Author Topic: [IC] grid 650, GB is live, update with typing sound tests 3  (Read 119701 times)

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

Re: [IC] grid 650, updated with new module info
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 18:51:47 »

Nixie tube made me think of vacuum tubes.... vacuum tubes made me think of amps.... MAKE A VACUUM TUBE HEADPHONE AMP MODULE!!!! Vacuum tubes sticking out of keyboard would look dope.

It is kind of crazy, given that the mech and audio communities seem to share many of the same constituents that no one has yet come up with a keyboard with an amp/DAC in it.... (if only i had the motivation..)

now that you mention it, i'm surprised this crossover hasn't happened yet! not a bad idea imo

Offline BrainBunker

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:04:05 »

Nixie tube made me think of vacuum tubes.... vacuum tubes made me think of amps.... MAKE A VACUUM TUBE HEADPHONE AMP MODULE!!!! Vacuum tubes sticking out of keyboard would look dope.

It is kind of crazy, given that the mech and audio communities seem to share many of the same constituents that no one has yet come up with a keyboard with an amp/DAC in it.... (if only i had the motivation..)

now that you mention it, i'm surprised this crossover hasn't happened yet! not a bad idea imo

Oh man, that sounds like a great idea and would look incredible. it would keep your desk clean too since your keyboard now doubles as an amp/dac if you were going to have those anyway.

Offline gridishere

Re: [IC] grid 650, a QMK BLE keyboard with interchangeable modules
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:28:55 »
Can you post a typing test?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I remember I have replied you answer but it is gone or something werid happen.
Well, the video we sent on instagram has its typing sound in the background.
I reckon it is not enough. We will set up soon.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:32:30 »
any rough timeline? this year had alot of stuff to buy near end of the year

The plan is the GB will be held this December on zFrontier most likely and we will finish all manufacturing and shipping 2021 May.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:33:43 »
Approximately how much time before the gb start date would we be informed about the gb?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

We plan to do the gb in two weeks. Working on color sets.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:38:34 »
Any possibility of some of the older modules returning for the Grid600? I missed out on the Neon module the first time around, and they aren't exactly common, so buying it on /r/mechmarket isn't really an option.

Also, which of the new modules will be made for the 600?

Thanks for supporting us! Actually we do have a set of black NEON for grid 600 available. E-mail me and we will send you an invoice if you are still interested. It is gridsihere@gmail.com

For the new modules, apart from the CIRCLE, the knob one, everything else will be available in the 600 form.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:39:51 »
I wish i could have FLASH and Circle on the same mod..

I think it would be cool to divide the mod section into 2 mod sections.
1 smaller, taking up a 1/3 to the left, where you could have smaller versions of the Circle, Stand, Array, Press, and Neon.
And the 2nd, taking up the rest of the original mod section 2/3, where the options could be the Classic, Classic S, Peaks, Flash, Waves, and Linear.

Maybe you could take that idea and run with it on a TKL version next time, I guess.

Like this idea, will see if it can come in the future. Appreciated!

Offline gridishere

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:41:03 »
Any word on how many will be made?

It will be an unlimited GB. We will also make some extra modules.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:41:43 »
Will there be build guide for this board? Looks kinda complicated...

Of course.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:44:12 »
Will winkey blockers be available for the Grid600?

We made a few of them before. WKL blockers and HHKB blockers.
It is a little difficult for us to make just one set. Sorry.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:45:29 »
Gorgeous. Would also like to know price and quantity of the sale. Very keen and amazing work!

Will there be other colors beside white and black for base?

We are considering grey as an option. Any suggestions?

Offline gridishere

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:48:58 »
Thank you Thank you !!

I’m most interested for the Array. I’ll also be getting neon for my grid600.
And likely the linear. The grid design is very retro and the dolch like Linear -V is very appealing.

Can the array be programmed ? If so how ?
More than time or texts, I’m more interested in hacking together notifications or some kind.

Thanks! That is the style we pursue.
The current prototype of ARRAY is running on Atmel 32U4 using Caterlina as bootloader ( Arduino) and technically it can run QMK as well.
Would love to see your work.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:54:08 »
From the new modules, I would have to say I like Type-07 ARRAY the most. Do you have any prototypes of the display itself? It looks like a 16-segment display design with a retro nixie tube feel in the renders and just wondering how you were planning on achieving that effect. Great work!

Please search HPDL1414. I believe that will be more helpful.

Offline gridishere

Re: major updates on Module designs for grid 65
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 06:56:48 »

So the layout now is a little different. See here.
Show Image

hello there, would it be possible to provide the dimensions for the options in the bottom row?

in particular, i am not sure what the cap dimensions are for the 1st alternative bottom row (the top most green option)

Hi there, the first space bar is 6.25U, the second is 6U, and the rest are 7U. We should have put that info in the image, will do next time. Thanks for pointing that out!

Offline gridishere

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 07:05:45 »

Oh man, that sounds like a great idea and would look incredible. it would keep your desk clean too since your keyboard now doubles as an amp/dac if you were going to have those anyway.

We've seriously thought about that! Will be great if we can work with people with experience with DAC. Maybe one day we can let some good looking Nixie tube sing a harmony for us.

Offline neutralstate

Re: major updates on Module designs for grid 65
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 08:48:08 »

So the layout now is a little different. See here.
Show Image

hello there, would it be possible to provide the dimensions for the options in the bottom row?

in particular, i am not sure what the cap dimensions are for the 1st alternative bottom row (the top most green option)

Hi there, the first space bar is 6.25U, the second is 6U, and the rest are 7U. We should have put that info in the image, will do next time. Thanks for pointing that out!

gotcha, thanks!

Offline careless_esper

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 09:36:18 »
Any possibility of some of the older modules returning for the Grid600? I missed out on the Neon module the first time around, and they aren't exactly common, so buying it on /r/mechmarket isn't really an option.

Also, which of the new modules will be made for the 600?

Thanks for supporting us! Actually we do have a set of black NEON for grid 600 available. E-mail me and we will send you an invoice if you are still interested. It is gridsihere@gmail.com

For the new modules, apart from the CIRCLE, the knob one, everything else will be available in the 600 form.

Awesome, just sent you an email!

Offline wongie

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 09:39:51 »
Thank you for keeping to the standard 65% layout with no blocker! This board has brought me out of mech hibernation, will 110% be committing to the GB once live.

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 12:10:56 »
Same, I will be 110% committing to the GB once it is live. Any IC form that we need to fill in? :)

Thank you for keeping to the standard 65% layout with no blocker! This board has brought me out of mech hibernation, will 110% be committing to the GB once live.

Offline Gepriester

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 13:10:05 »
Gorgeous. Would also like to know price and quantity of the sale. Very keen and amazing work!

I'd love to see silver or a light grey as a colorway. Something that would fit with classic sets <3

Offline Wolframme

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:36:02 »

I'm super excited for this now and so happy it'll be an unlimited GB again. I don't have my Grid600 anymore because of the lack of dedicated arrow keys but this will be perfect.

Offline Dazon

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 19:39:57 »
a nice deep maroon or navy would be AMAZING with this. super hyped for gb!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline woyaodapian

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 19:58:31 »
Super excited! Can't wait for the color render/sample and sound test!

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 21:12:07 »
Seconding the deep maroon color!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline richard912

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 22:46:00 »
Any word on how many will be made?

Hooray for unlimited GB ! !

Offline drone_cold

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 22:57:47 »

Way more than a bit niche to ask for, but perhaps purple? Purple, like, 'Dark Purple', RAL 300 20 25 Purple. Not sure I can recall another board in the 40%+ class in any shade since the CA66, so I have to ask. But of course grey (like, graphite?) is lovely too!
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2020, 23:01:32 by drone_cold »

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 01:59:20 »
Grey would be a nice color addition! 
Just to confirm, only new module designs will be available for 600? I won't be able to get a Classic top in the new colors for 600?

Offline prognostics

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 05:09:44 »
Just to confirm, only new module designs will be available for 600? I won't be able to get a Classic top in the new colors for 600?

No, you will not be able to. The 650 module would be too long for the 600 grid.
Source: their insta

Offline Havattack

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 11:57:19 »

We've seriously thought about that! Will be great if we can work with people with experience with DAC. Maybe one day we can let some good looking Nixie tube sing a harmony for us.
I rather have a vac tube amp then a DAC. (I rather have both, but if i had to pick one..) I would try to do a "collab" with a small/moderately sized audio company. I would try contacting "Schiit.com" 1st. Great products, GREAT prices. They're an awesome company. Do collabs with other small companies all the time. All ready have fairly small sized DACs and amps, and have several products that are "modular' and sell pcb upgrades for their products. And i just like the company.
You could also just do a simple "equalizer" module.
That, or maybe contacting Drop's audio community, and seeing if they know or can recommend any companies/people

Offline gridishere

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 12:05:47 »

We are really hesitating on that color! We will make most modules available for 600 in the GB.

Offline tawood79

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 12:18:09 »
I would be interested in a darker blue. Something that would go with GMK Laser that should be shipping from Drop early next year.

Offline BrainBunker

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 16:59:15 »

I rather have a vac tube amp then a DAC. (I rather have both, but if i had to pick one..) I would try to do a "collab" with a small/moderately sized audio company. I would try contacting "Schiit.com" 1st. Great products, GREAT prices. They're an awesome company. Do collabs with other small companies all the time. All ready have fairly small sized DACs and amps, and have several products that are "modular' and sell pcb upgrades for their products. And i just like the company.
You could also just do a simple "equalizer" module.
That, or maybe contacting Drop's audio community, and seeing if they know or can recommend any companies/people

I can second that Schiit makes very good audio products, and I would be ecstatic to own a keyboard with a Schiit DAC+AMP built in :)

Offline KevinSanToast

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 17:00:50 »
Since you plan on making more modules for the 600; do you plan on making more 600 cases?

Offline gridishere

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 08:33:54 »
Since you plan on making more modules for the 600; do you plan on making more 600 cases?

Very likely, we are working on that!

Offline donny_pete

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 10:26:22 »
This is freaking beautiful

Offline orpheo

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 12:59:19 »
Here are my favorite module. I especially love ARRAY

Module Type-10 CIRCLE : top class, I would love that really.

Module Type-08V LINEAR-V : subdued, if it's cheap I'll buy a spare just for the change

Module Type-07 ARRAY : my top buy, please make it stand alone, and not software slaved

Module Type-02 NEON : I love the look, if it's cheap I will buy as spare

The color is great, but may I suggest a mutted and matte white color instead of the plain white? Almost like a light grey.

For the module, I love your renders already!

Open an IC so I can't miss that!

Offline esosu0

• Die sublimation.
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 23:11:27 »
Any ideas on GB length? I'd hope for a longer period like a month to have time to get all the modules.

Silver would be nice, and I like the almost black navy shown so far in renders.

Offline RogueArchitect

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 18:06:29 »
As long as there is still the classic white, I am happy!

Offline mechs

• www.mechs.io
    • The Mechanical Keyboard Directory
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 04:48:06 »
Pretty keen on the following modules:
  • Type-01S CLASSIC-S
  • Type-04 FLASH
  • Type-08H LINEAR-H (in a deep maroon would be awesome)

Cannot wait!!!  :D

Offline darko

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 14:04:04 »
Is color like this possible? https://i.redd.it/dk2ohwx6jl261.png

there is two sets which would be perfect, GMK Navy and the one I linked PoN...

Offline RogueArchitect

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 19:00:01 »
If it would be possible to add leaf springs to the plate that would really help with the consistency and soft typing feel that the gasket mount can bring.

I would also like to see a blocker that separates the arrow keys.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 12:58:48 »
More updates on the plate are here.

The structural design of the plate.

1.5mm universal plate shown here.
The gap between the plate to the PCB is filled by 3mm felt.
The purple gaskets in the image are the hard ones. 
This plate is compatible with WKL layout.

4mm stiff plate shown here.
This plate is designed for hotswap PCB.
The translucent gaskets in the image are the soft ones.
This plate is not compatible with WKL layout.

About colorway

Many thanks to people and friends for giving us feedback and suggestions on colors.

Chassis will be available in Black, E-white, and Navy.

Modules will be available in Black, Navy, Purple, Teal, Maroon, Rose, and Silver.

We've done some renderings with different keycaps. Enjoy. ;D

Please let me know your thoughts.

Offline SirKhamenman

Re: [IC] grid 650, updated with GB info, plate options, and colorway.
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 13:41:45 »
Wow wow wow, so pretty!!! So many variations that I like! 😍😍

Offline wongie

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 13:44:50 »
My wallet is ready.

Offline watchsasquatch

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 15:33:16 »
@grid team, can you speak to the reliability of Zfrontier? I've seen some mixed reviews about their fulfillment, even with grid600. Given that Zfrontier is the only option, I just want to make sure there's some reliability here.

Offline yomamatoofat

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 18:21:51 »
I have a few questions:
1. The BLE version supports Wired and Wireless correct?
2. I have read your previous messages that the GB is unlimited, but I’ve also read you’re making the WKL limited, is this correct?
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 December 2020, 22:30:13 by yomamatoofat »

Offline kawhi

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 18:40:46 »
why does the hotswap pcb require such a thick plate?

Offline Tatcursio

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 19:48:27 »
Does the Flash module only comes in black color?

Offline cmanon

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 20:06:54 »
Is the Module 10 CIRCLE, happening in the future?

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 20:14:32 »
@grid team, can you speak to the reliability of Zfrontier? I've seen some mixed reviews about their fulfillment, even with grid600. Given that Zfrontier is the only option, I just want to make sure there's some reliability here.

purchased multiple items from Zfrontier before, and haven't had any issues with them. shipping is fast and their packaging is good. I'm in NA, and they seem to be the first to ship among GBs that span multiple vendors. that said, i haven't had to deal with their CS before, so i can't speak on that end.
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.