Author Topic: Which mount did you like?  (Read 5340 times)

Offline nobodynoname1943

Which mount did you like?
« on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 00:47:23 »
Hey guys, which mount did you like? Please take a pick below and let me know why, we can talk about this:)
 I  would really like to know what you guys think of these mounting types.
1. Top
2. Plate Gasket
3. PCB Gasket(Plateless)

With so many gasket mounts nowadays, do you still want a see new IC with top mount?
What do you think of plate gasket and PCB gasket? please elaborate with some examples. For example, I realize that I do not like the sound of 7V that much, yet the typing feels of pcb-gasket on the 7V feels nice
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 January 2022, 03:45:14 by nobodynoname1943 »

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Which mount did you like?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 01:03:32 »
Plateless gaskets are always fun to type on, but I mostly prefer top mount with a mid softness plate, think alu 5052, fr4, maybe even pom.

Offline Handke

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 02:05:40 »
Hey guys, which mount did you like? Please take a choose and tell me why, we can talk about this:)
Thank you everyone, I really want know what you like.
1. Top
2. Plate Gasket
3. PCB Gasket(Plateless)

Each implementation has variations that are so high that you can't generalize at all.

For example the gmmk pro is a gasket mount, but it is completely rigid.

PCB mount can feel nice in a 60% keyboard, but feels like **** in a full size cherry g80-3000.

Probably you should ask: given a specific size, which mount do you prefer?

Offline nobodynoname1943

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 03:19:20 »
Plateless gaskets are always fun to type on, but I mostly prefer top mount with a mid softness plate, think alu 5052, fr4, maybe even pom.

Yes,I think so, plateless have more fun to type, but also I think plateless sound not good, like 7V...

Offline nobodynoname1943

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 03:24:27 »
Hey guys, which mount did you like? Please take a choose and tell me why, we can talk about this:)
1. Top
2. Plate Gasket
3. PCB Gasket(Plateless)

Each implementation has variations that are so high that you can't generalize at all.

PCB mount can feel nice in a 60% keyboard, but feels like **** in a full size cherry g80-3000.

Given a specific size, which mount do you prefer? Q: 65% and 75%.
I agree your point: PCB mount in a full size is bad thing, very bad.
Why would you think PCB mount can feel nice in 60% keyboard? Type fun or sound?

Offline Handke

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 06:24:12 »
1. Top
2. Plate Gasket
3. PCB Gasket(Plateless)

Given a specific size, which mount do you prefer? Q: 65% and 75%.
I agree your point: PCB mount in a full size is bad thing, very bad.
Why would you think PCB mount can feel nice in 60% keyboard? Type fun or sound?

I modded a 60% keyboard (probably pok3r compatible), removing the plate. With a plastic case it sounded very deep, and wans't too stiff or too flexy.

Offline butre

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 10:14:52 »
I'm a big fan of tray mount on o-rings

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 12:57:29 »
1. Top
2. Plate Gasket
3. PCB Gasket(Plateless)

Flat stock yeah they don't feel or sound the best, but tune up the switches + stabs & put a sheet of shelf liner under the PCB to shim it tighter in the case halves & they can type like a dream + sound pretty good IMO.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 17:16:19 »
Hey guys, which mount did you like? Please take a pick below and let me know why, we can talk about this:)
 I  would really like to know what you guys think of these mounting types.
1. Top
2. Plate Gasket
3. PCB Gasket(Plateless)

My choice, sandwich with a stiff plate and a stiff or no gasket at all.
The closest to your list would be top/bottom mount but with a perimeter bolt pattern rather than random placement for a stiff, consistent feel across the entire keyboard.

The mount may be important but it's about mid tier on my list of preferences on a keyboard, format, layout and even basic design is far more important. It could have the greatest mount in the world, if it's the wrong format, size, or shape I'm still not buying it.

It's important to remember, the case doesn't create noise it only transfers, amplifies or dampens it and there's no reliable way to design a keyboard acoustically to sound a specific way, it's like trying to design and tune an odd shape speaker enclosure full of dozens of speakers by altering shape rather than tuning the speakers themselves, it's never going to be even remotely perfect. We can make generalizations (mostly about materials and mounts) but you'll never design out all the bad things. Switches on the other hand, we can tune and adjust. The best case will never make bad switches tolerable but good switches can make a bad case enjoyable.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Handke

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 02:08:01 »
1. Top
2. Plate Gasket
3. PCB Gasket(Plateless)

Flat stock yeah they don't feel or sound the best, but tune up the switches + stabs & put a sheet of shelf liner under the PCB to shim it tighter in the case halves & they can type like a dream + sound pretty good IMO.

g80-3000? I've tried that, but still didn't feel "right". The case was too light, the feet were bad so it was moving around all the time. Not so easy to fix... Since if you add good feet, the keyboard still moves around due to the case being not perfectly flat. Weight is a good thing in a keyboard.

Offline vutid

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 February 2022, 17:05:35 »
gummy oring
GMK Rave

Offline Handke

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 05:41:39 »
gummy oring

I've never tried that, but given that the "enourmous" o-ring is heavily compressed, it probably feels very rigid, isn't it? Furthermore it requires a pcb with some "recesses" to allow the o-ring to pass through the usb-port etc. Not elegant at all.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 13:55:27 »
I don't have much experience with different mount, I've yet to try traditional gasket mount boards but I do know I prefer solid mounts over the softer ones I've tried.
Such as top or tray mounts over softer ones such as something like the KBD67 Lite or a tray mount with o-ring, I'm not a heavy typist but something about it feels flimsy.

Offline Username

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 14:10:13 »
Having only used top mounted and plateless, I'd gotta go with top mounted. It just feels sturdier. I type pretty heavily, so I don't want to feel like I may break the keyboard (obviously I won't)

Offline teddo

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 13:31:47 »
Gasket mount, but looking forward to get my hands onto gummy oring mount too :thumb:

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 20:47:35 »
Lately Ive been enjoying a top mount with a poly plate but I am still waiting to try a good gasket mount.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 14:51:33 »
i love plateless boards but they can get tiring, i think an o-ring mount with a POM plate will be my favorite for a while, although there are moments when it just matters on the board and switch, for example, i am more inclined to use a heavy tactile switch on a stiffer, more middle ground sounding board to bring out the sound and am legally required to use a linear switch with a plateless board.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 May 2022, 18:45:00 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 15:16:12 »
I think, as others have said, it depends on board size, for one.

I also find that it depends on switches, also.

I like top-mount with a good polycarb plate. That's KBD8X MKII with aftermarket plate, right? I've got that with lubed Everglide Jade Green, and it's great. I hear that top-mount is better for tactiles. Makes them more crisp, or something.

What I do find is that top-mount is more consistent for tactiles. They can be noisy, but you can get a more consistent actuation and sound across the board using top-mount as opposed to tray-mount.

What about plateless? I have an NCR-80 with Ergo Clears, and it's okay. I can see what people mean by tiring. The travel seems a little longer, even though it isn't. And you feel the bottom if you strike it. Case construction of NCR feels and sounds like a cardboard egg carton. Well, mine's tape modded, so it's a particularly thocky egg carton.

Anyway, I'd like to try polished MX Browns in an NCR-80 before passing final judgement on plateless. It's viable at near TKL level [75% or so]. Doesn't feel too mushy or catastrophic.

Haven't typed on KBD67 Lite recently. But the mounting system is better than tray-mount for both linears and tactiles. JWK-style switches seemed to benefit from it more than Cherry did. I wouldn't say is was as crisp as the top-mount on the KBD8X MKII, but it is very versatile, and good enough. Maybe a bit stiffer, closer to a tight tray-mount in that regard.

So far, I think I prefer top-mount, esp. with softer plate, for tactiles. But it's not always the answer. Lubed KTT Mallo works fine in a stock MK870, which is just tray-mount. Sounds a bit better with the steel plate, too, better than the polycarb mod.

Offline Getsome!!!

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 16:26:06 »
As long as it's not flexy, I could care less. My priorities are the way it looks, then the way it sounds, feel comes last.

Offline Backspace2

• Third most used key on the keyboard is Backspace!
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 17:20:02 »
I like gummy o-ring just because of how simple it is and its sound profile. Plop it in, and boom, generally higher-pitched sound!
Yes

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 18:07:27 »
I don't get how plateless is practical or nice to use. Seems to be just for looks, all gimmick. You lose so many benefits over something you rarely see anyway.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 18:39:24 »
I don't get how plateless is practical or nice to use. Seems to be just for looks, all gimmick. You lose so many benefits over something you rarely see anyway.

Care to elaborate on what benefits you're missing out on? You also know that plateless has nothing at all to do with looks, right?