Author Topic: 25MS response time for twitch shooters?  (Read 7338 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
25MS response time for twitch shooters?
« on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:18:24 »
Hey guys, I'm looking at monitors for the new PC build that I'm going to get in the next 4 months or so and I was wondering if you guys think that a 25ms delay will impact or make games like Counter strike GO, or Battlefield, overwatch, etc, feel worse or hinder me in some major way?

I'm looking at the Asus PB258Q, it is a 2560x1440P monitor but the only downside is the rather lackluster specs regarding response time.

There is also the ASUS MG279Q that is 144hz, 2560x1440, gaming IPS monitor, but it also has a slew of problems regarding dead pixels and very bad IPS glow.

I really want an IPS or PLS display but I feel like that if I do that, competitive shooters will be a bit less enjoyable.

Colour and viewing angles, or Great response time, and less light bleed.

I don't know what to pick in this sense, I do play quite a lot of RPGs, slower games, games that don't aren't super response time dependent.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:28:16 by Air tree »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: 25MS response time for twitch shooters?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:19:47 »
Hey guys, I'm looking at monitors for the new PC build that I'm going to get in the next 4 months or so and I was wondering if you guys think that a 25ms delay will impact or make games like Counter strike GO, or Battlefield, overwatch, etc, feel worse or hinder me in some major way?

I'm looking at the ASUS MG279Q it has the 25ms response time, I was thinking about the the 144hz 2560x1440 ASUS monitor that is also IPS but has much better specs, but it seems that model has some serious light bleed and dead pixel problems that are very common.

I really want an IPS or PLS display but I feel like that if I do that, competitive shooters will be a bit less enjoyable.

I don't know what to pick in this sense, I do play quite a lot of RPGs, slower games, games that don't aren't super response time dependent.

You want a 144hz monitor with 25ms response time? Doesn't make sense.

Get one with 1ms response time; I have the BenQ XL2430T and it's great for CS.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:22:29 »

I'm looking at the ASUS MG279Q it has the 25ms response time, I was thinking about the the 144hz 2560x1440 ASUS monitor that is also IPS but has much better specs, but it seems that model has some serious light bleed and dead pixel problems that are very common.

You want a 144hz monitor with 25ms response time? Doesn't make sense.

Get one with 1ms response time; I have the BenQ XL2430T and it's great for CS.
I was referring to a different monitor that has different specs, but also comes with a great deal of problems. http://www.amazon.com/MG279Q-2560x1440-DisplayPort-Ergonomic-FreeSync/dp/B00ZOO348C/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1462829004&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+mg279q

This is the one in question that I was curious about. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRKVGJG/?tag=pcpapi-20

EDITED: I messed up the OP, so it's fixed now. Proof read pls Air tree.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:26:59 by Air tree »

Offline gain

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:33:38 »
At 144hz and assuming the game actually runs at a high enough frame rate, you'll have well under 25ms. Mine's a 144hz TN panel (around 2-3ms of actual delay in the right conditions so perhaps not a fair comparison) and it's pretty close for rhythm games to a CRT (at this point we're being picky about where a 12-15ms window is sitting).

My point is, it shouldn't make a difference. Hell I used to play quake 1 deathmatch (which mind you gets bloody silly) on the most mediocre LCD ever, the biggest difference was making sure my mouse was polling at 1000hz else I couldn't do certain movements consistently.

edit - get what you feel comfy with m8, go with your gut

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:53:36 »
Lower response time before lower Hz IMO.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 22:05:53 »
Just make sure you are measuring display input lag primarily as response time is a separate measurement.

Really, you have so few options that you're going to have to make a compromise somewhere. Either super-fast refresh rates and low lag but medicore picture or great picture and medicore lag. I say, get the best balance if you are only getting one monitor and just deal with whatever lag you have, it's still likely to be better than any VA panel television. I just don't think the 1440p 144hz AHVA/IPS panels are really perfected yet, so there is no way I'd get one now, and I definitely don't want to deal with TN gamma-shift crappiness, so a FAST 60hz IPS (NO AU-OPTRONICS AHVA CRAP!!) panel at 1440p is probably what I would buy if my current 24inch 1200p IPS Asus bit the dust.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 May 2016, 22:12:07 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 22:17:53 »
Head to your basement,  and dig out an Old CRT..

Plug it in..  Turn it on to a WHITE screen for 1 hour.. 

It needs to warm up a bit after long time storage.

THEN calibrate the colors, size,  And fire up CSGo..

Feel that smoothness..

It's like your mouse is one with the screen..

LCDS just can't compare.. even with ULMB.. the tightness is not there.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 22:19:27 »
All the Modern Pr0s say you need a 144hz LCD , etc etc,

Yea that 144 hz helps..  but you don't need that on CRT..  the response time makes up for everything..

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 22:28:21 »
Head to your basement,  and dig out an Old CRT..

Plug it in..  Turn it on to a WHITE screen for 1 hour.. 

It needs to warm up a bit after long time storage.

THEN calibrate the colors, size,  And fire up CSGo..

Feel that smoothness..

It's like your mouse is one with the screen..

LCDS just can't compare.. even with ULMB.. the tightness is not there.

LOL... you really are an old man, aren't you. You really have a basement full of CRTs?? That sounds far-out! ;)

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 22:39:16 »
i got a 144hz 1ms response time monitor (1920x1080 though) and i'd never go back

i was surprised at the difference it made

Offline nugglets

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 23:03:56 »
All the Modern Pr0s say you need a 144hz LCD , etc etc,

Yea that 144 hz helps..  but you don't need that on CRT..  the response time makes up for everything..

Depending on the CRT, you can get 120hz at 1024x768 too. So that's a big part of it, along with the input lag. Though most CRT's are 75-85hz at 1024+. But personally, I can't stand non-16:9 resolutions in FPS games. I always feel like I'm missing half of the visible field, and I laugh at how many times I've seen something on a stream that the pro player playing the game missed because he was playing on black bars.

Still, CS:GO is a game where having 144hz and 250+ fps makes a hugely noticeable difference. Especially on 128 tick servers. If you're playing matchmaking, though, the 144hz is less of a necessity and more of a luxury. And as long as the actual input lag from the display is under ~25ms, you'll be fine. But don't confuse input lag and refresh rate. Use a site like DisplayLag.com to check the real input lag, or search for it somewhere else (like TFTcentral) if it doesn't show up in their database. Refresh rate is one of those "stats" that means a whole lot less than people want you to think. There are monitors that say 1ms but perform terribly in actual testing. Check this out for a decent way to test your monitors actual capabilities: http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 03:11:07 »
I think you guys Really need to Side-by-Side a CRT and a 144hz LCD.

There is no comparison in the LCD world to the responsiveness to CRT.

Move the mouse to the right, the screen goes right

Move the mouse to the left, the screen goes left..

While an LCD is still confused, the CRT is already 2 frames ahead.

LCD with ULMB have gotten very good, at clearing up motion blur..

I whole heartedly recommend them..

But when you want to truly CONNECT with your game..  you NEED a CRT to do that..

You can do 16:9 on a CRT if you like,  just cuts off top and bottom.. No biggy..

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 03:55:38 »
Hmm, tp4 I don't have any basement full of CRTs sadly, are there any model that I should look for? Curiosity...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 03:59:18 »
Hmm, tp4 I don't have any basement full of CRTs sadly, are there any model that I should look for? Curiosity...

Not really....

Sony had very good tubes..

But, overall, it's the Lineage of their Technology which makes them superior, not so much their coat of arms.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 05:40:23 »
All I will say is that colour is king

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 06:01:14 »
All I will say is that colour is king

If you want a picture frame.

I agree..

But this is WAR............... 

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 22:21:49 »
Is really suggest ditching the IPS and go with a TN. You'll have faster refresh and lower lag. I have 3 Asus VG248QE's which are 1080p, 144hz, 1ms, and low lag (can't remember the exact benchmark). These are definitely my favorite monitors that I've used.