image

I'm still not that familiar with identifying them, but it look like a pure badger knot so it might be a little scratchy. If you're interested Larry at whippeddog.com does sell silvertip knots pretty danm cheap, good guy too (any issues and he'll normally replace it hassle free).

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #319 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 18:37:26 »

Show Image

That looks like pure black badger.

Offline nar

« Reply #320 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 20:35:53 »

You dropped it?

Airline Checked Baggage XD

Offline JPG

« Reply #321 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 20:38:44 »

Show Image

Wow, super nice handle! What wood is that? Rosewood? Cocobolo? Bocote?

Offline tribade

« Reply #322 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 17:15:24 »

Show Image

That looks sweet!  Any chance you'll be able to turn handles for interested parties on the forums?  ;D

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #323 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 15:08:47 »
So I got my first badger brush after using a boar brush before and I do have to say it is a lot nicer. It soaks up water like sponge, I was absolutely surprised how much water there was in the brush after just dipping it once shortly in the water :eek:
The lather also seemed a bit thicker with smaller "bubbles" even though the water/shaving cream ration should have been the same. I really didn't expect it to make such a difference.

Also I now use Feather blades (I used Personnas before). They're indeed more sharp than the Personnas which I felt especially on my chin as my stubbles are very thick on my chin and I had to shave against the grain there before to get it smooth. I now can achieve the same or better smoothness without doing that. I was also surprised on the first swipe that I didn't hear any "cutting" noise at all - I thought I shaved my skin off. But nope, not a single cut (apart from at my Adam's apple where I always cut myself a tiny bit).
More
63369-0

Allover I'm pretty happy with my purchase and can really recommend for those who don't have a badger brush yet to invest in one! Their quality varies, so don't go for the cheapest one. The brush I bought is a Semogue 2020 and cost me about 32€, so really the price isn't too bad.

Offline JPG

« Reply #324 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 15:14:07 »
So I got my first badger brush after using a boar brush before and I do have to say it is a lot nicer. It soaks up water like sponge, I was absolutely surprised how much water there was in the brush after just dipping it once shortly in the water :o
The lather also seemed a bit thicker with smaller "bubbles" even though the water/shaving cream ration should have been the same. I really didn't expect it to make such a difference.

Also I now use Feather blades (I used Personnas before). They're indeed more sharp than the Personnas which I felt especially on my chin as my stubbles are very thick on my chin and I had to shave against the grain there before to get it smooth. I now can achieve the same or better smoothness without doing that. I was also surprised on the first swipe that I didn't hear any "cutting" noise at all - I thought I shaved my skin off. But nope, not a single cut (apart from at my Adam's apple where I always cut myself a tiny bit).
More

Allover I'm pretty happy with my purchase and can really recommend for those who don't have a badger brush yet to invest in one! Their quality varies, so don't go for the cheapest one. The brush I bought is a Semogue 2020 and cost me about 32€, so really the price isn't too bad.

I agree with you. I went from a cheap boar brush to an affordable Edwin Jagger best badger and the difference was huge.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #325 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 18:23:55 »
i havent gotten into the badger tipped brushes but i really love my merkur safety razor with feather razor blades.  currently i am using the Kiehl's White Eagle shaving cream which i also love.

i never thought shaving could be a passion of mine or that it really mattered. then my boss convinced me to get a merkur blade to save money. he knew what he was doing. he sees how bat**** crazy i am about audio hardware and keyboards and knew i would catch the shaving bug quick.  he collects vintage safety razors and i think his collection is really cool.

its the sound.  the sound i hear when i am shaving. wow is that friggin awesome.  also my wife likes it.  that helps too.

it is weird how so many of you have similar passions as me. i wish we lived closer together. we could really nerd out.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #326 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:54:39 »
Got tired of the cheap ass face-scraper that the Cadet razor is and the excessive number of passes needed from my super speed blue tip so I decided to take the plunge on one of Maggard's inexpensive razors (MR18) while buying more blades. I love their service; got an email the next morning stating that they were on the way to ship the package and another a few hours later with the tracking number. Gonna take a few days for it to get here still, but can't wait!

Offline D01

« Reply #327 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:16:36 »
I'm big into wet shaving.  Think I have like 20 DE razors, mostly Gillette.  Four badger brushes, two are Simpson.  All kinds of soap, aftershave, etc.  Badger and Blade is a nice forum if your into wet shaving.

I buy most of my stuff from WCS.  There are so many good wet shaving products out there.  What I really like about wet shaving is the results.  So many guys these days are choosing for whatever reason to sport the stubble look, I'm one of the few at work that is clean shaven all the time.

This is my favorite razor.  I have better looking ones for sure but this is the best shaver.  30's Gillette New SC.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:19:35 by D01 »

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:59:12 »
What I really like about wet shaving is the results.  So many guys these days are choosing for whatever reason to sport the stubble look, I'm one of the few at work that is clean shaven all the time.

Yeah, I went back and forth between different cartridges and electrics growing up, but didn't really enjoy using any. Came across single-blade shaving and it made a hell of a difference in comfort and results, esp. after pairing it with personally whipped lather. I can't seem to find enough to shave now, but my SO loves the stubble/trimmed look  :))

The only issue I have with trimming/keeping a beard is this gnarly bald spot under my chin, it makes shaping things up under there look odd. I either use a standard trim to keep it off my neck and have a big bald patch or shave closer to my jawline and look a bit like a douche (I'm thinking she really likes that look though, haha)

Nice looking NEW, seems like it's still in great condition.

Offline poeee

« Reply #329 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 02:55:30 »
I don't often shave, but when I do, it's with a safety razor.  I do like to collect old Gillette razors.  I don't go crazy and buy all the razors in the internets.  I prefer to hunt them at garage sales, antique markets and shops.  Here is my humble collection.  I have a couple more that aren't pictured, including a 20's/30's comb style that I probably paid a little too much for at an antique fair (at least it had a Gillette Bakelite box, original or not).

Offline D01

« Reply #330 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 09:00:14 »
Nice looking NEW, seems like it's still in great condition.

Thanks.  The old Gillette's are great, all brass they clean up great.  Here's what my SC looked like when I found it.  Scrubbing Bubbles.  :thumb:

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #331 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 09:59:34 »
My wife picked up some Shark blades for me, and after using Feathers, they just aren't for me.  Willing to ship out packs of 5 for the price of shipping - I got 100 of them.  My hair is just too thick and I prefer the ultra sharp blades more. 

As to shaving cream/soap, I am just about out of my Prorasso and would like some recommendations for replacement.  I still like it, but would like to find something that gets a little thicker lather.  I am using a badger brush and Merkur razor.   I am also nearly out of my Clubman Pinoud after shave and would like to try something new as well.  I really like the heavy alcohol feel of it and had the Clubman Special Reserve before which I really liked the smell of.  The Pinoud has a decent scent, but wears out too quickly. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline D01

« Reply #332 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 23:23:26 »
If you like the Proraso try Cella.

Offline JPG

« Reply #333 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 23:29:48 »
My wife picked up some Shark blades for me, and after using Feathers, they just aren't for me.  Willing to ship out packs of 5 for the price of shipping - I got 100 of them.  My hair is just too thick and I prefer the ultra sharp blades more. 

As to shaving cream/soap, I am just about out of my Prorasso and would like some recommendations for replacement.  I still like it, but would like to find something that gets a little thicker lather.  I am using a badger brush and Merkur razor.   I am also nearly out of my Clubman Pinoud after shave and would like to try something new as well.  I really like the heavy alcohol feel of it and had the Clubman Special Reserve before which I really liked the smell of.  The Pinoud has a decent scent, but wears out too quickly.

My favorite hard soap so far is the Tabac one. Works super nice and smells nice too. I also like to use an alum block after shaving instead or in addition to aftershave. A block cost like 15-20$ and last forever. I like it because it's a nice soft antiseptic so if your aftershave does not have alcohol then you sill have the alum to use as antiseptic. But for a cream soap I only tried to proraso. I find it a good soap when I am too lazy to use an hard soap.

Offline Lammie

« Reply #334 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 15:37:50 »
Haha is this thread for real? Guess so...
I use a Remington. Bought it in 2006, still going strong!
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline D01

« Reply #335 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 16:50:56 »
Haha is this thread for real? Guess so...
I use a Remington. Bought it in 2006, still going strong!

Wrong thread.  You want the pos electric razor thread.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #336 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:46:01 »
i've been interested in this thread, mainly b/c i've got a cutlery kick and buying a few japanese knives and sharpening them, i mean i shave my arm to test if knives are ready anyway, why not this.

seems like lots of you guys use the disposable razor kind, the shavette?

and really about the only 2 companies that seem popular on a search is dovo and feather for straight razors.

i'm gonna get this in a few days

straight razor

and just play around with it.

i already have a whole assortment of dmt diamond stones a 6k grit japanese waterstone, and just wanna see what kind of edge i could put on, then maybe i'll wetshave. (use a norelco currently)

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #337 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:24:39 »
A shavette can't really compare to a straight (it's more for convince for those that can't/don't want to bother with maintenance), the weight and balance make a huge difference and generally a straight can be maintained to have a better edge at all times.

I've heard the gold dollars being alright on a budget, but this was in oooold posts and I'm not sure how that still stands. I haven't really gotten into straights yet, but I think the reason why you hear of Dovo a lot is because they have some of the more budget oriented good quality razors. Feather is more popular for their high quality shavettes, iirc; which do seem very nice trying to mimic a straight's weight and balance, but are quite pricey.

You may also want to pick up a 10k grit stone if you get more serious (I'd say 8k would be borderline), just because it will feel quite a bit rougher on your face than it would have on your arm at 6k. I also think a strop would be a necessity for daily maintenance, you can find cheap ones over at whippeddog.com; in fact, you can also find a lot of great stuff there as well ( don't be afraid to contact the owner too, he's been known to be a good guy).

Offline Lanx

« Reply #338 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 11:27:26 »
yea i'm thinking about a naniwa 12k stone, for cutlery i'm sure it's overkill, but why not.

but along with that i might have to get an entire sink setup for my bench stones.

oh yea i have a strop, just an old belt actually hanging off my oven door handle, i'll probably also get into stropping with compounds soon enough so i'll need dedicated strops.

Offline JPG

« Reply #339 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 12:04:42 »
yea i'm thinking about a naniwa 12k stone, for cutlery i'm sure it's overkill, but why not.

but along with that i might have to get an entire sink setup for my bench stones.

oh yea i have a strop, just an old belt actually hanging off my oven door handle, i'll probably also get into stropping with compounds soon enough so i'll need dedicated strops.

I have been using a straight razor for a year and here's what I can tell you based on my experience:

1. Getting a cheap straight razor to test/practice can be good, as long as it is well sharpened. I bought a very good quality straight razor, but since it was my first time using one and having only seen some youtube video for the technique, my first shave has been hard. But the seller decided to give me a cheap chinese razor that he honed himself for me to get used to it and after a few shaves I went back to my good razor and never regretted my decision after that.

2. The stuff that you should buy if you get into straight razor are: The razor, a badger, a wetshaving soap, a preshave oil, a strop and some oil to keep the razor in good shape. You will also need a piece of balsa wood with some chromium oxide paste. For the honing stone, wait for the need for it. I bought one and still have not used it yet after a year since the chromium oxide has been enough for now (but my razor is really good at keeping an edge). I also recommend getting an alum block (I use it after the shave and it replace the aftershave expect for the perfume). You will also need a stitching pencil since there's a learning curve and you will cut yourself from time to time. Nothing bad, but enough to appreciate it.

3. Be mentally ready to have to relearn how to shave. It's one of the most fun aspect of it, but you must be ready to spend more time shaving while learning and having some less good shaves at first. But the hardest part is only the first weeks. From my experience, after a month I was doing ok, after 3 I was starting to do a second pass. Now I am comfortable with 2 pass and it's enough for me. Maybe someday I'll go for the 3 pass, but I don't feel the need for it.

4. Using a straight razor is FUN, SATISFYING, gives you an awesome shave (only when you get your technique right), and does not take much more time than shaving with other means once used to it. I am happy to have made the move and I would recommend it to anyone that has the desire to try it.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #340 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:13:13 »
got a 12k stone and strop + compound coming my way, need some new knives to play with, or a decent straight razor?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #341 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:35:06 »
As I shave with oil, I tossed away my Gilette Fusion ProGlide, as the 'aloe vera strip' wears of in one shave (completely). Also, the shave is not that good IMHO and the knifes are horribly expensive, especially considering the price. Currently using a Wilkinson (sometimes called Shick? As in Opel - Vauxhaull I think) with three blades, it works pretty darn well. I can use the blades for like... 15-20 shaves, shaving with oil. And the shave is really sharp. Really like it.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline poeee

« Reply #343 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 17:40:26 »
friend sent me a link

http://lifehacker.com/shave-with-olive-oil-to-save-money-and-get-smoother-ski-1489825066

shave with olive oil?

Funny you mention that.  Last night I contemplated using grape seed oil as a pre shave oil.  Grape seed oil is the main ingredient in a lot of beard oils.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #344 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 13:36:46 »
I liked the idea of shaving with oil to save time and more easily shape/style, but in practice it didn't seem to work well for me. After trying out EV olive oil and mineral oil for a few weeks, I just couldn't get use to the way the [safety] razor would tend to suction to my skin, it seems like using oils would work better for razors that had very little surface area to contact skin. On the upside $2.70 pucks of VDH have last me over several months of regular shaving now and do a very nice job (I even got my SO into using it after she ran out of canned goo and I whipped up a bowl for her  ;D ).

Offline Lanx

« Reply #345 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 09:40:10 »
got my 12k stone, really puts that much of a sharper edge, i'm getting a new strop with compound soon too. this strop will only be for the compound, i still use my old belt to final strop. now i'm looking on ebay for non rusty vintage straight (non shavette) razors i guess.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #346 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 23:46:43 »
got my 12k stone, really puts that much of a sharper edge, i'm getting a new strop with compound soon too. this strop will only be for the compound, i still use my old belt to final strop. now i'm looking on ebay for non rusty vintage straight (non shavette) razors i guess.

Sweet stuff, I think Whippeddog.com has some of the best deals on straight razors with their "sight unseen" deals. Iirc, Larry makes sure they're functional pieces and shave ready; they're not all pretty, but everyone that's picked up on the deal says they've gotten good steel out of it.

Offline tribade

« Reply #347 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 00:12:34 »
Just tried out the ikon dlc slant I bought from maggards. It was easily the best shave I've ever had with a de. And I also picked up some clean vetiver aftershave, which I've been enjoying immensely. Highly recommend both products!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #348 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 23:37:15 »
28 bucks for sight unseen, guess it's better than buying from some ebay guy, sent the invoice, lets see how much is shipping.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #349 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 17:44:49 »

My favorite hard soap so far is the Tabac one. Works super nice and smells nice too. I also like to use an alum block after shaving instead or in addition to aftershave. A block cost like 15-20$ and last forever. I like it because it's a nice soft antiseptic so if your aftershave does not have alcohol then you sill have the alum to use as antiseptic. But for a cream soap I only tried to proraso. I find it a good soap when I am too lazy to use an hard soap.

I use Tabac eau de toilette as my daily fragrance for just smelling well groomed and inoffensive. I agree it's a good scent.

Also, on the topic of hard soaps, I have this kicking around because it's dirt cheap and has an interesting smell.