Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 381399 times)

Offline bboyer

Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1100 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:02:40 »
i've picked the purple and it is indeed epic. titan gray and purple will be the first to go into production. because these colors are going to match the danco colors, i'm going to go ahead and start producing. i also have a color i like that is somewhere between aqua and light blue -- cerakote "robins egg blue". because i'm not sure where it fits, i'm not going to go into production on any of the blues or greens yet.

the purple is cerakote "bright purple" for reference.

ming -- did you get my PM about wanting switch back to raw for my order?
no, i've updated it now.

ooh, burnt bronze? any other takers?

Signed up originally for Bronze hoping it would be burnt bronze, so put my vote down for that also

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1101 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 01:55:53 »
Thank you for the recent progress updates!
I am now having a hard-time deciding between purple , titan grey, and raw.  ???

Also, my kit is still up for grabs if anyone is interested, if not, I won't be sad to keep it.  :thumb:

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #1102 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 02:04:41 »
I'm interested in doing a dark gray/black option as well. Since I also want a notched plate, how much will a custom color run me?
GODLIKE SmallFry in progress.

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #1103 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 04:14:10 »
i've picked the purple and it is indeed epic. titan gray and purple will be the first to go into production. because these colors are going to match the danco colors, i'm going to go ahead and start producing. i also have a color i like that is somewhere between aqua and light blue -- cerakote "robins egg blue". because i'm not sure where it fits, i'm not going to go into production on any of the blues or greens yet.

the purple is cerakote "bright purple" for reference.

ming -- did you get my PM about wanting switch back to raw for my order?
no, i've updated it now.

ooh, burnt bronze? any other takers?

while we're looking at colors, here are some i really like:

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-400Q/jesse-james-eastern-front-green/

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-140Q/bright-white/

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-240Q/mil-spec-od-green/

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-216Q/smith-wesson-red/

I know I'd love Burnt Bronze for the bronze choice!
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline GSimon

« Reply #1104 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 10:26:20 »
I know I'd love Burnt Bronze for the bronze choice!

Offline Wigflip

« Reply #1105 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 09:47:03 »
Nearly a year later, and still in production. Some high-rises are built more quickly. This is why I stopped doing group buys.

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #1106 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 10:49:29 »
Come now, comrade, is this not fun? Are you not having fun?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1107 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 10:55:48 »
Come now, comrade, is this not fun? Are you not having fun?

So much fun I can hardly stand it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1108 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:46:04 »
Nearly a year later, and still in production. Some high-rises are built more quickly. This is why I stopped doing group buys.

Just choose your buys carefully.  Some leaders are better than others.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1109 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:54:54 »

Just choose your buys carefully.  Some leaders are better than others.

Anymore I just go with jdcarpe's signature

"We throw our money || Into the vaporous void || Sometimes we get stuff"

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #1110 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 07:26:29 »
edit: nvm.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2015, 07:35:06 by daddytime »
Tell Daddy.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #1111 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:13:50 »
Status remains largely unchanged from my previous post.  Plates are still being painted and I believe titan grey and purple ones are done.  Other parts are waiting for the following to be resolved:

the folks i'm working with are trying to help, and we might be able to give you insanely cool news if that all works out. if it doesn't, production will march on as it has been.

I don't really have much info on what's being tossed around but I will let mkawa announce anything that arises :)

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #1112 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 00:17:24 »
Status remains largely unchanged from my previous post.  Plates are still being painted and I believe titan grey and purple ones are done.  Other parts are waiting for the following to be resolved:

the folks i'm working with are trying to help, and we might be able to give you insanely cool news if that all works out. if it doesn't, production will march on as it has been.

I don't really have much info on what's being tossed around but I will let mkawa announce anything that arises :)

Sorry to be a bother but am I to understand cut-out plates are still yet to be done?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1113 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 00:31:25 »

Sorry to be a bother but am I to understand cut-out plates are still yet to be done?

That is correct, I believe mkawa is looking for a way to finance this.

Offline tahuds

« Reply #1114 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 12:21:00 »
Do we have an eta on the pcbs?
I have beerology feedback from sales on the arstechnica.com forum going back to 2007 at the link-  http://www.beerology.com/view.cfm?id=3848

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1115 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 20:29:56 »
sigh. i hate to be so quiet on this front, but i am _still_ trying to work with some folks on some hopefully exciting developments for the parts of the kit that aren't titanium or sorbothane. i would not be trying so hard to work on this if i didn't think it was pretty exciting. that said, i also want to give people their kits, so i'm trying as hard as i can to balance the possibility of exciting vs the reality of sending people kits asap. i have been SWORN TO SECRECY on these discussions, but i will make a final decision next week.

on the upside, tammi and i have settled wild green for the green plates, ridgeway blue for deep blues, and are looking at burnt bronze for the bronze plates.

re: the cut-out plates, the ongoing discussions also involve those plates.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1116 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 20:33:20 »
Will there be a sample done for burnt bronze? Curious to see how that comes out!!

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1117 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 20:55:38 »
sigh. i hate to be so quiet on this front, but i am _still_ trying to work with some folks on some hopefully exciting developments for the parts of the kit that aren't titanium or sorbothane. i would not be trying so hard to work on this if i didn't think it was pretty exciting. that said, i also want to give people their kits, so i'm trying as hard as i can to balance the possibility of exciting vs the reality of sending people kits asap. i have been SWORN TO SECRECY on these discussions, but i will make a final decision next week.

on the upside, tammi and i have settled wild green for the green plates, ridgeway blue for deep blues, and are looking at burnt bronze for the bronze plates.

re: the cut-out plates, the ongoing discussions also involve those plates.

I need to know the secret!
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline tbc

« Reply #1118 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 21:08:56 »
Will there be a sample done for burnt bronze? Curious to see how that comes out!!

i just hope it goes good with gold accents on other parts of the keyboard
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline shrapneL

« Reply #1119 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 09:02:26 »
Is there a way to find out what color I chose for my plates? Order 1058.
hello.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1120 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 19:51:47 »
OK, I've talked with folks and it looks like cool stuff is a go. We're working on an announcement and you will hear from everyone involved by the end of the week.

1058 is titan gray on both plates :D

if anyone can show me how to build a read-only view of a google spreadsheet that only includes a subset of columns, i can make the color choices public. i could have sworn i've seen people give talks about how this is implemented but darned if i can actually figure out how to do it.. :/

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1121 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 19:52:56 »
neither bronze has been ordered yet. the green and blue colors have come in. we'll paint one of each to make sure it's what we want and then i'll go ahead with production of those colors.

we'll get to bronze after the ordered colors have been debugged and produced

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1122 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 20:07:49 »
neither bronze has been ordered yet. the green and blue colors have come in. we'll paint one of each to make sure it's what we want and then i'll go ahead with production of those colors.

Thanks for updating. Mind I ask how about the notched plate please?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1123 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 20:16:08 »

I'm OK with being a bronze guinea pig for my bottom plate if it would speed things up.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1124 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 20:31:15 »

I can't remember if it was mentioned before, but what is the status on purple?

Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1125 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 20:43:28 »
Working on the notched plates.

Purple plates have been painted and are headed towards me

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1126 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 21:19:15 »
Working on the notched plates.

Purple plates have been painted and are headed towards me

Oh I'm excited for pictures.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1127 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 19:58:54 »
actually, i'm not entirely sure where they are. i thought they were heading to me, but they may still be in iowa.

as for the announcement, it's kind of a large-ish announcement that is a bit bigger than just the smallfry kit, which is cool, but also means that it requires a number of parties to organize themselves while still doing the work required to make the announced thing happen asap. we're getting there (a) and (b) it will be a cool bonus to thank everyone for their patience and participation.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1128 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:20:32 »

I'm OK with being a bronze guinea pig for my bottom plate if it would speed things up.

Can't seem to PM so bumping.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1129 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:29:57 »
I'm new here and never met Smallfry but man, I kind of want to order one. I've just got too much money into group buys right now...

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1130 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:36:13 »

wait, do you want to guinea pig burnt bronze or regular bronze?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1131 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:43:20 »

No preference whatever would be the most helpful.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1132 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 21:06:01 »
so what you're saying is that you want a neon pink plate with your name written on it in glitter?

although come to think of it, that would be incredibly awesome...

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1133 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 21:21:24 »

so what you're saying is that you want a neon pink plate with your name written on it in glitter?

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1134 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 21:33:43 »

I have no preference so long as the bottom plate is bronze, burnt or otherwise. :P
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 March 2015, 15:32:22 by SpAmRaY »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1135 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 23:32:39 »
 :cool:

Offline tahuds

« Reply #1136 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 19:09:34 »
So do we have an ETA for those of us who ordered raw plates? If I remember correctly from a month ago all we were waiting on was the PCB's to be made and fasteners.
I have beerology feedback from sales on the arstechnica.com forum going back to 2007 at the link-  http://www.beerology.com/view.cfm?id=3848

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1137 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 19:44:06 »
I'm confused. It sounds like things are already in production but the order form says 6 left. Are there still six orders open or is this GB closed?

My boards:
More

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1138 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 19:46:29 »
I'm confused. It sounds like things are already in production but the order form says 6 left. Are there still six orders open or is this GB closed?

Things are in production but there are still 6 orders open.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1139 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 19:49:36 »
So do we have an ETA for those of us who ordered raw plates? If I remember correctly from a month ago all we were waiting on was the PCB's to be made and fasteners.
mkawa's big announcement will have to do with the PCBs. We couldn't have them made a month ago, due to the CNY holiday, and while that delay was happening, some other developments have come into play. Stay tuned!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1140 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 09:49:56 »
yes, the metal is all cut (save notchless plates, which i'm waiting to hear about with the PCBs) and about 25% has been painted. as jdcarpe said, the pcb has been subject to some recent, pretty cool developments that i'm waiting for some folks who are probably reading this post to help me announce :P. there has, in fact, been 10k put into this project along with many months of pushing on shops, prototyping and debugging. re: the 6 remaining indicated on the website. that is wrong. by my notchless plate count, a few plates have not been spoken for, but i'm going to go ahead and hold those back for now.

i do have some notched plates that i wasn't entirely happy with, but have decided that i will go ahead and distribute in an attempt to make things right.

that said, i can't erase the months of waiting. i can and am doing my best to get to the best possible outcome given what has happened to now.

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #1141 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 10:10:40 »

I'm willing to guinea pig burnt bronze if you still need one.
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline Greeeg

« Reply #1142 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 17:37:51 »
I can't remember what colours I picked for my first kit. (#1079) but for the second (#1193) was in this batch if I recall

i have 5 or 6 kits left. the next 6 kit orders will get no choice on colors (because you're going to get the cerakote experiments) but will get notched plates for free.

eta: basically, you're going to get a colored top plate of completely unknown, potentially multiple colors, and a gray bottom plate.

If you need to experiment with more plates I don't mind if you paint the bottom plate crazy colours too. Only if that will help.

I've been trying to keep up, but what colours are definite now?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1143 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 07:46:26 »
titan gray (painted, done), purple (painted, done), green (not painted yet), blue (not painted yet), and it looks like bronze is a lock with all the interest.

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #1144 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 18:57:13 »
No seafoam?
Tell Daddy.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1145 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 19:08:38 »

My boards:
More

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #1146 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:18:44 »
:-(
Tell Daddy.

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1147 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:27:41 »
titan gray (painted, done), purple (painted, done), green (not painted yet), blue (not painted yet), and it looks like bronze is a lock with all the interest.

Yea, bronze is pretty unique color to go with.

Offline V1ral

« Reply #1148 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 12:38:00 »
:-(

It's ok, I'm the other person that wanted seafoam.  *patpat*

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1149 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:44:44 »
i need to look at the seafoam numbers again and check the cerakote colors for a good seafoam. i've been focusing on only a couple colors at once to keep things manageable

note that we have something equivalent to a lot charge which is paint cost.