Author Topic: Keyboardio Kickstarter is NOW + Meetups in 23 cities  (Read 15047 times)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
Re: Keyboardio Kickstarter is NOW + Meetups in 23 cities
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 21:10:16 »
Hopefully I can see y'all (...er, you) in Austin on the 28th. It's my wife's birthday so forgive me if I cannot make it.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:44:16 »
I'll be at the Louisville meet this Saturday. I've already RSVP'ed on the meetup page and I posted an invitation in offtopic a day or two ago.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 23:11:13 »
Congrats on hitting the mark! It is just one of many with this :)

I played with the prototype at one of the SF meetups, that was a highpoint.

Outstanding methodology with the criss-crossing of 'merica, and promoting the GH way. I'm jelly.

Good luck with the trip and take/post pics in a dedicated thread!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 11:26:10 »
these keycaps are regrettably impossible for most of us to swap out. Something that discourages every geek buyer.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 12:26:37 »
these keycaps are regrettably impossible for most of us to swap out. Something that discourages every geek buyer.

Amazingly, there are six people who bought a $1000 mahogany board and 883 non-mahogany boards that were sold.  :eek:
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 13:32:30 »

I'm not really sure why you would want to swap them out... every cap on that board is custom sculpted, that's one of it's coolest features!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 17:54:52 »
Tomorrow. Louisville. 1600 EST. You. Obra. The butterfly keyboard. Who's gonna show up? I'll probably drag some boards along with me. Maybe we'll go to the Barcade after. Maybe there will be ice cream. Let's hang out and tell Obra how it should've been a heart, not a butterfly.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 18:14:49 »

I'm not really sure why you would want to swap them out... every cap on that board is custom sculpted, that's one of it's coolest features!

Will he have blank sets available for those who will want to reconfigure their layouts?

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 18:51:26 »
If a jd40 or 45 wasn't on my current list of must haves then this would be very tempting.   This looks like it is going to generate a lot of orders.   The custom molded key caps are really interesting.

Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 20:06:15 »
I'll be there. I've got a Model F, Das Pro S, Rapoo V500, AEK II, M0116, Fujitsu, and Focus FK-2001. Not sure which I'm going to bring though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 22:40:16 »
I'll be there. I've got a Model F, Das Pro S, Rapoo V500, AEK II, M0116, Fujitsu, and Focus FK-2001. Not sure which I'm going to bring though.

I'm curious about that Rapoo board. Anything of mine you'd like me to bring?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 23:35:33 »
There's nothing that I'm really all that interested in other than trying out Topre. I really want to see if the hype lives up to its name.  :p I'm thinking of bringing the Rapoo, the Model F, and the Fujitsu.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 23:37:44 »
I'll bring a Topre board and some Alps stuff then :).

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 23:41:56 »
Who's coming out to Ann Arbor on Tuesday? It starts late enough that I can make it out after work. I'll more than likely take my Kingsaver and RF10AE if people are coming out/interested
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 15:59:10 »
Anyone here coming to the Austin, TX meetup?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 16:25:44 »

Out here in Louisville playing keyboards again!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 17:50:33 »
Great to see everyone in Louisville today!  :thumb:

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 18:32:24 »
tfw I missed the only keyboard convention that will ever take place in North Carolina.

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 00:09:00 »

Will he have blank sets available for those who will want to reconfigure their layouts?

Yes. We're working on custom laser-engraved sets, too.
We're not sure about pricing yet, but it should, hopefully, be surprisingly attractive.

Offline Ghibli

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 01:12:35 »
Where have you been all my life.

Offline rumpl

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 11:32:21 »
Obra, I was wondering why you'd only put 4 thumb keys on the keyboard and not 5?
See:

Those 2 extra keys on the thumb "row" are easily reached* and it would be so cool to have an extra layer key, or any kind of key, on that row.

* If we take a regular keyboard for instance, a touch typist can still comfortably reach the left Alt key using his left thumb. The left Alt key, compared to the modified Model 01 image above, is even farther away from the thumb without leaving the home row. Similarly, the Ergodox has only four comfortable thumb keys, you can see that they're almost as far away from the thumb as the alt key of a regular keyboard:

My question is, what was your reasoning against putting that extra key? There's plenty of space, looks like it would perfectly fit in there...

I hope it wasn't because of aesthetics or that the number of keys had to be a exponentiation with base 2.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2015, 11:39:45 by rumpl »

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 11:35:03 »
Obra, I was wondering why you'd only put 4 thumb keys on the keyboard and not 5?
See:

Show Image

Those 2 extra keys on the thumb "row" are easily reached* and it would be so cool to have an extra layer key, or any kind of key, on that row.

* If we take a regular keyboard for instance, a touch typist can still comfortably reach the left Alt key using his left thumb. The left Alt key, compared to the modified Model 01 image above, is even farther away from the thumb. Similarly, the Ergodox has only four comfortable thumb keys, you can see that they're almost as far away from the thumb as the alt key of a regular keyboard:

Show Image

My question is, what was your reasoning against putting that extra key? There's plenty of space, looks like it would perfectly fit in there...

I hope it wasn't because of aesthetics or that the number of keys had to be a exponentiation with base 2.

I don't think space is the issue... I think it's just the ergonomics and position of the keys.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rumpl

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 11:44:22 »
See:

Show Image

* If we take a regular keyboard for instance, a touch typist can still comfortably reach the left Alt key using his left thumb. The left Alt key, compared to the modified Model 01 image above, is even farther away from the thumb. Similarly, the Ergodox has only four comfortable thumb keys, you can see that they're almost as far away from the thumb as the alt key of a regular keyboard:

Show Image

I don't think space is the issue... I think it's just the ergonomics and position of the keys.

That's what I've been trying to say. That extra key would still be comfortable. Thus, it would be ergonomic.

I made a mistake there. Comfortability does not necessarily equal Ergonomy.

Regarding the keyboardio, I do not think there'd be any problem though.

To be completely honest, I have not tried out the Model 01 personally, nor have I ever used an Ergodox (I have been saving money for it actually, until the Model 01 has been announced, which I plan on getting now instead of the Ergodox).

However, I did print out a 1:1 scale on paper of the Ergodox and played around with it (a lot). Those 4 thumb keys (see the previous Ergodox image) are fairly reachable.

That fifth key on the Model 01 would still be far better off than those of the Ergodox, in terms of comfortable position. That is what I believe.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2015, 13:44:24 by rumpl »

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 14:15:28 »
We had a 5th key on a number of the prototypes. We actually had six on a few. We couldn't get them positioned comfortably for most users. Even 4 is too much of a stretch for some folks with 19mm spacing. (We'll be tightening up the arc some for production.)

There's also the side issue that it's a lot easier to distinguish 4 keys by feel than 5.

Offline rumpl

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 16:43:01 »
We had a 5th key on a number of the prototypes. We actually had six on a few. We couldn't get them positioned comfortably for most users. Even 4 is too much of a stretch for some folks with 19mm spacing. (We'll be tightening up the arc some for production.)

There's also the side issue that it's a lot easier to distinguish 4 keys by feel than 5.

Good. I trust you to do the right thing.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 09:08:19 »
http://hypebeast.com/2015/6/the-model-01-redefines-the-typing-experience

Look what I stumbled upon. Turns out there's no mention of mechanical switches in the video.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 11:53:31 »
Those comments make me cringe.  :(

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 12:57:30 »

Never read the comments.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 21:52:09 »
After seeing the first 2 days of kickstart results, my estimate was that you’d hit 1500–2000 keyboards preordered by the end. Looks like you’re right on track, at about ~1350 so far. Hope you see a surge in the last couple days, but either way looks like it should be enough orders to at least cover costs and not bankrupt anyone.

Then hopefully production goes smoothly, people get their keyboards faster than expected and rave reviews start coming in, and you can make some profit on v1.1, with the keycap tooling and much of the other design/development work all paid for. :-)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:45:29 »
Congrats to Obra and Kaia for a successful Kickstarter backing!! It was wonderful to finally meet you both and talk keyboards and barbeque! Can't wait to see how much people love their Model 01s and for me to play with my screwdriver :D

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:54:23 »
Wow.  Great to see the Kickstarter succeeded.  Congrats.  Is this the highest funding for a keyboard yet?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:55:05 »
Thanks, guys!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 19:17:59 »

Never read the comments.

Just read the sales numbers.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 10:12:05 »
Congrats again guys! These are going to be awesome. ...Especially the clicky ones. XD
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.