Author Topic: [GB] 1976 - Flashback to the Colors of the 70's (SA Row 3) --- Shipped  (Read 193658 times)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] 1976 - Flashback to the Colors of the 70's (SA Row 3)
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 08:44:42 »
May be best to get a poll going for ErgoDox owners to see which option (symmetrical or Brown right hand side) will get more orders and put the legends on the more popular one as a kit like the Ergodoxian from Granite, maybe drop the less popular option altogether?

I think it's be easiest to just support the symmetrical design and go cyan with legends on all the horizontal 1.5x, brown with legends on all the vertical keys, TBH.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Data

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 13:26:52 »
May be best to get a poll going for ErgoDox owners to see which option (symmetrical or Brown right hand side) will get more orders and put the legends on the more popular one as a kit like the Ergodoxian from Granite, maybe drop the less popular option altogether?

I think it's be easiest to just support the symmetrical design and go cyan with legends on all the horizontal 1.5x, brown with legends on all the vertical keys, TBH.

If we did this version:

Then these would be my kit mods:

BLUE
1.5u:
Escape
Tab
Caps
Shift (x2)
Backspace
Backslash
Enter

RED
1u:
Ctrl (x2)

ORANGE
1u:
Arrow
Close Bracket

YELLOW
1u:
Arrow
Tilde/Accent
Quotes
Open Bracket

BROWN
1u:
Win
Menu/Fn
Layer Mod (x2)
Insert
Delete
Print Screen
Pause
Arrow (x2)
Minus
Equals

1.5u:
Home
End
Page Up
Page Down

2u:
Space
Alt
Enter

---

If you did legends for Ergodox you'd probably want to stick to the 1.5u and 2u keys in blue and brown.  That means you've got to decide between having legends and continuing the color scheme on the 1u caps.

That gradient just makes it really hard to do an affordable Ergodox kit.  There are too many layout options.

Offline skipped

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 15:24:42 »
I think you should offer kits for the 1.5u blue (assuming the symmetrical layout is chosen, mostly for flexibility of legends) and the brown keys, and then offer colored blanks for the bottom row of each hand.

Depending on the organization of the other sets, if there was a brown Tenkeys set then that could be suggested as an option for the 1x on the thumb clusters (as well as the three browns on the bottom of each hand) only leaving four blank colored keys on each hand.

Maybe include an option for colored 1 keys is the 1976 logo (one of each color would be cool) that people could use for OS keys or Esc keys

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 18:36:15 »
Ergodox mods should really be blanks. Considering how many people use different layouts, I think it's a bit of a waste to produce legended keys.

Maybe relegendables would be a better option?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline engicoder

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 22:32:54 »
Right now I am leaning towards eliminating the brown right hand set and offering an ErgoDox base set that includes both hands of the symmetric layout including the appropriate set of colored blanks. In addition, offer a separate set of legended caps with whatever "common" usages I can put together from the suggestions and available examples. This way, the fate of the set with legends is determined by buyers.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 December 2014, 23:12:10 by engicoder »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 09:23:37 »
Right now I am leaning towards eliminating the brown right hand set and offering an ErgoDox base set that includes both hands of the symmetric layout including the appropriate set of colored blanks. In addition, offer a separate set of legended caps with whatever "common" usages I can put together from the suggestions and available examples. This way, the fate of the set with legends is determined by buyers.

In order to get as many orders as you can for ergodox.  I would recommend you only offer one ergodox set and you only offer blank mods...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 15:03:49 »

In order to get as many orders as you can for ergodox.  I would recommend you only offer one ergodox set and you only offer blank mods...

++
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 15:07:46 »

I must admit that this set looks the best with the dox.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 15:44:04 »
issue with full blank is that some people can't touch type

i like the idea of relegendable mods though

Offline engicoder

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 17:53:30 »

That's what I was trying to say. The legend kit would only be mods., i.e. would be purchased in addition to the base ErgoDox kit. This wouldn't impact the sale numbers of the base set, but would offer a legended kit for those who want it....should it tip.

Offline skipped

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 18:18:13 »

That's what I was trying to say. The legend kit would only be mods., i.e. would be purchased in addition to the base ErgoDox kit. This wouldn't impact the sale numbers of the base set, but would offer a legended kit for those who want it....should it tip.

Tipping an ergodox set at 25 is hard enough, the MOQ for mods with legends would have to be REALLY low which would mean a pretty high cost

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 19:15:34 »
I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, other than I saw a bunch of coats/jackets at Burlington the other day that had this exact color scheme; I think they were from Calvin Klein.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 19:29:32 »
What if neither gradient tips?

I think we should have the basic one come with the base set, then either drop the other one or leave it as it's own kit.

Offline Data

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 10:40:13 »
What if neither gradient tips?

I think we should have the basic one come with the base set, then either drop the other one or leave it as it's own kit.

This lowers the cost for you and raises it substantially for me since I want a slightly shifted gradient.  Then I'm forced to buy 2 gradient kits, one of which I'll never use.  That's not exactly fair.  The set basically requires a gradient kit, so the possibility of neither kit tipping is incredibly low and if that's somehow the case, indicates that the entire set is in danger of not tipping.

But I'm pretty sure there's enough interest to avoid that.

Offline longcat

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 11:52:17 »
Man I want almost all the add on sets this one has, and SA Row 3 rocks! Can't wait!

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 20:51:21 »
These will look really good, can't wait!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #166 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 22:07:37 »
I haven't followed the development of this set too close, but I love where it's gone.  SA row 3, I'm totally in.  This is gonna be another big one for me.  :|

Offline FingerPunch

• on the rocks
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 12:03:08 »
This is a shot in the dark, but I have a request/suggestion.

I find the homing keys with SA very disorienting because I've used home keys with bumps for so long, everything else about the profile I like. Perhaps the home keys on this set could have a matte face?

I really doubt this will be universally accepted, but I would personally find it very useful.

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 16:52:12 »
This looks really nice! Haven't got a SA keyset yet, and i'd totally be up for this.
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:10:51 »
I've been looking for an SA set to buy, and I think this is a promising one.  I would buy.

I assume this will be a Cherry set? No love for my Alps.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 06:21:34 »

I find the homing keys with SA very disorienting because I've used home keys with bumps for so long, everything else about the profile I like. Perhaps the home keys on this set could have a matte face?

I really doubt this will be universally accepted, but I would personally find it very useful.

This is an interesting idea. I've been using SA with deep dished home buttons and "normal" home buttons (normal top like all the other keys) and I have not found the deep dish to really stand out enough when touch-typing, they feel very similar to the "normal" ones, especially when typing fast. The little homing nubs on DCS is much more noticable and tactile for me. You may be onto something with trying a matte surface. :D

The red key on the right is matte SA (from the Commando GB):

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 December 2014, 06:25:42 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 08:02:17 »
I've been looking for an SA set to buy, and I think this is a promising one.  I would buy.

I assume this will be a Cherry set? No love for my Alps.

Assumption correct. This set will be MX.

There is an IC for a black SoWaRe ALPS set on PMK, though. Go cast your vote so that it happens.

This is an interesting idea. I've been using SA with deep dished home buttons and "normal" home buttons (normal top like all the other keys) and I have not found the deep dish to really stand out enough when touch-typing, they feel very similar to the "normal" ones, especially when typing fast. The little homing nubs on DCS is much more noticable and tactile for me. You may be onto something with trying a matte surface. :D

The red key on the right is matte SA (from the Commando GB):
Show Image

And that's why I don't like deep dish.

I do like the matte idea, however. It might look a little strange. Maybe include both if it's not too expensive?

Offline engicoder

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 08:51:41 »

And that's why I don't like deep dish.

I do like the matte idea, however. It might look a little strange. Maybe include both if it's not too expensive?

I agree that the matte homing keys sound like a good one.
Should we offer the matte homing keys
  • as part of their parent/base sets such that each set would include a deep dish and matte version of each associated homing key
  • in separate sets, such that the parent/base sets would have no homing keys. There would be an optional set with deep dish homing keys and an optional set with matte homing keys
  • as an optional set that would include matte homing keys for qwerty, dvorak and colemak. The deep dish homing keys would be ekpt as part of the base sets.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 15:52:47 »
I like option 3 the most.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 16:20:20 »
I think an optional set would be ideal

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 00:08:51 »
I would propose a 4th option.

4. The base set comes with normal, deep dish & matte homing keys.  Offer an optional set which includes both deep dish and matte homing keys for dvorak and coleman.

This way for almost no cost more people can figure out for themselves if they prefer deep dish or matte homing keys.  This will probably help future buys because more people will know what they prefer.  Also, only a subset of people will want the alternate layout homing keys, so don't force people to buy that set if they only want the matte homing keys for the base set. 

Thats my $0.02 anyway...

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 01:40:52 »

4. The base set comes with normal, deep dish & matte homing keys.  Offer an optional set which includes both deep dish and matte homing keys for dvorak and coleman.

This way for almost no cost more people can figure out for themselves if they prefer deep dish or matte homing keys.  This will probably help future buys because more people will know what they prefer.  Also, only a subset of people will want the alternate layout homing keys, so don't force people to buy that set if they only want the matte homing keys for the base set. 

Thats my $0.02 anyway...

Couldn't agree more with this. Especially the second paragraph, matte homing keys sound like a really good idea for SA.  :thumb:
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Granite | Skull Squadron | Deep Space | Raindrop R2 | Hyperfuse GMK (soon...)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 03:22:33 »

Thats my $0.02 anyway...

I like this idea, but I propose that the deep dish and matte homing keys get added to the base Dvorak and Colemak sets, too. Seems silly to have to add extra kits just for the homing keys when adding a Dvorak kit, for instance. Shouldn't raise the price of the kits too much, either, and promote Dvorak and Colemak orders due to alleviating concern over the homing keys kit tipping.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 December 2014, 03:26:14 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 19:33:10 »

Thats my $0.02 anyway...

I like this idea, but I propose that the deep dish and matte homing keys get added to the base Dvorak and Colemak sets, too. Seems silly to have to add extra kits just for the homing keys when adding a Dvorak kit, for instance. Shouldn't raise the price of the kits too much, either, and promote Dvorak and Colemak orders due to alleviating concern over the homing keys kit tipping.
Yes I agree. I did not actually check to see what all the recent options are.  I agree that they should go in the Dvorak and Colman sets.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 20:35:12 »

Thats my $0.02 anyway...

++

this is a much better idea

Offline FingerPunch

• on the rocks
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 11:50:46 »
I didn't realize until today... Signature Platics has a row 3 home key mold with a bump (see http://www.keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/SAFamily.pdf), deep dish is just an option. This seems preferable to a matte key, and would probably be more universally accepted, and reduce the number of options we'd need to offer.

I did a brief search and couldn't find an example picture of a bump SA home key, if someone has one, please share.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 16:09:30 »
had a look at the OP just now.  love the way you broke down the kits.  this is going to be awesome...  GJ...

Offline Jason_IRL

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 16:21:27 »
Oh my. So interested in this.

Offline dimmu

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:27:46 »
this needs to happen!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:04:32 »
Just noticed this 1976 colour-way using God's Profile - SA, way cool bro  :thumb: .

Definitely will buy into this when you finally run it on PMK's website, lets hope it's soon.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:55:24 »
I didn't realize until today... Signature Platics has a row 3 home key mold with a bump (see http://www.keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/SAFamily.pdf), deep dish is just an option. This seems preferable to a matte key, and would probably be more universally accepted, and reduce the number of options we'd need to offer.

I did a brief search and couldn't find an example picture of a bump SA home key, if someone has one, please share.

Very interesting. I think most would like to see what they mean by "bump" before forgoing the matte option. Hopefully someone has an example. If not, I will see if SP can come up with something.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:58:16 by engicoder »

Offline engicoder

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:57:43 »
had a look at the OP just now.  love the way you broke down the kits.  this is going to be awesome...  GJ...

I've actually been working on making a few adjustments based on the feedback...I am also making sure the colors of the keycap faces better reflect the actual SP ABS colors.  I am almost done. I will post when the new update has been posted.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #187 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 03:11:34 »

Very interesting. I think most would like to see what they mean by "bump" before forgoing the matte option. Hopefully someone has an example. If not, I will see if SP can come up with something.

I believe the SA homing bump is a small central dot as seen in this image from the Commando set GB:

Not sure how others feel about this, but I for one would like to have these homing keys. The little bump is subtle, but easier for me to feel than the deep dish when typing fast. I have actually become quite used to using my Penumbra set without any special homing keys, but I would prefer to have the ones with bumps.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Data

« Reply #188 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 08:07:09 »
Deep dish/bump makes no difference to me.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 21:16:45 »
I prefer bump massively.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 21:54:16 »
You may add the following keys for the people that use control instead of caps lock and back space instead of the |\ key:

Blue 1.75u control
Brown 1.5u back space

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 22:06:36 »
I am 100% in for this set.  Love the concept, the colors, and the gradient thing.  No strong opinions on bump vs. deepdish.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 06:25:06 »
I promised myself no more caps for a while, but I'm in on this one because it's gorgeous. My preference is bump over deep dish but I'm signing up either way.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 15:58:05 »
Just updated the image sets in the OP to reflect all the suggestions so far. Take a look and see if there are any glaring mistakes. If it looks good. I will put it up on PMK for IC and go from there.

Thanks for everyone's help in making this set complete.

EDIT: The homing keys will be provided as regular, deep dish and bump.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 December 2014, 16:47:33 by engicoder »

Offline engicoder

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 16:05:00 »
You may add the following keys for the people that use control instead of caps lock and back space instead of the |\ key:

Blue 1.75u control
Brown 1.5u back space

There is a 1.75u control in the base kit.
I will see about adding the backspace to the Specialty Kit.

Offline Data

« Reply #195 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 16:10:23 »
Just updated the image sets in the OP. To reflect my attempt to add all the suggestions so far. Take a look and see if there are any glaring mistakes. If it looks good. I will put it up on PMK for IC and go from there.

Thanks for everyone's help in making this set complete.

EDIT: The homing keys will be provided as regular, deep dish and bump.

Nice job man.

You identified "G" as the homing key in the Alternate Gradient kit.  :)

Offline engicoder

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 16:18:40 »
Nice job man.

You identified "G" as the homing key in the Alternate Gradient kit.  :)

Son of a.... :-[

It never happened  ;D

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 17:09:37 »
The legends of the arrow keys in your base set is messed up.  :)

Also, what is with the extra random colored Y and Z keys in the gradient sets?  I am not sure I understand them...

Offline engicoder

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 17:40:18 »
The legends of the arrow keys in your base set is messed up.  :)

Whoops! Thanks.

Also, what is with the extra random colored Y and Z keys in the gradient sets?  I am not sure I understand them...

QWERTZ German and Easter Europe

Offline engicoder

« Reply #199 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 00:33:48 »
Is there interest in having symbolic arrow keys for the navigation cluster?
i.e.

If so, would you prefer:
  • to replace the text navigation cluster (i.e. "UP,DOWN,RIGHT, LEFT")
  • included in addition to the text direction keys as part the base kit
  • as an optional add-on kit

Other colors?

« Last Edit: Sat, 20 December 2014, 00:37:38 by engicoder »