Author Topic: Welcome new members!  (Read 793062 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: Welcome new members!
« Reply #400 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 14:40:47 »
Hey there GH!

I am completely new to GH, not even a lurker... Well not completely new, I have been led here from r/mk a few times.  ;D

So I have:
  • Roccat Ryos MkPro - Mx-Blue (gaming board, obviously my first mech ._.)
  • DasKeyboard Ultimate 4 - Mx-Blue (my board in the office)
  • Rappoo KX - yellow kailh (to try linear switches... not for me, but those who like it...)

And I am currently trying to decide on my next board which will be either Mx-Clear or the CM Novatouch, it should just be 80% or 60%. I just couldn't decide yet.

Note: I prefer the US-ANSI layout to the rest, which makes it difficult to get boards for a reasonable price here in Switzerland. Feel free to AMA! :D

Welcome!! Try a Realforce 87U 55g!

Offline EN34

« Reply #401 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 15:05:12 »
Hey there GH!

I am completely new to GH, not even a lurker... Well not completely new, I have been led here from r/mk a few times.  ;D

So I have:
  • Rappoo KX - yellow kailh (to try linear switches... not for me, but those who like it...)

And I am currently trying to decide on my next board which will be either Mx-Clear or the CM Novatouch, it should just be 80% or 60%. I just couldn't decide yet.

Note: I prefer the US-ANSI layout to the rest, which makes it difficult to get boards for a reasonable price here in Switzerland. Feel free to AMA! :D

Welcome!! Try a Realforce 87U 55g!

Thanks for the welcome! But the Realforce is crazy expensive, no?

Offline mscientist

• Eclectic Imaging
« Reply #402 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 16:22:50 »
Designing a keyboard is a huge undertaking - from designing the PCB, the electronics, the switches, the case, finding somewhere to get it all made, putting it together, responding to queries from curious people ;)

Yes, but isn't it wonderful to start with something you don't have a clue about? I find this rather appealing.  :)

But if you have a Model F, why would you be looking for any other keyboard? :p

I can't wait to shock my friends with it. ;D But the goal after next is a kind of Space Cadet.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #403 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 06:06:21 »
Hey there GH!

So I have:

Welcome to Geekhack!

Don't get to hear about the yellow Kailh switches, and I think I read somewhere that they are discontinued.  Apart from not liking linear, any other thoughts on them?

A nice collection you have started :)  If you want a 60%, the Pok3r is a very popular keyboard that you should be able to pickup with MX clears.

And one good point for US ANSI boards - much easier to get replacement keycap sets!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline EN34

« Reply #404 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 11:08:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Don't get to hear about the yellow Kailh switches, and I think I read somewhere that they are discontinued.  Apart from not liking linear, any other thoughts on them?

A nice collection you have started :)  If you want a 60%, the Pok3r is a very popular keyboard that you should be able to pickup with MX clears.

And one good point for US ANSI boards - much easier to get replacement keycap sets!

Well.. I have done some extensive research on the availabilty on the pok3r with clears, but it just simply is so expensive with shipping and everything that I have to focus on boards that I can get cheaper. So I could get the Novatouch for 140$ (almost 1:1 with chf) shipping and customs included and the pok3r would cost me 180$.
I will do a little more research on the Novatouch, if maybe you could tell me if it's good?

About linear, I just type so slow and do so many typos on them that I cannot enjoy typing on them. I just need some kind of feedback to feel comfortable when typing.

Ah, almost forgot. Thanks for the welcome! :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #405 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 05:53:51 »
Well.. I have done some extensive research on the availabilty on the pok3r with clears, but it just simply is so expensive with shipping and everything that I have to focus on boards that I can get cheaper. So I could get the Novatouch for 140$ (almost 1:1 with chf) shipping and customs included and the pok3r would cost me 180$.
I will do a little more research on the Novatouch, if maybe you could tell me if it's good?

About linear, I just type so slow and do so many typos on them that I cannot enjoy typing on them. I just need some kind of feedback to feel comfortable when typing.

Ah, almost forgot. Thanks for the welcome! :)

That's weird that a Topre keyboard is much cheaper than a Pok3r!  It's usually the opposite, by about the same difference too.

I have not used a Novatouch - I'm waiting for a 55g version before I'd consider it.  But other people have, and here's a few review links for a bit of light reading for you:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74848.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63902.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64855.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63073.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61075.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63577.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62407.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Calraquin

« Reply #406 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 15:02:24 »
Hey y'all. I am new to the magical world of mechanical keyboards, only having had my poker 2 for about 2 weeks now but I will never go back to that dark place of just rubber domes. I Just wanted to introduce myself here as it seems like such an expansive knowledge and communication base and I'd love to be more involved!
I recently got my Eve keycap set in but can't stand the ABS compared to the pokers stock thick PBT :(.  My keyboard is now half and half with stock alphas. Hopefully more sets come out in PBT in the future.

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #407 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 21:30:12 »
A couple newbie questions:

- According to this page, I've made 6 posts, but it says I only have 2 posts under my username on the left. How come?

- How do I get multi-quote to work?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #408 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 21:31:28 »

- According to this page, I've made 6 posts, but it says I only have 2 posts under my username. How come?

Several forums on GH don't count towards your post count, including Off Topic and Classifieds.

For multi-quote, click the multi-quote button on the threads in question, then scroll to the bottom and click Reply.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #409 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 22:01:38 »

- According to this page, I've made 6 posts, but it says I only have 2 posts under my username. How come?

Several forums on GH don't count towards your post count, including Off Topic and Classifieds.

For multi-quote, click the multi-quote button on the threads in question, then scroll to the bottom and click Reply.

Thanks for the info.

I figured out that multi-quote just doesn't work in Edge. It works as expected in Chrome.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #410 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 22:05:22 »

Thanks for the info.

I figured out that multi-quote just doesn't work in Edge. It works as expected in Chrome.

The reply post page also includes a list of previous replies underneath the edit window. Each post has an "Insert Quote" button at the top that basically works the same way as multi-quote.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline mattsupreme

« Reply #411 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 19:47:00 »
What's up geekhack!

Finally decided to signup after way too long of lurking every board for the past 2-3 years.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #412 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 03:28:47 »
Hello everyone!! Just got my Pok3r in the mail today!!

Offline richfiles

« Reply #413 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 04:15:28 »
New here, might as well get the formalities out of the way. So, I've been researching mechanical keyboards for the passed month. All started when I decided to build a "sim-pit" for Kerbal Space Program. I have some nice hardware for the project, but wanted a compact keyboard that could still sit in front of me, and not take up so much space as to interfere with the joysticks.

I have an Apple //c keyboard that uses Alps SKCM Amber switches. I LOVE the feel of that keyboard, and always wanted to put it to use, so I considered mounting it into my control panel, between the two joysticks. Unfortunately, I realized having a keyboard front and center takes a LOT of space that I want for things like toggles and big red buttons that say [ABORT]... And second, I like fully featured keyboards. That's when I discovered the 75% layout.

I decided that I need to focus on a PRIMARY mechanical keyboard. I'll add a battery and a bluetooth module to my Apple //c keyboard, and make it into a portable clicky mechanical keyboard.

For my primary keyboard, I'll be using the awesome looking "Danger Zone" keycap set (on Massdrop), cause I love the aviation theme, and feel it'll compliment my Kerbal Space Program controller well. I've also put together a modified version of the 75% layout. I wasn't satisfied with just 4 extra keys. I wanted ALL my navigation keys, and more! By adding an extra column, I can gat a total of 88 keys, while only increasing my width by 1u! I can even use standard TKL key caps for it! No odd sizes needed!

As for what I'm typing on now... I have a first gen iMac membrane keyboard with the 78 ui jk and m, columns shorting together, and multiple keys that jam up if not hit perfectly straight downward, due to wear... You can't imagine the editing this post required to not look like garbage! There may still be a few errors... :O

NEED MECHANICAL KEYBOARD SOON!!!

Here's my "75% + 1" layout:

... Posts still 0... So the forum topic that asks people to make their first post in... doesn't actually count... Ugh...  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2015, 01:13:35 by richfiles »
"75% + 1" Keyboard with "Danger Zone" keycaps and magnetically detachable Number Pad. Dyed Gateron Blue switches with amber sub lighting. Blue anodized plate and wood trim. (Firmware in Progress)
Bluetooth Apple //c keyboard with Alps SKCM Amber Switches. (Build in Progress)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #414 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 05:15:40 »
Hey y'all. I am new to the magical world of mechanical keyboards, only having had my poker 2 for about 2 weeks now but I will never go back to that dark place of just rubber domes. I Just wanted to introduce myself here as it seems like such an expansive knowledge and communication base and I'd love to be more involved!
I recently got my Eve keycap set in but can't stand the ABS compared to the pokers stock thick PBT :(.  My keyboard is now half and half with stock alphas. Hopefully more sets come out in PBT in the future.

Welcome to Geekhack!

It's amazing what a difference a mechanical keyboard makes.  And you probably never even gave the keyboard in front of you a second thought!  I know I didn't :))

I think it's off topic, classifieds and new members posts don't count.

What's up geekhack!

Finally decided to signup after way too long of lurking every board for the past 2-3 years.

Welcome to Geekhack!

You've been lurking that long?!?  About time then :p

What keyboard/s have you got?

Hello everyone!! Just got my Pok3r in the mail today!!

Welcome to Geekhack!

Very popular keyboard, the Pok3r (and its predecessors).  Which switches have you got in it?

New here, might as well get the formalities out of the way. So, I've been researching mechanical keyboards for the passed month. All started when I decided to build a "sim-pit" for Kerbal Space Program. I have some nice hardware for the project, but wanted a compact keyboard that could still sit in front of me, and not take up so much space as to interfere with the joysticks.

I have an Apple //c keyboard that uses Alps SKCM Amber switches. I LOVE the feel of that keyboard, and always wanted to put it to use, so I considered mounting it into my control panel, between the two joysticks. Unfortunately, I realized having a keyboard front and center takes a LOT of space that I want for things like toggles and big red buttons that say [ABORT]... And second, I like fully featured keyboards. That's when I discovered the 75% layout.

I decided that I need to focus on a PRIMARY mechanical keyboard. I'll add a battery and a bluetooth module to my Apple //c keyboard, and make it into a portable clicky mechanical keyboard.

For my primary keyboard, I'll be using the awesome looking "Danger Zone" keycap set (on Massdrop), cause I love the aviation theme, and feel it'll compliment my Kerbal Space Program controller well. I've also put together a modified version of the 75% layout. I wasn't satisfied with just 4 extra keys. I wanted ALL my navigation keys, and more! By adding an extra column, I can gat a total of 88 keys, while only increasing my width by 1u! I can even use standard TKL key caps for it! No odd sizes needed!

As for what I'm typing on now... I have a first gen iMac membrane keyboard with the 78 ui jk and m, columns shorting together, and multiple keys that jam up if not hit perfectly straight downward, due to wear... You can't imagine the editing this post required to not look like garbage! There may still be a few errors... :O

NEED MECHANICAL KEYBOARD SOON!!!

Here's my "75% + 1" layout:

... Posts still 0... So the forum topic that asks people to make their first post in... doesn't actually count... Ugh...  :rolleyes:

Welcome to Geekhack!

A consistent theme across keyboard and other input peripherals looks great if its done well.

And no, posts in the new members area don't count, nor do they in classifieds or off topic.

But there are plenty of other areas to post in :)

Offline MikeTheTiger

Welcome new members!
« Reply #415 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 15:09:17 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

Very popular keyboard, the Pok3r (and its predecessors).  Which switches have you got in it?

I got Cherry reds. I like it kinda quiet. Lol.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #416 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 02:59:05 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

I got Cherry reds. I like it kinda quiet. Lol.

One of the quieter switches, yes.  And if you want to dampen the bottom out sound to make it even quieter, you could install O-rings under the keycaps.  Little rubber rings that shorten the down stroke a little bit, but do stop the bottom out sound.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #417 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 03:46:38 »

One of the quieter switches, yes.  And if you want to dampen the bottom out sound to make it even quieter, you could install O-rings under the keycaps.  Little rubber rings that shorten the down stroke a little bit, but do stop the bottom out sound.

Good to know. I might have to try that out. Thanks!

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #418 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 08:34:16 »
I just posted in the main forum, but thought I'd say hello here as well! Short-time lurker and brand new to the hobby, I'm really looking forward to getting more involved in the community and seeing how much money I can spend  :'(. This is what I have/ordered within a week of discovering just how deep the rabbit hole goes:

Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with MX Browns (this is actually my current keyboard)
Pok3r with MX Blues
Blue/Green Backlit KB Paradise v60 Mini with MX Clears
x2 60% Tex Aluminium Cases (silver and blue)
Danger Zone SA Keycap Set
Yellow/Blue/Grey Paracord USB from /u/90N1NE
Vortex Doubleshop PBT Keycaps (white and blue)
x2 NPKC Blank PBT Keycaps (light blue and mango)
x3 Hot Keys Project Artisan Keycaps (Black/Purple Trooper & Raven, Steel Blue Armor Cap v2 (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61096.0)

I'd say help me.... but I am rather excited to make my first custom board. Anyways, thanks for having me!
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #419 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 02:56:48 »
I just posted in the main forum, but thought I'd say hello here as well! Short-time lurker and brand new to the hobby, I'm really looking forward to getting more involved in the community and seeing how much money I can spend  :'(. This is what I have/ordered within a week of discovering just how deep the rabbit hole goes:

Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with MX Browns (this is actually my current keyboard)
Pok3r with MX Blues
Blue/Green Backlit KB Paradise v60 Mini with MX Clears
x2 60% Tex Aluminium Cases (silver and blue)
Danger Zone SA Keycap Set
Yellow/Blue/Grey Paracord USB from /u/90N1NE
Vortex Doubleshop PBT Keycaps (white and blue)
x2 NPKC Blank PBT Keycaps (light blue and mango)
x3 Hot Keys Project Artisan Keycaps (Black/Purple Trooper & Raven, Steel Blue Armor Cap v2 (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61096.0)

I'd say help me.... but I am rather excited to make my first custom board. Anyways, thanks for having me!

Welcome to Geekhack!

I've replied to your other thread already :)

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #420 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 09:34:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I've replied to your other thread already :)

Thanks for the warm welcome and the sage advice  :))
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Japa

« Reply #421 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 20:01:19 »
Hi!  :)

I have a mechanical keyboard ( 6gv2 ). It has black mx switches. So I ordered 2 custom keys ( Valve Portal themed ) to try a simple first mod. Now I'm looking to get a pok3r keyboard, but would like to now first if it's possible to do something with my existing one?

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #422 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 21:46:11 »

I have a mechanical keyboard ( 6gv2 ). It has black mx switches. So I ordered 2 custom keys ( Valve Portal themed ) to try a simple first mod. Now I'm looking to get a pok3r keyboard, but would like to now first if it's possible to do something with my existing one?

Welcome! What do you mean by doing something with your existing one? Like replace switches? You'll find a world of opportunity with a soldering iron/solder and some patience...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #423 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 05:16:57 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

What were you thinking of doing with your existing one?

See the problem with the 6GV2 is that Enter key.  No-one makes a replacement Enter key for it, so any replacement keycap set will be missing a key element.

That was a pun, by the way ;)

You could paint the case - I think they all came with black cases, so painting it, say, white would make quite a contrast.

Offline mozimus

« Reply #424 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 22:23:23 »
Hi there!
I just ordered a Pok3r with clears to replace my battle-damaged CMStorm Trigger with blacks.
I decided that now is the best time to dive into this awesome community and expand on the hobby!
I look forward to getting to know you guys :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #425 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 04:29:25 »
Hi there!
I just ordered a Pok3r with clears to replace my battle-damaged CMStorm Trigger with blacks.
I decided that now is the best time to dive into this awesome community and expand on the hobby!
I look forward to getting to know you guys :)

Welcome to Geekhack!

Great keyboard, Pok3r, very popular, and standard layout too, which will make replacement keycaps, should you choose to go that way, easy.

Also clears are a great contrast to blacks - both are non-clicky, but clears have that so nice tactile bump half way down.

Out of curiosity, where are you getting your Pok3r from?

Offline zip_ana_dublecup

« Reply #426 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 18:17:57 »
Hello all. I just bought my first mech about a month ago. Since then I have picked up a second poker II, 5 capsets, and a translucent warmaster. I was pointed this direction for war of betrayal sales.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #427 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 04:44:01 »
Hello all. I just bought my first mech about a month ago. Since then I have picked up a second poker II, 5 capsets, and a translucent warmaster. I was pointed this direction for war of betrayal sales.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Or welcome to Wallethack, as it is sometimes called, and as I suspect you are beginning to realise ;)

War of Betrayal - that would be this:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69360.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70558.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71825.0

Good luck!

Offline mozimus

« Reply #428 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 05:45:01 »

Hi Rowdy, I ordered it on Massdrop, seems to be the best option for us Aussies right now!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #429 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 03:35:34 »

Hi Rowdy, I ordered it on Massdrop, seems to be the best option for us Aussies right now!

Fair enough.  Yes, Massdrop does seem to ship things at a reasonable cost.  Just hoped they've packed it well.

We don't need to go into the Triumph Adler fiasco.  And my CODE keyboard was shipped in a large box with plenty of bubble wrap ... on TOP of the keyboard.  Nothing underneath though.  The keyboard was in its own CODE box, so at least there were a few layers of cardboard between it and the ground.  But still.

Offline Japa

« Reply #430 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 16:11:54 »

Welcome! What do you mean by doing something with your existing one? Like replace switches? You'll find a world of opportunity with a soldering iron/solder and some patience...

Thanks. I think that's a bit too much of a task for me.

Welcome to Geekhack!

What were you thinking of doing with your existing one?

See the problem with the 6GV2 is that Enter key.  No-one makes a replacement Enter key for it, so any replacement keycap set will be missing a key element.

That was a pun, by the way ;)

You could paint the case - I think they all came with black cases, so painting it, say, white would make quite a contrast.

Yes, that enter key is no good and I would really like to get some custom key caps, at some point. Painting the case is something I could try, thanks.

Offline Omnissiah

« Reply #431 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 19:42:07 »
Hi Mech comrades !

I'm here finding a brand new Ducky Shine3 (DK9087S3-BUSALAAG). I will look in the marketplace section, so wish me luck.

... and, nice theme on the forum (Nostalgia)
Filco Ninja TKL MX-Blues .-. Poker2 MX-Clear

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #432 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 05:10:30 »
Hi Mech comrades !

I'm here finding a brand new Ducky Shine3 (DK9087S3-BUSALAAG). I will look in the marketplace section, so wish me luck.

... and, nice theme on the forum (Nostalgia)

Welcome to Geekhack!

Ducky Shine 3 is an older model, as 4 has come out, and maybe even 5 as well.

Yes, classifieds would be the best place to look, unless there are any vendors out there with some old stock still.

Offline Omnissiah

« Reply #433 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 19:54:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
Thank you Rowdy.

Ducky Shine 3 is an older model, as 4 has come out, and maybe even 5 as well.
Yes, I know (it was released at 2013), but it seems Ducky has no plans for TKL Shine4, and neither Shine5 (rumor??)  :'(

Yes, classifieds would be the best place to look, unless there are any vendors out there with some old stock still.
I've looked at lot of stores and none has the exact model I'm looking for ... my last resort are the Indonesian stores.
Filco Ninja TKL MX-Blues .-. Poker2 MX-Clear

Offline tagis72

!
« Reply #434 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 18:18:04 »
Looking forward to learning a lot of great things from people as i start building keyboards for fun!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #435 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 00:04:25 »
Looking forward to learning a lot of great things from people as i start building keyboards for fun!

Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a lot of good reading material in the recommended reading thread, especially if you are thinking of building your own keyboard.

Good luck! :)

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #436 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 15:45:21 »
Hello, I am new here. I have a ducky shine 3 tkl with red switches and an old apple standard m0116 with orange alps. I quite like the orange alps.
Biking is fun.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #437 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 16:08:21 »
Hello, I am new here. I have a ducky shine 3 tkl with red switches and an old apple standard m0116 with orange alps. I quite like the orange alps.

Hi! I'm new here too, but welcome! I want to try Alps, actually I want to try them all. I have a Ducky Shine 2 TKL with black switches.  :thumb:

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline finnu

« Reply #438 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 20:58:53 »
Hi, I just joined! I have a Ducky One with Cherry MX Browns, it's the new budget fullsize Ducky came out with alongside the Shine 5. Now that I've had it for a while, I've realized that backlighting and the numpad mean less to me than I thought and I plan to sell it so I can get a Poker 3 (for the PBTs, portability, programmability, aluminum case, etc.). I made my avatar an HHKB because those are so awesome, but I could never afford one or convince myself that it is worth the money (sigh). Maybe someday though.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Q!
« Reply #439 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:08:49 »

Welcome! I recommend talking with CPTBadAss about Alps as well as Nubbinator and njbair. Those are just names off the top of my head, there are many more lovers of Alps here.

Hi, I just joined! I have a Ducky One with Cherry MX Browns, it's the new budget fullsize Ducky came out with alongside the Shine 5. Now that I've had it for a while, I've realized that backlighting and the numpad mean less to me than I thought and I plan to sell it so I can get a Poker 3 (for the PBTs, portability, programmability, aluminum case, etc.). I made my avatar an HHKB because those are so awesome, but I could never afford one or convince myself that it is worth the money (sigh). Maybe someday though.

HHKBs are well worth the money! You can most certainly get one used for a reasonable price if you scour the classifieds.

Hi! I'm new here too, but welcome! I want to try Alps, actually I want to try them all. I have a Ducky Shine 2 TKL with black switches.  :thumb:

Welcome!

I still need to try Alps as well!

On a side note, Rowdy must be taking a break right now.

Offline mozimus

« Reply #440 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 23:25:14 »

Fair enough.  Yes, Massdrop does seem to ship things at a reasonable cost.  Just hoped they've packed it well.

We don't need to go into the Triumph Adler fiasco. And my CODE keyboard was shipped in a large box with plenty of bubble wrap ... on TOP of the keyboard.  Nothing underneath though.  The keyboard was in its own CODE box, so at least there were a few layers of cardboard between it and the ground.  But still.

Just got my Pok3r today; so exactly ^that^ happened and the box is pretty dinged up, but the board itself is perfect. I read on the Massdrop discussion page that some people recieved their boards completely warped! I got lucky I guess.

I am in love the clears, they're a great deal better than any other key switch that I have tried (which isn't that many)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #441 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:20:28 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

It's a shame there aren't as many Alps keyboards still being made.  Matias have designed a modern Alps switch, and have a few new keyboards using that switch, but sometimes you just can't go past the old classic switches :)

Welcome to Geekhack!

I started with a couple of backlit full size Duckys, and quickly switched to TKL keyboards.  The difference in having the mouse closer to my body's centreline is huge!

If you can put a little money away each month and watch classifieds and eBay, you might be lucky and find an HHKB at a good price one day, and after saving a little each month you might be able to buy it there and then!

Just got my Pok3r today; so exactly ^that^ happened and the box is pretty dinged up, but the board itself is perfect. I read on the Massdrop discussion page that some people recieved their boards completely warped! I got lucky I guess.

I am in love the clears, they're a great deal better than any other key switch that I have tried (which isn't that many)

Their packing department has got a lot to answer for!  But it's good that yours arrived safely.  Kinda awkward having to arrange returns from all the way out here.

For a lightly warped keyboard, it is always possible to try grasping diagonally opposite corners and gently twisting it back into shape.  A neat little trick that works well for wobbly keyboards, of which I have had a couple.

Offline SunPanda

« Reply #442 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 22:19:36 »
Wasn't sure where to ask this so I'll just ask it here, why does it say i only have 7 posts when I have 13. Just curious :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2015, 22:21:11 by SunPanda »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #443 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 20:51:40 »
Wasn't sure where to ask this so I'll just ask it here, why does it say i only have 7 posts when I have 13. Just curious :D

there are certain subforums that dont count towards your post count.

well, actually, with the **** fest that went on with brocaps/reddit this whole site isnt registering posts right now. which sucks, how am i suppose to validate myself without those magical numbers?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #444 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 23:52:22 »

there are certain subforums that dont count towards your post count.

well, actually, with the **** fest that went on with brocaps/reddit this whole site isnt registering posts right now. which sucks, how am i suppose to validate myself without those magical numbers?

We are all in timeout.

Which makes me wonder whether the Captcha will go away for new members, and how are newish members supposed to get to 25 posts so they can create threads in classifieds?

Offline shibataken

« Reply #445 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 12:49:41 »
Hello Geekhack!  Completely new member and just joined this hobby just last week!  My wallet already has a hole in it XD

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #446 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 14:20:15 »
Hello GH!

I have been into this hobby for a couple of months now, yet haven't lurked geekhack much.   I currently own a POK3R with MX Browns and I've got a Varmilo VA87MR with MX Blues on its way as well as some DSA Dolch caps for it.  I've picked up some LEDs so some day I'll open up my POK3R to install them.  In the short time that I've been into keyboards, I've tried to learn as much as possible (and I intend to keep learning) so naturally, I've stumbled upon GH on several occasions.  :thumb:  I'm looking forward to getting to know the community and not spending too much $ so yeah.  words words conclusion.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline devbryce

« Reply #447 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 20:43:22 »
Hey guys, I'm new here! Just thought I'd say hi!
65% Life | Neutrino | WhiteFox | TADA68 | RS68

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #448 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 01:36:25 »
Hello Geekhack!  Completely new member and just joined this hobby just last week!  My wallet already has a hole in it XD

Welcome to Geekhack!

They don't call this Wallethack for nothing ;)

Hello GH!

I have been into this hobby for a couple of months now, yet haven't lurked geekhack much.   I currently own a POK3R with MX Browns and I've got a Varmilo VA87MR with MX Blues on its way as well as some DSA Dolch caps for it.  I've picked up some LEDs so some day I'll open up my POK3R to install them.  In the short time that I've been into keyboards, I've tried to learn as much as possible (and I intend to keep learning) so naturally, I've stumbled upon GH on several occasions.  :thumb:  I'm looking forward to getting to know the community and not spending too much $ so yeah.  words words conclusion.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Nice keyboards :)

Where did you find the DSA Dolch?  I was going to get a set and decided against it when the original GB was running ... fortunately!

Welcome to Geekhack!

Browns for days - what do you use at night? ;)

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #449 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 11:24:17 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

They don't call this Wallethack for nothing ;)

Hello GH!

Welcome to Geekhack!

Nice keyboards :)

Where did you find the DSA Dolch?  I was going to get a set and decided against it when the original GB was running ... fortunately!

Welcome to Geekhack!

Browns for days - what do you use at night? ;)

Thanks!  I got the DSA Dolch keyset from Massdrop a while back so I'm still waiting on them.  I had originally planned to put them on the Varmilo, but after reading peoples' comments, they might end up on my smaller pok3r.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black