Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 383325 times)

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #950 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 22:22:17 »
fun fact! there is an atmega128/256 variant with a BLE on-chip. part number is atmega256rfr2. there is a ~30x30mm canned dev board with a chip amp available too. part number is:

http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-42191-Wireless-ZigBit-ATZB-S1-256-3-0-C_Datasheet.pdf

$36.90 on a dev board @ DigiKey. See if I can sneak one into the DigiKey order at work..

« Last Edit: Fri, 12 December 2014, 22:26:31 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #951 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 06:31:09 »
yep, and tiny too. just make sure you get the 2.4ghz dev model. there are two sub-2.4ghz models that you don't want.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tbc

« Reply #952 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 14:24:03 »
please keep up the bluetooth work :)

my tablet only has one port and i need it for charging, so this is important for me lol. :)
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #953 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 18:50:51 »
Glad to see this is still moving! Can't fricking wait!
Tell Daddy.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #954 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 12:56:17 »
What are the dimensions of the keyboard?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #955 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 08:28:46 »
about 4 x 10" x 3/4" thick

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #956 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 15:59:45 »
Thank you, sorry for that vague question, I was on mobile.

I'm going to make a ****ty wrist rest, that will not match out with the color scheme.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #957 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 16:50:45 »
i've broached the topic of a 40% rest with noko, actually.

anyway, i don't want to get anyone too excited, because i'm completely swamped into the foreseeable future but

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #958 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 16:53:00 »
i've broached the topic of a 40% rest with noko, actually.

anyway, i don't want to get anyone too excited, because i'm completely swamped into the foreseeable future but

Almost as sexy as my Beige Whale aka Moby Click.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #959 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:45:31 »
i'm hoping to get some people together for a packaging party this weekend. if you're a domestic customer who ordered raw titanium for both plates, please make sure your ship-to address is correct. i will be sending as many packages as possible first thing monday to try to get these to you by new years

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #960 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:46:25 »
How do they look in person!?!

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #961 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:47:30 »
So what color would I be getting instead of Titan Gray? I may just want a raw plate if it's just going to be the same color as the raw Ti.
GODLIKE SmallFry in progress.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #962 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:47:47 »
The plates with switch removal cutouts were produced as such, correct?  It's been awhile since that part of the GB went down, so I'm just verifying.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #963 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:52:27 »
My shipping address hasn't changed in a couple years so I should be ok.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #964 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:38:57 »
I am so conflicted!  :-\ Do I go raw, because they look great, or do I get coloured?

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #965 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 19:00:22 »
I am so conflicted!  :-\ Do I go raw, because they look great, or do I get coloured?

Colored.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #966 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 22:45:52 »
The plates with switch removal cutouts were produced as such, correct?  It's been awhile since that part of the GB went down, so I'm just verifying.
i can only get the standard square cutout plates out at the moment. the switch removal plates that were cut are being used to test the painting method and colors. another run will be produced after the new year.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #967 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 23:05:28 »
"titan gray" is just going to be a matte ceramic clearcoat. it will probably be MC-157FQ, unless rainbow has more of the 160FQ in stock (different viscosities of the same paint). type 2 anodization aka "titan gray" is a highly variable process. the color that danco advertises is basically a neutral matte gray. due to the rx involved, type 2 anodization requires a post-dip abrasive treatment, so the actual color can be pretty variable, but generally, the color is a dull gray and the finish after surface treatment is very matte. the easiest way to go about getting this is to do a pre-paint surface treatment then give it a very thin matte clear. this also helps keeps costs down, and there's no point covering raw titanium with a paint color called "titanium".

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #968 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 23:09:48 »
Looks like you've got that sorted! I can't wait to receive my plates.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #969 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 23:14:25 »
there's no point covering raw titanium with a paint color called "titanium".

Unless the coating being applied has abrasion, or friction properties that the substrate lacks.  But for this project that is way out of the realm of feasibility.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #971 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 07:48:06 »
mkawa please don't ship order number 1118 (I think,will have to check). I'm still deciding on my plate colors

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #973 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 17:24:57 »
mkawa please don't ship order number 1118 (I think,will have to check). I'm still deciding on my plate colors
k, noted.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #974 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 07:23:31 »
i've been cleaning the plates and then oiling them with light krytox to protect and deepen the finish and luster. results have been pretty good so far, and the cuts are _crazy clean_\

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr7owr20p20hxhd/2014-12-21%2006.16.00.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ksp5d8ldtoj5lg/2014-12-21%2006.15.25.jpg?dl=0

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #975 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 07:24:05 »
so that's what raw titan is going to look like

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #976 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 09:20:38 »
Holy **** do those ever look good! As someone whose handled his fair share of keyboard plates recently, those are absolutely amazing :eek:

Seeing those pics really makes me wish I had ordered some. Do the front and the back of the plates both look like that?

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #977 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 09:35:06 »
Getting pretty excited over here too!

I think the DEEP SPACE keycaps should be here in late February/early March, so I hope this project wraps up by then!

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #978 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 12:05:50 »
i can only get the standard square cutout plates out at the moment. the switch removal plates that were cut are being used to test the painting method and colors. another run will be produced after the new year.

So upgrade kits will be going out later?
if I've left my color blank, I'll get a clear coat right?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #979 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 19:45:10 »
Holy **** do those ever look good! As someone whose handled his fair share of keyboard plates recently, those are absolutely amazing :eek:

Seeing those pics really makes me wish I had ordered some. Do the front and the back of the plates both look like that?

no, for cost reasons, i only had one side of each sheet ground like that.

the only plates that will be getting a clearcoat are the TITAN GRAY color option. it won't be a glossy clearcoat though. it will be a matte clearcoat (to make it grayer). the raw titan oiled like in the above pictures will be the glossiest finish

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #980 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 19:48:35 »
upgrade kits will be going out later. in fact, after seeing these cuts and going back to the stuff i had done on my laser, i may have those WJ cut too, but i'm waiting until after the new year to kick off anymore production. people will hesitantly say that they can be around but when you're like "oh, don't worry about it until after the holidays" they're suddenly like "ok, great! i'll be gone until then. talk to you later!"

Offline Greeeg

« Reply #981 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 23:33:00 »
Those plates look great!

To vent some of my excitement, I opened up my box of spare caps.
84617-0

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #982 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 10:26:06 »

no, for cost reasons, i only had one side of each sheet ground like that.

the only plates that will be getting a clearcoat are the TITAN GRAY color option. it won't be a glossy clearcoat though. it will be a matte clearcoat (to make it grayer). the raw titan oiled like in the above pictures will be the glossiest finish

well those photos look awesome, do mine like that. :P

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #983 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 16:42:59 »
get your "raw titan" color choice in quick please! :)

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #984 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 16:43:35 »
Just double checking, do you have mine? I submitted it a while ago.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #985 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 16:45:36 »

I did :) Altho I also upgraded to a notched plate back in the days :/

Edit: oops, n/m. Wanted (and changed to) "Titan Grey", not "Raw"...
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 December 2014, 16:48:53 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #986 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 11:44:26 »

raw titan is glossy like in those pictures right? and titan grey is the more matte color?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #987 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 12:08:31 »

raw titan is glossy like in those pictures right? and titan grey is the more matte color?

yep!

and if you filled out the google form, even multiple times, i have your color choices.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #988 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 06:32:48 »
grumble grumble. i'm packing washing, oiling and packing up the raw titan plates now. USB connectors came in. working on the run of notched plates and with the coater on colors. the coater thinks some colors will need to be powders instead of cerakote in order to make all 12 colors. i trust her judgement on that, so we'll focus on getting the coating thin enough to not mess with the tolerances. there is separate value in working on how to use translucent powders on these plates for future product anyway, so the mix is not a bad idea. she is 100% on the matte clear as ceramic, and i've found some really really good greens, but the lighter colors like the light blues and bronze and gold will probably be powders.

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #989 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 06:34:11 »
Thanks for the updates! I'm sure the notched plates will be worth the wait! :smile:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #990 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 06:41:24 »
there is going to be some back and forth on those with the WJ cutter. we're going to have to radius the notches to hit anything near to a sane cost target and still keep tolerances acceptable. the cuts will have the same extremely clean qualities that the non-notched plates have though, and the difference in yield will make up a lot of cost differences. this also means that the super clean brushed finish that you see in the pictures of the non-notched plates will also apply to the notched plates. even with a noble gas laser cut, the heat of the laser is enough to cause some oxidation on the finer cuts.

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #991 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 08:37:41 »
grumble grumble. i'm packing washing, oiling and packing up the raw titan plates now. USB connectors came in. working on the run of notched plates and with the coater on colors. the coater thinks some colors will need to be powders instead of cerakote in order to make all 12 colors. i trust her judgement on that, so we'll focus on getting the coating thin enough to not mess with the tolerances. there is separate value in working on how to use translucent powders on these plates for future product anyway, so the mix is not a bad idea. she is 100% on the matte clear as ceramic, and i've found some really really good greens, but the lighter colors like the light blues and bronze and gold will probably be powders.

I know it might come off as a darker bronze than intended but what about Cerakote burnt bronze?  When I heard Cerakote was going to be the coloring choice I was kind of hoping that bronze users might get Burnt Bronze.  If it ends up being a cost thing I can understand that.

Will there be time for people to change color options after the decision has been made on which colors will be powder coated vs Cerakote?
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline tahuds

« Reply #992 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 11:17:44 »

Did the diodes ever come through or are we going to need to pick those up?
I have beerology feedback from sales on the arstechnica.com forum going back to 2007 at the link-  http://www.beerology.com/view.cfm?id=3848

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #993 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 06:29:39 »
I'm confused what the status is on these - there's a TO ORDER link in the OP that goes to a webshop with a live buy button, but not far down that page
Current order count: 74 ?!?!
Kits remaining: NONE !?!?

I'm still researching options, is this one or have I missed it?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #994 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 08:05:59 »
sorry, i haven't updated that in a while. if there's a buy button, then there are kits left

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #995 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 07:29:12 »
the painter and i have been going over costing and tolerances, and just as a warning, we may have to cut some colors. purple, greens, blues and titan gray are the safest right now. some of these colors might be collapsed though. there might also be a "trust the painter" or "omakase" option where you give tammi, rainbow's painting genius, authorization to treat your plate as a blank canvas :).

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #996 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 07:37:06 »
I was really afraid when I saw purple on that list, then I realized it was the safe list. Reading comprehension is hard.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #997 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 14:13:17 »
i'd like to put the gasket order in this week. quick show of hands: is there anyone who does not want a gasket?

Offline Yslen

« Reply #998 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 15:03:25 »
I don't want one, thanks :)

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #999 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 18:32:29 »
the painter and i have been going over costing and tolerances, and just as a warning, we may have to cut some colors. purple, greens, blues and titan gray are the safest right now. some of these colors might be collapsed though. there might also be a "trust the painter" or "omakase" option where you give tammi, rainbow's painting genius, authorization to treat your plate as a blank canvas :).

Please let us know if bronze is cut eventually, so that we have some time to change. ;)

Thanks for your work