Author Topic: Moving to US for 1 month  (Read 14431 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Moving to US for 1 month
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 13:44:09 »
Awww yeah. Matt3o is now a New Yorker! :D

Offline vyshane

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 20:28:31 »
^ No Empire State Building ? :/

Better view from Top of the Rock.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 06:54:03 »
^ No Empire State Building ? :/

Better view from Top of the Rock.

Agreed! Top of the Rock has now sort of replaced the Empire State Building as the place to go to see the city from above. If you're into architecture and design, Matt, then you should take one of the tours of Rockefeller Center, there's a lot of interesting history behind the building. For example, IIRC, the building didn't earn a profit for 50 years, but the Rockefellers were so fantastically rich that it didn't even matter.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 07:06:05 »
thank you guys for all the tips! keep them coming :) Yesterday I tried to find a ticket to the NYCC, but it wasn't really possible :) But I took this nice pic anyway :) so it wasn't a complete fiasco

then heading to Times Square I had to install an AD blocker.

Offline blighty

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 08:48:07 »
At some point, take the Staten Island ferry.  It's a free boat ride to Staten Island (which there isn't much to write home about) with a nice view of the Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty, and New Jersey.  It's a 25-30 minute ride each way. 
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 12:47:35 »
does anyone know where I can get geeky stickers in NY?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 12:54:08 »
ME

you settled in matt3o?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 13:09:54 »

I don't know if they have stickers, but I think the sort of swag you want might best be found down on Prince Street -- a shop called 'Kid Robot'. EDIT: Here's a link: http://www.kidrobot.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=kid%20robot&utm_campaign=Kidrobot%20Brand&gclid=CJmmkcn9oLoCFZGf4Aodq2AAMg

You might also like this one store named Evolution (I make their banner) -- they're a taxidermy shop. Buy yourself a stuffed Jackelope[/quote] to take home with you.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 14:06:24 »
ME

you settled in matt3o?

pretty much yes. gosh this city is expensive :P or maybe I'm going the wrong places...

so far I had the worst coffee and the worst pizza of my life :D

I don't know if they have stickers, but I think the sort of swag you want might best be found down on Prince Street -- a shop called 'Kid Robot'. EDIT: Here's a link: http://www.kidrobot.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=kid%20robot&utm_campaign=Kidrobot%20Brand&gclid=CJmmkcn9oLoCFZGf4Aodq2AAMg

You might also like this one store named Evolution (I make their banner) -- they're a taxidermy shop. Buy yourself a stuffed Jackelope
to take home with you.
[/quote]

thanks! I'll check them both

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 14:35:34 »
ME

you settled in matt3o?

pretty much yes. gosh this city is expensive :P or maybe I'm going the wrong places...

so far I had the worst coffee and the worst pizza of my life :D

You might also like this one store named Evolution (I make their banner) -- they're a taxidermy shop. Buy yourself a stuffed Jackelope
to take home with you.

thanks! I'll check them both
[/quote]

if you're near the tourist areas its gonna be expensive
but actuality everything in manhattan is expensive.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 14:45:47 »
Yeah, it's very expensive, and the tourist traps even more so.

Oh, and since you're Italian, don't miss The Olive Garden in Times Square -- it'll feel just like home, with all that authentic Italian food!

39817-0

Their breadsticks are incredible.

/troll
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 14:49:06 »
I totally need to cover this macbook I bought with geeky stickers but so far I've only found "I love NY" and "NYPD" ones.

I was looking for something like this http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Umbrella-Parking-Bumper-Sticker/dp/B004FP378I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382125448&sr=8-3 or star wars related. I know I can get them on internet but I can't believe there are no sticker shops around here :)

Oh, and since you're Italian, don't miss The Olive Garden in Times Square -- it'll feel just like home, with all that authentic Italian food!

oh gosh Times Square... I've been there twice and that's enough for my whole life! :D

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 14:54:45 »
I totally need to cover this macbook I bought with geeky stickers but so far I've only found "I love NY" and "NYPD" ones.

I was looking for something like this http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Umbrella-Parking-Bumper-Sticker/dp/B004FP378I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382125448&sr=8-3 or star wars related. I know I can get them on internet but I can't believe there are no sticker shops around here :)

It's hard to make rent selling stickers. Never heard of a sticker store in NYC, but you'll see a lot of funky stickers on lampposts, etc., if you looks hard enough. There are comic book stores, manga places, etc. -- they might have stickers. Also check out Forbidden Planet (comic shop) and Strand Bookstore -- pretty huge place. There's also a MakerBot store somewhere downtown as well. I don't know if they have stickers, though.

Quote from: Matt

oh gosh Times Square... I've been there twice and that's enough for my whole life! :D

Hah, I love it. So much excess energy, it's awesome. Make sure you see at least one Broadway show while you're in NYC.
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 15:01:44 »

It's hard to make rent selling stickers. Never heard of a sticker store in NYC, but you'll see a lot of funky stickers on lampposts, etc., if you looks hard enough. There are comic book stores, manga places, etc. -- they might have stickers. Also check out Forbidden Planet (comic shop) and Strand Bookstore -- pretty huge place. There's also a MakerBot store somewhere downtown as well. I don't know if they have stickers, though.

I've been at midtown comics but found nothing interesting. Forbidden planet is in my to-do list. A friend of mine a while back told me about a nice place in Lafayette that sells stickers but he can't remember where it is or the name. I think they also cut custom stickers out of vinyl. Anyway I will probably end up ordering them from the web.

Yesterday we were at the Top of the rock. Pretty impressive stuff... also the Lego store was nice :)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 15:13:23 »
iirc the makerbot store is in brooklyn

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 15:18:07 »
If you want good Pizza, hit up Keste
http://kestepizzeria.com/

I was just there this past Sat after going to IEM/NYCC.  my buddy and i went there because they serve Gluten Free Pizza which my buddy's gluten allergy needs.  I had normal Pie and it was amaaaaaaazing.

Its a small little restaurant, so if you're just looking to get pizza, i'd get Take Out.
Be advised the Pie is not very large, maybe 8" in diameter.  Each of my buddies basically ate a pie themselves along with me =)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 15:24:54 »
I was just there this past Sat after going to IEM/NYCC.

oh gosh I tried to get in the NYCC but the tickets were sold out looong ago!

Thanks for the suggestion about the pizzeria.

definitely in my must-see things in NYC

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 15:33:57 »

Yeah i got my NYCC pass 1st day they were on sale
TBH, you didn't miss much, it was very underwhelming compared to last year.

if you're gonna head to brooklyn, head to Fette Sau BBQ
http://www.fettesaubbq.com/

Its literally Food Coma BBQ =)
Love the Ribs and Pulled Pork

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 17:21:25 »

http://www.makerbot.com/retail-store/
T:    +1.347.457.5758
A:    298 Mulberry St. NY,NY 10012
H:    Mon-Sat 12-7pm | Sun 12-6pm

Mulberry Street!  :thumb:

More

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 17:31:11 »
I've got some extra stickers lying around. If you want a "local" one, I've got that. We can just meet up and I can give it to you (and show off my keyboard collection)
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 17:53:42 »

oh man! when you go, you're going to have to say hi to everyone for me. josh S. jason S. RAY C. of course! hell just say hi to all the CSRs for me :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 21:07:54 »
I've got some extra stickers lying around. If you want a "local" one, I've got that. We can just meet up and I can give it to you (and show off my keyboard collection)

where are you in NY?

oh man! when you go, you're going to have to say hi to everyone for me. josh S. jason S. RAY C. of course! hell just say hi to all the CSRs for me :)

LOL! will do! :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 October 2013, 21:18:37 by Matt3o »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 12:38:15 »
I'm in Brooklyn. PM me for more details.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 16:37:57 »
thanks for the suggestions guys.

I've taken the ferry to staten island today and it was a really nice ride.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 16:56:45 »
Man, this brings back nice memories. Been almost a decade since I have been to NY for holiday.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 23:53:14 »

did staten island smell? =P

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 06:57:44 »

did staten island smell? =P

LOL, poor Staten Island. It's in NY, but when you say, "I'm going to Staten Island this weekend." you might as well be saying, "I'm going to Io ... Jupiter's volcanically active moon." Geographically, it's not far away -- but in terms of driving there, it might as well be Norway. But without the fjords.
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 08:54:38 »
don't really know about Staten Island... I took the ferry back to manhattan 2 mins after docking... :D

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 12:20:35 »
don't really know about Staten Island... I took the ferry back to manhattan 2 mins after docking... :D

you didn't miss much lol.
Staten Island is the Butthole of NYC

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 12:51:36 »
Matt3o -- if you're still looking for stickers, may I suggest the following:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e6e8/?srp=7

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 12:59:29 »
thanks mashby, I've found this website that seems pretty good www.redbubble.com/products/stickers

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:29:00 »
thanks mashby, I've found this website that seems pretty good www.redbubble.com/products/stickers

^^ I so just bought some stickers!! (And got ~$9 for signing up and got moar stickers! ~16 for ~$16 all in all) Thanks for the link.

Hope your enjoying NY!
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:09:49 by SpAmRaY »