Author Topic: xbox kinect hacked, useful as a pointing device?  (Read 4617 times)

Offline maclover

xbox kinect hacked, useful as a pointing device?
« on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 17:56:17 »
The Xbox Kinect is a fancy* webcam with a microphone that can detect objects. It has been hacked and can be used with regular personal computers.

Demonstration of it working on a PC

*A video showing the infrared dots it projects

Do you think it would be useful to be able to be able to wave your arms in front of computer and make it do stuff?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 04:18:04 »
i should be getting my kinect now (gf was flipping channels saw the dance game on jimmy falon and said, i want that) but it's shipping my 15ft usb cable seperately, now i gotta wait for that since i have a projector and that's a long throw distance. (tho i think i may have 2 10ft usb extensions somewhere.

Offline zefrer

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 04:53:56 »
Anything that forces me to get up and physically move to use my console/computer is an instant no-no for me :heh:

I consider it a step back, with regards to input interfaces, personally.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 13:22:37 »
Quote from: zefrer;245311

I don't believe for one moment it can be an efficient way of passing information to the console. Strictly a fun item.

Careful with that step back. It may interpret it as confirming a purchase.

Offline zefrer

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 14:34:21 »
Haha no, no intention to either.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 20:46:40 »
With the right software...

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 23:10:25 »
Or with the right hardware, do something else entirely :P

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/11/5/
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline netwebber

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 00:21:50 »
Quote from: zefrer;245311
Anything that forces me to get up and physically move to use my console/computer is an instant no-no for me :heh:

Agreed. I like having a 5000+ dpi mouse, so I can have three monitors and move my fingers barely more than than an inch to cover my whole desktop. (Or use a trackpoint, for just a millimeter or so!) And touch typing doesn't take that much movement either.  

OK, so I like reverse pinching for zooming and pinching for zooming out. But that's on my 3-inch iPhone, or on a touchpad. Right now I'm using a laptop without a Trackpoint so I'm running Scroll++ to let me scroll with the touchpad. It's better than using the side of the touchpad, but it's still annoying.

If you thought RSI with a keyboard and mouse was bad, just wait until the Kinect-type interfaces.

WhiteRice, I almost posted that video the other day. The step-zoom gesture (0:24), I could get into. The jog-wheel (2:44) was also a nice touch.

They got zooming backward (0:07, 1:04). Reverse-pinch will probably last longer than the double-click.

I don't like pinky-to-select (0:39). I've lost the use of each of my pinky fingers for a few weeks (at different times) to injury...
Keyboards: IBM M15 adjustable ergonomic | Northgate Omnikey Evolution w/ Touchpad | IBM Model M 1391401 | TG3 BLT 5RBUVS tenkeyless | MS Natural Keyboard Pro | MS Natural Keyboard Original (Black) | IBM UltraNav Travel Slim Keyboard | Chicony ThinkPad T60 keyboard in Lenovo ThinkPad T400 | IBM ThinkPad T42p | MS Arc Wireless | Logitech K350 Wireless
Pointing Devices: Logitech G500 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX | IBM ScrollPoint Optical | Razer Boomslang | On laptops: Trackpoint for pointing, touchpad for scrolling--The True Way
Other: Belkin/Razer Speedpad n52te | Adesso Mechanical Numpad (Cherry Blues) | Wacom Intuos2
Game Controllers: MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro | Gravis Exterminator

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 06:49:23 »
Quote from: netwebber;246218
If you thought RSI with a keyboard and mouse was bad, just wait until the Kinect-type interfaces.

I recall that someone on this board once wrote that the occupation group with highest percentage of RSI-sufferers was sign language interpreters ...

Anyway. Here is another gesture interface from Microsoft's research. Mind-bogglingly simple tech.

Offline maclover

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 November 2010, 07:37:03 »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 November 2010, 10:29:43 »
kinect sucks, didn't really have fun, i mean it was good novelty with dance central/kinect adventures but i couldn't stand the lag.

there was a noticable 1 or 2 second lag between the camera and seeing yourself onscreen. I can't play a game with that big of a handicap!