Author Topic: RAMA WORKS U80-A  (Read 48592 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
RAMA WORKS U80-A
« on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 16:53:32 »
I'm very interested in coming RAMA WORKS U80-A.

What do you guys think about it?
Whos has already ordere it and who will order one?
What color do you prefer?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline lendflat

Re: RAMA WORKS U80-A
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 17:00:41 »
No silver. Cant customize weight... will wait for round 2 when he comes to his senses.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 04:29:27 »
No silver. Cant customize weight... will wait for round 2 when he comes to his senses.
So SEQ1 means this is round 1 and there will be more?
I didn't follow other Rama products - do you know or can you assume what kind of changes will come in second round?
Would there be possibility for ISO for example?

Also, where does this coming from? I wonder if EU will have to pay tax, customs etc
For some reason when i ordered some things from China, Japan etc - never paid taxes..
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 June 2019, 08:30:42 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline bUttery

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 20:18:57 »
I ordered a MOON (silver) and I had the same idea that it is kinda lame how you can not choose what color plate or weight. But it is my first build ever so i am excited no less.

I have been waiting awhile to find a TKL keyboard kit.
I play a lot of games and I use my tilde too much to commit to a 60% and I am just excited to have a nice chunky and heavy TKL.

I am a big fan of silenced tactile thocky sounding boards so the main selling point is that insulator under the plate. I plan to use MOD-M switches or Zilents. 

Since it is honestly my first GB (other than massdrop) I am curious how long of a wait it will be.

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 02:48:41 »
I ordered a MOON (silver) and I had the same idea that it is kinda lame how you can not choose what color plate or weight. But it is my first build ever so i am excited no less.

I have been waiting awhile to find a TKL keyboard kit.
I play a lot of games and I use my tilde too much to commit to a 60% and I am just excited to have a nice chunky and heavy TKL.

I am a big fan of silenced tactile thocky sounding boards so the main selling point is that insulator under the plate. I plan to use MOD-M switches or Zilents. 

Since it is honestly my first GB (other than massdrop) I am curious how long of a wait it will be.

Yep, I'm looking at Moon as well, looks like a safe choice to look good with all the caps sets I have.
I would prefer Moon and then rose gold or golden bar, but won't pay extra $80 for it. Unless I would find someone who would like to swap.
I would put Tealios on it, as I prefer linear, but would get hotswap, so could do any in the future.
I would miss ISO, as I'm in UK, but I guess I could get used to it.
Also, old school bottom row is a bit weird for me as well, 7u space bar and 1.5u mods may not be all available in my sets, so would have to fish for them second hand...

I hope it won't take long, people say about 2-3 months of manufacturing, so aiming for October max, I hope so...
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2019, 02:51:37 by phinix »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 10:33:15 »
I always think I'm done with keyboards, and then a new cool one pops up. I hadn't even heard of this one until this thread.

The U80-A doesn't look super appealing to me aesthetically, but it looks extremely high quality. I'm seriously thinking about getting this now; although none of the colors particularly appeal to me (or perhaps, I should say none of the color combinations. I think black with gold weight would look nice). I know I do not want the moon color since that's very similar to my M65-A, whose color I've never been satisfied with.

Maybe I should think about it in terms of keysets I have. White is boring, but it would go with GMK DMG or MT3 Dev/tty if I decide to keep it. Lake blue looks nice, but the closest thing I have to a set for it is SA Cyan on Dolch. Moon gray and Kuro black would go with ePBT slate. I have nothing that would go with the Port burgundy color.

Have you decide which one you like?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Kelseer

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 11:57:39 »
I'm thinking of picking up the Milk or Port, because I think the other colours aren't anything we haven't seen before. Hotswap, because of the flexibility down the road on switches.

Where did people say the lead time for this will be 2-3 months?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:16:07 »
Wow, milk + heavy industry SEQ2 :drools:

I'mma scour youtube for typing demo videos after round 1.  The dampening method looks intriguing.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:21:11 »
I'm very interested in coming RAMA WORKS U80-A.

What do you guys think about it?
Whos has already ordere it and who will order one?
What color do you prefer?

im personally not a fan of the mirror finished metal is on some elements of the board, which seems to be a trend by rama.

the internal dampeners are cool
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:22:16 »
I'm really interested in the internals of this. But I can't say I like the looks very much. I'll have to see how rich I'm feeling next month.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline ninjinphu

• Music to Clack to
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:28:36 »
I ordered a Lake since I already have the Nautilus caps and Linjars. Pretty excited to see how it sounds.

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 13:54:20 »
No ISO no buy sadly! Shame as the muted system seems really interesting.

Offline siijunn

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 15:15:36 »
These days seem to all be about the TKL. Haven't been into TKL for a while now, but if I ever come around or feel like putting one together I may pick one up.

Personally, a bigger fan of the M60-A but even that is a little too shiny for my tastes.

Heavy Industry on the other hand? wooooo boy.

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 23:21:34 »
I think many are still waiting to know how effective the mute pad is, especially with non-silent switches.

Colour wise, all of them look stunning but knowing that they are just really super nice renders, I won't commit until seeing live pictures.

I have ordered the Heavy Industry set though!

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 03:20:25 »
I think many are still waiting to know how effective the mute pad is, especially with non-silent switches.

Colour wise, all of them look stunning but knowing that they are just really super nice renders, I won't commit until seeing live pictures.

Do you think they will show real pictures or typing test before ordering ends?
We still have 2 weeks, I would like to see that first before I press Buy button...

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 04:48:02 »

Do you think they will show real pictures or typing test before ordering ends?
We still have 2 weeks, I would like to see that first before I press Buy button...

You an I both are on the same boat.
Ideally they would post photos and tests as it has been over three weeks since orders opened and they have promised to put out more information.
But seeing as how busy they are especially with the Koyu shipping very soon (sometime in July), we can only hope it comes before they get swamped.

Offline phinix

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 05:31:18 »
No ISO no buy sadly! Shame as the muted system seems really interesting.

You see, I also use ISO as I live in UK.
But I thought I could get that ANSI anyway and try to get used it it.
Looking at a build of U80-A, looks like they could introduce ISO later on - they would need to produce ISO pcb and plate.
That MUTE gasket looks like could take ISO already.

I hope they will do it in the future...

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 09:53:53 »

Offline bwighthunter

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 12:39:38 »

has the u80 being built with gat inks and even has a typing test.

Offline phinix

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 16:52:15 »
Daim!!!!!!
I saw that on reddit 15 minutes ago...

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 16:55:54 »
Man that sounds super good.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline phinix

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 07:40:57 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.
Including postage to UK, £386.
Now, in next 3 months, Customs gonna slap me in a face...

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 08:16:44 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.

I'm on the edge of getting one! How hopeful are you for ISO?

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 08:33:15 »

Do not hold your breath on that — there will be no ISO during this GB.

Offline phinix

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 08:56:22 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.

Well, hard to say. Ideally I wanted an ISO, but went for it anyway.

From the product point of view, it is possible just to produce ISO plate and pcb. If they gonna do it? Don't know. Maybe if they had more requests.
That mute gasket has big hole under enter area and on left for Shift, so looks like its all matter of having ISO pcb and plate.
Maybe that was the reason for keeping those holes there...

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2019, 08:58:07 by phinix »

Offline SuperUltra

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 16:49:04 »
TKL is my favorite layout and I love the RAMA aesthetic so I had to get one of these. I ordered the Milk (white) keyboard and a set of Heavy Industry Seq 2 keycaps. Don't forget to order the internal dampener or weight if you want one. I thought at least the dampener would be included but it's not.

Offline iwishiwasapriate

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 22:30:34 »
I'm in love with the U80-A though right now, it's a bit beyond my budget.

If I were in the market, I think I'd go for either Port or Lake. I think a version in a forest green with a gold weight, would have looked awesome too.

I'll have to settle for my more budget-friendly Alu body TKL for now   :(
0118999881999119725    3

Offline jmg123

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 03:49:41 »

From the product point of view, it is possible just to produce ISO plate and pcb. If they gonna do it? Don't know. Maybe if they had more requests.
That mute gasket has big hole under enter area and on left for Shift, so looks like its all matter of having ISO pcb and plate.

Show Image

I ordered a milk one, and an extra gasket , as I think it will require a little modification around the left shift and |\ key.  Once it arrives i plan on getting an iso plate cut at laser boost and either handwiring or designing a pcb (depending on how much space there is)

Offline phinix

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 08:59:05 »

Show Image

I ordered a milk one, and an extra gasket , as I think it will require a little modification around the left shift and |\ key.  Once it arrives i plan on getting an iso plate cut at laser boost and either handwiring or designing a pcb (depending on how much space there is)

Well, if you gonna do that, you may get iso buyers for it.

Offline jmg123

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 14:36:53 »
If It works out ok then i’ll add the files to github for any other iso lovers. That said if there are enough of us maybe rama would do an ISO plate? Who knows.

Offline phinix

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 18:17:24 »
If It works out ok then i’ll add the files to github for any other iso lovers. That said if there are enough of us maybe rama would do an ISO plate? Who knows.

I hope they will...

Offline phinix

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 18:17:45 »
I think this video shows good colors Rama is using, go to 10:25.

Offline poodude

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 22:21:33 »
I went with a moon and internal dampener. I love the thick substantial bezel, and appreciate the restrained industrial look. I think more clean looking monochromatic key sets will look great with this. I ordered an Oblivion base set that I hope will look good with it.

mspaint mockup:

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2019, 22:23:13 by poodude »

Offline Kelseer

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 23:06:38 »
Just remember that the bottom row is different, its got a 7u spacebar, with the Windows keys at 1u each.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 09:40:05 »
If this mounting style works well and feels good, presumably there will be future Rama boards with it. As much as I'm curious about it (and as good a deal as the GB price is), I'll have to pass for now. I just don't like how it looks and I don't like the 0.5u spacing around the alphas.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline phinix

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 11:09:40 »
I went with a moon and internal dampener. I love the thick substantial bezel, and appreciate the restrained industrial look. I think more clean looking monochromatic key sets will look great with this. I ordered an Oblivion base set that I hope will look good with it.

mspaint mockup:

Show Image

Yep, Oblivion will look perfect with Moon.
I love the bezel too, like old school Realforce:)
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2019, 06:41:22 by phinix »

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 20:29:04 »
There is another video with Healios + Hako Royal True typing sounds and showing the LED modes.

Offline phinix

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 02:49:47 »
Yep, I saw that yesterday. Looking good.
From those videos it sounds like silenced Topre for me.
I have 55g silenced topre board and it sounds very similar.

So I understand the reason for this gasket - I understand that people didn't like so afar the sound of typing on aluminium cases, like Rama M60 for example, where you could here loud tock when bottoming out? Solid aluminium case with plate screwed to it was making hollow noises etc?
Is this the reason they designed this gasket?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 11:55:36 »
I still can't decide on color, dang it. I'm leaning towards Port but it's hard to tell how purple vs red this hue of maroon is. Lake looks good too. Black would be nice if I could get it with a gold weight, but black on black just looks too boring.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 09:04:27 »
Well, I went with Port since it was my initial interest. I hope it matches well with GMK DMG. If not, I'll throw some dark gray keycaps on it maybe.

Offline awetblanketnamedpam

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 09:24:50 »
7/11 and pre-orders are still open.. hoping they're not gonna have production delays.

Offline phinix

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 10:26:26 »
I hope not, I'm keeping special place under this year's Christmas tree for it...

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 10:35:09 »
7/11 and pre-orders are still open.. hoping they're not gonna have production delays.

So far all of RAMA's group buys have briefly remained open after the official deadline. Don't read too much into it.

Offline ninjinphu

• Music to Clack to
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 10:38:24 »

So far all of RAMA's group buys have briefly remained open after the official deadline. Don't read too much into it.

I think they're in Australia, makes sense when you want to make sure global deadline doesn't cause someone to miss the order overnight.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 11:54:45 »
I think they're in Australia [...]

RAMA, Kate and Wilba operate out of Melbourne. The rest of the team are scattered over the globe.

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 02:00:42 »
I haven't seen any discussion on this, but can the U80-A technically be considered a sandwich mount with no screws securing the plate?
There are no screws securing the plate+mute+PCB assembly to either the top or the bottom case and seems to only be mated to the top case by friction with the corresponding indents along the plate.
Any thoughts?

3:20
5:13 - Watch in slow motion!  :))

Offline SlipperyPeteED

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 01:08:42 »
I should of grabbed one of these. I wonder what the aftermarket is going to be like for it.

Offline gbgwang

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 01:51:09 »
Do you have any plans to update the current production?

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 13:55:29 »
Looks amazing the keyboard I was trying to get it but was late by some weeks haha. I do hope they make a Second run version of this would be awesome

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 14:41:31 »
The U80-A is my dream, I was late few weeks as well  :confused:
There will be future runs (probably next year) ;)