Author Topic: [IC] Sabertooth 80 [Update on Pricing]  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Sabertooth

[IC] Sabertooth 80 [Update on Pricing]
« on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 00:56:19 »
Hi everyone!
I am a keyboard lover from korea.
Its my first time writing a topic here.
I used to collect keyboards, and decided to make my own.
All the planning is finished. I am in contact with the factory and to lower the price for each unit, I decided to look for others who may be interested in my keyboard.
The concept of this keyboard is a combination between modern and classic.
I know its expensive for a first GB, but there is no way I can bring the price down more because I'm making only a few of these.

-Specs-
Colour: Silver (maybe gray but with extra cost)
Layout: WKL only
Degree: 9
Mounting Method: Sandwich (just like whale but a little more harder)
Material: Aluminium 6061 and Brass for weight (SUS for gray)
Quantity: 20 (Factory told me that their price differ by 1/20/50 I decided to go with 20)
Price: Targeting 550 (no pcb included) The tight budget I've set leaves us no margin. Price including shipping and packaging)

If you are interested, please join my server
https://discord.gg/PJXAAgd6

- Notice -
For some funny reasons, people are focusing on the price 750. I never said that it would cost 750. I took it easy on the pricing range but maybe it was a mistake.
I am still contacting multiple factories from multiple countries to bring the price down. It could go below 550. Nobody knows including me.
The material of the housing will be changed to 6063.
Lately the pricing of the aluminium has gone up high. And since I am producing only a few than other GBs, it cannot be cheaper than making more.
This GB will go with no margin. I am not interested in making money through my hobby. It was planned for my own housing, but since it was too expensive to make only one for me, I decided to make a bit more to bring the price down a little. If the price is too high for you, you can pass on.
I will make a new notice when I get quotes about pricings from the factories I have been in contact with.

If a moq of 20 is not reached, only 1 unit will be produced.

-Update 10.7.2021-
Finally received a quote from local factory in Korea.
Finall pricing will be 520 USD including P.P fee excluding shipping fee. Shipping fee will be additional 80 USD. (No pcb will be included)
This is the lowest I can go with a MOQ of 20. MOQ will not be changed.
Please join the discord server down below if you are interested, and take a part in survey.

276661-0
276663-1
276665-2
276667-3
276669-4
276671-5
276673-6
276675-7
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 October 2021, 06:10:45 by Sabertooth »
TGR jane v2 / Orion v3 / Orion v2.5 / Lyn special VKG whale / Mga Alice / Serratus Chrome

Offline SDKCAMPING

Re: [IC] Sabertooth 80
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 01:16:51 »
while the board looks fine, this is way too expensive for a prety unoriginal design made of 6061 aluminum. i feel like this design has been done like 20 times. increase your MOQ to get a better price.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 October 2021, 01:19:06 by SDKCAMPING »
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 01:18:30 »
Quite nice, but seems like a pretty generic old school Korean design, good luck tho

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 01:53:24 »
look nice, have you order your prototype yet? can you show us the mounting? ne internal picture?

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 03:37:43 »
im sorry, but if you expect people to pay 750 for this, <snip>. on second thought, I'm not sorry. have this machined locally and use this as a personal board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 October 2021, 10:02:21 by HoffmanMyster »
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline tngpq

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 03:44:14 »
This looks like at least 3 years behind or maybe more... Look at the market.

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 03:45:55 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114609.0 you can make a better board for ~220 with pcb. cmon.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Linktree
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 05:17:08 »
The design is alright, its a niche design I think, being a simple rectangle, but yeah idk about the price at 20 moq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sabertooth

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 05:25:34 »
while the board looks fine, this is way too expensive for a prety unoriginal design made of 6061 aluminum. i feel like this design has been done like 20 times. increase your MOQ to get a better price.
I've been in contact with the factory and haven't decided between 6061 and 6063 yet. It was designed for my personal collection so if theres not much moq, i wll be just making only one for me
TGR jane v2 / Orion v3 / Orion v2.5 / Lyn special VKG whale / Mga Alice / Serratus Chrome

Offline Sabertooth

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 05:27:33 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114609.0 you can make a better board for ~220 with pcb. cmon.
Yes I know its expensive. But theres no way I can bring the price down with the moq of 20. What the factory told me is that the price of the aluminum has gone up lately and by making only one it will be more than 800usd. Maybe I should look for local factories, but the ones I know are closed or just to busy like geon

Offline Sabertooth

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 05:29:35 »
look nice, have you order your prototype yet? can you show us the mounting? ne internal picture?
I will be ordering my prototype after the weekend ends. Its a same mount as whale.

Offline TheTriggeredPony

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 00:14:20 »
Have you even looked at what other tkls are selling for?

In less than a week the cloudline goes for sale at 585$. That board has a better design, uses better material, and costs less. Same goes for pretty much every other popular tkl thats been sold recently.

So tell me, why would I, or anyone else, buy this?

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Linktree
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 13:42:53 »

In less than a week the cloudline goes for sale at 585$. That board has a better design, uses better material, and costs less. Same goes for pretty much every other popular tkl thats been sold recently.

a lot of the price is contribute by the MOQ, Cloudline is running at a 600+ moq and this is a 20 moq, so this kinda explain the price similarity even if the material on Cloudline is better, the other reason for why someone would get this over cloudline is if they like whale mounting, and if you are trying to get popular board, its not always the case that you will actually be able to get one

not that I'm saying this board is not expensive tho, but I still feel like this is an understandable price if its coming from a good manufacturer

Offline TheTriggeredPony

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 16:43:29 »

a lot of the price is contribute by the MOQ, Cloudline is running at a 600+ moq and this is a 20 moq, so this kinda explain the price similarity even if the material on Cloudline is better, the other reason for why someone would get this over cloudline is if they like whale mounting, and if you are trying to get popular board, its not always the case that you will actually be able to get one

not that I'm saying this board is not expensive tho, but I still feel like this is an understandable price if its coming from a good manufacturer

Not to sound like a complete ****, but who cares? that is entirely OP's problem.

i don't see why anyone would overpay that much for a subpar design when there are so many better options. I mean even if you don't get the Cloudline, there's the angle by vertex which is even cheaper and also nice af. If you dont get the angle theres the frog tkl, which is still way nicer than this design and comes in at around 400!

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 17:15:35 »
You are aware that you sound like a complete a**hole tho right?
You have to factor in everything that may contribute to the high price. Even though 750 for this board is very hard to swallow it is logical.

Offline TheTriggeredPony

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 18:28:57 »
You have to factor in everything that may contribute to the high price. Even though 750 for this board is very hard to swallow it is logical.

Why would I, as a consumer, consider any of that? Because I feel bad for the designer?

It doesn't matter what the reasons are for the price, the only thing that matters to me (or anyone else) is the quality of the board and whether the price is right.

and yeah i might, but maybe OP needs to hear this because idk what he's thinking.

Offline TheTriggeredPony

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 18:31:12 »

Why would I, as a consumer, consider any of that? Because I feel bad for the designer?

It doesn't matter what the reasons are for the price, the only thing that matters to me (or anyone else) is the quality of the board and whether the price is right.

and yeah i might, but maybe OP needs to hear this because idk what he's thinking.

oh, not to mention the fact that this guy is completely unkown with this being his first ever post to gh. Like cmon bro.

Offline Altain

• Formerly zungzangbi
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 18:55:55 »

oh, not to mention the fact that this guy is completely unkown with this being his first ever post to gh. Like cmon bro.

Honestly I can't get why you are so upset and put this much effort trying to persuade anyone that this is not a proper item.
Now don't get me wrong, I would not pay 750 bucks for this either. And You, sir, have all the rights not to buy this one, no one is forcing you to.

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 18:57:28 »
Im a big fan of TKLs and is quite fond of the classic "corsa-esque" design.
Is it possible to explore other cheaper manu options and increase the overall quantity of units?

Offline TheTriggeredPony

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 20:52:17 »

Honestly I can't get why you are so upset and put this much effort trying to persuade anyone that this is not a proper item.
Now don't get me wrong, I would not pay 750 bucks for this either. And You, sir, have all the rights not to buy this one, no one is forcing you to.

im not upset at all. I dont understand why youre upset with me calling out all the obvious mistakes in this IC. This is the free market bro, u put something half assed out here and u get flamed. As you should.

and im not trying to persuade anybody not to buy this, I dont think ill have to unless he makes huge changes to the board or price.

Offline TheTriggeredPony

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 20:54:35 »
Im a big fan of TKLs and is quite fond of the classic "corsa-esque" design.
Is it possible to explore other cheaper manu options and increase the overall quantity of units?

also idk why you're so upset when there are others calling OP a literal moron in this thread lol. Now thats what id call upset.

Offline Altain

• Formerly zungzangbi
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 21:27:59 »

im not upset at all. I dont understand why youre upset with me calling out all the obvious mistakes in this IC. This is the free market bro, u put something half assed out here and u get flamed. As you should.

and im not trying to persuade anybody not to buy this, I dont think ill have to unless he makes huge changes to the board or price.

I see several criticisms that suggest changing MOQ, searching for different manufacturer, etc. Then I see 2 comments who calls out on OP rather than not making any comments or show interest so
this thread either die silently or make better changes.
But I guess since making comments on you it makes me the same. Since I'm not interested at this project as is, I'll keep my word true to myself and just move on.
I highly suggest you to do the same, it's better for your time and effort.

Offline TheTriggeredPony

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 21:37:59 »

thanks for the suggestion boss, make sure u say hi to op for me when ur done blowing him ok?

I see several criticisms that suggest changing MOQ, searching for different manufacturer, etc. Then I see 2 comments who calls out on OP rather than not making any comments or show interest so
this thread either die silently or make better changes.
But I guess since making comments on you it makes me the same. Since I'm not interested at this project as is, I'll keep my word true to myself and just move on.
I highly suggest you to do the same, it's better for your time and effort.

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 03:34:01 »

Your mindset may be right in a bigger group buy, however, IMO it's unrealistic to consider yourself as a customer in a very small GB like this.
You're essentially pooling money so you can help this guy lower the production cost while getting a keyboard yourself .

Offline Sabertooth

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 04:16:18 »

For some funny reason everyone is talking about the price 750. And I clearly said in the text, the price has not been set. I am still contatcting multiple factories from multiple countries to make the price down. Cant understand why they are focusing on the price 750.

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 05:05:57 »

For some funny reason everyone is talking about the price 750. And I clearly said in the text, the price has not been set. I am still contatcting multiple factories from multiple countries to make the price down. Cant understand why they are focusing on the price 750.
Because you said the price estimate is 550-750? Is it wrong to believe information that you gave?

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 06:09:37 »
I like the generic Korean looking design but this is way to expensive for me

Offline Sabertooth

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 06:11:04 »
I like the generic Korean looking design but this is way to expensive for me
Price haven't been set yet but I am aiming for 550 maximum