geekhack Marketplace > Group Buys and Preorders

[GB] HSA White on Black - Beige on Brown

<< < (38/39) > >>

nickthaskater:
Any word on when the missing BoB keycaps will be making their way to Omnitype? They said extras won't be released until the missing caps are received.

rockydbull:
Looks like ZF has sent updated kits with the extra keys. Just saw one on mechmarket for BOW and WOB

Damage:

--- Quote from: nickthaskater on Fri, 24 March 2023, 18:00:11 ---Any word on when the missing BoB keycaps will be making their way to Omnitype? They said extras won't be released until the missing caps are received.

--- End quote ---

I still haven’t received my extra keys from Omnitype. Has anyone else? Got my extra keys from NovelKeys for WoB/BoW weeks ago.

rockydbull:

--- Quote from: Damage on Sat, 24 June 2023, 23:21:38 ---
--- Quote from: nickthaskater on Fri, 24 March 2023, 18:00:11 ---Any word on when the missing BoB keycaps will be making their way to Omnitype? They said extras won't be released until the missing caps are received.

--- End quote ---

I still haven’t received my extra keys from Omnitype. Has anyone else? Got my extra keys from NovelKeys for WoB/BoW weeks ago.

--- End quote ---

I was told by Omnitype at the beginning of the month that we would hear about extras at the end of this month. Getting pretty close to the end without word...

Damage:
Just got an email from Omnitype about the extra caps, so it looks like they're finally about to go out.

Now that I've had these caps for a while, as a participant in the group buy for both of the initial colorways and a veteran of The Longest Wait, I have a few thoughts on the caps themselves.

First, the profile is great overall, and I love the glossy finish of the caps. The sound is good, as is the typing feel, in my view. JTK really did deliver on the original vision there, so I have to give them credit.

However, there are a few gripes I think are worthy of note.

First, several of the caps are not formed well on the stems, particularly the +/= key, on multiple of the four sets I wound up getting. (The deep-dish F key is bad, as well, at least on my WoB set.) These caps just kind of fall off of some switches when I try to use those keys. This problem is worse with JTK switches with P3 stems like Durock POMs and Epsilons, where all HSA caps are just generally loose. I can't really use them on some boards, as a result.

If you have some HSA caps, check the fit on the +/= key in particular. Would be curious to hear everyone's impressions. Seems to me like this might be a straight-up defect across most HSA sets.

Second, I've noticed that some of the alpha key legends are composed of much thicker lines than others, to the point where it really looks jarring. This effect is most noticeable with dark legends on brighter backdrops like BoW and brown on beige. It's harder to see on WoB and BoB, for whatever reason. BoW looks super janky to me now that I've seen it.

Examples here:

The lettering on E is thick, while the lines are way thinner on R. Same for B (thin) and N/M (thick).

I assume others of you have seen this issue? It's not great with the inverted sets, and it seems like JTK needs to address this issue before running more sets.

Finally, I'm super happy to have the bonus inverted key sets and the extra keys they've sent out later, including especially the extra "B" for Alice-style layouts, but I'm bummed that convex short space bars aren't part of the mix. In the years since we first ordered HSA, split keyboards have become much more popular, and I'm sad these sets don't have short bars for use with my favorite layout. Would be great if we got a chance to buy some short bars in a future HSA run as a separate kit or something!

Anyhow, would love to hear the thoughts of other HSA keycap owners who have been living with them for a while now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version