Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 383391 times)

Offline tbc

Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #900 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 22:08:50 »
i know this is a weird question....but what does it feel like?

i plan on using the board mobilely around the house, which means that i'm going to more often than not have it place it on my lap and in my hands.  anodized metal is fine, but if it's rough like the paint on my walls, it's going to really irritate me.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #901 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 22:12:02 »
Cerakote feels almost like a Teflon coating. They use it to coat the slides of pistols (such as Glocks) quite often.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #902 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 06:40:33 »
and we are actually drawing from the gun coating catalog. the other catalog of paints is really high temperature (probably a lot more ceramic), and i've seen kind of a crinkle finish on the parts that rainbow has done with some of those. some seem smoother than others. there's also an insanely cool high temperature paint that you can use on the inside of exhaust piping to further insulate and to decrease drag inside the piping.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #903 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 07:08:07 »
oh, and i got the latest batch of samples from sorbothane. 80 duro is NOT STICKY! and it feels great and won't wander around or squish as much as the old ones did. GREAT SUCCESS!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #904 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 09:53:40 »
oh, and i got the latest batch of samples from sorbothane. 80 duro is NOT STICKY! and it feels great and won't wander around or squish as much as the old ones did. GREAT SUCCESS!
YEAHHHHHHHH! ;D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #905 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 10:23:59 »
I'm still confused.  Can you be more explicit about the color process?

I ordered Vector Purple / Aqua.  Will I get Vector Purple / Aqua, or something "close"?

Will you be collecting samples of the color options and then giving us some time to re-pick our colors if we're unsatisfied?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #906 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 12:14:58 »

I ordered Vector Purple / Aqua.  Will I get Vector Purple / Aqua, or something "close"?

Will you be collecting samples of the color options and then giving us some time to re-pick our colors if we're unsatisfied?

This is what I would like. Especially as we are going from 12 colours down to 6 right?

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #907 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 12:23:20 »

This is what I would like. Especially as we are going from 12 colours down to 6 right?
Yeah me too.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #908 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 18:37:15 »
ack! sorry, for some reason i thought danco offered only 6 colors. 12 is trickier, but if it's 12 it's 12. i probably won't be able to touch base with tammi until next week, and more importantly, i only have 6 samples for her to spray. let me do some digging when people get back into their shops next week. there may still be some significant droppings sitting around at the cutters that i can get to rainbow for swatches.

i'm completely playing it by ear right now, and i can't say much yet without talking to both shops. hoad on folks, we'll all converge shortly and if there is any significant input needed from you guys, i will get the word out. what i'm hoping to do is stay within current costing and color schemes while changing the process. if that's not possible, you will hear from me. at 6 colors, i was pretty sure it was. at 12, i have to dig.

just the paint costs for 12qts of cerakote is around 1200$, and then on top of that you have shop costs, which i only have quoted at 6 colors. if we don't actually have to buy 12 full qts, we'll be way ahead of the game, so stay tuned. the upshot here is that tammi is a painting and powdering genius and i 100% trust she'll fix my screw-ups for me. for example, the three blues may be just 1, 2 and 3 coats of a standard stock blue. since the coats are ridiculously thin and often don't need to be heated to cure, you have a heck of a lot more latitude than with powdering, and you don't have to solve a hundred simultaneous non-analytical equations to anodize to one of three blue colors (i still have no idea how danco can claim to anodize to that many colors.. and i probably never will, i guess).

on the upside, packing and shipping the plates is going to be a heck of a lot less than if they were powdered; cerakote is significantly more durable.

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #909 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 20:27:24 »
ack! sorry, for some reason i thought danco offered only 6 colors. 12 is trickier, but if it's 12 it's 12. i probably won't be able to touch base with tammi until next week, and more importantly, i only have 6 samples for her to spray. let me do some digging when people get back into their shops next week. there may still be some significant droppings sitting around at the cutters that i can get to rainbow for swatches.

i'm completely playing it by ear right now, and i can't say much yet without talking to both shops. hoad on folks, we'll all converge shortly and if there is any significant input needed from you guys, i will get the word out. what i'm hoping to do is stay within current costing and color schemes while changing the process. if that's not possible, you will hear from me. at 6 colors, i was pretty sure it was. at 12, i have to dig.

just the paint costs for 12qts of cerakote is around 1200$, and then on top of that you have shop costs, which i only have quoted at 6 colors. if we don't actually have to buy 12 full qts, we'll be way ahead of the game, so stay tuned. the upshot here is that tammi is a painting and powdering genius and i 100% trust she'll fix my screw-ups for me. for example, the three blues may be just 1, 2 and 3 coats of a standard stock blue. since the coats are ridiculously thin and often don't need to be heated to cure, you have a heck of a lot more latitude than with powdering, and you don't have to solve a hundred simultaneous non-analytical equations to anodize to one of three blue colors (i still have no idea how danco can claim to anodize to that many colors.. and i probably never will, i guess).

on the upside, packing and shipping the plates is going to be a heck of a lot less than if they were powdered; cerakote is significantly more durable.

Thanks for the update!

So until you get samples, we dont get to choose to change our color choice?

I picked raw but might change my mind if we have new/different color choices since its a different process.
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #910 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 20:33:08 »

I am also fairly confident that we could narrow down the list from 12 colours. For instance, have all 12 colours even been picked yet?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #911 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 21:35:27 »
definitely not. it's going to take a fairly long conversation with rainbow to determine which colors can be drawn from stock and which need to be orders, and the samples are not in iowa yet, so no color tests can be done yet. picking colors, repicking colors, and anything else of the sort is putting the cart before the horse.

as far as you guys are concerned, for now, there are 12 colors. icc numbers are specified. we are going to get as close to those colors as is feasible. because tammi's an awesome painter, i don't expect _anyone_ to be let down by the colors that come out of the process. the icc color space (well, no color space really..) can't take into account the really important bits of color and color perception. there are odd refractive and quantum things happening, particularly with a material like titanium, and with an epoxy ceramic composite on top of it, that are impossible to exactly characterize.

jacobulus is fully capable and happy to go into a three hour lecture on this topic. i am just going to shrug a bit and make sure everything that comes out looks great.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #912 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 07:40:46 »
i have 5 or 6 kits left. the next 6 kit orders will get no choice on colors (because you're going to get the cerakote experiments) but will get notched plates for free.

eta: basically, you're going to get a colored top plate of completely unknown, potentially multiple colors, and a gray bottom plate.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 December 2014, 07:42:25 by mkawa »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #913 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 09:52:34 »
i THINK raw plates will either make christmas or miss it by a week at most. colored plates are NOT going to make xmas.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #914 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 09:53:31 »
Uh oh. I may need to change my shipping address again lol
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #915 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 22:52:02 »
i THINK raw plates will either make christmas or miss it by a week at most. colored plates are NOT going to make xmas.

My order is for raw plates, but I'm curious to see how the cerakote options/samples turn out. So could I delay my order?
Home:
Work:

Offline IMHB

« Reply #916 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 22:42:52 »
soooo... do we have an estimate on how long the wait is going to be?

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #917 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 15:18:25 »

Reading is not your strong suit, I assume.
Home:
Work:

Offline tbc

« Reply #918 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 15:21:16 »

well mkawa only actually mentioned a lower bound for the colored plates.  maybe he's just looking for an upper bound.  3 months after xmas is different than 6 months.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #919 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 15:24:04 »

well mkawa only actually mentioned a lower bound for the colored plates.  maybe he's just looking for an upper bound.  3 months after xmas is different than 6 months.

Fair enough, I assumed the guy was asking for a general estimate since he didnt specify whether he was asking about raw plates or colored plates.
Home:
Work:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #920 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 16:14:35 »

My order is for raw plates, but I'm curious to see how the cerakote options/samples turn out. So could I delay my order?
yah, just select a color, any color, on the google form. you can change it before i get the colored plates all painted.

please don't tell people to RTFM :[, this is a long thread for a project with an unexpectedly very long lead time. it's ok for people to be asking for etas. heck, if hoffman hadn't spoken up, i'd still be speccing out for only 6 colors :eek:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #921 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 21:11:22 »
If you like my JD40 keyboard, around which this group buy is based, please vote for it in the Deskthority Awards. :)

http://deskthority.net/final-vote-f84/best-space-saving-or-compact-keyboard-2014-t9311.html
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #922 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 22:18:01 »
If you like my JD40 keyboard, around which this group buy is based, please vote for it in the Deskthority Awards. :)

http://deskthority.net/final-vote-f84/best-space-saving-or-compact-keyboard-2014-t9311.html

I voted for the JD40
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #923 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 22:19:15 »

I voted for you too JD!  :-*

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #924 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 01:15:05 »

yah, just select a color, any color, on the google form. you can change it before i get the colored plates all painted.

please don't tell people to RTFM :[, this is a long thread for a project with an unexpectedly very long lead time. it's ok for people to be asking for etas. heck, if hoffman hadn't spoken up, i'd still be speccing out for only 6 colors :eek:

Got it, will do.

And my bad lol, it just bothers me when people ask about stuff that was answered just a few posts up, but that wasnt the case here. So yea, I'll be more patient with impatience :P
Home:
Work:

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #925 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 20:47:01 »
Can we see the mockups for the cerakote before making final decisions on our plates?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #926 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 07:47:43 »

:thumb:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #927 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 07:47:54 »
Can we see the mockups for the cerakote before making final decisions on our plates?
yep

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #928 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 22:22:42 »
Well... i thought I ordered the green tea small fry kit from PMK... but apparently i didn't.  Any way to change the plate color still so I can get something to match those DEEP SPACE keycaps?

Any suggestions?

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #929 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 22:32:47 »
I re-submitted the form with DEEP BLUE for the DEEP SPACE keycaps...

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #930 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 07:32:10 »
yep, you can change your mind on colors as many times as you want until i announce a freeze (you will get plenty of warning). just keep resubmitting the form and i will delete your old preferences by hand

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #931 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 13:31:00 »
Hm, Zombie Green, S&W Red, Armor Black, Low Gloss Armor Clear, .. so many choices :) Need to find the link to the color order form..
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #932 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 13:36:33 »
Hm, Zombie Green, S&W Red, Armor Black, Low Gloss Armor Clear, .. so many choices :) Need to find the link to the color order form..

http://tinyurl.com/p64c2wy

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #933 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 13:49:37 »
Thx ! :)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #934 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 08:41:29 »
i can't even close to guarantee that you'll get the cerakote color you want, but if you start picking them out and they're very close to the danco colors, it will help the coater and i make informed choices on what cerakote paints to sub for the danco ICC colors.

anyway, the raw plates will be on their way to me either tomorrow or monday

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #935 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 08:44:04 »
as for the rest of the kit, i've been talking to bunnylake about coordinating PCBs and teensies and i will be placing the order for the gaskets after the new year when the folks at sorbothane are back

Offline geniekid

« Reply #936 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 09:19:28 »
Man, I wish I could send in my unrelated SS plate to get cerakote-ed.  This is really cool way to get painted parts without having to design for coating thickness! :thumb:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #937 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 17:42:06 »
PM me

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #938 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 07:02:23 »
raw plates are on their way to me now.

i will put up a form shortly to request a gasket. you can either get a gasket or a two-sided spacer stud. the combination of gasket _and_ spacer stud is kind of silly :P

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #939 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 07:13:27 »
I love it when a plan comes together!  How much would it cost to supply USB connectors for the group buy? 

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #940 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 07:43:39 »
we're running significantly over budget at the moment, so i'd prefer to wake until the dust settles to look at including additional parts.

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #941 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 07:44:23 »
If be willing to sponsor the connectors if it is less than $100

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #942 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 08:11:28 »
awesome! PM me. i need to grab the part number from JD, but i suspect i can cover the remainder if you'd like to donate. woohoo! thanks folks for being so awesome.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #943 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 12:20:17 »
awesome! PM me. i need to grab the part number from JD, but i suspect i can cover the remainder if you'd like to donate. woohoo! thanks folks for being so awesome.

I will cover another $50 if needed after the initial $100 from r3nfr0.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #944 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 14:47:41 »
holy bejeez! you guys have bombarded me with more than enough to pay for usb jacks. thanks so much everyone! i'll spec it out with JD and place the order. :)

Offline Greeeg

« Reply #945 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 18:34:40 »
My Bluetooth mod is coming together, (basically just a teensy sized board with a battery charger and bluetooth module)

I wouldn't mind having a second keyboard to play around with. You mention a fortnight ago you had 5/6 kits left. I assume since they're not out of stock on geekhackers there are some left, so I've placed an order.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #946 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 18:58:47 »
yep, just got it.

fun fact! there is an atmega128/256 variant with a BLE on-chip. part number is atmega256rfr2. there is a ~30x30mm canned dev board with a chip amp available too. part number is:

http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-42191-Wireless-ZigBit-ATZB-S1-256-3-0-C_Datasheet.pdf

with an appropriate firmware (TMK with code that implements BT4.0) this would subsume the teensy entirely.

i'm also pretty intrigued by the chip that the pebblebee uses: the csr101x series

http://www.csr.com/products/csr101x-product-family

these are single chip BLE + MCU + RF ant SoCs with a proprietary 16-bit risc MCU that uses the completely unknown to me XAP ISA. it's slow but incredibly power efficient and runs at < 3v and have power reg circuitry onboard. the newest revisions also have direct support for li-poly cells as current sources, which they then reg into voltage sources. this is basically how you have to use li-polys, because their voltages are highly variable, especially in prismatic packaging. the chip comes in packages as small as 4x4mm 32pin qfp

Offline Greeeg

« Reply #947 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 19:31:01 »
yep, just got it.

fun fact! there is an atmega128/256 variant with a BLE on-chip. part number is atmega256rfr2. there is a ~30x30mm canned dev board with a chip amp available too. part number is:

http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-42191-Wireless-ZigBit-ATZB-S1-256-3-0-C_Datasheet.pdf

with an appropriate firmware (TMK with code that implements BT4.0) this would subsume the teensy entirely.

i'm also pretty intrigued by the chip that the pebblebee uses: the csr101x series

http://www.csr.com/products/csr101x-product-family

these are single chip BLE + MCU + RF ant SoCs with a proprietary 16-bit risc MCU that uses the completely unknown to me XAP ISA. it's slow but incredibly power efficient and runs at < 3v and have power reg circuitry onboard. the newest revisions also have direct support for li-poly cells as current sources, which they then reg into voltage sources. this is basically how you have to use li-polys, because their voltages are highly variable, especially in prismatic packaging. the chip comes in packages as small as 4x4mm 32pin qfp

Interesting, Some of the new SoC's are quite amazing parts.

My current design is using a TI CC2542 BLE 4.0 + 8051 MCU.
Mainly because the abundance of low cost breakout boards.

The device has enough I/O pins that I am hoping that I can just use the single chip. But I'm waiting for the keyboards to fully test it out.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #948 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 19:51:37 »
i saw the TI part when i was poking around looking for the pebblebee soc. i'm actually still looking for the soc they're using in the gimbal. i suspect it's a custom qcom white label die, but the TI part looks suspiciously close to what their requirements might be, but probably a custom run without a lot of the FUs.

i'm definitely interested to know if you can hack up a matrix scan plus HID device for the 8051 in a reasonable amount of time. luckily, there's enough room for both the atmega and a bluetooth module. the only thing i can think of otherwise is that both the PU and titanium are going to block RF like crazy. you're going to want to run your antenna around the edge of the keyboard or something.

oh, the other thing is that there's a ton of room in there for a AAA battery pack, and definitely a huge amount of room for a prismatic lithium cell. you can heatsink the cell on the bottom plate as well, so woop woop!
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 December 2014, 19:53:10 by mkawa »

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #949 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 21:09:01 »
My Bluetooth mod is coming together, (basically just a teensy sized board with a battery charger and bluetooth module)

I wouldn't mind having a second keyboard to play around with. You mention a fortnight ago you had 5/6 kits left. I assume since they're not out of stock on geekhackers there are some left, so I've placed an order.

I'm definitely interested in the outcome of this. I'm looking to do something similar and only had slasher's HHKB + Teensy + bluetooth stuff to go off of.
Planck w/ Zealios