Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 383352 times)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1000 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 21:12:43 »
I don't want one, thanks :)
I would recommend having the gasket, it really improves the overall feel of the board. It makes the body of the keyboard stay almost vibration free and allow only the feedback from the keys. It's a really great feel if you have tactile switches, or bottom out when you type.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1001 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 21:36:31 »
I don't want one, thanks :)
I would recommend having the gasket, it really improves the overall feel of the board. It makes the body of the keyboard stay almost vibration free and allow only the feedback from the keys. It's a really great feel if you have tactile switches, or bottom out when you type.

Might as well get it. Try it with and without, doesn't really hurt anything to have some fancy plastic lying around if you end up not liking it.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline tbc

« Reply #1002 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 22:03:13 »
i ordered a gold plate...i'm cool with mine being used as an experiment, but if the painter has low confidence that it won't turn out right and recommends against, i'm going to go with raw.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1003 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 22:22:16 »
i ordered a gold plate...i'm cool with mine being used as an experiment, but if the painter has low confidence that it won't turn out right and recommends against, i'm going to go with raw.

If Tammi at Rainbow doesn't feel confident with something, she won't do it.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1004 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 05:42:10 »
yep

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #1005 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 22:04:18 »
the painter and i have been going over costing and tolerances, and just as a warning, we may have to cut some colors. purple, greens, blues and titan gray are the safest right now. some of these colors might be collapsed though. there might also be a "trust the painter" or "omakase" option where you give tammi, rainbow's painting genius, authorization to treat your plate as a blank canvas :).

I volunteer for painter's preference! Anything goes.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1006 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 10:21:11 »
hey folks,

sorry, i've been sick for the last week. i'm getting ready to kick off gasket production. bunny and i also need to powow on the pcbs. i currently have:

1. about 20 more raw titan plate sets that need to be prepped (i've prepped about 10-15)
2. 40 plate sets at the painters. there are also about 8-10 units there that will be painted with test colors as samples. it turns out that i should have gotten cleanup on both sides, as about half the top plates must be painted, because they have no finish on the "up" side. oops :(
3. enough USB jacks for everyone
4. enough stabilizers for everyone
5. no notched plates.
6. a few sample gaskets that give 2 good options. i'm going to go with the more durable and easier to produce of the two.

i don't have:

1. the whole run of gaskets
2. fasteners and spacers
3. PCBs
4. diodes
5. teensies for those who ordered them
6. notched plates for those who ordered them.

that's the current sitrep. because i'm so behind on work, i need to dig into that for a while, so i'm going to focus on low-effort kickoffs like the pcbs, gaskets. those have a few weeks lead-time, and in the meantime the complex stuff can be plowed through as time allows.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1007 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 10:21:43 »
if you've sent me an email via the store or directly or PM please send it again. the last week kind of disappeared for me.

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #1008 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 13:14:03 »
Thanks for the updates.  When will people know the status of the color selections?  I know there's been talk about some options being dropped.
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1009 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 13:16:32 »
hey folks,

sorry, i've been sick for the last week. i'm getting ready to kick off gasket production. bunny and i also need to powow on the pcbs. i currently have:

1. about 20 more raw titan plate sets that need to be prepped (i've prepped about 10-15)
2. 40 plate sets at the painters. there are also about 8-10 units there that will be painted with test colors as samples. it turns out that i should have gotten cleanup on both sides, as about half the top plates must be painted, because they have no finish on the "up" side. oops :(
3. enough USB jacks for everyone
4. enough stabilizers for everyone
5. no notched plates.
6. a few sample gaskets that give 2 good options. i'm going to go with the more durable and easier to produce of the two.

i don't have:

1. the whole run of gaskets
2. fasteners and spacers
3. PCBs
4. diodes
5. teensies for those who ordered them
6. notched plates for those who ordered them.

that's the current sitrep. because i'm so behind on work, i need to dig into that for a while, so i'm going to focus on low-effort kickoffs like the pcbs, gaskets. those have a few weeks lead-time, and in the meantime the complex stuff can be plowed through as time allows.

Which parts are the 'complex stuff'?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1010 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 18:19:57 »
painting and notched plate cutting are the remaining complex bits.

Offline Hpm

[GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1011 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 04:02:48 »
hey folks,

Hi  mkawa!

I haven`t been watching the threat for an while - but I am glad to see the project progressing. The raw plates are looking wonderful and if you could change my order (nr -----) to the raw plates, I would be very happy.

All the best for You and take the time the project needs.

Greeting from Europe/Germany
Hans-Peter
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 06:52:22 by Hpm »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1012 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 19:04:51 »
yes! please go ahead and fill out the form again with raw titan as your color option. it will overwrite the old entry.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1013 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 06:47:55 »
i've started off the gasket run. next, PCBs!

Offline Hpm

[GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1014 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 06:50:58 »
yes! please go ahead and fill out the form again with raw titan as your color option. it will overwrite the old entry.
Could you point me to the form, please?
tia
Hans-Peter

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1015 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 07:29:35 »
Could you point me to the form, please?
tia
Hans-Peter

http://tinyurl.com/p64c2wy

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1016 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 08:05:45 »
It's been a couple weeks. Any new updates?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1017 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 18:59:50 »
I've ordered some color samples, including a glossy clear that might turn out pretty nicely. I've been trying to get more sample plates to Tammi, but we've got 6+ft of snow on the ground with more coming this weekend, so everything relating to the mail is moving very slowly :(. i'll post the pictures as soon as i have them. since we're at the very beginning of figuring out how titanium looks with this painting process, i've given Tammi free reign on the first few samples. I suspect that they're going to be pretty awesome :D

On the upside, I'm finishing up with a major deadline this weekend, so I should hopefully have a slightly smaller time deficit next week (note: hopefully. could be wishful thinking.).

the PCB order is waiting for bunny and I to get our affairs in order XD. lead time is thankfully pretty quick on that one compared to the gaskets.

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1018 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 19:26:02 »
I've ordered some color samples, including a glossy clear that might turn out pretty nicely. I've been trying to get more sample plates to Tammi, but we've got 6+ft of snow on the ground with more coming this weekend, so everything relating to the mail is moving very slowly :(. i'll post the pictures as soon as i have them. since we're at the very beginning of figuring out how titanium looks with this painting process, i've given Tammi free reign on the first few samples. I suspect that they're going to be pretty awesome :D

On the upside, I'm finishing up with a major deadline this weekend, so I should hopefully have a slightly smaller time deficit next week (note: hopefully. could be wishful thinking.).

the PCB order is waiting for bunny and I to get our affairs in order XD. lead time is thankfully pretty quick on that one compared to the gaskets.

Many thanks for your update! Can't wait to see the color samples. ;)

Mind I also ask about the status of Teensies please? I remember seeing somewhere in this thread, there's some sort of under MOQ problem?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1019 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 19:27:52 »
I can talk to Tammi about something quick on Wed and see what samples look like.  I am heading down there for another project I am doing for an IRC member?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1020 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 21:51:15 »
if she has them ready, would love to see pics. i told her that there wasn't a huge hurry though. i'm snow and deadlined in for the foreseeable future :(

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1021 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 21:54:54 »
If anyone is reading this and is interested in possibly taking over my order let me know. You can customize the colours still, and thechemist is going to be building mine with lubed/stickered mx clears. I am not as interested in this as I was 7 months ago and could use the cash for other hobbies. Send me a pm if interested.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1022 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 21:57:48 »
it's amazing how 4 to 6 weeks can turn into 8+ months with no end in sight, all I wanted was a unique 40% board and to support the cause, gh can be depressing sometimes

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1023 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 21:58:57 »
it's amazing how 4 to 6 weeks can turn into 8+ months with no end in sight, all I wanted was a unique 40% board and to support the cause, gh can be depressing sometimes

Yup, I joined this when I was new to Geekhack, and was hoping to start out with a cool board. Oh well, I guess these things happen, wish I knew this before I ordered though!  :p

Offline nakedninja

« Reply #1024 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 10:07:37 »
If anyone is reading this and is interested in possibly taking over my order let me know. You can customize the colours still, and thechemist is going to be building mine with lubed/stickered mx clears. I am not as interested in this as I was 7 months ago and could use the cash for other hobbies. Send me a pm if interested.

I'm interested, I'll send you a PM, if it's not too late.

Offline sypl

« Reply #1025 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:31:28 »
I'm also interested in selling on my order. It's still a nice board, but I basically wanted it to learn more about how to put together my own one. I basically know how to now, so this isn't as high a priority for me any more.

PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 February 2015, 15:51:28 by sypl »

Offline dashing_girlboy

« Reply #1026 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 07:19:39 »
Well, I'm also looking for a buyer for my order. If anyone is interested, pm me. (: Bought it before college, but for now, I'd rather the money to buy food/pay tuition/survive. :x

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1027 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 08:30:12 »
:( sorry guys. I one-man-armied this and got way too ambitious. this was supposed to be a fairly quick operation for charity, and many months later, i'm losing money on it, and have 100% less time to deal with the inevitable headaches and setbacks. excuses don't get people kits, so i'm focusing on what's needed to push things forward; i've been too proud to say this before, but if anyone has a clever idea on how to hurry things up, i'm all ears..

again, thanks everyone for your patience.

Offline Yslen

« Reply #1028 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 08:32:41 »
If you have any kind of priority list for getting orders out feel free to put mine right at the back, if that'll help others get theirs sooner. I've got one JD40 already so I'm in no rush.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1029 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 08:52:21 »
i can do that.

i just spoke to the painter and we're going to try to get samples ready for pictures and either sent to me or given to melvang early next week.

maybe i should change the name to "the too-big-for-my-britches keyboard kit". sigh.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #1030 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 20:21:42 »
This thread has gotten long and it's a little confusing where we stand.  I read the entire thing last night and corresponded with mkawa a little over email to confirm our status.  He asked me to share my summary with you.  So here goes:

There are about 80 kits that need to be fulfilled.

Kits contain:
  • Plates
  • PCB
  • Diodes
  • USB jack
  • Stabilizer
  • Gasket/Spacers
  • Fasteners
  • Teensy (optional)

Plates
All plates have been cut except for the notched ones.  Raw plates are being cleaned and oiled by mkawa.  Painted plates are waiting on Rainbow to provide samples so GB participants can finalize their color decisions.  Expect pictures of samples next week.  Notched plates are running into unexpected cost issues that have to be figured out.

PCBs
PCB orders will be placed within the next month.  It's best to wait after Chinese New Years before putting in a production order.

Diodes
These will be ordered soon and sent directly to me so I can sort them into individual kits and send them back to mkawa.

USB jacks
Fully acquired.

Stabilizer
Fully acquired.

Gaskets
In production.  ETA for the first batch (50 of them) is 3-5 weeks.

Fasteners/spacers
Need to be specced and purchased.

Teensy
Need to be ordered for those who paid for one.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 February 2015, 01:06:21 by geniekid »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1031 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 20:44:35 »
Thank you mkawa and geniekid for clarifying each piece of the kit.  :)

Offline tbc

« Reply #1032 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 20:56:26 »
Thank you mkawa and geniekid for clarifying each piece of the kit.  :)

DAT TRUTH

much thanks!

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1033 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 05:23:52 »
This thread has gotten long and it's a little confusing where we stand.  I read the entire thing last night and corresponded with mkawa a little over email to confirm our status.  He asked me to share my summary with you.  So here goes:

There are about 80 kits that need to be fulfilled.

Kits contain:
  • Plates
  • PCB
  • Diodes
  • USB jack
  • Stabilizer
  • Gasket/Spacers
  • Fasteners
  • Teensy (optional)

Plates
All plates have been cut except for the notched ones.  Raw plates are being cleaned and oiled by mkawa.  Painted plates are waiting on Rainbow to provide samples so GB participants can finalize their color decisions.  Expect pictures of samples next week.  Notched plates are running into unexpected cost issues that have to be figured out.

PCBs
PCB orders will be placed within the next month.  It's best to wait after Chinese New Years before putting in a production order.

Diodes
These will be ordered soon and sent directly to me so I can sort them into individual kits and send them back to mkawa.

USB jacks
Fully acquired.

Stabilizer
Fully acquired.

Gaskets
In production.  ETA for the first batch (50 of them) is 3-5 weeks.

Fasteners/spacers
Need to be specced and purchased.

Teensy
Need to be ordered for those who paid for one.

Thank you for the summary.
Mkawa, thanks for your effort too.

I ordered a notched plate and according to the summary, you are running into cost issue. I guess the plate hasn't gone through extra cutting. If this is the case, is it possible that you downgrade my plate to without notch and refund the extra money I paid?

This would probably speed up things and avoid you from suffering a loss by cutting the notches. ;)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #1034 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 12:03:52 »
If you have any kind of priority list for getting orders out feel free to put mine right at the back, if that'll help others get theirs sooner. I've got one JD40 already so I'm in no rush.
You can do this for me too. I already have my 40% that JD built so I can wait longer.

Offline Yslen

« Reply #1035 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 12:05:40 »
Happy to downgrade to a non-notched also, if that solves any problems.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1036 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 06:56:42 »
folks,

the batch of gaskets came in yesterday. huge thanks to geniekid for handling comms on this; i have a few days of breathing room starting tomorrow, so i will add up some numbers and see where things stand, as well as talk extensively to the painter and other suppliers.

thanks so much for your patience, and please know that geniekid is communicating extensively with me to keep y'all updated and relay concerns

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1037 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 08:09:13 »
folks,

the batch of gaskets came in yesterday. huge thanks to geniekid for handling comms on this; i have a few days of breathing room starting tomorrow, so i will add up some numbers and see where things stand, as well as talk extensively to the painter and other suppliers.

thanks so much for your patience, and please know that geniekid is communicating extensively with me to keep y'all updated and relay concerns

pics or it didn't happen :P
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline geniekid

« Reply #1038 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 12:05:18 »
mkawa sent me this picture.

91181-0

I'm asking him for a better picture and how well the gaskets work.  With actual gaskets in hand it should be possible to spec out the fasteners.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #1039 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 12:30:43 »
My plan is to post a self standing status summary (similar to the one above) once a week, hopefully with signs of progress but even if there isn't anything to report.

With regard to downgrading notched plates there is a question as to whether that would be helpful (although the gesture is appreciated :) ).  I suspect that having too many people drop their notched plates will just result in an increased cost for the people who still want one, although this is purely conjecture on my part.  Some ideas have been tossed around and I think mkawa is working hard to figure out the most effective solution.

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #1040 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:26:09 »
Thanks for stepping up to help out, geniekid. I'm in no rush as I still need to learn to solder! My LTS kit is collecting dust at the moment :(
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1041 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:32:07 »
So I stopped by Rainbow today to drop off a piece I am doing for someone else and asked Tammi if I could see the test plates.  She was happy to show me.

91188-0
Sorry about the potato with much less than optimal light, I took this in their paint booth.

The colors are very vivid.  The clear has a slight texture due to interacting with stuff left in the surface ground texture.  It is nothing that really detracts from the look and is only really noticeable IP close and personal.  This is only due to the fact that Tammi doesn't want to media blast it and remove that finish.  The pink is very bright but has a lot of texture due to having to be put on thicker than other colors.  I guess this is an issue with all pinks and possibly very light purples.  Again nothing wrong with it, just not glass smooth.  The other colors look absolutely stunning.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1042 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:34:36 »
(Attachment Link)

I have many regrets for not joining this buy now. I'm going to have to get my plates ano'd and then figure out how to get TI for myself...

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1043 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:38:43 »
So I stopped by Rainbow today to drop off a piece I am doing for someone else and asked Tammi if I could see the test plates.  She was happy to show me.

(Attachment Link)
Sorry about the potato with much less than optimal light, I took this in their paint booth.

The colors are very vivid.  The clear has a slight texture due to interacting with stuff left in the surface ground texture.  It is nothing that really detracts from the look and is only really noticeable IP close and personal.  This is only due to the fact that Tammi doesn't want to media blast it and remove that finish.  The pink is very bright but has a lot of texture due to having to be put on thicker than other colors.  I guess this is an issue with all pinks and possibly very light purples.  Again nothing wrong with it, just not glass smooth.  The other colors look absolutely stunning.

If something like this ever drops for the JD45 I'll be in.  :thumb:
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1044 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:39:45 »
(Attachment Link)

I have many regrets for not joining this buy now. I'm going to have to get my plates ano'd and then figure out how to get TI for myself...

There are people looking to sell their spots, you could always take one of those.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1045 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:04:24 »
(Attachment Link)

You should probably buy someone out. You always need more cool stuff.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline geniekid

« Reply #1046 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:09:36 »

(Attachment Link)

Wow those look really cool.  Thanks for the pics Melvang :thumb:

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #1047 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:10:43 »
They look great.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #1048 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:33:44 »
Woah, now I really can't wait for the keyboard to arrive :eek:

I guess waiting for it is half the fun :))

Offline tbc

« Reply #1049 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:39:40 »

(Attachment Link)

was there a bronze plate?