Author Topic: Guns  (Read 14702 times)

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 12:20:18 »
Since there are many people from the US on this forum, I would like to know how many of you have guns. I'm a big fan of guns although I don't own any. I have had a chance to shoot a rifle/shotgun/pistol once (each time) and it was very cool. I don't like hunting just target shooting. I was on the point of applying for my license when I learned that my wife was pregnant. I dropped this idea since I don't want to have a gun an a growing child in the same house.

Offline msiegel

Guns
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 12:43:51 »
i don't, but the idea of having big chunks of lead around the house (even old solder) -- that stuff has to be kept well away from kids :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 12:48:21 »
Quote from: msiegel;126395
i don't, but the idea of having big chunks of lead around the house (even old solder) -- that stuff has to be kept well away from kids :)

True. There are so many things to keep away from kids including bleach and medecine.

Offline msiegel

Guns
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 12:51:24 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;126398
True. There are so many things to keep away from kids including bleach and medecine.

kids have that innate need to put everything in their mouths :) it served better when we lived in the forest and they could safely eat dirt without anyone worrying about modern chemicals...

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Guns
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 13:39:10 »
Quote from: webwit;126421
You are not a true American. Are you a communist, a terrorist, or a liberal?

I'm a moderate and I do not approve this message.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline TWX

Guns
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 13:42:20 »
Well, if I had any guns, I certainly wouldn't be posting about them on the Internet...
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline o2dazone

Guns
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 14:05:28 »
Quote from: ripster;126415
You must think Americans all walk around packing heat!  I don't but if you want to get it out of your system Las Vegas has plenty of firing ranges where you basically "Rent A Bazooka" and get it out of your system.

It's true. And if you put down enough bills, you can fire live rounds and real people!

Offline kode

Guns
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 15:13:41 »
The most dangerous game...

Well, I'm not an american but I do have firearms for hunting. 2 shotguns I don't really use (I might get rid of the cylinder repeating one and get an over/under one instead, and try and do some clay shooting sometime), a "swedish mauser" (model 96) in 6.5x55 and a Husqvarna 1640 in 8x57. I don't ever get enough practice with them, though. I'd love to have the time and money to be really good at hitting where I'm aiming.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 15:48:36 »
You must think Americans all walk around packing heat!  I don't but if you want to get it out of your system Las Vegas has plenty of firing ranges where you basically "Rent A Bazooka" and get it out of your system.

I did not say that. I just know that the American constitution allows for gun possession. I may be wrong, but I don't know the American constitution that well. I heard about the shooting ranges in Las Vegas. Never been South of the border though. We might head down next year after my baby has grown up a bit. We have a relative in Atlanta. In fact, my wife was supposed to go there this month, but because of the H1N1 threat being greater for my baby, we decided to postpone the trip. If she was going there, I would have had my Topre delivered there and not pay taxes like when it was delivered.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 15:50:39 »
Quote from: TWX;126426
Well, if I had any guns, I certainly wouldn't be posting about them on the Internet...

I'm pretty sure there must a forum talking about guns just like there's one talking about keyboards :-)

Offline AndrewZorn

Guns
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 15:51:42 »
I just know that the American constitution allows for gun possession.
we americans need more people like you

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 15:55:55 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;126451
we americans need more people like you

Don't take what I said out of context LOL. I also said " may be wrong, but I don't know the American constitution that well."

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 16:00:16 »
From MacRumors forum:

Incident 1
I was followed into the parking lot once when leaving a Best Buy with a camcorder. Since I had been at the firing range before stopping at Best Buy, I was wearing a holster with a 45 in it ( I have a concealed carry permit.) When I realized I was being "cased" I pulled off my jacket so the individual could see my pistol. I glanced over my shoulder while getting in and noticed he was beating a hasty retreat! I hate to think I need to carry a weapon when I go shopping, but that is the way it is in some places. I guess I will take a pistol when I go pick up my wife's new MBP this weekend.

Incident 2
Just carry a concealed firearm or go with someone that does. I always go out with a concealed Glock Model #27 .40 (installed with Laser-Max Laser). I had some nut follow my wife and I to our vehicle around X-Mas '07, he told me to give him my bags or he was going to "make me bleed", I turned around and he had a red laser-dot illuminating his head. He said he was "joking" and thought I was his "friend" (OK!), he turned and ran back through the parking lot. In this day and age with the economy and people quite desperate you can't take chances.

Now, once again don't take me out of context. I just found these comments funny that's all :-)

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 16:04:25 »
Quote from: kode;126445

Well, I'm not an american but I do have firearms for hunting. 2 shotguns I don't really use (I might get rid of the cylinder repeating one and get an over/under one instead, and try and do some clay shooting sometime), a "swedish mauser" (model 96) in 6.5x55 and a Husqvarna 1640 in 8x57. I don't ever get enough practice with them, though. I'd love to have the time and money to be really good at hitting where I'm aiming.

The first time I fire a centre fire rifle, the instructor gave me a demo. I then blew my first shot. My second shot was one millimetre away from his. Not knowing this, he was making fun of me in front of everyone else only for me to make fun of him after :-) I admit that it's not easy to become good at hitting targets without a lot of practice. It may look easy to hold a rifle and to fire, but in practice it's not that easy if one does not have much practice.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Guns
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 16:12:08 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;126455
I hate to think I need to carry a weapon when I go shopping, but that is the way it is in some places.

Find a better place to shop. Case closed.

Offline Rajagra

Guns
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 16:42:55 »
Quote from: ch_123;126458
Find a better place to shop. Case closed.

Like Canada? :-)

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 16:45:37 »
Quote from: Rajagra;126459
Like Canada? :-)

I'm in no mood to be messed with today. My favourite team in England lost today (hint: balloon). Be thankful I don't own a gun :-)

Offline TWX

Guns
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 18:32:17 »
Okay some context...

I live east of Phoenix.  I see regular people open-carrying maybe twice a year, exempting employees of pawn shops which stock firearms.  Obviously pretty much every uniformed cop is open-carrying, and a couple of times I've seen plainclothes cops with badges on lanyards open-carrying too.

Obviously I do not know if people are carrying concealed, but if lots of people are they're not carrying in a particularly accessible location.  The weather is too hot here for sport coats most of the time.

I've spoken with a couple of police officers who've discussed times when they were radioed to go speak to someone who was open-carrying.  Both officers said that they pulled up, talked to the individual who was reported, concluded that there was no problem, and drove off satisfied.  One of the officers said that it seems like most of the people who call to report someone open-carrying don't know that it's legal in Arizona, like they moved here from back east.

The chances of you on a visit seeing someone not involved in law enforcement carrying a gun is pretty small, at least here.  On visits to other cities (LA, San Francisco, Boston, Honolulu, San Diego, Tucson)  I've never seen anyone open-carry either.  I can't speak about Atlanta specifically, because I'm limited to their oh-so-lovely airport...
TWX

Offline TWX

Guns
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 18:36:20 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;126460
I'm in no mood to be messed with today. ...  Be thankful I don't own a gun :-)

I never joke that way personally, because I take firearms ownership and the right for private ownership to be legal and only lightly regulated very seriously.  On top of that, I know a guy who was fired from his job because in a fit of frustration he commented something to the effect of, "It's a good thing I don't have my gun."  No charges, police probably weren't even called, but he walked out later that day.
TWX

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 18:43:53 »
Quote from: TWX;126476
I never joke that way personally, because I take firearms ownership and the right for private ownership to be legal and only lightly regulated very seriously.  On top of that, I know a guy who was fired from his job because in a fit of frustration he commented something to the effect of, "It's a good thing I don't have my gun."  No charges, police probably weren't even called, but he walked out later that day.

You're right. I should have thought twice before joking about this. I should have known better for when I have had a gun in my hand, I've always pointed it down respecting the rule "Never point to anything you don't intend to shoot."

I was just thinking that Rajagra would have a greater chance knowing what I was trying to say. I wanted to joke so badly that I forgot I was talking about firearms.

My apologies.

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 07:49:57 »
I'm from Texas.

I'm preparing for the Great War of Texan Independence in 2010.  Yee Haw, motherfu*kers

I am a liberal.  I don't have any guns.   I hate our conceal/carry law.  Hunting's cool, though.  If Texas tries to seceed, I am packing my ****, and heading to Europe.

Offline MsKeyboard

Guns
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 11:50:34 »
This event was "attended" over the weekend.  Held twice a year, deep in the desert of Arizona.  No way to really describe the experience.

Hope the link works!

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">[/youtube]
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2009, 11:59:52 by MsKeyboard »

Offline MsKeyboard

Guns
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 11:58:59 »
Sorry, we'll try this

[youtube> type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">[/youtube]

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 12:00:14 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;126889
This event was "attended" over the weekend.  Held twice a year, deep in the desert of Arizona.  No way to really describe the experience.

Hope the link works!

> type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">

All I can say is wow!

Offline MsKeyboard

Guns
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 12:26:21 »
R. Lee Emery does a show on History Channel called "Mail Call" where he goes out and shows off vintage and new military weapons.  He did a show at this location two weeks ago, and films several throughout the year here.  This shoot is mostly fans of vintage machine guns and such, but a extremely respectful and friendly group, or so I'm told :)

Offline pfink

Guns
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 18:27:04 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;126906
R. Lee Emery does a show on History Channel called "Mail Call" where he goes out and shows off vintage and new military weapons.  He did a show at this location two weeks ago, and films several throughout the year here.  This shoot is mostly fans of vintage machine guns and such, but a extremely respectful and friendly group, or so I'm told :)

I don't think "Mail Call" is still being produced. R. Lee Ermey's current show on History Channel is called "Lock 'N' Load".

Offline MsKeyboard

Guns
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 18:55:04 »
I like the beer stein, great weapon and peace negotiator!

Later.....

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Guns
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 19:00:44 »
You must think Americans all walk around packing heat!

Naturally, foreigners might get that idea, since the United States is, these days, about the only developed nation in which private citizens could possibly have most kinds of firearms.

In Canada, not only is it normally not possible for an ordinary private citizen to obtain a permit for a handgun, but we are planning to set up a national registry even for the rifles and shotguns which farmers own, let alone urban residents who go out to the countryside to hunt.

In Switzerland, it is true the citizens have guns - but they must account for their use, and it is not legal to use them against burglars and the like; they are, in effect, emergency equipment for use in national defence.

Most countries have gun restrictions stricter than those in Canada.

What many foreigners don't realize is that even in the U.S., despite the Second Amendment, many cities and states restrict gun ownership and use. Thus, one state had the slogan "use a gun, go to jail" - because they had enacted a statute with no exceptions, so that a woman could not even legally use a gun in defence of her honor.

I find this incomprehensible and inhumane; preventing a rape from being committed should simply take precedence over all other laws, the same way as preventing a repeition of the events of September 11, 2001. At least in the proximate case. Rounding up innocent people who "might" be terorrists is, of course, the wrong thing to do.

There are those who feel, of course, that Guantanamo comes uncomfortably close to that. The reason that the "you have the right to remain silent" is called a Miranda warning is because Miranda is the surname of a rapist turned loose by the courts because the police didn't warn him of his rights. So it's hard for me to condemn Bush or others out of hand for not trusting the court system to turn a terrorist loose, condemning thousands of innocent people to death, because of a technicality. It's not as if things almost as bad haven't already happened.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Guns
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 19:04:50 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;126455
Now, once again don't take me out of context. I just found these comments funny that's all :-)

It's certainly unusual that such things happen with any frequency. But it's a pity in both cases that the people frightened off weren't instead taken into police custody, convicted, and then fully rehabilitated in some fashion so as to eliminate the possiblity that they would make nuisances of themselves to an unarmed citizen.

Offline MsKeyboard

Guns
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 19:11:33 »
I have a friend who is a police officer in a fairly popular vacation destination.  He is always asked to pose with people because they want a picture with someone openly carrying a firearm in public, not something they are used to seeing in their own area.

I grew up in a hunting family, and never really understood that gun ownership or the right to carry one was something not universally recognized.  Though I can say that being in a state that allows openly carrying a firearm does not automatically mean you will see one on a regular basis, but when you do it really is not that big of a deal.

Just remember to leave them home before you go crossing borders, north or south!

Offline InSanCen

Guns
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 19:16:40 »
Aha.. guns. A fairly controversial subject in the UK. Me and the missus will likely never agree.

When I lived in the states, I owned a few (I still technically do, they are at my Mum's place, apart from the S-16 I imported a while back). I hunted (for Venison, not sport), and was educated in their proper use.

My missus however, grew up a few miles from Dunblane (non-uk, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre ). To her (less so these days, but still), all guns are bad, military being the exception.

I have tried to reason with her that a gun on it's own does no damage, it needs an idiot behind it to do damage. I suspect she will tolerate at best. I doubt we will ever move to the states with common gun ownership being the prime reason.

As an aside, the guns I owned were a custom made 30.06 (more accurate than me, not that much range though. Great for use in Hides), Logun S-16 (Okay, more of an air rifle, and is now in this country with me after acquireing my FAC, and is my baby), and an old unknown remington over and under.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline MsKeyboard

Guns
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 19:19:39 »
Around here we have saying, "an armed society is a polite society".

Offline InSanCen

Guns
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 19:34:39 »
I agree... I think.

I grew up around guns (My Grandfather was a gamekeeper, and taught me to shoot). I learned about and shot a larger variety of weapons when I was in the US (Including a minigun at knob creek, short, expensive, but made my 15yr old day).

I think the UK's approach to guns (Ban pretty much everything) is too restrictive, as your average idiot/criminal is not goign to be affected by legislation in any way other than the supply is smaller (Though Re-Activated guns are fairly common in places). I also think the US's approach (I know some states are different, this is more of a generalisation), of "wait a few day" is too lax.

I think that a screening of some sort, other than criminal record checks, and also education are a necessary evil (The Education is not evil, but common sense IMHO). Some people, though not intentionally murderous/criminal, should not be allowed to handle weapons of any sort, leta lone the kind it takes relatively little skill to use fatally. Some people are just plain stupid.

Considering most of my Firearm education was at a pretty young age, I'm surprised how mature I was about Firearms considering my lack of regard to almost anything else at that age (I was the poster child for ADHD). I am also surprised how much I retained when it came to apply for my FAC (Firearms Certificate, required for *any* gun ownership in the UK) over here. The Examiner was quite impressed, and also loved the S-16 (Having never shot one before) to the point he bought a second-hand one a few months later.

tl;dr
Guns are great, but care needs to be taken about who get's to use them.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline MsKeyboard

Guns
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 19:53:32 »
As with most everything in life, all things in moderation, and a health dose of respect goes a long way.

Offline ehird

Guns
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 20 October 2009, 22:57:42 »
Quote from: kode;126445

More seriously,

Quote from: MsKeyboard;127065
Around here we have saying, "an armed society is a polite society".

Can a society that needs the ever-present background threat of violence to be outwardly civil truly be called polite? I mean, granted, it may well result in a polite society in the simplest sense, but is it a good society?

Besides, in the situations it'd matter, I'd wager that a lot of the time, ignorance of the meaning of the words "mutual assured destruction" would come into play.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 20 October 2009, 23:49:49 »
Quote from: quadibloc;127057
It's certainly unusual that such things happen with any frequency. But it's a pity in both cases that the people frightened off weren't instead taken into police custody, convicted, and then fully rehabilitated in some fashion so as to eliminate the possiblity that they would make nuisances of themselves to an unarmed citizen.

True. Who knows? Maybe they found other victims later in the same day. Just guessing though.

Offline AndrewZorn

Guns
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 20 October 2009, 23:54:14 »
imagine a society with no guns, at all... wow how nice for everyone to be equal

...but that cant happen, since the bad guys will get them

so, how do you make it equal again?

yes, it is unfortunate.  but gun laws only stop abiding citizens from being at the same level as the threat.
no matter how much people hate nukes, we will stock them, because of other countries' capability to have them.
i dont see how anyone can see how gun laws are any different.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 20 October 2009, 23:55:51 »
Quote from: InSanCen;127071

Guns are great, but care needs to be taken about who get's to use them.

I think so too. I've always shown great respect whenever I have had one in my hands. I think how one approaches gun possession is very important. That being said, I'm also honest with myself in knowing that anger can be deadly.

As long as I'm not confident I will be able safely/securely store my guns without my child getting access to them I won't get a gun.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 20 October 2009, 23:57:20 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;127326

yes, it is unfortunate.  but gun laws only stop abiding citizens from being at the same level as the threat.
no matter how much people hate nukes, we will stock them, because of other countries' capability to have them.
i dont see how anyone can see how gun laws are any different.

This reminds me: door locks are for honest people :-) Seriously, you can easily get into most houses in Canada. All you have to do is break the glass, and unlock the dead bolt.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Guns
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 22 October 2009, 17:46:23 »

By making it as hard as possible for people to get guns? Works well where I live.

If what you are saying is true, there would be a direct proportionality between the strictness of gun laws, and the amount of gun crime being perpetrated on innocent people. The truth is that it's more like the other way around.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Guns
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 22 October 2009, 18:53:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;127697
If what you are saying is true, there would be a direct proportionality between the strictness of gun laws, and the amount of gun crime being perpetrated on innocent people. The truth is that it's more like the other way around.

Cause and effect need to be considered here.

In Canada, we have a large border with the United States, and we depend on the openness of that border for a large proportion of our export trade. So we won't be legalizing marijuana here before the Americans do. (Also, the people of the First Nations have special border-crossing privileges, and, indeed, some reserves straddle the border; this has led to armed gangs engaging in things like cigarette smuggling.)

But this also means that our strict gun laws are particularly ineffective in keeping guns out of the hands of real criminals. This doesn't mean that they're completely without benefit in reducing crime. One of their most dramatic benefits is in reducing the survival rate of police officers answering domestic violence complaints.

Those kinds of crime which depend on law-abiding citizens being helpless, like home invasions and carjackings, are indeed more likely in a generally unarmed society where criminals still can, and do, get guns relatively easily.

During the last round of gun-control legislation in Canada, one measure was thrown out as unconstitutional that would have made it much harder even for criminals to have guns - giving the police broad powers to search for illegal guns without a warrant.

Since the United Kingdom is an island, and Continental Europe is pretty much all agreed on the merits of strict gun control, it is easier for them to set their own policy effectively.

But the real variables which control how much crime a society suffers have to do with the opportunity people have to earn a decent living through honest work. When the economy is properly managed, and unemployment is low, crime is less prevalent, and the public, being more content, is willing to accept addressing such crime as remains through enlightened rehabilitative measures.

When there are economic problems, however, naturally people are against wasting scarce resources on criminals.

If you don't want people to be bitter, angry, and vengeful in temperament, ensure that they are contented. This is not rocket science, so I can only conclude that genuine material scarcities of some sort are limiting our governments' abilities to produce a correctly functioning economy.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 22 October 2009, 20:01:16 »
Quote from: quadibloc;127712
When the economy is properly managed, and unemployment is low, crime is less prevalent, and the public, being more content, is willing to accept addressing such crime as remains through enlightened rehabilitative measures.

True. Having more opportunities to earn a decent living does make crime less prevalent. It will not get rid of crime, but will lower it. During tough economic times, there are some who will prosper and some who not only will not prosper, but will be going down more and more. The gap between the two will cause envy and crime. Of course, there will always be some who regardless of the economic situation will prefer easy money.

Offline TWX

Guns
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 22 October 2009, 20:15:03 »
Disclaimer: I do not advocate revolt now in any way, shape, or form, and I also have never seen a need for revolt in my lifetime thus far.

One of the reasons the second amendment is there is to prevent a government from being tyrannical.  In that school of thought, private ownership of everything available to the military could be legal.  Now, I do not advocate for the wide-spread private ownership of rocket launchers, howitzers, tanks, mortars, and other incendiary/explosive weapons, but I do not generally have a problem with other military weapons in private hands, so long as those private owners obey the following:

• when the weapon isn't in your direct control on delegated to the direct control of a trusted individual it is stored secure against theft or accidental use.
  • Do not point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy outright.
  • Treat all firearms as if they are loaded
  • Do not introduce a firearm into a situation unless you are willing to kill.
  • Do not escalate a situation to where it requires a firearm.
  • Know the operation of your firearm and be competent with it.
If those who own firearms would follow those rules then there really wouldn't be any problems.  The problem is that so many people seem unwilling to follow these simple guidelines, making firearms ownership problematic.
TWX

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Guns
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 22 October 2009, 22:31:03 »
Quote from: TWX;127722
One of the reasons the second amendment is there is to prevent a government from being tyrannical.

And it's a reasonable one. The Nazi regime in Germany instituted gun control first, before they went to round up the Jews.

In Canada, we have a problem called "patronage". This is when a political party spends government money in ridings (constituencies, districts) that are most likely to be persuaded to continue electing members of that party in response to this.

This is due to our Parliamentary system of government: the Prime Minister, head of our nation's government, becomes so by virtue of being what you would call the House majority leader.

Members of parties serve in committees at the pleasure of their leaders, and the role of committees is purely advisory; they do work, they do not wield power.

Thus, if government money is spent in one part of the country, the people in the other parts of the country have a remedy: they can vote that government out of office.

In the American system, checks and balances make it more difficult for a President to turn the country into a dictatorship. While Senators and Representatives belong to the same parties as candidates for President, a President does not stop being President due to a non-confidence vote in the House of Representatives, nor does the President wield direct authority over the Senators and Representatives of his party.

Committees may delay legislation indefinitely or amend it, and committee membership derives from seniority.

So you Americans have the problem of "pork-barrel politics", where the person responsible for directing an excess of government funds to one district can only be voted out by the people who live in that district.

This, along with the problems caused in some environments by widespread gun ownership (it works just fine in rural areas, but in crowded, anonymous cities, in balance it usually does not reduce crime) are part of the price Americans pay to ensure some politician does not turn your country into a dictatorship.

Given the immense military power of the U.S., I tend to think that even if our system is usually more efficient, producing smoother results in the short term, this is a price worth paying for the sake of the world as a whole.

However, I don't see why you Americans need to continue denying yourselves universal health care.

Offline Rajagra

Guns
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 22 October 2009, 22:43:41 »

I'm not so sure. I think I'd rather be shot than stabbed to be honest. Knives can do some pretty nasty stuff. And knives don't run out of ammo.

Quote from: quadibloc;127738
However, I don't see why you Americans need to continue denying yourselves universal health care.

I've always thought Michael Moore was a bit of an ahole, but I saw his film Sicko recently. When he gathered those 9/11 heroes who couldn't get health treatment and pointed out what great health care the residents of Guantanamo Bay get, and then took the 9/11 heroes to Cuba where they got treatment on the spot and could buy the drugs they needed for under a dollar (when they cost hundreds of dollars back in the US) ... I have to admit I had a tear welling up in my eye.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Guns
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 23 October 2009, 04:47:30 »
Since the United Kingdom is an island, and Continental Europe is pretty much all agreed on the merits of strict gun control, it is easier for them to set their own policy effectively.

You do realize that Ireland has been independent of the United Kingdom since 1921, right? :P

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Guns
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 24 October 2009, 09:00:09 »
Quote from: ch_123;127769
You do realize that Ireland has been independent of the United Kingdom since 1921, right? :P

What would falsify the United Kingdom being an island is that Northern Ireland is still part of the United Kingdom. Before 1921, it was two islands. If one wishes to oversimplify, of course.

Offline roaduck

Guns
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 24 October 2009, 09:44:25 »
I last handled a real gun when I was fifteen in my friend's dad's back garden.It was a big place near the airport in the countryside of Cheshire and I had a go at shooting paintcans with a purdey double-barrelled shotgun and a high velocity sniper rifle - don't know what the make was or the bore but it was quite an experience and I felt more grown up at the time because they trusted me with a weapon.

Also we had a farm in Wales and a friend of my mum's left me shoot another powerfull rifle - I was only about eight but I was already tall at over five foot so I was allowed to "have a go" but not without expert and explicit instruction first.

Years later in Manchester I saw a lot of guns - UZI's, Kalashnikovs, Sig Sauers, Glocks, Brownings, automatic machine pistols - the lot brand new in cardboard boxes in greasproof paper being openly sold in pubs.It's easier to get a gun here than in London - it's mad because of the gang culture and prevalence of drug dealers - it's sad and it is one aspect of my city that I am not proud of at all.

After Dunblane gun control went over the top here I think.

I've got a friend from Mesa, Arizona and she's alone because her ex is in Livermore in CA and she doesn't feel safe because there is a lot of gun-heads near her and she's in an isolated surburb living in a big house on the outskirts of the desert more or less.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 October 2009, 10:16:21 by roaduck »
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Guns
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 24 October 2009, 11:43:00 »
Quote from: quadibloc;127996
What would falsify the United Kingdom being an island is that Northern Ireland is still part of the United Kingdom. Before 1921, it was two islands. If one wishes to oversimplify, of course.

And there's no shortage of guns in Northern Ireland, but that's a story for another day...

Offline TWX

Guns
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 00:10:11 »
Quote from: roaduck;127999

I've got a friend from Mesa, Arizona and she's alone because her ex is in Livermore in CA and she doesn't feel safe because there is a lot of gun-heads near her and she's in an isolated surburb living in a big house on the outskirts of the desert more or less.

I have lived and worked in Mesa over the years, and I lived in a terrible part of town when I called that city home.  I honestly didn't fear for guns nearly as much as I did for those with knives or improvised weapons, and then I was more worried about the meth heads than anyone else.
TWX

Offline roaduck

Guns
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 04:56:58 »
Quote from: TWX;128110
I have lived and worked in Mesa over the years, and I lived in a terrible part of town when I called that city home.  I honestly didn't fear for guns nearly as much as I did for those with knives or improvised weapons, and then I was more worried about the meth heads than anyone else.

Wow - small World TWX - I must ring Babs, my friend in Mesa and ask her what the current situation is there as regards crime etc.

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 00:11:43 »
The only guns I own are in games. lol

I have real katana and yari for home defense. lol  

However, if anyone knows where to buy a p90 for a reasonable price  I think it'd be pretty cool to have one, cause I love that gun in games, although I might think twice about buying the bullets for it. lol
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 00:27:33 »
Quote from: chimera15;128255
The only guns I own are in games. lol

I have real katana and yari for home defense. lol  

Wow! I've dreamed about a real Katana, but not for self-defence. I look at them as real pieces of art. Is it true that they are really three pieces of metal fused together by the actions of heating and hammering?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Guns
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 12:38:32 »
- Walther P22 - 9mm PAK (PAK -> the "self defense" version that shoots CS/CN-gas)
- Two old airguns I used for plinking in my youth-time
- Two katanas and some knifes n multitools
- DIY stuff (Hey, I'm a mechanic!)

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 12:44:57 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;128258
Wow! I've dreamed about a real Katana, but not for self-defence. I look at them as real pieces of art. Is it true that they are really three pieces of metal fused together by the actions of heating and hammering?

It's been about ten years since I started and stopped my katana collecting/addiction.  Katanas of different eras were made in different ways, so it depends on the specific sword as to the exact way it was forged.  Some eras, especially ww2 post only used 1 type of steel.  There are a lot of good videos on youtube now even showing how they were made traditionally and even how to make them in a modern forge.

http://www.reliks.com/forging.ihtml
http://www.2-clicks-swords.com/article/katana-making-and-marking.html

As far different parts of steel, the main idea is that different parts of the sword have different levels of carbon.  As Ripster said, the edge is high carbon, and extremely hard, so it's able to hold a very sharp edge, while the majority of the blade is relatively soft and springy to allow for it to take impacts and not shatter.  A katana will bend out of shape before it breaks for instance.

There are a lot of good deals on ebay for authentic katana.   Just a quick search I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Japanese-Wakizashi-Sword-Sharp-Blade-Signature_W0QQitemZ110450158451QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b757ab73

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-handmade-katana-Sword-Lamination-Makuri-Blade_W0QQitemZ120472027417QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0cb14119

That seller has a lot of ww2 era katana/wakizashi really cheap.

A good ww2-post era mechanical forged blade like that seller has isn't exactly a respected piece of art, although there are a lot of exceptions, but it's not going to be a giant loss to the world if you happen to ruin it hacking a robber to death. roflol
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2009, 13:28:14 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline MsKeyboard

Guns
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 14:18:20 »
I would love to hear when you find an AUTHENTIC Katana, not too sure I want to trust Ebay sellers.

Had a friend who owns a real Katana, and he unwrapped it to find little skulls.  It that really true, or a myth?

Thanks......Later

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 23:04:10 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;128411
I would love to hear when you find an AUTHENTIC Katana, not too sure I want to trust Ebay sellers.

Had a friend who owns a real Katana, and he unwrapped it to find little skulls.  It that really true, or a myth?

Thanks......Later

Those are authentic, they're just from probably the 1940's or later instead of being 300 years old.   You can tell from the rust on the first one especially.  That seller also has blades that have no hamon, which I would stay away from.   They appear to only be Damascus steel.  These are likely the single type of steel katana I was referring to. The first one I listed though looks really good, especially as the sword is signed which is rare for a sword that will likely sell as cheap as that seller is selling swords.  You can also get modern authentically forged katanas from Paul Chen.   Those are very expensive though relatively when blades from that seller are probably just as good. Those are what modern iaido users use for practice these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paul-Chen-Folded-Steel-Tiger-Katana-Japanese-Sword_W0QQitemZ160365525513QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255687ba09

Little skulls? Huh? Where?

That seller has a very good feedback rating for what he's selling and the amount he sells.  I doubt that there'd be a problem with what he's selling.

There are also a lot of high value certified katana on ebay.

Just a quick search:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NBTHK-cert-Antique-Japanese-Sword-Edo-Katana-Koshirae_W0QQitemZ320414577135QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAsian_Antiques?hash=item4a9a3271ef

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samurai-Sword-Katana-first-gen-Omi-no-kami-Hisamichi_W0QQitemZ180420738401QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAsian_Antiques?hash=item2a01e9fd61

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Samurai-Sword-Wakizashi-Katana-NBTHK-paper_W0QQitemZ230392713018QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAsian_Antiques?hash=item35a479cf3a

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Japanese-Samurai-Sword-EDO-Katana-Koshirae_W0QQitemZ320427063026QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAsian_Antiques?hash=item4a9af0f6f2

But these swords ARE unusable except to stare at, not to mention maintain, unless you're insane, even if you're uber rich, and not really worth buying imo.

I had a papered katana for a while during my collecting/obsession, but couldn't hold onto it because of the risk of it becoming damaged, and the need for it to be impeccably maintained.  If you own a respected katana and something happens to it it's not only a personal loss, but a loss of history.  

Functionally, the swords from the first seller I mentioned are going to be basically as good as any of the high end blades.  The construction is essentially the same, and unless you're seriously into it I would stay away from high end blades.  If you want to get a katana as a a beginning collector, or want a katana for home defense you're best just going with the swords from the first seller or a Paul Chen.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2009, 00:04:23 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline MsKeyboard

Guns
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 23:46:10 »
chimera15, Thanks for the great info.  I have learned to respect the Katana, but have not spent much time learning all the intricacies of the weapon itself.  I hope to own one someday, but find myself very leery about the purchase of something that I would consider art.
He said the skulls were in the wrapping on the handle.  Supposed to symbolize the ability (quality) of the steel, and its tested strength.  Just thought I would  ask.
Thanks again for the info............Later

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 27 October 2009, 00:10:51 »
Actually this has reawakened my obsession a little.  That second one I listed that seller had for $99 looked really good so I bought it. lol
Alps boards:

Offline msiegel

Guns
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 27 October 2009, 00:12:55 »
man, this site *is* dangerous... to bank accounts XD

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 27 October 2009, 00:13:54 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;128503
chimera15, Thanks for the great info.  I have learned to respect the Katana, but have not spent much time learning all the intricacies of the weapon itself.  I hope to own one someday, but find myself very leery about the purchase of something that I would consider art.
He said the skulls were in the wrapping on the handle.  Supposed to symbolize the ability (quality) of the steel, and its tested strength.  Just thought I would  ask.
Thanks again for the info............Later

Ah yeah, those are referred to as the menuki, and are usually selected by the wielder of the sword in the old days.  There are tons of different designs, they help with the grip of the sword, and there's some spiritual meaning to them as well. They don't really have anything to do with the blade.  The tsuka is usually wrapped by the samurai/wielder, or a separate artisan from the one who made the blade.  Usually they would have some familial or era significance.  For instance most of the ww2 era blades all have one type of menuki.

They usually look like or similar to this:  These are from a gunto katana which is a type of ww2 katana:

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:pNgTdGC636UJ:cgi.ebay.com/JAPANESE-SWORD-MENUKI-GUNTO-KATANA-TSUKA-TSUBA_W0QQitemZ400078461954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE%3Fhash%3Ditem5d2688dc02+ww2+menuki&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAPANESE-SAMURAI-SWORD-TSUBA-GUNTO-KATANA_W0QQitemZ280412510531QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAsian_Antiques?hash=item4149e35943

http://www.shadowofleaves.com/menuki.htm
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2009, 00:33:06 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 05:03:34 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;128258

I found a good page that describes the different ways a katana can be made:

http://www.samurai-katana-sword.com/

You can see there are a lot of ways.
Alps boards:

Offline cmr

Guns
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 21:50:08 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;126450
I'm pretty sure there must a forum talking about guns just like there's one talking about keyboards :-)

there are probably a thousand such forums. there are unquestionably at least a few hundred of them.

i'm pretty shocked that so few people on this forum own guns. most people in this world live in jurisdictions where private firearms ownership is permitted. the outliers are places like the UK with really extreme laws, where after a cascade of ever-tighter restrictions on firearms they have moved on to strict regulations on knives and then even tried to take away their people's (honestly, i wish i were making this up) drinking glasses!!! the UK must not think too much of its subjects' mental health. i certainly have the same dim view of their politicians.

if you need to punch some holes at a distance a firearm is the only way to go.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
Guns
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 13:44:06 »
I'm a weirdo.  That is, I own a few guns, but I'm a liberal.  (Defined by:  staunchly pro-environment, staunchly pro-choice within reasonable limits, staunchly pro-gay marriage, staunchly pro-universal healthcare, staunchly pro-separation of church and state.  If it were up to me, the US would sign itself over to become a territory of Denmark.)

It might be influenced by the fact that I grew up in a small, rural town.  I don't hunt (I'm an ethical vegetarian), although I used to compete the biathlon when I was a late teenager.

Probably because I'm liberal (or progressive, or left-wing, or whatever your preferred label might be), I do believe that the US should effect a reasonable amount of gun control.  In a sense, the US has let the cat out of the bag.  The massive proliferation of guns into society will make sweeping gun-control measures very difficult to employ, or to become ultimately effective.  That said, according to recorded data (source:  National Center for Health Statistics), about 65% of all homicides are caused by firearms.  A greater degree of "gun control" can clearly get these numbers down, and I think that this high proportion makes the issue worth discussing.

(Based on those numbers, an optimist might think that making all guns disappear overnight would reduce homicides by roughly two-thirds, although I think it's realistic to assume that many of those homicides would have been accomplished via other means were firearms unavailable.  For instance, did you know that the screwdriver is the #2 stabbing implement used in the US?  Neat!)

Note that about 3.4 times as many people are killed in automobile accidents annually than are killed in firearm-related homicides, so one could argue that there are bigger fish to fry, but if we regulate automobiles so carefully, why wouldn't we (in terms of common sense) do the same thing with firearms?  Just because something is in a 200-year-old constitution that doesn't mean it should be a legal loophole of impunity until the end of time.

Preventing accidents is also a noble cause (and usually attempted with state/county laws), but keep in mind that accidental firearm fatalities only account for ~4% of all firearm-related deaths, nationwide.  (Suicide is a big one, accounting for ~54%.)  There are differences by state, but they are slight (although interesting; compare the states' firearm homicide vs. suicide proportions with how they voted for president and you'll get a r-value exceeding 0.7).  While I don't have data for this, I expect that regional differences, even when geographically proximate, are massive.  E.g., firearm homicides would be much greater in downtown Detroit than in the wealthy nearby suburb of Grosse Pointe.  This would reflect different socioeconomic conditions and their respective crime/death trends.

(My numbers above are for fatalities only, not injuries.  It would be interesting to see the whole picture, but I don't immediately have the data.)

If we had rational lawmakers, the data would be looked at very closely, and then policy would be created accordingly.  (E.g., what kinds of firearms were used in the homicides, and why (size, price, etc.)?  Were they registered or unregistered?  Was the murderer identified/convicted, and if not, why?  What socioeconomic trends are clear, and what might their root causes be?  What social factors were evident (e.g., did the murderer have a criminal record?)?)  Right now, however, the state of political discourse in the US is so toxic and putrid that any rational progress on this issue (as well as with abortion, in my opinion) cannot be made.  Personally, I think the reason why lawmakers can't (or rather, don't) accomplish rational discussion about this and other issues is the fear that the extremists on the other side will try to establish slippery-slope issues to further their agenda.  You give the other side a concession, and they try to grab for more.  Thus it ends in a shouting-match stalemate, instead of both sides agreeing upon something that they each find honestly reasonable.

But I'll say it up-front (maybe just to get it off my chest):  as a population (in the US, at least; perhaps not someplace like Sierra Leone or Somalia), gun owners, even gun nuts, are neither stupid nor scary.  Nor are they inherently more dangerous than their counterparts.  If you think they're stupid or scary, that's just a reflection of your own xenophobia.  These are just people with a hobby, and in some cases, a self-image that they're trying to live up to.

In terms of numbers, you'd be more statistically astute to prejudice doctors as stupid/scary/dangerous for their ability to accidentally kill you while under their care.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2009, 15:29:46 by megarat »

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 13:51:14 »
Eugene Levy scares me.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
Guns
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 15:23:34 »
Quote from: ripster;129176
Show Image

Whoa ... that keyboard layout is totally wack.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 15:26:56 »
I think they went a little overkill on the space saver design.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
Guns
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 16:20:28 »
Quote from: ripster;129240
There are more Lego minifigures in the world than people so if they grow opposable thumbs WATCH OUT!

Yet another reason why the US should become a protectorate of Denmark.

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 16:39:51 »
Cheese omeletes.  Mmm...

Offline PRISONER 24601

Guns
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 10:31:46 »
i read in the paper that someone got shot yesterday
and now i open this thread today. wow.

how ironic.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 10:36:14 »
Dude, you're hanging at the Hanoi Hilton.  Someone getting shot shouldn't be much of a suprise as tragic as that is.

Offline AndrewZorn

Guns
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 11:31:08 »
if overpopulation is the greatest threat the future of humanity, then what is a gun?

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 11:32:59 »
Are you from Texas?

That's taking a Shotgun-Approach to solving a problem.

*rimshot*

Offline roaduck

Guns
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 16:20:34 »
Quote from: ripster;129240
Ergonomically designed for One Finger typing.
Show Image

There are more Lego minifigures in the world than people so if they grow opposable thumbs WATCH OUT!

Ripster you're bleedin' wasted on 'ere you should be working in Hollywood doin' special affects with lego and stop motion stuff.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Guns
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 17:41:15 »
What would happen if you shot the back of an IBM Model M?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline MFGorilla

Guns
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 21:37:40 »
But I'll say it up-front (maybe just to get it off my chest): as a population (in the US, at least; perhaps not someplace like Sierra Leone or Somalia), gun owners, even gun nuts, are neither stupid nor scary.

We've got a couple of gun nuts where I work and they are both bat**** crazy!  That said, there isn't anything wrong with responsible gun ownership.  I've always felt that the problem with gun control laws is that the criminals who use guns aren't getting them through legal channels.  If they are willing to break the law then they are probably willing to circumvent the gun control laws.
"I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!"

Using Now: Unicomp Spacesaver (black/grey) | IBM Model M 1391401 White Label| IBM Model M 1394946 by Lexmark
[COMMENT]On The Way: IBM Model M Industrial[/COMMENT]
Wish list: Filco Majestouch tenless with Blue Cherries | Matias Tactile Pro 3 | IBM Model M Space Saver
In Storage: IBM M2, DELL bluetooth wireless

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 05 November 2009, 08:25:04 »
Here in the Republic of Texas, the gun fanatics are crazy.

Offline AndrewZorn

Guns
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 14 November 2009, 22:14:30 »
i think i am able to find a new way to drain my wallet every month.  behold my most likely new next obsession: pocket rifles

still cant decide which of the above two to start with

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 14 November 2009, 22:21:40 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;132569
i think i am able to find a new way to drain my wallet every month.  behold my most likely new next obsession: pocket rifles

Show Image

Show Image

still cant decide which of the above two to start with

Can they be modded ? :-)

Offline AndrewZorn

Guns
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 14 November 2009, 22:25:03 »
both of them are

the first is a very modified ruger 10/22
the tried and true rifle chopped up

the second is a gsg-5
an mp5 clone but for the .22lr round
i would have already ordered it, but H&K has sued the company, and by jan31, they must cease all sales and die... so i would be buying something no longer in production... accessories, parts, would also likely disappear... not that most mp5 accessories dont work
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2009, 08:38:45 by AndrewZorn »

Offline Rajagra

Guns
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 17:50:24 »
Black box recorders for firearms.

What a great idea. If we make criminals use them it will make prosecutions so much easier! :rofl:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Guns
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 18:26:42 »
I couldn't imagine it catching on in the civilian market, but that sort of thing would be very useful for military weapons, both for investigating allegations of misconduct, and for keeping on eye on how worn out the weapon is.