Author Topic: Moving to US for 1 month  (Read 14432 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Moving to US for 1 month
« on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 02:15:37 »
I'm moving to New York (from Italy) for one month starting next week. I found out too late that the place where I'm staying has a ****ty internet connection (shared in the building) and I'm looking for alternatives.

What would be the best way to have a reliable internet connection for just one month? I was thinking to get a portable 4G repeater, but I don't seem to be able to find one with just 1 month contract. The alternative would be to get a pre-paid SIM for my cellphone but they seem to be all capped to 2GB and sometimes they don't allow tethering.

Suggestions anyone?

THANKS!

Offline vyshane

Re: Moving to US for 1 month
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 03:26:45 »
I got a prepaid t-mobile plan when I was in the US back in July. Around $70 for a month of unlimited talk / text / 4G data, nationwide.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 04:01:37 »
I got a prepaid t-mobile plan when I was in the US back in July. Around $70 for a month of unlimited talk / text / 4G data, nationwide.

thanks I'll look into it.

I was looking into something like this http://www.xcomglobal.com/usa-mobile-hotspot-plan but $14.95/day for a month it's not the cheapest...

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 04:13:43 »
I think that any access for only a month will be spendy. =/
I found this http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/prepay/processPrePayRequest.do?type=ppjetpack but it's still almost $200 for a month for just 10GB.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 04:35:06 »
that's not too bad... I've also found this that seems promising https://yourkarma.com/store

Offline Belfong

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 04:49:45 »
And remember to buy all the mechanical keyboards you can find in US!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 04:59:04 »

oh that's for sure :)

Anything interesting in NY keyboard-wise?

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 05:03:11 »

oh that's for sure :)

Anything interesting in NY keyboard-wise?

I would look at all the popular US shops like elite-keyboards and so forth. They sell a LOT of stuff that is not available in Europe, and that you would probably have to pay a ****-ton of extra taxes and customs charges for if you import (In Holland 19% of the price excl VAT then customs charges of at least 10 euros i.e. you pay taxes twice + customs charges).
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Belfong

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 05:03:58 »
Unicomp for sure. I wish I had a month in the US!

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 05:04:56 »
Preapaid phone, and tether it. 
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 05:10:22 »
Preapaid phone, and tether it.

couldn't find any with decent data-plan. anyway I'll go in some shops there and try to ask...

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 05:51:33 »
steal boost's internet
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 06:25:05 »
Maybe take a look into freedompop. You get 1GB data free, then some tiered pay structure after that, no contracts.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:17:52 »
Matt30, if you can, try and hit up a MicroCenter in New Jersey. Think the Patterson location is closest to you. They have the best collection of mech boards at a storefront I've seen. Trying to think of other places that sell mech boards at a storefront in that area too...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:21:50 »
Matt30, if you can, try and hit up a MicroCenter in New Jersey. Think the Patterson location is closest to you. They have the best collection of mech boards at a storefront I've seen. Trying to think of other places that sell mech boards at a storefront in that area too...

definitely worth a visit! thanks!

keep suggestions coming :)

on a partially unrelated topic, I do hope the Nexus 5 will come out while I'm there :) I would be totally in to grab one

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:21:59 »

Patterson is like 30 minutes - 1 hour from new york city depending on where you are coming from within the city

Best Buy sells BW's...

that's about it

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:25:58 »
Depending on where you're staying Matt3o, there's also a MicroCenter in Long Island and Yonkers. Not really sure where you're staying though.

Edit: B&H and J&R might carry some as well.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:30:06 »
I'm in Manhattan.

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:59:04 »
Will you move back to Italy? Just curious.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:00:36 »
You can get NetZero for pretty cheap.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:02:17 »
Live near free wifi.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:06:20 »
Live near free wifi.

^ This.

You might get lucky and find an open WAP nearby. If not, look for strong signals, and then knock on your neighbor's door. They might be willing to share their WiFi if you ask, and offer to pay them for a month of access. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:37:33 »
Will you move back to Italy? Just curious.

sure I'll be back :)

You can get NetZero for pretty cheap.

thanks! this seems very reasonably priced http://www.netzero.net/

then knock on your neighbor's door. They might be willing to share their WiFi if you ask, and offer to pay them for a month of access. :)

this might work... actually :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:45:35 by Matt3o »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:16:24 »
where in manhattan?  uptown?  downtown?  midtown?
also is this a sublet?  Or business related housing in a hotel?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:19:59 »

sublet in UWS

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:29:07 »

sublet in UWS

you got access to a car?
anyway if you're planning on leaving the city/manhattan area, you'll need a car.
Public transport only works basically around the 5 boroughs.

Regards to Microcenter, you're actually the closest to the Yonker's store, but it'll be a PITA to get there.
2nd closest is the NJ Paterson store, i never been there so i dunno how its "Stock" of keyboards are.
I assume its similar to the Westbury LI store in which they have the western mech boards (Razer, Corsair, logitech, CM) and i believe they also have Ducky's
the LI store has Ducky Zero, Ducky Zero Shines, Thermaltake Meka boards, and Adesso boards lol

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:30:47 »

I'm not sure where you're staying in NY, but there's also a Microcenter in Yonkers -- and yes, they do have a better selection of keyboards than a lot of other stores. This particular MicroCenter has QFRs in stock -- but nothing very exotic, just blue and black switches.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:33:35 »
you got access to a car?
anyway if you're planning on leaving the city/manhattan area, you'll need a car.

Whatttt? ZipCar, Amtrak, MetroNorth, NJTransit, LIRR, bus lines....there's plenty of options to accessing the surrounding areas.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:35:08 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:34:27 »
If not, look for strong signals, and then knock on your neighbor's door. They might be willing to share their WiFi if you ask, and offer to pay them for a month of access. :)

I did this. Best decision evarrr.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:41:50 »
you got access to a car?

Whatttt? ZipCar, Amtrak, MetroNorth, NJTransit, LIRR....there's plenty of options to accessing the surrounding areas.

the nearest LIRR station to the westbury microcenter is 1+mile away from the store.
to get to yonkers, you'll take the M86 to Harlem to get to the 5 train to Eastchester, then walk to 125th and take the Metro north up to White plains, then walk a mile and a half or so to microcenter yonkers.
to get to patterson, you gotta get to the port authority bus terminal, then switch to the 161 and ride it out to patterson.

As someone who lives in NY/NYC, if you're within the city limits, you'll be fine with mass transit.
Once you leave the city limits, its a PITA to get bus service and train service to match up correctly.
The farther out you leave the city, the less options there are for public transit.  LIRR reaches all of long island, true.  But unless its a major town/city, you're most likely going to be miles away from where you'll want to be.
I grew up on the island, LIRR is possibly the least reliable train service around, worse than metro north, NJT, and amtrak lol.
wouldn't Zipcar = access to a Car?

Amtrak goes upstate or to Boston/DC/Philly/etc
its not mass transit from NYC

NJ Transit

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:43:22 »
oh and if your internet's shared through the building (i assume its an apartment complex as UWS housing is expensive as balls), your neighbor will most likely be using the same internet that you do lol.

and it'll most likely be Time Warner Cable basic internet which blows, or Verizon DSL which also blows.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:45:45 »
you got access to a car?

Whatttt? ZipCar, Amtrak, MetroNorth, NJTransit, LIRR....there's plenty of options to accessing the surrounding areas.

the nearest LIRR station to the westbury microcenter is 1+mile away from the store.
to get to yonkers, you'll take the M86 to Harlem to get to the 5 train to Eastchester, then walk to 125th and take the Metro north up to White plains, then walk a mile and a half or so to microcenter yonkers.
to get to patterson, you gotta get to the port authority bus terminal, then switch to the 161 and ride it out to patterson.

As someone who lives in NY/NYC, if you're within the city limits, you'll be fine with mass transit.
Once you leave the city limits, its a PITA to get bus service and train service to match up correctly.
The farther out you leave the city, the less options there are for public transit.  LIRR reaches all of long island, true.  But unless its a major town/city, you're most likely going to be miles away from where you'll want to be.
I grew up on the island, LIRR is possibly the least reliable train service around, worse than metro north, NJT, and amtrak lol.

NJ Transit

Yes Zipcar is access to a car.

I've spent a lot of time in NYC and I've taken all of the options I've listed without much issue. I've also spent a lot of time on the Island and lived in CT and north NJ. I haven't ever had issue getting access into and out of NYC with the public transit options available. Guess its a YMMV thing.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:55:13 »
Live near free wifi.

^ This.

You might get lucky and find an open WAP nearby. If not, look for strong signals, and then knock on your neighbor's door. They might be willing to share their WiFi if you ask, and offer to pay them for a month of access. :)

I have had amazing luck with doing this while traveling
It's even better if you bring a plate of choc chip cookies when you knock on their door to introduce yourself.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:56:24 »
you got access to a car?

NJ Transit

I've spent a lot of time in NYC and I've taken all of the options I've listed without much issue. I've also spent a lot of time on the Island and lived in CT and north NJ. I haven't ever had issue getting access into and out of NYC with the public transit options available. Guess its a YMMV thing.

not a PITA, just a waste of time IMO

it takes 1hr45 mins to get from the UWS to LI Microcenter by public transport
and thats if you catch each connection.
it'll take you 45 mins to drive there from the UWS.
Same with taking it to yonkers or patterson (as examples), it'll prob only take 30 mins or so to get to those areas.

Gettin to some of the remote places in Suffolk county LI is a pita if you don't have a car. 
Same with some places near queens, the only option i have from where I live which is near St Johns Univ is to take the bus to Jamaica LIRR station or take it into Flushing for the 7 train which is the worst train in NY.

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:58:18 »
you got access to a car?

NJ Transit

not a PITA, just a waste of time IMO

it takes 1hr45 mins to get from the UWS to LI Microcenter by public transport
and thats if you catch each connection.
it'll take you 45 mins to drive there from the UWS.
Same with taking it to yonkers or patterson (as examples), it'll prob only take 30 mins or so to get to those areas.

Gettin to some of the remote places in Suffolk county LI is a pita if you don't have a car. 
Same with some places near queens, the only option i have from where I live which is near St Johns Univ is to take the bus to Jamaica LIRR station or take it into Flushing for the 7 train which is the worst train in NY.

completely agree 100%
public transport is ok if you don't care about time

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:08:24 »
thank you guys for the suggestions. I think that if I need to go out of the island I'd get a car somehow. I've heard of zipcar but don't really know what's that about. I'll have a look.

I'm in UWS near the Lincoln center, apartments are really expensive there but I found a place that belongs to friends of friends of friends and I had it at a very reasonable price (well at least for NY standards). I would have picked a different location otherwise.

The wifi I believe is driven by Natural wireless.

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:22:26 »
if you need a car check out carpingo
not necessarily cheap per-se but it's super convenient

37778-0

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:58:02 »
Matt, while you're in the city, be sure to buy yourself a day pass for the Water Taxi -- it's a nice way to get around and you can see NYC from the water, which (trust me on this) is awesome. http://www.nywatertaxi.com/

Best things to do in NYC?

1. MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) -- usually they have some interesting stuff.
2. Museum of Natural History -- gorgeous building, and a stuffed blue whale.
3. Grand Central Station -- go there, and don't go anywhere, just hang out on the inside, it's beautiful.
4. See a Broadway show -- I recommend Avenue Q, which is a show comprising filthy-mouthed puppets. Or Wicked.
5. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge -- bucket list sort of thing.
6. Grimaldi's Pizza -- again, bucket list entry. Protip: don't wait in line for 1.5 hours like the dopes. Call up, ask for takeout, then walk past the morons waiting in line (ido not feed the hipsters) grab your pizza and go.

... that's it.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 15:26:25 »
Matt, while you're in the city, be sure to buy yourself a day pass for the Water Taxi -- it's a nice way to get around and you can see NYC from the water, which (trust me on this) is awesome. http://www.nywatertaxi.com/

Best things to do in NYC?

1. MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) -- usually they have some interesting stuff.
2. Museum of Natural History -- gorgeous building, and a stuffed blue whale.
3. Grand Central Station -- go there, and don't go anywhere, just hang out on the inside, it's beautiful.
4. See a Broadway show -- I recommend Avenue Q, which is a show comprising filthy-mouthed puppets. Or Wicked.
5. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge -- bucket list sort of thing.
6. Grimaldi's Pizza -- again, bucket list entry. Protip: don't wait in line for 1.5 hours like the dopes. Call up, ask for takeout, then walk past the morons waiting in line (ido not feed the hipsters) grab your pizza and go.

thanks for the pro-tips Krogenar! Especially #6! :)

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 16:43:26 »
^ No Empire State Building ? :/
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 17:32:36 »
I'm moving to New York (from Italy) for one month starting next week. I found out too late that the place where I'm staying has a ****ty internet connection (shared in the building) and I'm looking for alternatives.

What would be the best way to have a reliable internet connection for just one month? I was thinking to get a portable 4G repeater, but I don't seem to be able to find one with just 1 month contract. The alternative would be to get a pre-paid SIM for my cellphone but they seem to be all capped to 2GB and sometimes they don't allow tethering.

Suggestions anyone?

THANKS!

https://ting.com/
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 17:44:21 »

Been there. Not that impressive.

Grimaldis is actually right by my school, and HOLY 4 HOUR WAIT.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 19:51:34 »

Its Meh.
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 01:25:07 »
oh and the Guggenheim of course!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 11:05:00 »
oh and the Guggenheim of course!

I love the Guggenheim. It's a beautiful building.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 11:08:31 »
I'm a huge fan of Chelsea Market, Chinatown, and the Museum of Natural History. And anything food related :D

Offline Lanx

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 12:34:50 »
just buy this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/4g-no-contract-mobile-hotspot/2380066.p?id=1218323855534&skuId=2380066&st=hotspot&cp=1&lp=1

then buy these fill up cards
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Email-Delivery-T-Mobile-Monthly4G-50-Unlimited-Talk-Unlimited-Text-and-Unlimited-Web-access-first-100-MB-at-up-to-4G-speeds/15443360

buy a mobile hotspot and fill it up with a $50 one month service, i did the same thing in italy with vodaphone, you can do it with t-mobile.

t-mobile isn't the "best" service, but it doesn't matter in nyc cuz you'll get reception everywhere and you'll have unlimited internet for a month.

verizon has one as well but i think it's 30bucks for 1.5gigs, everyone else has "contract"

also you're in nyc, not crappy ass italy with wifi. You can literally be in any store and get free wifi in ny, last i checked times square has a wifi zone.

this way you can pair your smart phone and use google maps where ever you go

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 12:48:53 »
just buy this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/4g-no-contract-mobile-hotspot/2380066.p?id=1218323855534&skuId=2380066&st=hotspot&cp=1&lp=1

then buy these fill up cards
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Email-Delivery-T-Mobile-Monthly4G-50-Unlimited-Talk-Unlimited-Text-and-Unlimited-Web-access-first-100-MB-at-up-to-4G-speeds/15443360

buy a mobile hotspot and fill it up with a $50 one month service, i did the same thing in italy with vodaphone, you can do it with t-mobile.

t-mobile isn't the "best" service, but it doesn't matter in nyc cuz you'll get reception everywhere and you'll have unlimited internet for a month.

verizon has one as well but i think it's 30bucks for 1.5gigs, everyone else has "contract"

also you're in nyc, not crappy ass italy with wifi. You can literally be in any store and get free wifi in ny, last i checked times square has a wifi zone.

this way you can pair your smart phone and use google maps where ever you go

Thanks, I'll look into it. The problem is not when I'm on the go but when I'm at home. Unfortunately I'll have to work few hours per day and I need a reliable connection.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 21:42:19 »
then knock on your neighbor's door. They might be willing to share their WiFi if you ask, and offer to pay them for a month of access. :)

this might work... actually :)

I did this last summer when my rommate cancelled the internet without telling me. The illegal option is to get reaver as nearly all wpa2 ap's are wps

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 13:40:33 »
I'm finally in what will be my home for the next month :) They told me newyorkers were rude but I must say that everyone is very kind and friendly (starting from the custom officer that greeted me with "howdy"). I'm having a great experience so far.

The internet connection in the building seems half decent but it keeps dropping me out if I use a VPN...