Author Topic: My next Topre board...?  (Read 2257 times)

Offline macguy80

My next Topre board...?
« on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 15:20:10 »
Should it be the HHKB Type-S, or the HiPro? I really love those spherical keycaps. Eventually, both, but... ;)

Offline Tactile

Re: My next Topre board...?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 16:00:35 »
I vote for the HiPro. It's by far the most distinctive Topre switch board made by anyone. Even the switch housings are different, in order to accommodate the taller caps. And a full sized uniform 45 gram Topre, also.
REΛLFORCE

Offline macguy80

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 16:05:54 »
Thanks! The sound intrigues me too... it's got a bit of "clack" mixed in with the thock, at least, assuming just about every youtube video I've seen is accurate.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:14:00 »
Beware though. Hi-Pro boards are really, really nice. Almost too nice for everyday use. You'll find yourself not wanting to use it because every keystroke deteriorates its out-of-the-box perfection.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:52:14 »
I'll definitely take that under advisement.

Does anyone know how the typing experience compares to, say, an all-45g 87u?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:55:54 »
I'll definitely take that under advisement.

Does anyone know how the typing experience compares to, say, an all-45g 87u?

It's a bit like typing on SA but Topre.

I'm not a fan of typing on high profile boards, so I didn't enjoy it, but if you like SA you'll probably like it.

Variable Topre is nice, but I tend to like uniform boards a lot more. I typed on a variable RF a few times before I settled on getting a uniform board. That was also before I started writing as much as I do now, though. I might get another variable to see if I like it more now than I did then.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline macguy80

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 18:25:16 »

I'm not a fan of typing on high profile boards, so I didn't enjoy it, but if you like SA you'll probably like it.

I'm not sure if I've used anything that qualifies as high-profile before. I know that I loved my Commodore 64's spherical keycaps, but I don't know if that would qualify as high-profile.

Can I ask what you didn't like about SA? The only profiles I have definite experience with are OEM and Cherry.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 18:42:20 »

I'm not sure if I've used anything that qualifies as high-profile before. I know that I loved my Commodore 64's spherical keycaps, but I don't know if that would qualify as high-profile.

Can I ask what you didn't like about SA? The only profiles I have definite experience with are OEM and Cherry.

SA is way too tall for me. I really like flat boards. My daily board is a Filco with reds and GMK, so even my LZ feels pretty tall.

SA is a little ridiculous.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline sandelius

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 04:06:50 »
Is HiPro Topre comfortable to type on? I'd really like to try out that board but it would be radically different from all the boards I've used so far.

In most of the typing demonstrations of HiPro on Youtube people rest their wrists on the table. Does sculpting of the caps force this posture? I hover my wrists over the board and try to keep my wrists straight.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 04:20:39 »
How have I never heard of the HiPro before?! Want  :eek:

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 10:47:02 »
Too bad they're even more expensive than normal Topres because they're exclusive, while you can snag a Topre at ~$200, you can only bet on getting a HiPro for $300+.  :confused: :confused:

Offline keytohopiness

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 11:26:26 »
Type-S.  Silence is golden.

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 11:29:52 »
I would go for the Hi-Pro if you can.

I am not a huge fan of the Type-S because I actually prefer a stock HHKB Pro 2 with Hyperspheres and Lube. I like that sound much better than a Type S. I also enjoy "modding" so the actual work to do this is just as enjoyable as the outcome.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 18:59:13 »
Too bad they're even more expensive than normal Topres because they're exclusive, while you can snag a Topre at ~$200, you can only bet on getting a HiPro for $300+.  :confused: :confused:

Eh, with a HHKB at 250ish, 300 isn't so bad. I would be willing to spend about 300 on a HiPro just from looking at it. Those caps are sick.

probably doesn't feel as good as buckling springs, but that's okay too. :p

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 20:49:21 »

Depends on the user.  I gave my Model M to my wife, and she seems content.  But I've got Topre, Alps and even Cherry boards I like better -- partly because the BS boards require too much actuation force for my taste. 
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 21:16:07 »
Eh, with a HHKB at 250ish, 300 isn't so bad. I would be willing to spend about 300 on a HiPro just from looking at it. Those caps are sick.

You can definitely find HHKB and HiPro Boards for much cheaper than those prices you just have to keep an eye out in the classifieds and sometimes on eBay.

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 22:02:45 »

I was so close to buying a Model F modded with a Teensy to use with USB but I didn't want the loud clack of it to drive my roommates insane.  :'(