Author Topic: 4K monitor cost is as high as it's resolution  (Read 17588 times)

Online Sniping

4K monitor cost is as high as it's resolution
« on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 15:03:31 »
Asus is doing pre-orders right now for their 4K monitor, and while I would love one, the price is more than my whole gaming setup. Apparently this is a 10-bit display so I guess it could be worth it to some people but again, the price is insane.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ4BIKA

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: 4K monitor cost is as high as it's resolution
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 15:05:00 »
Dsn't seem all that 'insane' to me

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 15:08:51 »
Even though it's supposed to be a really awesome new IPS panel, that pricing is obscene.  Once TFTCentral or Prad.de get their hands one one and test it we'll see if it's worth it I guess.  Too bad Asus has horrible customer service.  Hopefully LG releases theirs soon as, I've found their CS to be awesome.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 15:14:28 »
I still don't full understand the point of 4k displays...

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 15:17:32 »

Same here.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 15:20:37 »

People said the same thing about the "retina display" and other super high resolution monitors.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 15:20:55 »
Aren't bigger numbers always better?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 15:30:01 »

People said the same thing about the "retina display" and other super high resolution monitors.

...and they would be right?

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 16:13:03 »
More resolution is always nice - crisper text, more detailed maps, sharper photos, etc.  Get the resolution high enough, and instead of your eyes seeing pixels approximating lines, your eyes just see lines - with super high DPI screens, interfaces and content can start to feel less digital.  That isn't a bad thing.  We just need the processing power to drive it all (Anandtech's 4K gaming test/preview was rather amusing), and the value proposition is still a long ways off for most of us.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 16:19:57 »
When we're all editing vacation and kid video in 4K in ten years,  we're going to want one. Think I'm wrong? I spent close to $1,000 for a miniDV HD camcorder 7 years ago when my daughter was born. Now, you get 1080p recording in almost every new phone. Amazing times we live in.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 16:21:20 »
When we're all editing vacation and kid video in 4K in ten years,  we're going to want one. Think I'm wrong? I spent close to $1,000 for a miniDV HD camcorder 7 years ago when my daughter was born. Now, you get 1080p recording in almost every new phone. Amazing times we live in.

In 10years I hope we are beyond ****ing 4k displays...

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 18:32:17 »

In 10years I hope we are beyond ****ing 4k displays...
Five years until 4K is affordable to medium income enthusiasts,  then five more years until they are widespread.  2023 is when people start complaining about the expense of 8K monitors. So we'll technically have moved past 4K by then,  I guess.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 18:32:55 »
Whoops

Offline thurst0n

• Key-ping it real
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 18:37:12 »
More resolution is always nice - crisper text, more detailed maps, sharper photos, etc.  Get the resolution high enough, and instead of your eyes seeing pixels approximating lines, your eyes just see lines - with super high DPI screens, interfaces and content can start to feel less digital.  That isn't a bad thing.  We just need the processing power to drive it all (Anandtech's 4K gaming test/preview was rather amusing), and the value proposition is still a long ways off for most of us.
This basically sums it up nicely.

I've been looking into a possible upgrade on my 1080 monitor. It just doesn't seem like a good time. There will be new technologies that make the current standards better, and new technologies that become standard that are in development. I guess this will always be the case.

The other big issue is that I personally cannot afford to actually drive the monitor the way it is meant to be and I don't really need the color reproduction so I have no way to justify it anyway. Might get a 1440 if I find a good cheap one just for the heck of it to tide over 3-5 years but GPUS are a ways off from running 4k at a price that I can personally afford haha.
-- Ducky One TKL --

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 22:30:13 »

have you ever actually seen a 4k TV in person? They're amazing. It's honestly like looking out of a window. I'm on 1440p right now and the jump from 1080p is definitely noticeable. The jump from 1440p to 4k would be insane.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 02:44:41 »
Having a 4k display is like having size Z breasts. Sure they're impressive, but they're also vastly overpriced, strain the eyes if you stare too long, and no one really can support them.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 03:07:54 »
I still want 2560x1440 120hz ISP straight from the factory!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 03:14:33 »
I have a framed piece of pipe that the janitor gave me after cutting my finger out of it. What kind of janitor frames stuff for you? He even put a piece of wood dowel inside so I couldn't do it again... I gotta go find that thing now...

I have a framed piece of pipe that the janitor gave me after cutting my finger out of it. What kind of janitor frames stuff for you? He even put a piece of wood dowel inside so I couldn't do it again... I gotta go find that thing now...

have you ever actually seen a 4k TV in person? They're amazing. It's honestly like looking out of a window. I'm on 1440p right now and the jump from 1080p is definitely noticeable. The jump from 1440p to 4k would be insane.

And how does one consume 4k content?
-4k TV? No.
-4k blurays? No.
-4k gaming? Not really.

Sounds awesome!

....if only they were reasonably priced...
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 03:16:06 by baldgye »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 03:16:32 »
What the **** happened to my post?

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 03:44:01 »
Having a 4k display is like having size Z breasts. Sure they're impressive, but they're also vastly overpriced, strain the eyes if you stare too long, and no one really can support them.

the DPI for a set of breasts is only 2.  It can't compare with 4K display's DPI, unless you use your 4K display to view said breasts.  Then you will appreciate 4K display, and that could be as close to a set of Z breasts as you will ever get.  :D

Offline vyshane

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 06:48:36 »
I'm looking forward to 4k monitors because it's about time we moved on from the maximum 30" size that we've been stuck at for almost a decade. Crisper text while coding will just be the icing on the cake.

As for the price, it's about what we used to pay for 30" monitors when they were first introduced.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 14:49:39 »
Nothing currently supports 4K.

Newer console won't support 4K (Do not be fooled, they said 4K video support but newer consoles only have HDMI interfaces... and you know HDMI max resolution output is 1080p...)

Therefor 4K is pretty useless as of today except if you have very specific applications OR if you want to watch 4 1080p videos on your monitor.

If you want the sweetest you can currently have, buy yourself a good 1440p monitor (Asus PB278Q for exemple, about 600$ or get an iMac they have 1440p only) and enjoy very smooth video playback with the little that currently supports it. Be sure to check if your graphic card has either a DisplayPort (Mini or standard) or a Dual-Link DVI, else 1440p isn't support (means NO VGA and NO HDMI)

Upcomming games will support 1440p but you will require one hell of a GPU to run that kind of resolution smoothly with nice graphics.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:52:43 »
A lot of people are making arguments against 4K that sound identical to what was said against HDTV circa 1999. Technology moves on, and always drops in price.

Don't make the mistake of assuming anything will stay static. It's the early adopter period for 4K, but in ten years there will be lots of content delivery options and it will be commonplace.

Totally agree with the comment about a 4K TV being jaw-dropping. I saw my first one a month ago. Standing 4 feet from a 55" 4K TV is way more impressive than I ever imagined. Bring on the future!
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:54:43 by Techno Trousers »

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:53:34 »
Fat fingers mash button.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 16:00:17 »

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7120/some-quick-gaming-numbers-at-4k-max-settings

Newer console won't support 4K (Do not be fooled, they said 4K video support but newer consoles only have HDMI interfaces... and you know HDMI max resolution output is 1080p...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Version_1.4

HDMI 1.4 increases the maximum resolution to 4K × 2K, i.e. 3840 × 2160p (Quad HD) at 24 Hz/25 Hz/30 Hz or 4096 × 2160p at 24 Hz

calavera, my post beat yours but a fraction of a second!
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 16:02:03 by litster »

Offline calavera

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 16:00:17 »
It's like the super thin curved OLED TV. It's too expensive now but a few years down the line it will become cost effective and become mainstream. My guess is in a decade from now.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 21:08:51 »
i don't see 4k being mainstream anytime soon, it's too much of a tech hurdle, imo. and pricepoint hurdle as well.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 07:24:57 »

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7120/some-quick-gaming-numbers-at-4k-max-settings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Version_1.4

HDMI 1.4 increases the maximum resolution to 4K × 2K, i.e. 3840 × 2160p (Quad HD) at 24 Hz/25 Hz/30 Hz or 4096 × 2160p at 24 Hz

calavera, my post beat yours but a fraction of a second!

Hey thanks for all the links. I didn't know HDMI had an upgrade lately, now it seems fine to work higher resolutions.

I still don't know if the newest generation of consoles are going to support HDMI 1.4 though. I remember both Microsoft and Sony at E3 conferences saying max resolution support is 1080p.

As of the other link it supports what i said, you require some crazy setups to get potent 4K graphics. Metro 2033 at max setting requires 4 cars to play at 60 fps, that's far too much for a two years old game!

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:48:44 »
both consoles said 4k support at e3

But for games? Seems like they're struggling to run 60fps at 1080, 4k doesn't seem realistic, at least not for the AAA games that sell consoles.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:56:00 »
I don't expect this next generation of consoles to run games at 4K. The next next generation in 7-8 years will though (if there is another generation of consoles--a lot of pundits are predicting that this will be the last updates of the traditional console game system ).

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 14:09:59 »
Anyway 4K is just overkill as of today. You really don't need this much resolution. Sony released a piece of hardware capable of playing 4K movies on a 4K screen, but it was 700$ last time i checked. Screens are about 3500$ each... Next thing you know you're off to pay 20 bucks for a 4K movie you gotta download on a connexion you pay... and don't forget the sound system...

It's just so ****ing cash grabing. It must be pretty insane for once but it ain't worth 2 months of salary just for a 4K system.

Stick to 1080p or get a 1440p.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 15:00:22 »
Anyway 4K is just overkill as of today. You really don't need this much resolution. Sony released a piece of hardware capable of playing 4K movies on a 4K screen, but it was 700$ last time i checked. Screens are about 3500$ each... Next thing you know you're off to pay 20 bucks for a 4K movie you gotta download on a connexion you pay... and don't forget the sound system...

It's just so ****ing cash grabing. It must be pretty insane for once but it ain't worth 2 months of salary just for a 4K system.

Because you don't pay $20 bucks for a current HD movie on a paid internet connection or have a sound system tied to a 1080p tv, right?

TIL It's a cash grab when you have a bleeding edge tech piece only.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 02:20:37 »
Even though it's supposed to be a really awesome new IPS panel, that pricing is obscene.  Once TFTCentral or Prad.de get their hands one one and test it we'll see if it's worth it I guess.  Too bad Asus has horrible customer service.  Hopefully LG releases theirs soon as, I've found their CS to be awesome.

The ASUS monitor is not IPS its Sharps IGZO.

Also this if from a review on newegg:
"This is a complete rebadge of the Sharp PK-N321. If you look at the manual you will see that this monitor suffers the same limitations at 4K that the Sharp does.

The mail limitation is that you can't run this monitor at 4K@60Hz over a single cable without using MST (multi streaming technology). MST is a display port feature that lets you stream several simultaneous discrete video streams over a single display port cable. The feature was intended to let you daisy chain multiple monitors together via Display port.

In order to get 4K@60Hz you need to enable MST mode to this display. This means that the display will present itself to Windows as TWO separate physical monitors. This means that you will get two desktops and that you will not be able to use applications full screen.

To get around the above limitation you need to use driver hacks like ATI Eyefinity. The ATI solution works OK on this monitor but Nvidia's Surround feature only supports 3 monitors currently. They don't support 2 monitors so If you want to game on this monitor and you have Nvidia you are out of luck."

ASUS did respond to this saying that Nvidia and Intel (Haswell) both support this DisplayPort mode properly also. I know Nvidia has their surround but I dont think Intel has something like that but I havnt looked at Haswell.

And how does one consume 4k content?
-4k TV? No.
-4k blurays? No.
-4k gaming? Not really.

Sounds awesome!

....if only they were reasonably priced...

For TV there isnt 4K and wont be for a long time we finally just got all digital at least over the air in the US. The cable companies werent forced to switch so there still a fair bit of people with analogue TVs. In Japan though they do have higher than 1080p TV on at least a major provider but its by no means all of the channels or even anything even close to that.

Bluray's couldnt be 4K its impossible. Also the adoption rate of BD in the US is tiny as most people would rather have much lower quality but more accessibility possibly at the cost of owning the content. Many people still watch brand new movies via DVD on their hug HDTVs.

You should be able to play most games at 4K. Though, I wouldnt know how good of a framerate you would be getting as that is 100% based on your system specs.

There isnt really 4k content outside of the cinema yet unless you create it yourself which you can do. The other problem is that even though H.264 can do 4K it is NOT optimized for it. Thats why new video codec's are being developed currently. H.265/HEVC has been available for a while and is significantly better, especially compression wise, than H.264. The problem is that the code isnt optimized to it takes way way to long to encode currently. The other thing to keep in mind is that many devices now can only decode 1080p H.264 efficiently due to hardware decoders, none of which properly support 4K.

Also I think the price is reasonable especially for the first consumer available monitor, especially because one of the better 30in 2560x1600 monitors is still $1500. http://goo.gl/wKLMC

Therefor 4K is pretty useless as of today except if you have very specific applications OR if you want to watch 4 1080p videos on your monitor.

If you want the sweetest you can currently have, buy yourself a good 1440p monitor (Asus PB278Q for exemple, about 600$ or get an iMac they have 1440p only) and enjoy very smooth video playback with the little that currently supports it. Be sure to check if your graphic card has either a DisplayPort (Mini or standard) or a Dual-Link DVI, else 1440p isn't support (means NO VGA and NO HDMI)

Upcomming games will support 1440p but you will require one hell of a GPU to run that kind of resolution smoothly with nice graphics.

There are plenty of things now that support 4K. Is it widespread, no. Is it massively available, no. Will it be adopted massively anytime soon, no.

The newest HDMI interface does support 4K and since thats hardware based and they say itll support 4K video it will have to have it because the port/interface itself is not software upgradable.

HDMI does support 1440p and VGA gets close at 2048x1536 but using VGA on a digital monitor should be allowed. Also current games support 1440p they have for a while even console ports should support it fine since its a 16:9 resolution.

both consoles said 4k support at e3

But for games? Seems like they're struggling to run 60fps at 1080, 4k doesn't seem realistic, at least not for the AAA games that sell consoles.

Current consoles X360 and PS3 run their games at 720p@30fps or 1080p@30fps and according to a few articles (like this one http://goo.gl/DaFJ0 ) that I have read, 1080p@30fps will still be the target for X1 and PS4.

The one thing some of you forget is that just because something has a port capable of 4K doesnt mean the device can handle that resolution. I know all Kepler cards can do 4K even though in the specs they say they cant, it was a driver restriction at launch. I think fermi might be in the same boat but I havnt really looked into it. In the case of the ASUS i think the way that it runs was done on purpose for better compatibility as its not recognized as a single 4K display at least according to that one review.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 07:48:48 »

Because you don't pay $20 bucks for a current HD movie on a paid internet connection or have a sound system tied to a 1080p tv, right?

C'mon fella you know 1080p movies are all free of charge on pirate bay! Now you'll have to pay for specific movies files because the 4K format is so underground you can't find it on torrent networks! :(

That's pretty sad.
I would cry.

EDIT:
@ TheProfosist : Why would you get a 16:10 monitor? You'll have pillarboxing on every media content you'll read... ._.?
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 July 2013, 07:53:35 by Quardah »

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 08:09:12 »

C'mon fella you know 1080p movies are all free of charge on pirate bay! Now you'll have to pay for specific movies files because the 4K format is so underground you can't find it on torrent networks! :(

That's pretty sad.
I would cry.

EDIT:
@ TheProfosist : Why would you get a 16:10 monitor? You'll have pillarboxing on every media content you'll read... ._.?

The thing with torrent networks is they dont create their own content, they re use someone else. So, when no 4K content is easily available they wont have any. Any you can find it on torrent networks mostly not public ones though and its still VERY uncommon for reasons ive stated before.

16:10 is prefered by many people but mostly not for consumption but for creation in which case those extra pixel are a great benefit. I think you were thinking of letterboxing also not pillarboxing either way is not really a big thing because watching a 1080p movie on a 24in 1200p monitor is pretty darn close to the same size as a 1080p movie on a 23in 1080p monitor.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 08:52:51 »

That's pretty sad.
I would cry.

EDIT:

The thing with torrent networks is they dont create their own content, they re use someone else. So, when no 4K content is easily available they wont have any. Any you can find it on torrent networks mostly not public ones though and its still VERY uncommon for reasons ive stated before.

16:10 is prefered by many people but mostly not for consumption but for creation in which case those extra pixel are a great benefit. I think you were thinking of letterboxing also not pillarboxing either way is not really a big thing because watching a 1080p movie on a 24in 1200p monitor is pretty darn close to the same size as a 1080p movie on a 23in 1080p monitor.

Thanks for the heads up.

And i was thinking pillarboxing really (Black stipes at Left/Right or active video). You get letterboxing with pretty much every movies these days.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 11:10:11 »
I'm shopping for a monitor. Have Asus been looking at Dell. When I saw this I choked!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 12:49:44 »
4k is slightly higher resolution than 3×WUXGA in portrait mode. That's what I consider more or less optimal for efficient work (coding). Higher dpi is better (no need for anti-aliasing and other weird stuff with fonts).

I can't wait for reasonable-resolution displays in laptops. I will probably buy more of them and build a wall of monitors.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 13:22:20 »

That's pretty sad.
I would cry.

EDIT:

Not to but in, but I use two 16:10 24" 1920x1200 monitors and prefer them immensely to 1080p counterparts. I prefer the more square shape of the monitor physically overall. Granted I'm hopefully moving to a 1440p sometime soon which is 16:9. I'd prefer a 16:10 2560x1600 monitor but then again, who wouldn't haha. I haven't experienced any pillarboxing, only letterboxing.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline vyshane

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 23:05:12 »
And i was thinking pillarboxing really (Black stipes at Left/Right or active video). You get letterboxing with pretty much every movies these days.

You got it wrong. Letterboxing will be more pronounced on 16:10 than on 16:9, but it's the inverse for pillarboxing.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 23:36:52 »

You got it wrong. Letterboxing will be more pronounced on 16:10 than on 16:9, but it's the inverse for pillarboxing.

You are right indeed it's the height which is bigger not the width.

My bad.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline bigcity_

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 11:32:31 »
That is an insane price.  Hopefully it will drop like everything does over time.  I always hate being the first in new technology because in a year or so the prices drop so much you feel stupid for getting into it so early

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 13:04:40 »
That is an insane price.  Hopefully it will drop like everything does over time.  I always hate being the first in new technology because in a year or so the prices drop so much you feel stupid for getting into it so early

Yeah but you have so much g33k $w@g before it goes mainstream. You're like the hister of g33ksterism.

Just as an exemple look at 3D printers. Get your hands on it and every g33ks arround you will praise you as their new god!

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline vyshane

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 21:01:43 »
Yeah but you have so much g33k $w@g before it goes mainstream. You're like the hister of g33ksterism.

Just as an exemple look at 3D printers. Get your hands on it and every g33ks arround you will praise you as their new god!

Not all the geeks will treat you as a god. Some will take to online forums and say that you're stupid for wasting your money on something this expensive. That you have more money than sense.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 07:55:54 »

Not all the geeks will treat you as a god. Some will take to online forums and say that you're stupid for wasting your money on something this expensive. That you have more money than sense.

Yeah but that's just their opinion man. I mean you can't achieve excellence without a few haters on the background right? While they are mad, why would you give a ****?

I mean on a 4K monitor you could read their hateful ****ty comments in a 1920x1080 web browser window while still listening to 3 1080p movies at the same time.

Winning.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 12:57:21 »

I felt the same way, until I started using an iPhone 4. Now I have an IBM T221. It's 22", IPS, 3840x2400, 204 dpi, and insanely hard to drive. But... once you get it working (and adjust your OS to render at the higher resolution), it looks incredible. I don't like the "fuzzy" look of anti-aliasing technologies: I want my letter to be very crisp and clear. On a conventional LCD (with ~100 dpi), "clear-text" looks like "fuzzy-text" to me, and with clear-text off I can still see the "jaggies" caused by individual pixels. But on the T221, everything looks super clear with "clear-text" disabled.

That said, for television (where the viewing distance is > 6 feet) I don't see the point of 4k resolutions. But for computer work (where the viewing distance is ~2 feet), > 200 dpi is super nice.

The other downside to the IBM T221, is that every other monitor now looks like a child's pointillist art made with felt-tipped pens [I know: first-world problem].
The dream...                     The reality...

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:32:40 »

I felt the same way, until I started using an iPhone 4. Now I have an IBM T221. It's 22", IPS, 3840x2400, 204 dpi, and insanely hard to drive. But... once you get it working (and adjust your OS to render at the higher resolution), it looks incredible. I don't like the "fuzzy" look of anti-aliasing technologies: I want my letter to be very crisp and clear. On a conventional LCD (with ~100 dpi), "clear-text" looks like "fuzzy-text" to me, and with clear-text off I can still see the "jaggies" caused by individual pixels. But on the T221, everything looks super clear with "clear-text" disabled.

That said, for television (where the viewing distance is > 6 feet) I don't see the point of 4k resolutions. But for computer work (where the viewing distance is ~2 feet), > 200 dpi is super nice.

The other downside to the IBM T221, is that every other monitor now looks like a child's pointillist art made with felt-tipped pens [I know: first-world problem].

100% Right.

I get the iPhone exemple. Take an iPad 2 and an iPad Retina (3rd or 4th), or take an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4, and you'll see that there's an insane difference in between the two screens.

Pretty much the same for monitors. I recieved my 1440p last friday (ASUS PB278Q) , and it's just crazy in games. The details and textures are crazy, even with my old AMD6850. Simply watching 1440p images/video makes it 100% worth the extra 300$ i paid for this newer generation of resolution.

Two exemples; With Excel, i can show up to 1829 cells in a single page. On Itunes, on album section, i get over an hundred showed album at the same time.

Plus the desktop is pretty intense with a 1440p windows toolbar. Start menu is just soooo small.

I took my old 1080p and turned it sideways as a second monitor, it's pretty neat for list-sites like a forum (geekhack) or some social sites like reddit or facebook.

All in all, higher resolution is totally worth the extra bucks. Maybe 4K is too expensive for now, but i sincerely believe upgrading your monitor resolution is the best way to enhance your computer experience. It's mostly your primary output device; the better it is, the better everything is (except for sound).

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:37:56 »

That's why my dream is to one day own a 4 or 8K front projector. A 10' wide 2.35:1 constant height screen setup viewed from 12' away. That would be videophile perfection.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:43:56 »
Indeed my friend. Dream big with electronics; it evolves so fast your dreams may come true sooner than you expect.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX