Author Topic: [IC] GMK Silver Arrows  (Read 20707 times)

Offline brainandforce

• Keyboarding on a budget!
[IC] GMK Silver Arrows
« on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 20:38:16 »
I'm going to start this off by saying that I have never designed run an interest check before for anything. However, I felt that this is just too good a concept to pass up, so I'll start here. All feedback is appreciated, as well as any offers of assistance!

GMK Silver Arrows celebrates the current Formula 1 Constructor's Champion, Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport!

Color assignment is currently uncertain, but the only custom color for now is the Petronas background color/accent background which is Pantone 321 C. The black is CR, the white is WS1, and the gray is 2B. The colors are actually based on the cars from 2013-2018, not the current car, which has more complex coloring and textures. The gray and black scheme should suit a variety of boards.

I am getting in contact with Mercedes-AMG F1 in order to determine whether some of their designs can be licensed for use as novelties. Personally, I'm not big on novelties, so I only have a few ideas:
  • The Mercedes roundel
  • AMG logo
  • 44 (Lewis Hamilton's car number), 77 (Valtteri Bottas), 6 (Nico Rosberg)
  • Perhaps a rear view of a Formula 1 car, as in the banner
  • Helmet (as suggested by xondat)

As for alternate legends, I'd like to include "Tactics" keys as an Enter replacement, as well as "Pole" keys to complement the Win keys.

Below is a keyboard render:

If you're interested, here is the interest check form!
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2019, 21:34:05 by brainandforce »

Offline DukeEsquire

Re: [IC] GMK Silver Arrows
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 20:43:57 »
Someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm one way or the other, but I don't believe you can use other people's trademarks on your keycaps (e.g.: the Mercedes logo, AMG logo...etc.).

Offline vosechu

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 20:46:16 »
Someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm one way or the other, but I don't believe you can use other people's trademarks on your keycaps (e.g.: the Mercedes logo, AMG logo...etc.).

You can if they give you permission in writing.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 20:50:59 »
Love it - I had this idea a couple years back but never went further.

I think mine used the green/blue a bit more prominently, but makes sense this way.

Personally would add 77 and 6 for novelties too.

"Valtteri, it's James" as a novelty would be amazing :D

Maybe a helmet too?
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2019, 20:53:56 by xondat »

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 20:55:45 »

Yeah, I meant without permission/license. I doubt Mercedes is  going to give permission and even when license-holders get consent, you might end up with the Gundam fiasco.

Offline brainandforce

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 21:25:30 »

One of the reasons I decided to go with Mercedes theming is because Mercedes has very active fan engagement (look at their social media accounts). Of all teams currently on the grid, they're probably the most likely to be helpful with this project.

That being said, this set isn't dependent on licensed novelties. I have ambitions, but I don't want to depend on the most lofty ones for this set to become a success.

Love it - I had this idea a couple years back but never went further.

I think mine used the green/blue a bit more prominently, but makes sense this way.

Personally would add 77 and 6 for novelties too.

"Valtteri, it's James" as a novelty would be amazing :D

Maybe a helmet too?

Thanks! I know there have been plenty of ideas thrown around for F1 themed keycap sets (DSA Toro Rosso, GMK Pole Position, etc) and I felt this one deserves its time to shine. I've noted the helmet and the 77/6 novelty ideas. I wonder how much of a stretch a "James" key would be...

Offline ptiede

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 22:25:28 »
I love the colors. I was actually wanting a set like this so I'm in

Offline etong415

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 22:38:12 »
I was just thinking about how I'd like a gray GMK set to match my cable on my commute home. In for sure!

Offline tentboy

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 06:19:27 »
This set 1-2.

Looks awesome, and im loving the Petronas green accents.

I played around with and IC'd a Ferrari sf90 themed set a while ago but just wont have the time to work on it + I think the colors are too bright for mass appeal - but these are much tamer and very nice.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 06:51:16 »
Any chance we could have silver/gray modifiers?
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 08:02:17 »
The color of alpha is so cool.
Love the metal touch.

Offline adxlk

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 08:02:29 »
gmk delta?

Offline brainandforce

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 09:59:31 »
The color of alpha is so cool.
Love the metal touch.

The metallic color is an artifact of rendering, but if this set garners enough interest I'll definitely ask about whether the caps can be made to look more metallic.

Any chance we could have silver/gray modifiers?

There seems to be some interest in this, so it's definitely under consideration! (This is not a particularly well-developed concept yet so I haven't really thought about kit structure)

gmk delta?

I've recieved comparisons to Delta and to Modern Dolch, but I think it stands out with its unique theming.

This set 1-2.

Looks awesome, and im loving the Petronas green accents.

I played around with and IC'd a Ferrari sf90 themed set a while ago but just wont have the time to work on it + I think the colors are too bright for mass appeal - but these are much tamer and very nice.

Oh no, not another Mercedes 1-2.

I actually am interested in GMK Pole Position as well! While it is loud, I'd love to see F1 themed keycap sets make it to the group buy phase, and it certainly has its place. I also don't blame you for not wanting to deal with Ferrari IP - I've heard licensing from them is extremely difficult.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 10:15:16 »
Feels like this set is must buy for Malaysian, to support Petronas.

Offline adxlk

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 11:55:08 »
either way, looking forward to how this turns out. I was hoping to see a set for Ayrton Senna but i'll make due with this petronas theme one for now xd

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 12:49:22 »
Cool idea. Will monitor

Offline TastyChance

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 19:14:27 »
Cool idea, why not use the W10 in the banner though? Could also use the stars/lauda red star for a novelty.

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 20:10:31 »
looks cool!

Offline dilbertprogrammer

• Keyboard Connoisseur
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 13:04:15 »
Best of luck getting the necessary permission for the licensing to fulfill your vision!

I tried something similar a couple of years ago...

Offline tentboy

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 13:43:32 »
Best of luck getting the necessary permission for the licensing to fulfill your vision!

I tried something similar a couple of years ago...
dsa torpeed.

really any motorsports set would make me happy

Offline abkumar

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 01:42:01 »
I can't think of any interesting/simple designs, but incorporating the safety car (since it is a Mercedes SLS AMG) would be cool. I am also amused by the fact that GMK Silver Arrows doesn't have silver (gray) arrow keys.

Offline taintedPurple

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 17:02:28 »
I love this. Hope it makes it

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 17:09:21 »
Maybe we need a "1-2" novelty :p

Offline dannyny

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 17:22:36 »
would buy. needs more of that blue if possible...

Offline Smoff

• 817 785
    • Youtube
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 08:57:25 »
This will be really good if you can nail the silver color :thumb:
Current boards: Matrix 1.2 OG | Matrix 8xv2.0 | Cherry g80-1000 | Cherry g80-3000 | Matrix 2.0add | Matrix Noah

Boards on the way: Duck Orion v2.5 | Matrix Falcon

Previous boards: BOK.CP | Duck Orion v3 | Mech27v2 | HHKB pro2 x3 | Cherry g80-11800 | NIU mini | Klippe r1 | Brutal60 | Duck Unicorn x Legend | Duck jetfire | Cherry g80-1800 | IDB60 | PC Salamander | Lin Whale r2 | LZ Physix | Duck Viper v3 |

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 09:17:15 »
I'm going to start this off by saying that I have never designed run an interest check before for anything. However, I felt that this is just too good a concept to pass up, so I'll start here. All feedback is appreciated, as well as any offers of assistance!

Show Image

GMK Silver Arrows celebrates the current Formula 1 Constructor's Champion, Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport!

Show Image

Color assignment is currently uncertain, but the only custom color for now is the Petronas background color/accent background which is Pantone 321 C. The black is CR, the white is WS1, and the gray is 2B. The colors are actually based on the cars from 2013-2018, not the current car, which has more complex coloring and textures. The gray and black scheme should suit a variety of boards.

I am getting in contact with Mercedes-AMG F1 in order to determine whether some of their designs can be licensed for use as novelties. Personally, I'm not big on novelties, so I only have a few ideas:
  • The Mercedes roundel
  • AMG logo
  • 44 (Lewis Hamilton's car number), 77 (Valtteri Bottas), 6 (Nico Rosberg)
  • Perhaps a rear view of a Formula 1 car, as in the banner
  • Helmet (as suggested by xondat)

As for alternate legends, I'd like to include "Tactics" keys as an Enter replacement, as well as "Pole" keys to complement the Win keys.

Below is a keyboard render:

Show Image

If you're interested, here is the interest check form!

Looks pretty nice! Sadly, I can't afford GMK sets at the moment...

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 09:20:10 »

That would be insanely hard with ABS. 

Offline Smoff

• 817 785
    • Youtube
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 11:39:01 »

That would be insanely hard with ABS.
Yeah I know that. What I meant with "nail the silver color" is getting the best looking shade of gray pretty much
Current boards: Matrix 1.2 OG | Matrix 8xv2.0 | Cherry g80-1000 | Cherry g80-3000 | Matrix 2.0add | Matrix Noah

Boards on the way: Duck Orion v2.5 | Matrix Falcon

Previous boards: BOK.CP | Duck Orion v3 | Mech27v2 | HHKB pro2 x3 | Cherry g80-11800 | NIU mini | Klippe r1 | Brutal60 | Duck Unicorn x Legend | Duck jetfire | Cherry g80-1800 | IDB60 | PC Salamander | Lin Whale r2 | LZ Physix | Duck Viper v3 |

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 11:42:01 »

Probably wouldn't run until next year anyway.

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 15:05:46 »

If it happens that way, I would be very interested. :D

Offline tikkaman

• eat mor chikin tikka
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 16:26:37 »
An F1 keyset really excites me! Definitely in for a set if this goes to gb. A few ideas for memey text novelties/mods:

1) "IN IN IN IN"
2) "Get in there (Lewis)"
3) "Best crowd/fans today"
4) "Ferrari is looking strong this weekend"

Offline famguy07

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 17:07:48 »
I already filled out the IC form, but I just had another idea for the novelties/accents. You could add an extra set of F5 thru F8 that are the neon yellow color of the TV pod on the team's second car.

Offline brainandforce

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 23:55:29 »
An F1 keyset really excites me! Definitely in for a set if this goes to gb. A few ideas for memey text novelties/mods:

1) "IN IN IN IN"
2) "Get in there (Lewis)"
3) "Best crowd/fans today"
4) "Ferrari is looking strong this weekend"

These are long options but I could definitely see an "In" and "Stay Out" key. I don't mind going a bit memey on the text novelties.

Once I have an idea of where I want each text novelty to go I'll get some proper renders done with them.
I already filled out the IC form, but I just had another idea for the novelties/accents. You could add an extra set of F5 thru F8 that are the neon yellow color of the TV pod on the team's second car.

Not a bad idea! I'll definitely consider this.

Yeah, this project is really just taking its first steps. I don't expect it to be ready for quite a while, and that's if I can get enough interest. I still don't have proper renders yet.

Maybe we need a "1-2" novelty :p

I can't think of any interesting/simple designs, but incorporating the safety car (since it is a Mercedes SLS AMG) would be cool. I am also amused by the fact that GMK Silver Arrows doesn't have silver (gray) arrow keys.

As great an idea this is, I don't know how distinct these would be compared to the white arrow keys shown in the render. I was considering blue on gray but I fear the contrast might be too low.

Cool idea, why not use the W10 in the banner though? Could also use the stars/lauda red star for a novelty.

Because it's the only free image that has the shot I want of the Mercedes car :P

Also, that might be a licensing issue, but it's under consideration; certainly a fitting novelty. Again, thanks to everyone for the ideas!

Offline Snowy

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 19:42:11 »
Where's a second 2.25u shift for us 66 key keyboard users? Every single GMK kit I've encountered in the past has one.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 22:59:32 »
Where's a second 2.25u shift for us 66 key keyboard users? Every single GMK kit I've encountered in the past has one.

That's just a stock render layout from a keycap render site. I'm sure his actual base kit layout will be a bit different.

Offline kconfire

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 01:19:53 »
This is awesome.

Can't wait to see what you'll bring.
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline ludd3

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 08:54:33 »
Oh Im soooo in. Matches my car

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2019, 08:59:17 by ludd3 »

Offline lendflat

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 09:47:30 »
Another gmk set? is there that much demand for gmk? worse profile ever.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 13:11:10 »
I'd like to chime in to point out a minor problem in the base kit regarding ISO support.

As the kit stands now, you've got neither full UK ISO support nor US ISO support, but are instead falling "in the middle of the pond", producing something called "Atlantis ISO". To fix this in the base kit, you have two (ok, three) options:

1) Complete the US ISO support. To do this, replace the R3 #~ key with an R3 \| key instead. the R4 \| key has to remain.

2) Complete the UK ISO support. To do this, do not remove anything, add the three missing keys in R1: , 2" and , and add the missing key in R3: '@.

3) Offer full UK+US ISO support. To do this, do not remove anything, add the three missing keys in R1: , 2" and , and add the two missing keys in R3: '@ and \|.

Hope this helps!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 13:15:45 »
I'd like to chime in to point out a minor problem in the base kit regarding ISO support.

As the kit stands now, you've got neither full UK ISO support nor US ISO support, but are instead falling "in the middle of the pond", producing something called "Atlantis ISO". To fix this in the base kit, you have two (ok, three) options:

1) Complete the US ISO support. To do this, replace the R3 #~ key with an R3 \| key instead. the R4 \| key has to remain.

2) Complete the UK ISO support. To do this, do not remove anything, add the three missing keys in R1: , 2" and , and add the missing key in R3: '@.

3) Offer full UK+US ISO support. To do this, do not remove anything, add the three missing keys in R1: , 2" and , and add the two missing keys in R3: '@ and \|.

Hope this helps!

That base kit render is from https://keycaprenders.com/ (powered by MyKeyboard.EU BTW). It's a template that you cannot change and one that everyone receives who requests a kit render. I don't think they are going to use this base kit, but we do appreciate your information regarding ISO support.

Cheers!

Offline kontradictions

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 21:52:35 »
I hate the Mercedes F1 team because they keep winning but I love the colorway. I'm so conflicted!  :))

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 22:06:57 »
i had some designs for a merc set but could never get the colors quite right

this is close

but **** any team that isn't red bull
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dannyny

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 12:12:24 »
Any update on this set?

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 12:17:33 »
Looks slick, with that shiny case in the render it's like a faster version of Dolch :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline jejuzy

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 22:31:01 »
Looks good, reminds me a little too much of va87m moonlight though. GL!

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 01:05:18 »
Looks great! Pretty awesome since there isn't really any sets out there that make use of a silver color.

Offline brainandforce

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 15:50:14 »
Just a quick update on this project: I've started grad school and all notions of "free time" have been thrown out the window. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that someone sent me a message on Discord about it, I probably would have neglected this thread. There likely won't be any updates until December. However, I definitely intend to make this set happen!

To answer questions about layout, the render is one from keycaprenders.com which has no options for kit configuration. When I run this set there will likely be full ISO+UK support in the main kit, and I think there's a compelling argument for including Nordic/DE layout keys with that as well.

Offline dannyny

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 22:17:08 »
good luck with school.

Offline JerkChicken456

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 21:34:17 »
i really hope this one makes it.. me likes

Offline delet_d

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 16:29:34 »
Great colors, kinda reminds me of modern dolch. Mercedes novelties would be sick. But as a Ferrari and vettel fan, I am obligated not to support this.  ;)