Author Topic: [IC] Doro67 - Integrated Plate 65% (Updated RGB PCB option, GB coming real soon)  (Read 53160 times)

Offline _ODIN_

Re: [IC] Doro67 - Integrated Plate 65% (GB coming soon)
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 13:37:56 »
Since I'm planing on buying this thing, I almost feel obligated to try to further improve the design of the boards.

So I was looking at the pictures you provided and two things came to my mind:

- you should try to make it as low as possible. OP stated in the first post his goal from the start was to make a low profile keyboard, and I certainly encourage that. However, there seem to be few millimetres left inside that could be used to lower the plate even more.

One of the keys of making a low profile keyboard is a thin slab at the bottom, so I don't mind it's just 3 mm. More than enough weight in total considering the thickness of the upper part. However, feets seem to be placed on a thin slab and that bring us to my next point:

- feets are way too small and wimpy looking for such a heavy board. I mean, just look at this thing

Show Image

Feets in general are known as the first point of failure on any keyboard, and this is why they should be generously sized. I don't want those tiny feet to unglue after 6 months of use. Look at Clueboard feets.

Show Image

And then, finally, speaking of feets, placement is not unimportant. In this case, since Doro67 is basically just one giant plate, the best way to place them would be on a plate itself. This kind of design would provide firm, rigid sense of being anchored to the table. Placing feets on a slab brings risk of resonance and small vibrations when typing. I think it's a good idea to make an iregular shape slab that "avoids" feets on the corners of the case.
Agree that the feet should be larger

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 19:45:15 »

Thanks for your feedback. I agree that 2.75/2.25 split is not comfortable. unfortunately, this 2-1-1-2 split spacebar will probably not be supported.

1. I don't think GMK or SP have 2U convex spacebars. correct me if I'm wrong. I know some profile like XDA have concave 2U, but they also have convex 2.25 and 2.75.

Actually, GMK does produce convex 2U spacebars. Just open up the last interest checks page here on geekhack. Almost all of the popular keysets do have 2U spacebars as an extra (GMK Chocolatier, GMK Carbon R2 etc.)

2. I don't think there will be enough demand for this split.

What about split-backspace? Is there any hope for that? If we can't even get split-backspace, then that would be a very bad news, enough for me to give up on this IC.

We have updated split backspace will be available for $20 customization fee.

Default option will not have split backspace.

Offline Macflag

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 09:29:04 »
When is the GB scheduled to start? Did you get enough interest for a ISO option and brass weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 14:10:11 »
When is the GB scheduled to start? Did you get enough interest for a ISO option and brass weight?

As soon as we finish inspecting the second prototype - could be this week or next!

We will do an IC for brass bottom slab. We want to get a pricing before doing the IC so it's more accurate.

For ISO, it will be $20 customization fee, which has been updated earlier.

Offline Oakelfire

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 15:09:49 »
I'm likely in for a white top and brass bottom slab. Would look sick!

Offline ZombieOfZimbabwe

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 15:23:57 »
will the PCB support in-switch/ trough hole LEDs ?

This PCB will not. Only caps indicator. My friend is making more powerful PCB tho.
Will you be able to buy it during the GB?

I will check with my friend before GB start. :)

Seconding on this, really a dream kit if it gets led support

Offline Gghi

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 16:25:26 »
Since I'm planing on buying this thing, I almost feel obligated to try to further improve the design of the boards.

So I was looking at the pictures you provided and two things came to my mind:

- you should try to make it as low as possible. OP stated in the first post his goal from the start was to make a low profile keyboard, and I certainly encourage that. However, there seem to be few millimetres left inside that could be used to lower the plate even more.

One of the keys of making a low profile keyboard is a thin slab at the bottom, so I don't mind it's just 3 mm. More than enough weight in total considering the thickness of the upper part. However, feets seem to be placed on a thin slab and that bring us to my next point:

- feets are way too small and wimpy looking for such a heavy board. I mean, just look at this thing

Show Image

Feets in general are known as the first point of failure on any keyboard, and this is why they should be generously sized. I don't want those tiny feet to unglue after 6 months of use. Look at Clueboard feets.

Show Image

And then, finally, speaking of feets, placement is not unimportant. In this case, since Doro67 is basically just one giant plate, the best way to place them would be on a plate itself. This kind of design would provide firm, rigid sense of being anchored to the table. Placing feets on a slab brings risk of resonance and small vibrations when typing. I think it's a good idea to make an iregular shape slab that "avoids" feets on the corners of the case.

Thanks for interesting in this keyboard.

The first prototype does have some space left, and I already lower the height in the new prototype.

I choose these round rubber mainly because of its curly surface. I don't wanna use those rectangular ones with sharp edges.

I've seen lots of more heavier keyboards using similar size of rubbers. trust me, it will be ok.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 August 2018, 16:27:15 by Gghi »

Offline Gghi

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 19:25:22 »

There is a delay due to the manufacturer, should be launch after I get and test the final proto (end of this month hopefully).

We wanna cut the plate as little as possible, so we decide extra $20 for custom layout. We will provide brass bottom as an addon.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 20:52:54 »
Second prototype anodization is in order, GB coming soon!

* 85B92258-32C2-4816-A96E-7080F9C62670.MOV (489.48 kB - downloaded 141 times.)

Offline Gghi

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 23:18:05 »

new bottom with logo, hasn't been sandblasted and anodized
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 August 2018, 23:32:17 by Gghi »

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 00:02:40 »
Show Image

Show Image

I prefer the logo without the text

Offline prod

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 00:45:19 »
Show Image

Show Image

looks nice
Chicory|YDPv2(BLUP)|BLE40|Daisy|YDPM|YD40w|Golbat

Offline adamcobabe

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 05:19:56 »
Show Image

Show Image

Every trace has a via. :rolleyes: Can I pay extra to not have the logo?

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 06:59:35 »
Looks good. I don't mind the logo as long as it's on the underside

Could you please post some pictures from the front and from the sides. I can't open those *MOV files on my mobile phone.

Offline 0ctav3

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 08:05:49 »
I dig it. No reason not to put your logo on the bottom. You guys are working hard on it.

Offline V. Vega

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 09:39:14 »
I've never bought a custom but I really like this and I think it'll be my first! 65 is my favorite layout and I love heavy boards, so I'd love to see a weight as well.
I don't generally care for logos on anything, but I don't think it matters if it's on the bottom. It's no different than a painter signing their art in the corner.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2018, 09:41:12 by V. Vega »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 11:38:11 »
I've never bought a custom but I really like this and I think it'll be my first! 65 is my favorite layout and I love heavy boards, so I'd love to see a weight as well.
I don't generally care for logos on anything, but I don't think it matters if it's on the bottom. It's no different than a painter signing their art in the corner.

Thanks for the support my friend

Offline dario

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 12:02:46 »
After some struggle with ****ty video players on android, somehow I managed to open those MOV files.

Now I can see some differences between gen1 and gen2 prototype. Yes, keyboard sits a little bit lower than before, and that's a good thing. Also, I can see you changed the way plate supports feet by adding corner pillars of aluminium inside, and that's a good thing too.

However, I can also see that side panels of the case are significantly thinner than before. Is there any specific reason for this? Maybe cost saving? I don't know.

Also, if you make brass slab as an option, I think I'll take that too. But there is a catch when it comes to brass. Brass is a copper alloy  and copper likes to react with oxygen. This is not corrosion, but it is oxidation of some sort, and creates brown patina. If you want to do brass slab properly, you have to do PVD coating (anodizing brass is not possible). PVD is expensive, it's probably the most expensive method of coating, but it is what it is.

Offline Gghi

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 12:21:59 »
After some struggle with ****ty video players on android, somehow I managed to open those MOV files.

Now I can see some differences between gen1 and gen2 prototype. Yes, keyboard sits a little bit lower than before, and that's a good thing. Also, I can see you changed the way plate supports feet by adding corner pillars of aluminium inside, and that's a good thing too.

However, I can also see that side panels of the case are significantly thinner than before. Is there any specific reason for this? Maybe cost saving? I don't know.

Also, if you make brass slab as an option, I think I'll take that too. But there is a catch when it comes to brass. Brass is a copper alloy  and copper likes to react with oxygen. This is not corrosion, but it is oxidation of some sort, and creates brown patina. If you want to do brass slab properly, you have to do PVD coating (anodizing brass is not possible). PVD is expensive, it's probably the most expensive method of coating, but it is what it is.

As prototypes, I'd like to have some difference (thickness, bezels, etc) to compare. I will compare the 2 protos, carefully choose the features, try to make a reasonable final product.

As the brass bottom, if we offer that choice, it will be PVD. We will provide what we believe's the best.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 12:41:00 »

As prototypes, I'd like to have some difference (thickness, bezels, etc) to compare. I will compare the 2 protos, carefully choose the features, try to make a reasonable final product.

As the brass bottom, if we offer that choice, it will be PVD. We will provide what we believe's the best.

End game for you, end game for me :)

Offline dario

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 12:44:48 »

In all honesty, I'd like to have as thin bezels as possible (like Clueboard), but I have no idea how many people shares my opinion.

You said it.  :cool:
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2018, 12:47:23 by dario »

Offline Gghi

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 14:21:24 »

In all honesty, I'd like to have as thin bezels as possible (like Clueboard), but I have no idea how many people shares my opinion.

It will not thin, that is for sure.

Offline dario

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 14:50:50 »
Yeah, I know it won't. It was designed after RAMA after all.

But maybe there is still a way to optimize design as it is, in a sense that a keyboard would be easier to pick up in hands and move around the table.

Zambumon makes this kind of "hand slots" on his keyboards (Zambumon Verne) and I think it makes alot of sense. It doesn't have to be anything exaggerated, just a small dent somewhere on the side for fingers when you want to quickly pick up a keyboard.

Offline lovetree

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 18:57:22 »

It will not thin, that is for sure.

Thanks God, it is not thin one like many others.  :thumb:

Offline dario

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 06:46:31 »

Many other? What others? There is only one custom integrated plate board (with slim bezels), and that is Clueboard.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2018, 06:48:29 by dario »

Offline lovetree

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 09:26:25 »

Many other? What others? There is only one custom integrated plate board (with slim bezels), and that is Clueboard.

I did not talk about only integrated plate board, recent GBs for board in my local had (too) thin bezel with them which were out of my taste.
Are you satisfied with my response or are there certain reason I have to convince you?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 09:34:50 »
So, this is launching in a few days:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnBwfYgjelh/?taken-by=ramaworks

I personally prefer the design of the Doro67, but the new Rama board will have RGB and hotswap if that matters to you
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2018, 09:40:28 by pixelpusher »

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 09:40:55 »

hmm... integrated thick plate, daughterboard USB-C, wide bezels, M65-A inspired case design....

Is Rama copying Doro67?!?!?!  :eek:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 09:51:46 »

hmm... integrated thick plate, daughterboard USB-C, wide bezels, M65-A inspired case design....

hehehe

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 09:56:48 »
Also, I wish RAMA would be more transparent about his plans instead of waiting a few days before make a fully fledged product announcement

I like the approach that Leandren took where he showed all of his upcoming ideas and now they are coming to fruition.  Keeping it a secret kinda screws up people's plans

Oh, and this is in every way better than the M65-a, making me really sad.  I guess it's the Apple approach where we have to buy a new Rama board every 2 years b/c the new one makes our old one look like a turd
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2018, 10:07:39 by pixelpusher »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 10:09:44 »

I personally prefer the design of the Doro67, but the new Rama board will have RGB and hotswap if that matters to you

RGB and hotswap seem good features I'd be interested in. Is Wilba making PCB for Rama?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 10:14:35 »

RGB and hotswap seem good features I'd be interested in. Is Wilba making PCB for Rama?

he is, indeed.

Offline Gghi

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 14:21:55 »

LOL... :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [IC] Doro67 - Integrated Plate 65% (Brass Bottom IC open, GB coming soon)
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 16:01:42 »
Here is the Google IC form for the brass bottom slab and logo options: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NiV8q4Gwtdp_m5aCPQ_iM__QH3FbCYZGiID5pmqjiH8

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
Re: [IC] Doro67 - Integrated Plate 65% (Brass Bottom Poll Open, GB coming soon)
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 19:42:05 »

wilba pls

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 01:58:26 »

Rama m65 inspires Doro67
Doro67 inspires Koyu65

Rama copies Rama  :eek: mindblown.jpeg

Offline Gghi

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 17:21:11 »
We can offer black looking brass PVD if got enough interest.

Offline bard

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 18:07:42 »

do you have a sample? :eek:

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #188 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 18:35:25 »
Also, I wish RAMA would be more transparent about his plans instead of waiting a few days before make a fully fledged product announcement

I like the approach that Leandren took where he showed all of his upcoming ideas and now they are coming to fruition.  Keeping it a secret kinda screws up people's plans

I was under the impression almost everyone knew the M65 "revamp" was coming sooner or later, RAMA has been nothing but forthcoming about his plans far as I know. I don't think you need a 12 month notice like Leadrenn gave.

Offline Gghi

« Reply #189 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 21:21:15 »

I asked for a sample. probably not the bottom, just a piece of brass PVD.

Offline bard

« Reply #190 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 03:12:56 »

I asked for a sample. probably not the bottom, just a piece of brass PVD.
That all what we need!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 13:47:39 »

I was under the impression almost everyone knew the M65 "revamp" was coming sooner or later, RAMA has been nothing but forthcoming about his plans far as I know. I don't think you need a 12 month notice like Leadrenn gave.

Im on GH every day as well as Keebtalk.  I browse r/MK every now and then.  Had no idea.

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 14:02:47 »

Im on GH every day as well as Keebtalk.  I browse r/MK every now and then.  Had no idea.

Looks like you're gonna hafta get on Instagram now  ;D

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #193 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 14:04:09 »

I follow RAMA in insta

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 14:06:52 »

I follow RAMA in insta

Huh, I'm pretty sure he made an official post recently, but as for the teasers, maybe it was just via his IG story so there is no history of it

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 14:14:30 »
Anyhooo, i really dig the Doro67 and I'm planning to pick one up in white!!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 16:02:04 »
2 additional prototypes have been made. ALF will pick up and ship to our tester next Tuesday. As soon as we make sure everything works fine, GB will start in Discord.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 16:13:42 »
Some of you asked about showing some details for the Everest White (Pearl white or whatever that's called), here is a picture, which shows the silky smooth surface. This is ALF X3 Renova - not Doro.

202744-0

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #198 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 18:22:27 »
So no Group Buy thread on geekhack?

Just remember the rules if you do decide to post something for the GB:

- geekhack.org is a community of keyboard enthusiasts and not simply an advertising platform for keyboard-related sales.  Thus we request that any group buy organizers who post their group buy threads in this section also provide updates in the thread they have started until the conclusion of the group buy, even if updates are also posted somewhere else.  Group buy threads made here are for group buy progress discussion as well as open discussion of any quality control issues.   If a group buy organizer decides to provide an off-site instant message chat option for faster order support (for example Discord), any such communication needs to be optional when it comes to non-sensitive* order information.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 18:41:12 »
So no Group Buy thread on geekhack?

Just remember the rules if you do decide to post something for the GB:

- geekhack.org is a community of keyboard enthusiasts and not simply an advertising platform for keyboard-related sales.  Thus we request that any group buy organizers who post their group buy threads in this section also provide updates in the thread they have started until the conclusion of the group buy, even if updates are also posted somewhere else.  Group buy threads made here are for group buy progress discussion as well as open discussion of any quality control issues.   If a group buy organizer decides to provide an off-site instant message chat option for faster order support (for example Discord), any such communication needs to be optional when it comes to non-sensitive* order information.

What's the issue?  The group buy for this hasn't opened yet, has it?  I wouldn't expect them to start a group buy thread until they're actually ready to start taking orders, so what are you objecting to?