Author Topic: AliExpress CNC case (60%)  (Read 7888 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
AliExpress CNC case (60%)
« on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 14:48:49 »
Just got this in the mail.  Found it on AliExpress a while back and ordered it not knowing what to expect.  Here's the product page:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mechanical-keyboard-shell-anode-aluminum-shell-gh60-poker-60-mechanical-keyboard-shell/32677137562.html

Very nice product.  Hardly any blemishes and high quality finish.  I'm very pleased.  It weighs close to 4 pounds, and I have placed a v60, Pok3r, and GH60 Satan in it without any issues.

161461-0

Full album here:
http://imgur.com/a/G1JmV

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: AliExpress CNC case (60%)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 16:31:34 »
Thanks for the info. How long did it take to get to you?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 16:52:46 »
Thanks for the info. How long did it take to get to you?

I did free shipping.  It took 20 days. 

Offline tron

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 15:24:02 »
Did you get the extra $10 weight add-on? Do you think the screw in weight makes a difference with typing feel or sound? I'm tempted to get one of these but not sure if the usb cut out will fit the Zeal 60 pcb.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 16:05:07 »
Did you get the extra $10 weight add-on? Do you think the screw in weight makes a difference with typing feel or sound? I'm tempted to get one of these but not sure if the usb cut out will fit the Zeal 60 pcb.

Zeal60 is just a poker PCB, right?

It'll probably fit just fine.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 19:36:17 »

I did buy the weight.  It just adds weight, and it does not change the sound at all.  No issues with USB on the v60, gh60, or poker.  I don't have a zeal board to see the differences.  I will say the ONLY negative I've found with it was the tolerance on the edges.  There is around a 2mm gap on all sides of the plate. It looks good still, but tighter fit would have looked better.  It would have been a deal breaker if it was a case where the plate is flush with the top of the case; however,t the higher edges make it look just fine. 

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 07:47:16 »
I ordered this case too, it's really nice and hefty however the angle is a bit too much for me. I wish there were more high-profile options w/ less of an angle- I'll probably sell mine which is a shame because it is really nice for the price. Works great with hasu's Alps 64 as well.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 08:31:41 »
I ordered this case too, it's really nice and hefty however the angle is a bit too much for me. I wish there were more high-profile options w/ less of an angle- I'll probably sell mine which is a shame because it is really nice for the price. Works great with hasu's Alps 64 as well.

Good point.  I forget that some people have trouble with steeper inclines.  I don't rest my hands on the desk when I type, so it isn't an issue for me. Therefore, I often forget about incline being an issue.  Same goes with SA profile keycaps. 

Offline orpheo

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:33:39 »
Finish is not perfect,  but for the price of one nicely finish 60% you get four of those!

It weights a ton,  I got some blemishes on the case and on the weight,  but man that is 70€ for both shipped!  Wanted to try purple on the cheap!

Even without switch plate (satan)  the PCB feel is so solid.  And with a steel plate oh boy!

« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:35:20 by orpheo »

Offline tron

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:53:51 »

Good point.  I forget that some people have trouble with steeper inclines.  I don't rest my hands on the desk when I type, so it isn't an issue for me. Therefore, I often forget about incline being an issue.  Same goes with SA profile keycaps.

What color do you have? I may want to buy your case if it's silver or black. I'm in Ohio so shipping would be reasonable.

Offline orpheo

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:55:48 »
And to compare with the similarly priced Lambo case on Ali.
The Lambo is annoyingly thin,  and make the cherry ping really loud.  But it's anodizing is more high end and the case is way more refined on the edge.  I guess you can't have it all for that kind of money!

Still Lambo is beautiful to look at,  less so to type on.

I tried some mats to tame the thinness of the case but it's miles away from the **** brick heavy one with the steel weight.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 12:01:45 »

What color do you have? I may want to buy your case if it's silver or black. I'm in Ohio so shipping would be reasonable.

I have silver- shoot me a private message if you're interested and we can probably work something out :)
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 13:45:44 »
The Lambo is annoyingly thin,  and make the cherry ping really loud.  But it's anodizing is more high end and the case is way more refined on the edge.  I guess you can't have it all for that kind of money!

I tried some mats to tame the thinness of the case but it's miles away from the **** brick heavy one with the steel weight.

Show Image

well that's just crazy... I have my keyboard sitting on a piano keyboard at the moment as well.  Great minds think alike!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 16:28:48 »
LZCE > these cases

so thick, so heavy, so good, so gold
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 17:53:41 »
LZCE > these cases

Is the LZCE case available to order anywhere?  I bought this case because I really wanted something nice and there are no currently available 60% cases that fit the bill.  There are some options out there, but not a lot if you want a keyboard with a nice full bezel.  Most are low profile or thin bezel.  Anyway, here is what I am aware of:

Readily available aluminum cases:

-Tex fat lip case (flat profile)
-Tex thin frame case (flat profile)
-Ebay cases for GH60 kits
-This case from Aliexpress
-Lambo case from Amazon and other places
-Vortex low profile CNC case

Readily available wooden cases:

-Datamancer, low profile (no border)
-Royal glam (currently not in stock anywhere.  I wouldn't recommend anyway b/c I waited 5 months for one from Massdrop and had to modify it to work with my Pok3r and refinish it.)
-I found some nice 60% wooden cases with larger frames on aliexpress, and I ordered one in zebra wood, but it will be another two weeks before it shows up: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-GH60-Solid-Wooden-Case-For-60-Mini-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Compatible-Poker2-Pok3r-Faceu/32784211265.html

Readily available plastic cases:
-GH60 plastic cases off of ebay (black, white, clear, and purple)
-3d print z-cases
-Tex acrylic cases (fat lip)

Then there are various sandwich-style cases that you can sometimes add diffusers to for under/side glow effects.

Are there any other substantial 60% cases on the market to add to the list?
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 17:57:58 by reececonrad »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 18:15:09 »
LZCE > these cases

:) ;D :p
Someone trolling here.
All right, we understand that expensive cases should be MUCH better given the 5x+ price.
In my opinion, the purple setup posted by Orpheo above also look really gorgeous despite much more affordable.

There's a "random guys guess price of female undergarments" game.
We can also invite non-enthusiasts to guess the price of cases (okay, perhaps it's not good to drop all their jaws...) or show them cases in pairs and let them guess which one is more expensive and how many times more expensive, given the pair of cases share similar features, e.g. underglow vs underglow, sandwiched acrylic vs sandwiched acrylic, solid metal vs solid metal.
 :))
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline need

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 18:25:39 »
Finish is not perfect,  but for the price of one nicely finish 60% you get four of those!

Show Image

Show Image

It weights a ton,  I got some blemishes on the case and on the weight,  but man that is 70€ for both shipped!  Wanted to try purple on the cheap!

Even without switch plate (satan)  the PCB feel is so solid.  And with a steel plate oh boy!

Oh man... you really have a good eye!  :eek:

Are those esc and spacebar in N5 colour code (Bluegaloo) ?

Offline orpheo

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 22:35:06 »
LZCE > these cases

What is this Lzce? I can't find anything.

Offline orpheo

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 22:36:14 »

Show Image

well that's just crazy... I have my keyboard sitting on a piano keyboard at the moment as well.  Great minds think alike!

Hehe,  love piano as well, you have great taste sir!

Offline orpheo

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 22:53:36 »

Show Image

Show Image

Oh man... you really have a good eye!  :eek:

Are those esc and spacebar in N5 colour code (Bluegaloo) ?

Yup,  space bar I bought it from Oco and the esc key I got from the esc pack from bluegaloo esc pack.  Thanks man!

About this build,  as I am in love with keyboard since more than 25 years now and I love the azerty layout,  I am stuck in finding vintage keycaps from Cherry. No ever GMK GB for French funk that!  Those alphas I paid 10€. I luckily found the purple mods. This build is not too much and I am even more glad because the case is stellar for the price.  I got many alu 60% and I for the life of me couldn't afford if they were the price of custom Korean,  Eagle,  vipers,  Lcze :)

By the way I have all four color for this case and my least preferred is the silver one.  I just love the red and black one!

Offline orpheo

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 23:04:46 »

One day I hope there will be a good Chinese designer who will produce tons of nice cases with thick bezel like this photoshop mockup I made from my Norbauer case.  I love that one by the way,  and it was all in all reasonable cost wise .
Peeps seems not so hot on a this 60% concept,  but now I love thick bezel. Please dear Chinese community,  make this happen:

« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 23:06:58 by orpheo »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 23:14:57 »
I have this same case from when Massdrop had them... i've been trying to find a good source for the weight insert - any suggestions?

-Dana

Offline orpheo

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 00:08:55 »
Sure,  go to the link in the first OP post,  choose color,  then coose the weight of metal.  It's 11 bux shipped. To be safe message the seller and ask him for the screws too.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 02:45:10 »
If you guys use ePacket shipping on Aliexpress it is literally the EXACT SAME SERVICE as China Post's EMS but much much cheaper. You can get it delivered in under two weeks if you do this. It is my plan for my Alps64

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 10:24:45 »
Sure,  go to the link in the first OP post,  choose color,  then coose the weight of metal.  It's 11 bux shipped. To be safe message the seller and ask him for the screws too.

I mean is there something other than the steel plate, like brass or something? I'm just wondering if its a standard insert for some GH60 style case. None the less i picked one up from the OP link! Thanks.
-Dana