Author Topic: uControllers not so bountiful? [IC] Teensy, or MC-HCK, or ...  (Read 1971 times)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
uControllers not so bountiful? [IC] Teensy, or MC-HCK, or ...
« on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 18:28:35 »
So, I'm piecing together my Enabler PCBs, and just got my phantom board from MK, and I have to find a way to revive my 'dox because I don't know why it died but ...

I feel there's likely interest in another GB for Teensies -- for myself I actually have adequate wire so would be happy with the 'no header pins' ($14.40USD @25 plus double shipping -- from PJRC to the GB organizer, then to the final buyer) but if four other people go in for five copies, that only saves $8 each before shipping. But the savings double if we quadruple the number of units.

Now, not by any stretch do I need to be the organizer -- in fact I'd kinda like to take the majority of the rest of '14 off from this sort of thing. But I'd like to start a discussion, and if January rolls around and no one else has offered, I'll look into that aspect more heavily.

The last GB for Teensies JDcarpe ran it, and we all got the 'with header pins' for $16/ea plus something for shipping, and as I recall we had to struggle to get the #hypetrain up the hill to the 100-unit mark -- but we did make it.

But there are other uControllers out there, such as the MC-HCK that the Infinity uses ... Nobody 'makes' that so it would have to come as a kit, and again have to be ordered at around the 100-unit mark for the GB but I'd get more than one, for sure. Of course, using a freescale processor buyers would need a different toolchain although fair-to-middlin' chances you could just compile TMK using a freescale GCC cross-compiler. I recognize that there are strengths in having 'centralized' on a single controller -- the Atmega32u4, and PJRC's breakout board, but I also know there would be benefits for diversification too.

What do the rest of you think?

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline geniekid

Re: uControllers not so bountiful? [IC] Teensy, or MC-HCK, or ...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 07:56:02 »
I would be in for 4 or 5 Teensies or another MC that has open firmware available.

Offline epicepee

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 10:57:45 »
I'd be in for a MC HCK or two, or some other low-price uC. 

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 11:07:04 »
Looking to start doing some board prototyping so I'd definitely be in for 5 as well.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 20:22:12 »
Totally down on this one...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!