Author Topic: Mac mini CPU upgrade  (Read 4151 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Mac mini CPU upgrade
« on: Sun, 16 September 2007, 01:50:40 »
A couple years ago when the Apple Intel transition was taking place, I sold my kids' two G4 Mac mini's and replaced it with a Intel Core Solo-based mini.  The performance has been disappointing from the get go...especially with video (ala PhotoBooth, iChat, etc).  I promised the kids I'd upgrade it once CPU prices went down.  

For a couple of months, I've been trying to score a T7200 (2.0Ghz Core2Duo, 4MB) for under $250 on Ebay.  Nothing doing.  So, I just pulled the trigger on a new one from an Amazon partner.  So, it will be at home waiting for me when I'm done here in Iraq...and I can finally upgrade the mini for them.

It is amazing how timeless that mini has been.  If I were to upgrade the CPU today with the T7200, it would be NO DIFFERENT than the currently-shipping mini's that were refreshed this fall.  With the core2duo's being a drop-in replacement for the core solo and core duo's, that has really extended the life of, not only the mini's, but any socketed core duo-based laptop.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Mac mini CPU upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 September 2007, 03:58:04 »
The Mini is nice, my girlfriend has a Core Duo, and I have Core Duo MacBook, which really is the same thing. Mine is fully upgraded and hers is stock, and holy crap can I tell the difference (plus I have a slightly faster processor). I plan to keep this 'Book for at least another year because it is still comparable to the current models.

Apple's computers are just kind of that way. I still know a couple cats that rock clamshell G3 iBooks and swear by them.

Mac mini CPU upgrade
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 September 2007, 04:54:54 »
I've got a stock G4 Mini. What I like best about it is how whisper-quiet it is. Getting the monitor to work with it was a total *****, though. Could not get it to recognize my Northgate's touchpad. Ditto for the extra keys on the Cherry Cymotion. But the industrial design is super. I wonder why nobody can match Apple's aesthetics. Sony just released an all-in-one analogue of the iMac and it looks rather lame, IMO. Asus has some cool stuff (they do a lot of work for Apple after all), but it's not quite so refined.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Mac mini CPU upgrade
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 September 2007, 13:23:10 »
I actually really like the iMac's...I wasn't particularly thrilled with the new models when I first saw them, I think they are growing on me.  And I'm pretty sure that when I get a chance to see one in person, I'll fall in love.  :)

I have a first-gen Macbook (1.83GHz CD) that I recently passed on to my wife the last time I was on vacation (and picked up this thinkpad X60s).  VERY nice laptop.  But, as I've mentioned before...I hate touchpads.  So since I am using my laptop in Iraq primarily without a desk (mostly while sitting in bed with my knees propped up), it is not feasible to use an external mouse.  So, for me, the trackpoint is essential.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Mac mini CPU upgrade
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 September 2007, 14:14:21 »
It's funny, I bought a laptop so I could be mobile, but I have it at home most of the time, where it's connected to a 19" wide screen monitor and the book stays closed all the time. I only use the laptop aspect of my laptop at school.

I was disappointed at the new iMacs at first, but they have grown on me. They can be made pretty powerful, so that makes them easier to take.

Mac mini CPU upgrade
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 September 2007, 22:59:09 »
Quote from: xsphat
It's funny, I bought a laptop so I could be mobile, but I have it at home most of the time, where it's connected to a 19" wide screen monitor and the book stays closed all the time. I only use the laptop aspect of my laptop at school.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to keep it closed. I think the keyboard area dumps a fair amount of heat.
I was disappointed at the new iMacs at first, but they have grown on me. They can be made pretty powerful, so that makes them easier to take.

I like the glossy screen. If you have the right lighting in your room (no windows or strong points of light behind you), then everything looks extra sharp.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Mac mini CPU upgrade
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 September 2007, 00:16:58 »
Thanks for the tip, I'll leave it open from now on. I used to have it like this:

Maybe I'll do that again.