Author Topic: Hello from VA  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
Hello from VA
« on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 17:28:51 »
I see I'm not the only new person (or older member, for that matter) from Virginia! 

I'm relatively new to keyboard mania, until recently I've been whacking away on a collection of miscellaneous cheap input devices, but after getting frustrated with the freebie floppy board at work, I recently bought a Noppoo Choc Mini.  As they say, the light it has dawned. This is what typing is supposed to be, accurate, fast, and with a board that doesn't flex in the middle or walk around the desk when I'm typing.

I've been doing a lot of comparison research for my next keyboard, because of course now I have to have a mechanical keyboard for home.  At least one...   :)

The one that looks like the best combination for my mix of typing and PC gaming is the Ducky Shine 2, with green LEDs and Cherry MX Brown switches.  Full-size (?), not the 84-key TKL version.  One other person in my office uses a Das Keyboard, and although it's nice and shiny, I do like a lighted keyboard for gaming.  I have a Saitek Eclipse II at home, pretty ancient and lots of quirks, so a Ducky keyboard should be a nice upgrade.  I had looked at the Filco Ninja Majestouch-2, because I like the look of the no-top-label key caps, but the lack of lighting was the deciding factor.

So...  anyone have a Shine 2 for sale?  My ideal color combination seems to be out of stock everywhere.  That's what wishlists are for, I guess.  :-)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello from VA
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 00:28:46 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

"... or walk around the desk when I'm typing" - LOL that's what happens, doesn't it :))

I went the other way - got a mechanical at home first, then had to get one for work.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113_1361&products_id=21039
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113_1361&products_id=22005

But PCCG does not ship overseas :(

Sorry, just had to do that.  Almost everyone else posts links to great deals in the US that would cost double to ship to Australia.  Have to get my own back sometime ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 18:58:55 »
Okay, color me green with envy! Those are pretty sweet prices, and in stock, too...   :'(

Since my explorations weren't turning up any reasonable (if I should use such a word on this forum) keyboards with my ideal setup of features, I went ahead and ordered a Cooler Master Trigger keyboard (SGK-6000-GKCG1-US).  Only has red backlighting, but that's tolerable until the Ducky board is back in stock, and I selected the Cherry MX Green switches for this one.

Now I can explore the options for key-caps, silicone oil, o-rings, and all the other customization goodies while I wait for the CM board to get here.   :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 20:00:43 »
MX green switches - that's brave for a first mech keyboard :)

See how you go with the MX greens as they are to begin with - most people seem to love them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 22:00:11 »
Virginia is the best state!

Personally, my favorite board is my Ducky YotD with PBT. Its sexy!

Good luck on your quest for the perfect keyboard. Be prepared to forfeit your wallet!
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline dohboi

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 23:43:21 »
Hey other new Virginian member! :p

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 09:10:03 »
Howdy Dohboi!

Yeah, just getting into the hobby here in NoVA, the "entry drug" was the Noppoo Choc Mini I got for work.  But once I started using that one regularly, I have to now have a mechanical keyboard for gaming - so the CM Trigger was ordered.  Still getting here, I typoed the ZIP code so they had to give me a call to clarify before shipping.  Should be here next week and I am so ready...

I was also bidding on a full-size Ducky Shine with Brown switches and green LEDs, but that got sniped in the last minute of the Ebay auction.  There are other Ducky Shine boards on Ebay at the moment, just not this combo of switches/LEDs.  Also spotted a new Ducky model Dk2108 (Dk Zero), which looks interesting, but it's not illuminated.

Have you spotted any retail options for mechanical keyboards in Virginia?  I did see a Siig full-size board offered at Micro Center, but it just felt... odd.  Both heavy and wobbly, if that's descriptive. 

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 09:27:16 »
Virginia is the best state!

only people who have never left virginia could possibly believe this.  i was born and presently live in the state in question, therefore i am right and you are wrong.

welcome, fellow prisoner of the commonwealth!