Author Topic: The SmallFry KB, AKA jdcarpe loves 40%  (Read 167033 times)

Offline ullr

Re: The SmallFry KB, AKA jdcarpe loves 40%
« Reply #500 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 19:22:10 »
I am interested!

Could I get one with this layout, or will I have to be flexible with key positions? http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/d260ad8b46cea34a8ce897f1a9b2f758
What does the dark green key do?

Shift + Blue key

Offline ullr

« Reply #501 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 20:41:18 »
So if I wanted one with that software layout, would that be possible?  Would I have to build my own, or is this http://www.geekhackers.org/products/jd40-jdcarpe-s-40-keyboard-kit-sorbothane-titanium-all-profits-go-to-the-nathan-j-walters-foundation-rip-smallfry programmable enough for that?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #502 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 20:56:39 »
So if I wanted one with that software layout, would that be possible?  Would I have to build my own, or is this http://www.geekhackers.org/products/jd40-jdcarpe-s-40-keyboard-kit-sorbothane-titanium-all-profits-go-to-the-nathan-j-walters-foundation-rip-smallfry programmable enough for that?
Well, your question is actually two sided. First, the physical layout of the JD40 is fixed, so for instance, you can't swap the 1.25 and 1 unit keys' positions. There aren't holes in the PCB for those options.

Second, it's not possible to assign arbitrary shifted scan codes. For example, when you press Shift+4, it will always output the scancodes for shift and 4 to the operating system, which gets interpreted as a $ (assuming US English). This is a limitation of the HID driver. The firmware gets programmed to output a certain keypress scancode, and the driver interprets it. Unless you want to attempt to rewrite the HID driver, I don't think it's possible. You're not the first to want to do that, but unfortunately the firmware can only send keypresses.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline cbot

« Reply #503 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 22:22:31 »
Today I learned 40% might be just a little too small for me.

Offline ullr

« Reply #504 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 21:53:32 »
Today I learned 40% might be just a little too small for me.

Thanks, that clears that up. I think I've gotten a little inkling of that when working with keyboard resources. Are there any resources for programming the HID driver, if it is possible?

Offline The feel is of the keys!

• Click
« Reply #505 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:55:08 »
Does anyone have a layout for the JD40 they would be willing to share?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #506 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:58:35 »

You mean other than the ones shown in the OP?

Or are you looking for a .hex file to flash to the Teensy?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

• Click
« Reply #507 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 12:03:07 »

You mean other than the ones shown in the OP?

Or are you looking for a .hex file to flash to the Teensy?

My bad for not being specific. I meant the .hex file.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #508 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 12:08:58 »
I'm somewhat out-of-pocket today, but I'll post the default .hex file up later as an attachment, so that people can program their new builds.

in memoriam

• Click
« Reply #509 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 12:10:01 »
I'm somewhat out-of-pocket today, but I'll post the default .hex file up later as an attachment, so that people can program their new builds.

Awesome! Thanks, I'll pass word since another user was talking to me about looking for a .hex file.

Edit: /u/Arcoril brought up this program for keymapping that might interest people.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 August 2014, 12:40:25 by The feel is of the keys! »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #510 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 12:12:15 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0

metalliqaz easy keymapper works to right? That's what I had planned on using eventually :P

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #511 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 13:00:27 »
jd, is there a schematic of the board somewhere ? Would like to adapt my own little firmware :)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

• Click
« Reply #512 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 19:40:42 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0

metalliqaz easy keymapper works to right? That's what I had planned on using eventually :P

I used the wrong Diodes in my personal build, but from the switches I could test Easy AVR worked just fine, and was very easy to setup.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #513 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 01:31:10 »
jd, is there a schematic of the board somewhere ? Would like to adapt my own little firmware :)

Sure, here it is...

And yes, the latest beta version of Easy AVR Keymapper by metalliqaz should work with it just fine.

Attached is the "stock" firmware (TMK).

in memoriam

Offline Grendel

« Reply #514 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 02:38:25 »
Thanks !  :cool:

Edit: Looks pretty close to the r0.10.5 board, I'm good to go. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 August 2014, 02:42:56 by Grendel »
- I'm game !

• Click
« Reply #515 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 15:48:34 »
Hopefully last question. How is this supposed to be wired? I believe it's for the caps lock.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 August 2014, 15:51:04 by The feel is of the keys! »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #516 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 16:13:31 »
Hopefully last question. How is this supposed to be wired? I believe it's for the caps lock.
Show Image

Jumper or bridge each of the LED pads to the adjacent pad that has a trace running to it. I use small pieces of the diode legs to make the jumpers.

in memoriam

• Click
« Reply #517 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 16:46:21 »
Show Image

Jumper or bridge each of the LED pads to the adjacent pad that has a trace running to it. I use small pieces of the diode legs to make the jumpers.
Ah I kinda figured that's what they were for,wanted to check before committing though. Thanks.

Offline youdub

« Reply #518 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 08:30:06 »
Hey guys just got the plates and pcb for this keyboard and I'm starting to put it together.  I just have one small question.  In a previous post JD linked to the 1N4148-T diodes for the board.  I have a bunch 1N4148 diodes laying around.  Are those the same diodes?  Does the T just indicate packaging like some other parts or do I need the to order the T's to make this keyboard work?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #519 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 08:33:44 »
Hey guys just got the plates and pcb for this keyboard and I'm starting to put it together.  I just have one small question.  In a previous post JD linked to the 1N4148-T diodes for the board.  I have a bunch 1N4148 diodes laying around.  Are those the same diodes?  Does the T just indicate packaging like some other parts or do I need the to order the T's to make this keyboard work?

In this case, T just means through hole, not SMD. As long as they are through hole 1N4148 diodes, they should work just fine. :)

in memoriam

Offline youdub

« Reply #520 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 11:55:17 »
Awesome man thanks alot.  Just didn't want to have to remove and resolder 40 diodes if I didn't have too lol.  :D

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #521 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 04:30:57 »
Is there any special caps sizes on those 40% keyboards?

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #522 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 06:35:56 »
Is there any special caps sizes on those 40% keyboards?
Depends what you mean by special. All the keys are standard sizes, but not standard legends.

Offline tbc

« Reply #523 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 01:38:00 »
any chance a newer revision will have support for an offset 'enter' key?

the switch should be positioned to support an offset capslick with the step on the left side (the mirror of a capslock on the right side)
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #524 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 01:54:33 »

the switch should be positioned to support an offset capslick with the step on the left side (the mirror of a capslock on the right side)
SP doesn’t make a keycap like that except in SA family. I take it you’re planning to use SA caps on your keyboard? Or does some other keycap vendor also make caps with a step on the left or a step in a symmetrical key?

Offline tbc

« Reply #525 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 01:57:04 »
dsa has offcenter stepped capslock.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #526 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 01:59:17 »
Not according to this http://www.keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/DSAFamily.pdf (but perhaps it’s wrong or out of date).

From googling it looks like otd.kr paid for the molds for a DSA stepped capslock, and so needs to grant permission for SP to use that mold for anyone else?
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 September 2014, 02:03:49 by jacobolus »

Offline tbc

« Reply #527 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 02:06:43 »
76486-076488-1granite windowed keys

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 September 2014, 02:09:28 by tbc »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #528 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 02:21:24 »
Does it always have a window? If so, that’s going to be a little silly looking flipped and put in on the right.

Offline Igthorn

« Reply #529 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 02:24:52 »
SP can also do normal ones.  The Skull Squadron set has one.

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #530 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 12:35:22 »
i'm just curious, what is the real name of this keyboard?
JD40?
The SmallFry?
JD40 The SmallFry?
The SmallFry JD40?

haha  :thumb:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #531 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 15:51:49 »
JD40?
The SmallFry?
JD40 The SmallFry?
The SmallFry JD40?

This project is/was called the SmallFry Keyboard project, named after my friend who passed away last year. Ultimately, the goal was to have a PCB with SMD components, and holes for PCB mounting both switches and stabilizers. That project had a prototype PCB made by Regack, but there were issues with the prototype, and the project seems to have stalled.

An earlier 40% PCB was designed, also by Regack, to my specifications using a Teensy for the controller, and using all through-hole components. That is the keyboard I dubbed the JD40, which is now being sold at the [CTRL]ALT store, and via mkawa's group buy.

mkawa called his group buy the SmallFry Keyboard Kit, and it includes a JD40 PCB, titanium plates, and a sorbothane spacer. He named it so, because all profits above his actual costs are being donated the the Nathan Walter Foundation, a charity which helps prospective Eagle Scouts fund their projects.

Hope this clears a few things up. :)

in memoriam

Offline justify

• Great news!
« Reply #532 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 15:58:22 »
40% board? 100% more typing happiness

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #533 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:04:55 »
JD40?
The SmallFry?
JD40 The SmallFry?
The SmallFry JD40?

This project is/was called the SmallFry Keyboard project, named after my friend who passed away last year. Ultimately, the goal was to have a PCB with SMD components, and holes for PCB mounting both switches and stabilizers. That project had a prototype PCB made by Regack, but there were issues with the prototype, and the project seems to have stalled.

An earlier 40% PCB was designed, also by Regack, to my specifications using a Teensy for the controller, and using all through-hole components. That is the keyboard I dubbed the JD40, which is now being sold at the [CTRL]ALT store, and via mkawa's group buy.

mkawa called his group buy the SmallFry Keyboard Kit, and it includes a JD40 PCB, titanium plates, and a sorbothane spacer. He named it so, because all profits above his actual costs are being donated the the Nathan Walter Foundation, a charity which helps prospective Eagle Scouts fund their projects.

Hope this clears a few things up. :)
I'm sorry for your loss  :(
Thank you for the great answer!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #534 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 04:41:03 »
The fix for the SmallFry KB was pretty small and was handled by Grendel IIRC, maybe give regack a ping, if you want to get the project back on track. I have a SFKB PCB sitting back home (In India) that I need to solder when I get back.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #535 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 10:02:44 »

SP doesn’t make a keycap like that except in SA family. I take it you’re planning to use SA caps on your keyboard? Or does some other keycap vendor also make caps with a step on the left or a step in a symmetrical key?

Newer version?  Is there interest in an updated JD40?  It is possible I did a design for an updated PCB as an exercise, and then didn't take it anywhere.

I added backlighting and drew up an alternative bottom row, including a split spacebar.  I also added PCB mounts for the stabs, and provided the ability to swap the 1.00x and 1.25x keycaps on the second row (RH edge.)  I did have to drop the fancy USB re-locator circuit and move the Teensy, but I rotated the Teensy so that a cable could be routed to exit where it does on the current JD40 PCB.  I made it backwards-compatible with the JD40 so existing plates and firmware could be retained.

Anyhow, I could easily finish this, including enabling both capslock positions.  I had just done this as an exercise, so I never posted it or anything.  (Also, this is a complete surprise to JD and Regack, who have more rights to the design that I have.)

Is anyone interested?  JD, what are your thoughts?

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  SmallFry was a friend to many here.  My avatar wears an armband in his honor.

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #536 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 10:09:07 »
Oh, I also drafted a slim wedge case; also backwards-compatible.

It isn't shown in this sketch, but the top surface will have switch and stab cut-outs to act as a plate.  It looks like a $30 laser-cutting job for QTY=2.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #537 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 10:27:48 »
Not according to this http://www.keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/DSAFamily.pdf (but perhaps it’s wrong or out of date).

From googling it looks like otd.kr paid for the molds for a DSA stepped capslock, and so needs to grant permission for SP to use that mold for anyone else?

This is true - we used it in HyperFuse and I had to get permission from OTD to use it.
I got boards.

Offline Grendel

« Reply #538 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 13:33:21 »
Newer version?  Is there interest in an updated JD40?

See http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47133.msg1215017#msg1215017 . The board had some minor problems (missing trace, one or two diodes printed the wrong way round, small pads on the oscillator) and some possible changes (hook up all LED's to PWM capable pins, move some lines off the F port.) Not sure what the current status is :/
- I'm game !

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #539 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 16:26:29 »

Newer version?  Is there interest in an updated JD40?  It is possible I did a design for an updated PCB as an exercise, and then didn't take it anywhere.

I added backlighting and drew up an alternative bottom row, including a split spacebar.  I also added PCB mounts for the stabs, and provided the ability to swap the 1.00x and 1.25x keycaps on the second row (RH edge.)  I did have to drop the fancy USB re-locator circuit and move the Teensy, but I rotated the Teensy so that a cable could be routed to exit where it does on the current JD40 PCB.  I made it backwards-compatible with the JD40 so existing plates and firmware could be retained.

Anyhow, I could easily finish this, including enabling both capslock positions.  I had just done this as an exercise, so I never posted it or anything.  (Also, this is a complete surprise to JD and Regack, who have more rights to the design that I have.)

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  SmallFry was a friend to many here.  My avatar wears an armband in his honor.

I saw something like this on the twitter.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #540 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 16:41:02 »
Oh, I also drafted a slim wedge case; also backwards-compatible.

It isn't shown in this sketch, but the top surface will have switch and stab cut-outs to act as a plate.  It looks like a $30 laser-cutting job for QTY=2.

- Ron | samwisekoi

I'd be interested in any cases for this.  Something like a LZ/Duck/KMAC case would be  :eek:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #541 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 10:08:44 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

I don't mind at all if you want to publish this. I'm all for improvements!

But, for me personally, I would love if you could focus a bit of that PCB-making genius of yours toward the next project, the JD45 (or GH45, if you prefer). It's a bit more useful, in my opinion, although some may not like the small split spacebars.

in memoriam

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #542 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:52:15 »

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #543 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:42:57 »
Does anyone know whether or not it's possible to program macros for lack of a better word into these guys? I'm primarily trying to program some of the common 3+ key combos into my function layer.

ctrl + alt + del
ctrl + shift + esc
alt + f4
ctrl + shift + arrows

I would hope its as easy as having the firmware send multiple keycodes, but I'm not entirely certain whether or not this is possible with the given firmware tools out there.
Planck w/ Zealios

• Click
« Reply #544 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 07:53:17 »
Does anyone know whether or not it's possible to program macros for lack of a better word into these guys? I'm primarily trying to program some of the common 3+ key combos into my function layer.

ctrl + alt + del
ctrl + shift + esc
alt + f4
ctrl + shift + arrows

I would hope its as easy as having the firmware send multiple keycodes, but I'm not entirely certain whether or not this is possible with the given firmware tools out there.

I was directed to Easy AVR that made setting up function layers and macros extremely easy. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0

----
Has anyone else gotten so used to their JD40 they can't use normal keyboards anymore? Every time I have to use my normal one to type I mess up 70% of what I'm trying to type because I'm so used to using function layers.  ;D

-----
Also, I can't seem to get the LEDs to work. I used a 300 Ohm resistor on the bridge labeled [300], but that didn't seem to get it to work. Am I using the wrong resistors? These are the exact resistors I am using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009XOP5WM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #545 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 08:09:03 »
Also, I can't seem to get the LEDs to work. I used a 300 Ohm resistor on the bridge labeled [300], but that didn't seem to get it to work. Am I using the wrong resistors? These are the exact resistors I am using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009XOP5WM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only LED that has traces near it is the Caps Lock LED, under the 1.25-unit key on the second row from the top. You have to bridge each trace to the adjacent LED solder pad to make it functional.

Or did you have some other configuration on your build?

in memoriam

• Click
« Reply #546 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 20:22:50 »

The only LED that has traces near it is the Caps Lock LED, under the 1.25-unit key on the second row from the top. You have to bridge each trace to the adjacent LED solder pad to make it functional.

Or did you have some other configuration on your build?

This is the area I'm talking about. It's marked [300] so I assumed it needed a 300 Ohm resistor. If it did and this isn't the cause of my LED issue I'm at a lost of what is the issue.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #547 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 20:34:32 »
Maybe you have the polarity of the LED reversed?

Oh wait, I see that you have soldered LEDs in every switch. But there are no traces on the PCB for any LEDs besides the Caps Lock LED. If you want LEDs in other switches, you would have to hand wire connections to each and every other LED.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 20:36:16 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

• Click
« Reply #548 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 00:08:09 »
Maybe you have the polarity of the LED reversed?

Oh wait, I see that you have soldered LEDs in every switch. But there are no traces on the PCB for any LEDs besides the Caps Lock LED. If you want LEDs in other switches, you would have to hand wire connections to each and every other LED.

Ohh, that would do it.  :))

Thanks, time for spaghetti.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #549 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 18:42:02 »
Don't know if it's been posted here before, if it is even allowed to be posted here. There is a groupbuy running right now on PMK that has a JD40/Smallfry modifier kit as an option.

Just thought everyone should know this since it seems most people are stuck to DSA profile keycaps due to the odd layout of the board.  :thumb:

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/greentea-base-kit/

Feel free to remove this if it shouldn't be posted here but I just thought it should be pointed out since I didn't know about this until now. 9 more people need to buy the mod pack for it to tip.