Author Topic: how do you store your keyboards?  (Read 8633 times)

Offline wellington1869

how do you store your keyboards?
« on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 16:08:58 »
Any tips for space-disadvantaged folks?  I'm hurling them under the bed for now, but how do you keep dust off them and keep them from scratching each other as they pile up on top of each other?

Is there such a thing as a "keyboard sock"? Or just wrap them in old towels? (they'll fall off tho).  Any ingenious ideas? What could be used as a keyboard sock?

(Personally I think geekhack should sell its own logo keyboard socks at the cafe press store :) )

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 16:24:08 »
Geekhack-logo'ed keyboard socks.

I LIKE IT!   :)

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 16:41:51 »
If I didn't have the original box then I'd use bubble wrap. You could make a bubble wrap bag with packing tape, wrap it a little loosely around the board so you can remove it easily, then pop a silica gel sachet in it to absorb any moisture.

Offline andb

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 16:58:47 »
I keep them in an old fridge that i store tons of old hardware in. I think I win the "worst storage solution" award. Hey, now that I think about it, I should take that old fridge to be recycled. If I was more concerned, i think wrapping them in newspaper, duct tape it together, then stash in a box under the bed or in a closet (on top of the box with my 50 old harddisks...) would be the technique I'd choose.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 17:15:32 »
They're Model Ms for the most part. No special treatment.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 18:54:55 »
Quote from: iMav;14224
Geekhack-logo'ed keyboard socks.

I LIKE IT!   :)

iMav you should SO definitely do that. So long as they're about 10 or 15 bucks or less each, I would totally buy a couple. There has got to be somewhere to buy those in bulk and have them printed... Maybe a large laptop neoprene sleeve would do it. (or a manufacturer who prints custom bags could do it).

Only if you knit them yourself, iMav.

LOL I kinda thought that too ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 19:51:23 »
ah, here are some "keyboard sleeves". A bit pricey, $29 to $49, but in terms of design, quite perfect :)  Different sizes, colorful, etc.

Pretty much the only one I found...  If they ever come down to $10 I'll buy one ;)

Here's a positive review of the sleeve.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 19:59:07 »
Duh -- I have a feeling those "stretchy book covers" made out of spandex will fit perfectly. I have this feeling because -- I actually did that once! I had forgotten about it. I had a spandex book cover lying around, and I used to store my endurapro in it.  They cost just a couple of bucks and ebay is full of them.

Not much padding, but it was definitely a successful dust and scratch cover, and easy to put on and remove.  Guess I'll pick up a few more of those. (You have to get the 'one size fits all' type, or those that say they will fit books 8"x10" (perfect for a 8"x18" long board (model M size) or smaller)). That one was big enough to stretch over the endurapro and cover all the keys completely).

Now if only we can get them printed with geekhack logo in bulk... ;)

Some pretty ones; some cheap.

Offline lexicon

• http://www.word-detective.com
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 20:42:16 »
Speaking of books, I have five sets of bookshelves in my home office, six shelves each.  I just put each keyboard on top of a shelf full of books.  It keeps them safe from the cats and I don't have to worry about anything falling on them.  I even keeps a lot of dust from collecting on them, though I should put something over them.
IBM Model M 1391401 (1989)
IBM Model M 52G9658 (1993) x2
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black)
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (way too many)
Dell AT101W (black)
Silicon Graphics AT-101 (1993)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 December 2008, 17:14:38 »
another lightbulb went on: for keyboard sock, something else that would prolly work really well: leg warmers.
Look at the different types and sizes available (different materials too, from wool to spandex). Just about the right size.  Tie off one end, optionally (tho the styles with elastic on both ends prolly wont need that either).

So iMav, any way you could have geekhack logo'ed leg warmers produced? (some folks might even use them on their legs, lol).

I havent tried out this idea yet but it seems like a no-brainer.  There's also such a thing as "arm warmers" which might work if need a smaller size. There's also something called "baby leg warmers" again if need smaller size.

Unlike book covers (which are great as "dust covers" while boards are in storage but have no padding), leg warmers (wool or knitted) would actually provide some padding.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 05:54:51 »
I'll see if anybody I know still have some from the '80s. :)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 14:41:22 »
Quote from: itlnstln;15124
I'll see if anybody I know still have some from the '80s. :)

:D I know, if you're bored you can always put them on and reenact key scenes from Fame.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 15:54:12 »
I was thinking about some Jane Fonda workout videos, but whatever.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 11:38:47 »

Offline Therac-25

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 12:09:31 »
Rubbermaid storage bins?  Or does that not meet the requirements for obsession...?  

I'll try harder.
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 12:29:22 »
Quote from: Therac-25;17220
Rubbermaid storage bins?  Or does that not meet the requirements for obsession...?  

I'll try harder.

Actually, I think Rubbermaid storage bins define obsession so you're right on track.

Offline Therac-25

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 12:42:10 »
Quote from: xsphat;17223
Actually, I think Rubbermaid storage bins define obsession so you're right on track.

You know that they don't each get their own, right?  I just pile as many in one as will fit...
Model M Mini

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 14:14:25 »
My former employer used the rubbermaid bins for the old worn out cheap rubber dome keyboards, and filing cabinets for the good new rubber dome keyboards. :p

(The only mechanical keyboard in the building was... my M13. :p)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 15:39:12 »
Quote from: Chloe;17217
Inpad have these keyboard bags:
http://www.inpad.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?cPath=124_184&products_id=3614

those look perfect Chloe :) Tho it sounds like buying them will cost $40 in shipping. I wish they were avail in US... with a geekhack logo on them... ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 02:24:20 »
When I think of obsession, I see stacks of Rubbermaid tubs, all full of whatever, and labeled.

Offline Therac-25

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 09:38:45 »
Quote from: xsphat;17300
When I think of obsession, I see stacks of Rubbermaid tubs, all full of whatever, and labeled.

Then I'll post a picture of the bin when I get home. Just having them does not mean that what's inside them is organized.  They simply provide more space to put stuff instead of organizing it.
Model M Mini

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 10:34:54 »
Rubbermaid - providing superior clusterf*ck containment systems since 1902.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 00:05:24 »
another keyboard case, for "travelling". 45 bucks though. The keyboard quiver.

Also i think this one has already been mentioned. Waterfield keyboard travel case, $49.

I still think stretchable book covers (or if you want cushioning, 1980s style leg warmers) is the most cost-effective way to go :)

[update: here's the updated link on stretchable book covers thread: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=4938]
[p.s, i hate the way several years worth of internal geekhack links were destroyed by the forum upgrade]
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2009, 13:25:10 by wellington1869 »

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 00:20:10 »
Quote from: wellington1869;17707
1980s style leg warmers

Those are far too sexy to put my keyboards in. My wife wears them better than any old Model M ever could.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 00:29:13 »
The Keyboard Quiver.  For words that touch the heart like Cupid's arrows.

*puke*

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 01:10:14 »
I just stack mine on top of each other; I alternate the orientation on them so they stay put and don't slide off.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 08:43:05 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;17719
I just stack mine on top of each other;

I do not stack more than three. Otherwise weight can add up fast for the bottom board. I try to store them vertically on the long side.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline ozar

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 06 February 2009, 22:53:20 »

Most of mine get stored in their original packing if I still have it, and then stacked.  Otherwise, they go into cardboard boxes that fit them with bubble wrap tucked around them.

lowpoly's suggestion above to store them vertically sounds like a good one.