Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 397921 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #450 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:15:01 »
I'm 'bout to set this thread on fire!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #451 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:15:58 »
The more the merrier Mr. Moosie! Drink em if they're cold!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #452 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:16:16 »
My beer is 1/2 drunk and sitting on a shelf across the room. I am stuck under a sleeping baby who is determined to wake up. It's a real problem.

This is a problem now, but just think!  In a few years that sleeping baby will be able to retrieve you beers when you run out.  This is a long term investment, swill.  Don't give up now!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #453 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:19:22 »
My beer is 1/2 drunk and sitting on a shelf across the room. I am stuck under a sleeping baby who is determined to wake up. It's a real problem.

haha, yes, that is a real problem you have there. Where is the wife?!?!

Sleeping (hopefully). He kept her up a lot last night so she is off duty. :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #454 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:22:49 »
Tried a couple new ones to me tonight.
First up, Stone Burning Rosids - I at first did NOT like it. The initial impression I got was a strong 'artificial' alcohol taste like adding Everclear to a premature cider. I decided to let it breathe for a little and gave another taste. At that time it had 'mellowed' a bit and the smoked cherry wood came out, and it was a much smoother flavor. It still had a bit of that 'too much' alcohol taste to it that can be a problem with some over 8% beers. After letting it sit even longer it was OK, but I will probably not buy it again.
Next, I tried some New Belgium WildČ dubbel schisandra. It was quite nice, with a spicy clove and cinnamon and subtle fruitiness. Very smooth and easy drinking. I would definitely recommend it to fans of 'Belgian style' ales as it is at the same time true to style but with it's own flair instead of the more traditional coriander hints.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #455 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:22:57 »

This is a problem now, but just think!  In a few years that sleeping baby will be able to retrieve you beers when you run out.  This is a long term investment, swill.  Don't give up now!

Haha. Ya, exactly. "Whiskey on the rocks, please son".

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #456 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:24:32 »

Haha. Ya, exactly. "Whiskey on the rocks, please son".

One of my friends used to make his dad Bloody Marys every Saturday.  :D  It's fair game, I assure you.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #457 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:26:20 »
Next, I tried some New Belgium WildČ dubbel schisandra.

that sounds real good.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #458 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:32:00 »
Next, I tried some New Belgium WildČ dubbel schisandra.

that sounds real good.

Ya. Now you got me wanting my beer even more. :) That sounds like a great beer.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #459 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 23:30:39 »
Maui Brewing Coconut Porter. Ultra malty and super smooth with notes of coffee, toasted coconut, and chocolate. A dark brew, but much lighter in feel than most other porters which makes this a  very drinkable and approachable, yet complex beer.  :thumb:

59980-0

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #460 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 21:46:35 »
Some beer.

It's tasty.

Offline n0rdlad

« Reply #461 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 02:12:51 »
Gotta love all the new craft beers. Just getting better & better..
- Filco MJ2 104 MX Brown -

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #462 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 05:55:03 »
Some beer.

Show Image

It's tasty.

Drinking weizen out of the bottle is probably the worst thing you could do to it.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #463 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 10:36:56 »
Some beer.

Show Image

It's tasty.

Drinking weizen out of the bottle is probably the worst thing you could do to it.

This may be true, but I hope you can forgive me.  :)  I'll be sure to post a picture with a glass next time. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #464 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 11:10:16 »
Maui Brewing Coconut Porter. Ultra malty and super smooth with notes of coffee, toasted coconut, and chocolate. A dark brew, but much lighter in feel than most other porters which makes this a  very drinkable and approachable, yet complex beer.  :thumb:

(Attachment Link)

Where did you get it?

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #465 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 11:23:31 »
Some beer.

Show Image

It's tasty.

This may be true, but I hope you can forgive me.  :)  I'll be sure to post a picture with a glass next time.

All is well as it has inspired me to have some Franziskaner tonight  ;)
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #466 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 17:09:46 »
God I want to bathe in this stuff.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #467 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 18:32:41 »

(Attachment Link)

Where did you get it?

From my local QFC in WA. I haven't seen it at the other store near me, so maybe someone requested it or something.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #468 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 18:35:46 »
Where did you get it?
From my local QFC in WA. I haven't seen it at the other store near me, so maybe someone requested it or something.

Maui seems to have pretty solid distribution, at least on the west coast.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #469 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 10:32:41 »
i had two Stone Pale Ales last night and i felt it this morning.  those stone beers should really count as two. so much alcohol in them.  its awesome.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #470 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 13:01:22 »
i had two Stone Pale Ales last night and i felt it this morning.  those stone beers should really count as two. so much alcohol in them.  its awesome.

I've been digging this one:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/111969/

Less than 5%

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #471 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 16:27:04 »

I've been digging this one:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/111969/

Less than 5%

that looks good i will check that out for sure.  i laughed my ass off with this review of that beer on the link you just posted:

"Served in a shaker pint. Pours a dull orange-gold with a slight haze to the clarity and a fluffy, half-inch, bright white head. Nose reveals cat pee; I'm guessing Simcoe. There's also a hint of citrus and an earthiness once you get past the urine smell. Taste is a bit biscuity, followed by some citrus - cat pee is not as present in the flavor profile. "

lol - cat pee

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #472 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 14:55:55 »
that looks good i will check that out for sure.  i laughed my ass off with this review of that beer on the link you just posted:

"Served in a shaker pint. Pours a dull orange-gold with a slight haze to the clarity and a fluffy, half-inch, bright white head. Nose reveals cat pee; I'm guessing Simcoe. There's also a hint of citrus and an earthiness once you get past the urine smell. Taste is a bit biscuity, followed by some citrus - cat pee is not as present in the flavor profile. "

lol - cat pee

Citra (not Simcoe) has a reputation for it's cat piss notes  :))

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #473 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 00:26:12 »

Delicious, especially for the money, though it doesn't really hold a candle to Cantillon or 3Fonteinen.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/47/153/

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #474 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 00:40:03 »
Show Image

Delicious, especially for the money, though it doesn't really hold a candle to Cantillon or 3Fonteinen.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/47/153/

That's a fun website to peruse.  I'm drinking this one right now.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18680/61471/

On a binary scale of "I would drink more" to "I would not drink more" I give it an "I would drink more".

Offline zippox

« Reply #475 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 09:26:13 »
I'm an all-grain homebrewer - here is a saison I made.

63053-0

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #476 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 10:33:39 »

(Attachment Link)

Looks good, any recipe info to share? Also do you bottle or keg?

I've been home brewing since October and just did my first all grain in a mash tun last week, a simple hefeweisen 5 pounds of wheat and 4 pounds of pilsner with 3638 (going for the apple vanilla flavors I've read this strain gives). Kept temps to 55-65 degrees so I'm hoping not to get much banana. Also trying to decide if I should just keep it simple or add something in secondary fermentation.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline zippox

« Reply #477 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 10:45:06 »

(Attachment Link)

Looks good, any recipe info to share? Also do you bottle or keg?

I've been home brewing since October and just did my first all grain in a mash tun last week, a simple hefeweisen 5 pounds of wheat and 4 pounds of pilsner with 3638 (going for the apple vanilla flavors I've read this strain gives). Kept temps to 55-65 degrees so I'm hoping not to get much banana. Also trying to decide if I should just keep it simple or add something in secondary fermentation.

I followed the Cottage-House Saison recipe here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/cottage-house-saison-254684/

My variations were no pepper, half the amount of honey and started fermentation at 74* then bumped it up each day, reaching 84* and held it there for 2.5 weeks. I know it sounds odd but for a saison they can benefit from high temperatures. I won't make this recipe again as the hops weren't my favorite and I didn't get the "funkyness" out of the yeast like I was hoping. So I would use a different yeast that is known for its funkyness - so WLP566 or 3724.

I made 10 gallons of it (and have about 5 gallons left) so I'd probably seek a lighter colored recipe to make for next spring.

It sounds like your hefe will turn out great. What sort of mash schedule/temps did you use? Is this a recipe of your own? When I made a hefe a couple years ago I held it right at 70 the entire time and got a little bit of clove character from it and no banana (which surprised me) but it was fantastic - tasted nearly identical to Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis. The yeast I used was a dry yeast - I can see if I can find out which one.

Offline zippox

« Reply #478 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 12:46:59 »
Also do you bottle or keg?

I bottle, how about yourself? Ideally I would keg but just don't have the funds or converted fridge/freezer to do that yet. This particular saison I made didn't have any fining agents, and coupled with the fact that I bottle condition means it's quite cloudy/has sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I thought that it would be to style and am happy I went that route for this one. I assume your hefe does not have any irish moss added for clarity?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #479 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 12:49:31 »
Have you done anything with brett, particularly other saison styles? Crooked Stave and Logsdon are two of my favorites who brew American version of the style.

Offline zippox

« Reply #480 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 13:17:31 »
Have you done anything with brett, particularly other saison styles? Crooked Stave and Logsdon are two of my favorites who brew American version of the style.

I have 10 gallons of a lambic that is about 13 months old that is about ready to bottle. So that has the wyeast lambic blend with the dregs (live yeast from bottom of the bottle) from Lindeman's Cuvee Rene (gueze). I may add cherries or raspberries to 5 of the gallons but I am not sure yet.

I would love to make an all-brett beer, especially with a saison like you mentioned. That tarness and funky flavor from brett would go perfectly with a saison. Have you tried using brett?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #481 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 13:25:11 »
I bottle also because going to kegging is cost prohibitive.

I sort of created this recipe from reading several other various wheat beer recipes. Also I forgot to say I just used Hallertau hops, one addition of 1oz at 60 minutes of a 90 minute total boil. I was at first going to do a triple decoction, but was advised to do a single decoction for a hefe. I did an early rest around 110-114 F for the acids that promote good hefe flavors, then brought it up via decoction to around 130 when aiming for 133. I had to pull more wort off to get up to 133 for a rest, and then pulled another portion of the wort to a boil to add and get to around 152 where I held for a final 30-45 minutes (sort of like a second decoction, just wort only though, no grain). Since it was my first time using the mash tun I think it ended up taking me 3+ hours total to mash. Next batch I think will be much more efficient since I won't be doing various rests or a decoction. I'll just get my strike temp and mash in then let it sit per what ever the recipe calls for. I didn't use any fining agents or anything, aiming for a super cloudy simple hefe. I might take around 2 gallons of it and add some orange zest with a little coriander.

I'm really looking forward to doing a Zombie Dust IPA clone with half a pound of citra hops, and I have a strain from The Yeast Bay that is a blend of saison and brett that I'm really looking forward to making something with.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #482 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 13:00:18 »
saison and sour beers are gross. really ready for this new trend to be over.

GABF was just filled with them the last two years. sucks.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #483 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 13:12:50 »

You're gross. But sour and spontaneously fermented beers have been around for quite a while, the resurgence is a rediscovery.

The new Berkeley all sour brewery The Rare Barrel won gold and bronze, and guess who has bottles ;D

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #484 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 10:28:45 »

You're gross. But sour and spontaneously fermented beers have been around for quite a while, the resurgence is a rediscovery.

The new Berkeley all sour brewery The Rare Barrel won gold and bronze, and guess who has bottles ;D

Want anything from the East coast? I can write down a list of what I can potentially buy for a bottle share. I REALLY want some Maui Brewery stuff, been jonesing for some since I left the Island last June.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #485 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 10:36:13 »
Want anything from the East coast? I can write down a list of what I can potentially buy for a bottle share. I REALLY want some Maui Brewery stuff, been jonesing for some since I left the Island last June.

Best I can find locally is the coconut porter, they don't seem to get much distribution otherwise.

I'm always looking for Cigar City, The Alchemist, Six Points, etc

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #486 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 12:37:07 »

Best I can find locally is the coconut porter, they don't seem to get much distribution otherwise.

I'm always looking for Cigar City, The Alchemist, Six Points, etc

I know I can get plenty of Cigar City and Six Points, not sure about The Alchemist, I'll look into it. Are you able to get Three Floyds, Prairie, Jester King, or anything else that might be interesting and unavailable on the east coast?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #487 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 12:41:35 »
I can get Prairie and some Jester King, no Three Floyds out this far, at least not yet.

I can get all the Bay Area stuff (Russian River, etc), LA/ SD (Lost Abbey/ Port, etc) and some Oregon things as well as Crooked Stave. We have pretty okay distro here.

Offline iri

« Reply #488 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 13:47:16 »
americans talking about lambic, hilarious.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #489 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:17:23 »
Because a true Lambic style can only be made in Brussels or because we're undeserving of things not overly hopped?   ::)

Offline zippox

« Reply #490 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:58:59 »
americans talking about lambic, hilarious.

Well we do what we can with what we have. We don't live in Belgium and can't get the natural yeast but doggone it we will do our best!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #491 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 20:46:29 »
Bout to drink 100oz of malt liquor. VIVA LA FRIDAY!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #492 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 20:47:22 »

Edward ...50...(?) Hands??

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #493 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 20:50:35 »

Had to Google that. Looks like fun, but the can lids will cut my fingies :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #494 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 20:57:51 »

Had to Google that. Looks like fun, but the can lids will cut my fingies :)

Have you not heard of Edward 40 Hands?  Huh.  I thought that was a pretty common thing.   :)

I'm not sure what you're drinking out of, but if you do it with 40s they would be glass bottles so no risk of cuts.  You'll just have a fun time peeing if you need to relieve yourself before you've finished the bottles.  ;)

Offline iri

« Reply #495 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 05:04:43 »
Because a true Lambic style can only be made in Brussels
not only in brussels, but also in several other locations in flemish brabant :p though some people from the city will definitely agree with you :)
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #496 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:29:32 »

An old favorite! bottled last week.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #497 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:38:20 »
Toured this brewery over the weekend, had to grab a growler to add to my collection.  This is some good brew.

It's called MainStage.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #498 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 00:32:34 »
My recent favorite is from a local Brewery called The Swamp Head. They brew a sick oatmeal stout that has espresso and dark chocolate/cocoa flavor called Midnight Oil. So good.

Right now tho? Pleb beer.

Took that last picture and I had an idea that I could not pass up... it's rushed so not the highest quality but still works :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 06 May 2014, 00:43:11 by VesperSAINT »

Offline zippox

« Reply #499 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 15:10:16 »
Toured this brewery over the weekend, had to grab a growler to add to my collection.  This is some good brew.

It's called MainStage.
Show Image

My wife and I have a pair of tickets to tour there / get free beer. Luckily she doesn't drink beer so I get to drink for two. Well plus she's pregnant so I should probably drink for three... It only seems right.