Author Topic: Please Help I cant stand typing on domes any longer (OG K70 linux issues)  (Read 2457 times)

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
My K70 with blues (non-RGB) suddenly stopped working about a week ago. The USB passthrough works so I dont think its completely dead (firmware issue?). At the time  my keyboard stopped working, I was using it to install arch linux. After the install, my keyboard wasnt detected! I installed the unnoficial drivers shown here with no success including trying the workarounds.

As I said the USB hub works reguardless of the OS. The polling switch on the back does nothing to help. The keyboard does not work on any machine I tried it on (PC linux OR MAC). 6 months out of warrenty, too. :/ The firmware update/drivers for the OG K70 is no longer listed on Corsair's site. Any ideas what I can do?

Offline Tactile

Re: Please Help I cant stand typing on domes any longer (OG K70 linux issues)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 20:55:35 »
During an install some Linux distros can send some wacky codes to keyboards when they're probing hardware. I wonder if your keyboard just got switched into some other, probably undocumented, mode. If you can find the info (yeah, right) there are probably one or two pins on the controller chip which, when shorted together or to ground, will reset it. 
REΛLFORCE

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 22:06:49 »
During an install some Linux distros can send some wacky codes to keyboards when they're probing hardware. I wonder if your keyboard just got switched into some other, probably undocumented, mode. If you can find the info (yeah, right) there are probably one or two pins on the controller chip which, when shorted together or to ground, will reset it.
Any suggestions for a schematic or something?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 22:15:33 »
Any suggestions for a schematic or something?
I don't know anything about it. You can Google as well as I can. Does yours have this switch?
153966-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 01:51:00 »
yep. Polling switch does nothing

Offline atarione

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 02:00:45 »
maybe this will help?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/30czjx/corsair_k70_flashing_scroll_lock_not_functioning/

fixed it by turning off my PC, setting the switch to BIOS, then turning on my PC. I then turned off the PC at the log in screen, (keyboard still not active at this point) set to 1 and rebooted. it worked.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 13:47:36 »
maybe this will help?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/30czjx/corsair_k70_flashing_scroll_lock_not_functioning/

fixed it by turning off my PC, setting the switch to BIOS, then turning on my PC. I then turned off the PC at the log in screen, (keyboard still not active at this point) set to 1 and rebooted. it worked.
Nope. Gonna try reinstalling hid drivers on Windows to see if it works.

Offline billnyetherussianspy

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 17:51:59 »
During an install some Linux distros can send some wacky codes to keyboards when they're probing hardware.

Wow, thanks for telling me that. I'll make sure to plug in my rubber dome when/if I go to install linux.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 14:06:12 »
During an install some Linux distros can send some wacky codes to keyboards when they're probing hardware.

Wow, thanks for telling me that. I'll make sure to plug in my rubber dome when/if I go to install linux.

Huh, I did not know this.  Is this only on initial install or can it do this too when plugging it in for the first time with OS loaded?  I don't actually have any domes left.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 14:10:54 »
I've never had a problem this severe but I had a trackball that Linux would kill. I had to reboot back into Windows, then unplug/replug to get it to work again. I never figured that one out other than I couldn't use it with Linux.
REΛLFORCE

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 21:44:25 »
Bumping because still have no fix  :(

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 03:05:48 »
I hate to say it but it sounds like the controllers dead. I suspect the usb hub function is as you said... just a passthrough. You aren't getting any hardware showing up at all on the hid controller? I know theres some testing functions with xinput that you can use to try and capture what its outputting... but i don't think that will do you any good if its not showing up. Theres a 'testusb' that you might be able to use to get some response. Can you use the keyboard in the mobo's bios? or UEFI?
-Dana

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 20:35:02 »
I hate to say it but it sounds like the controllers dead. I suspect the usb hub function is as you said... just a passthrough. You aren't getting any hardware showing up at all on the hid controller? I know theres some testing functions with xinput that you can use to try and capture what its outputting... but i don't think that will do you any good if its not showing up. Theres a 'testusb' that you might be able to use to get some response. Can you use the keyboard in the mobo's bios? or UEFI?

Nothing...thats what i was afraid of. I just dont know how the hell it died. Installing linux shouldnt do that... Maybe a surge? I have absolutely no idea. Welp, I needed an excuse to get a new board anyways lol

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 20:55:16 »

Nothing...thats what i was afraid of. I just dont know how the hell it died. Installing linux shouldnt do that... Maybe a surge? I have absolutely no idea. Welp, I needed an excuse to get a new board anyways lol

I blame Corsair.  I've owned two K95s.  First one had some kind of electronic failure after a year and a half or so; the second one had a switch fail after a month.  I might have been unlucky, but I have serious doubts about the reliability of their boards.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|