Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 383321 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1050 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:47:46 »
So I stopped by Rainbow today to drop off a piece I am doing for someone else and asked Tammi if I could see the test plates.  She was happy to show me.

(Attachment Link)
Sorry about the potato with much less than optimal light, I took this in their paint booth.

The colors are very vivid.  The clear has a slight texture due to interacting with stuff left in the surface ground texture.  It is nothing that really detracts from the look and is only really noticeable IP close and personal.  This is only due to the fact that Tammi doesn't want to media blast it and remove that finish.  The pink is very bright but has a lot of texture due to having to be put on thicker than other colors.  I guess this is an issue with all pinks and possibly very light purples.  Again nothing wrong with it, just not glass smooth.  The other colors look absolutely stunning.

was there a bronze plate?

Not when I was there.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #1051 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:48:49 »
(Attachment Link)

I have many regrets for not joining this buy now. I'm going to have to get my plates ano'd and then figure out how to get TI for myself...

my purp one is dedicated to you!  Although, I'm not sure how long I will keep it since I am already trying to downsize
Hi :)

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #1052 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:53:20 »
Are these paint or cerakoted?  I think I zoned out at that part.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1053 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:59:08 »
Are those all powder coated??
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1054 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 20:00:23 »

It is Cerokote.

Edit: The two plates on the left side are both coated clear.  Also, put a capital letter on Cerokote as it is a trademarked name.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 February 2015, 20:03:43 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline tbc

« Reply #1055 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 23:14:51 »
So I stopped by Rainbow today to drop off a piece I am doing for someone else and asked Tammi if I could see the test plates.  She was happy to show me.

(Attachment Link)
Sorry about the potato with much less than optimal light, I took this in their paint booth.

The colors are very vivid.  The clear has a slight texture due to interacting with stuff left in the surface ground texture.  It is nothing that really detracts from the look and is only really noticeable IP close and personal.  This is only due to the fact that Tammi doesn't want to media blast it and remove that finish.  The pink is very bright but has a lot of texture due to having to be put on thicker than other colors.  I guess this is an issue with all pinks and possibly very light purples.  Again nothing wrong with it, just not glass smooth.  The other colors look absolutely stunning.

was there a bronze plate?

Not when I was there.

well. damn.

does anyone know if bronze will make the final cut or has it been 'disqualified' already?

i'm going to be a sad ducky if i don't get bronze or gold :(
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1056 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 09:37:54 »

It is Cerokote.

Edit: The two plates on the left side are both coated clear.  Also, put a capital letter on Cerokote as it is a trademarked name.

Thanks for the pic. The black or grey looks good.
Hope there is a bronze sample too, if it hasn't been ruled out...

Offline Yslen

« Reply #1057 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 12:22:17 »
(Attachment Link)

I have many regrets for not joining this buy now. I'm going to have to get my plates ano'd and then figure out how to get TI for myself...
I'm still interested in selling my order if you want to get in.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #1058 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 13:56:05 »
well. damn.

does anyone know if bronze will make the final cut or has it been 'disqualified' already?

i'm going to be a sad ducky if i don't get bronze or gold :(

Same, would at least like to be able to choose an alternative color as I'd prefer not to get the raw titan by default.

Offline bboyer

« Reply #1059 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:29:14 »
I'm going to be so hyped if us that ordered bronze get burnt bronze cerakote. It is one of the most popular cerakote colors, so I'm sure they have painted it before

Offline geniekid

« Reply #1060 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:22:54 »
Status summary for this week:  See below.  Not much has changed although the gaskets came in much earlier than expected!  Also, we're running into some real cost concerns but there some solutions that are up in the air.  More on this later.

Kits contain:
  • Plates
  • PCB
  • Diodes
  • USB jack
  • Stabilizer
  • Gasket/Spacers
  • Fasteners
  • Teensy (optional)

Plates
All plates have been cut except for the notched ones.  Raw plates are being cleaned and oiled by mkawa.  Painted plates are waiting on Rainbow to provide samples so GB participants can finalize their color decisions.  There are some pictures of samples earlier in the thread but the full range of color options is still being determined.  Notched plates are running into unexpected cost issues that have to be figured out.

PCBs
PCB orders will be placed within the next month.  It's best to wait after Chinese New Years before putting in a production order.

Diodes
These will be ordered soon and sent directly to me so I can sort them into individual kits and send them back to mkawa.

USB jacks
Fully acquired.

Stabilizer
Fully acquired.

Gaskets
First batch of these are in.  They are tested and fit is good.

Fasteners/spacers
Need to be specced and purchased.

Teensy
Need to be ordered for those who paid for one.

A picture of a raw plates:
91449-0

Offline Peglah

« Reply #1061 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 09:41:27 »
Is it still possible to order this keyboard or is it to late?

Edit, Have found a seller.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 February 2015, 04:03:15 by Peglah »

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #1062 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 09:42:18 »
Scroll throughout the last few pages. People are willing to give theirs up.

Offline dashing_girlboy

« Reply #1063 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 00:39:25 »

I'm selling and it's not too late. check your pm.  :p

Offline Peglah

« Reply #1064 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 04:03:57 »

Have found a seller.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1065 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 08:13:14 »
hey folks, home sick today so i wanted to give you a quick update

i received the sample colored plates from tammi @ rainbow yesterday. they're pretty amazing. i had some questions about exactly which processes she used, but i can assure you that the matte ceramic is _amazing_, and her other samples are no slouches either. there's one in particular that is just out of this world, but i have to chat with her to make sure the coating won't be too thick.

the trick with color selection is that we have to purchase at least 100$ of each color to coat any boards in that color at all. coloring was originally costed at 600$ total, and is now probably going to be over 3000$. i set a fixed price and screwed up the costing all by myself, so i'll take the hit, but we can make the hit a bit smaller if we get creative with selection. i have some folks to talk with, but we'll post something around the end of the week if the ducks get lined up.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1066 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 08:15:14 »

i received the sample colored plates from tammi @ rainbow yesterday. they're pretty amazing. i had some questions about exactly which processes she used, but i can assure you that the matte ceramic is _amazing_, and her other samples are no slouches either. there's one in particular that is just out of this world, but i have to chat with her to make sure the coating won't be too thick.

the trick with color selection is that we have to purchase at least 100$ of each color to coat any boards in that color at all. coloring was originally costed at 600$ total, and is now probably going to be over 3000$. i set a fixed price and screwed up the costing all by myself, so i'll take the hit, but we can make the hit a bit smaller if we get creative with selection. i have some folks to talk with, but we'll post something around the end of the week if the ducks get lined up.

So if our particular color choice doesn't make it can we pay the $100 to get it? Will there be any bronze or gold or even orange?

ps: get well soon  :thumb:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1067 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 10:51:37 »

I don't want to get ahead of myself/ourselves here, but I still really really would love something approximating the Vector Purple and Aqua colors originally proposed.  I understand that this is a different process, so it may not be possible, but the main point I'm making here is that I will pay extra for it to see it through to production.   :thumb:

I will await further feedback from you and Tammi, of course.  :)

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1068 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 14:08:04 »

I don't want to get ahead of myself/ourselves here, but I still really really would love something approximating the Vector Purple and Aqua colors originally proposed.  I understand that this is a different process, so it may not be possible, but the main point I'm making here is that I will pay extra for it to see it through to production.   :thumb:

Show Image

I will await further feedback from you and Tammi, of course.  :)

I second something like vector purple. As everyone should know purple > other colors.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1069 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 06:36:49 »
i've picked the purple and it is indeed epic. titan gray and purple will be the first to go into production. because these colors are going to match the danco colors, i'm going to go ahead and start producing. i also have a color i like that is somewhere between aqua and light blue -- cerakote "robins egg blue". because i'm not sure where it fits, i'm not going to go into production on any of the blues or greens yet.

the purple is cerakote "bright purple" for reference.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1070 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 06:45:15 »
also, a proposal for those who ordered notched plates:

would folks who bought notched plates be interested in custom colors instead of notched plates? if groups of 7-10 folks who ordered notched plates can agree on a completely 100% custom cerakote color, i can order that color paint instead of the notched plate and you can pick your own completely badass color choice out of the entire spectrum of cerakote paints. i will have to check with tammi, but simple patterns might even be possible with, for example, a group of 20.

my initial color samples -- the pink and green in this sample batch will not go into production
91913-0

a multi-color cerakote using stencils:
91915-1
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 06:51:20 by mkawa »

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #1071 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 06:48:21 »
I can't speak for others, but I speak for myself when I say that I want notched plates. I ordered an intentionally neutral color, and with my plans to install custom springs, switch tops, etc., a "badass" color wouldn't help me much. This project has changed enough as is; I'd like to keep the thing I paid an extra $50 for the same.
GODLIKE SmallFry in progress.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1072 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 06:48:53 »

So if our particular color choice doesn't make it can we pay the $100 to get it? Will there be any bronze or gold or even orange?

ps: get well soon  :thumb:

So no bronze, gold and/or orange colors?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1073 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 06:52:56 »
no bronze, gold or orange colors have been picked yet

the notched plate substitution is a proposal and can be worked out on a person (or small group) to person (or small group) basis.

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #1074 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 06:58:35 »
Yeah, didn't mean for that to sound angry, just putting my thoughts out there.
GODLIKE SmallFry in progress.

Offline Yslen

« Reply #1075 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 07:43:02 »
I'm looking to sell on my kit either before or after delivery, as I've got one JD40 since placing the order. So, basically, I'm easy, and I'll go with whatever makes things simpler for you to handle :)

Edit for clarification purposes: I'm one of the notched plate orders

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #1076 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 09:44:27 »
i've picked the purple and it is indeed epic. titan gray and purple will be the first to go into production. because these colors are going to match the danco colors, i'm going to go ahead and start producing. i also have a color i like that is somewhere between aqua and light blue -- cerakote "robins egg blue". because i'm not sure where it fits, i'm not going to go into production on any of the blues or greens yet.

ming -- did you get my PM about wanting switch back to raw for my order?

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1077 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 09:52:02 »
I remember someone said he wants a burnt bronze, which looks real cool. I'm happy to change my color to burnt bronze by not trading with notched plate.

If the burnt bronze cannot make it, I'm fine with original plan or that notch upgrade refund, whichever works better.

Offline tbc

« Reply #1078 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 11:22:18 »
I can't speak for others, but I speak for myself when I say that I want notched plates. I ordered an intentionally neutral color, and with my plans to install custom springs, switch tops, etc., a "badass" color wouldn't help me much. This project has changed enough as is; I'd like to keep the thing I paid an extra $50 for the same.

i'm in the same boat. it's critically important i get notched plates.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1079 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 17:21:02 »

ming -- did you get my PM about wanting switch back to raw for my order?
no, i've updated it now.

ooh, burnt bronze? any other takers?

while we're looking at colors, here are some i really like:

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-400Q/jesse-james-eastern-front-green/

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-140Q/bright-white/

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-240Q/mil-spec-od-green/

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-216Q/smith-wesson-red/
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 17:31:34 by mkawa »

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #1080 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 21:34:16 »
Just to clarify, these kits do not come with switches or caps?

Offline tbc

« Reply #1081 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 21:38:22 »
Just to clarify, these kits do not come with switches or caps?

they come with neither

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #1082 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 21:39:56 »
I see, that's a shame well I appreciate the heads up.

Offline panrc

« Reply #1083 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 02:30:24 »
I'm with Ceedog and tbc, My plans really hinged on having the notched plate and I'm not really interested in other colours as I've already settled on titan gray.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1084 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:46:55 »
I value my choice of crazy colors more than I value the notched plate, but I am still interested in exploring options/costing to make both a reality.   :thumb:

Offline tahuds

« Reply #1085 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:32:26 »
For those of us getting a raw ti plate set with gaskets what is the lead time looking like from this point? It looks like all that needs to be done is the PCBs and the hardware to hold the board together.
I have beerology feedback from sales on the arstechnica.com forum going back to 2007 at the link-  http://www.beerology.com/view.cfm?id=3848

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1086 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:53:17 »
hold that thought tahuds. you're either going to get some insanely cool news or a kit soon. working with some folks to make the insanely cool news happen.

it's definitely possible to get a notched plate and crazy colors, at a cost.

the bottom line on the posts above is that i have screwed this up royally to the point where: there is no money left to give to charity, and i'm paying for the rest of production out of pocket. because it was my fault, i'm going to donate cash out of hand to the smallfry foundation after everyone gets product.

the folks i'm working with are trying to help, and we might be able to give you insanely cool news if that all works out. if it doesn't, production will march on as it has been.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1087 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:55:51 »
Really sorry to hear things haven't worked out as planned.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1088 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:57:18 »
my purp one is dedicated to you!  Although, I'm not sure how long I will keep it since I am already trying to downsize

Aww I'm flattered haha. It's too bad you won't keep it, I'm sure it's going to be great :).

my initial color samples -- the pink and green in this sample batch will not go into production
(Attachment Link)

I'm going to pick up one of the pink plates. I'll take pictures and share them here so there's some more info on how the finish will look :). Pretty stoked for it actually.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1089 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 08:18:43 »
here are some detail pictures to get a better idea of what the ceramic coats look like. the deep gray brushed plate is a matte clear that will be "titan gray"

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1090 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 08:25:35 »
What color is the third one?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1091 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 08:26:57 »
matte clear
robins egg blue
bright purple

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1092 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 08:30:21 »
matte clear
robins egg blue
bright purple

robins egg blue   :eek:   <3

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1093 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 08:34:03 »
These colors are a touch brighter in person.  It is hard to describe and even with Mkawas pics, difficult to photograph.  I imagine its like trying to photograph my black on black Geek Hack key from BunnBros group buy.

These things are amazing in person. 

I am still raw titanium though.  Personally I couldn't bring myself to paint it for this application.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1094 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:00:51 »
The  bright purple looks so blue, that's why I  was asking. It's hard to tell from the picture.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1095 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:03:19 »
just potatocam effects combining with monitor color skew. it's very purple in person

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1096 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:03:53 »
Is there any chance of getting a darker gray or black color?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1097 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:08:51 »
that would be a special order. i'd love to do a glossy black or gray with a color tint as a notched plate sub or as a pay option. the semi-neutral colors in the cerakote line look _amazing_

here's one of my favorites: http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-210Q/sig-dark-grey/

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-245Q/socom-blue/

and.. BLACK

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-109Q/gloss-black/

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1098 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:11:04 »
I was hoping to have a geekhack themed board with a bronze/orange something bottom plate and a grayish/black top plate (the titan just looks silver to me maybe its the pic) and use the hack'd SA set on it.

Of course looking at the colors on the cerakote firearm coatings I'd say this isn't going to happen.

In the pic posted with the sample plates (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59203.msg1657421#msg1657421) the second from the top looks to be a darker color, is that just raw titanium with a clear coat?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:22:59 by SpAmRaY »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1099 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:24:00 »
raw titanium with a matte coat. the matte is a darker silver when there isn't a large light shining on it as in the pictures