Author Topic: Any tips for making friends in college?  (Read 43435 times)

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
Any tips for making friends in college?
« on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 14:04:47 »
Just started at FIU and I'm kind of lonely here. Any friends I had last semester or from highschool are for the most part MIA or just never call back or text me back(at least I have internet friends though). But this semester I'm really feeling the lack of friends and right now my closest person is my ex girlfriend that we have a weird dynamic that we still have deep conversations. But that's once in a blue moon when we catch up after a while.

I'm thinking of a few clubs right now but devoting time to go into a club is tough right now with work.

It seems most people just want to come in, take their class and go back home.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Any tips for making friends in college?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 14:24:02 »
Try joining a business frat..

They still have parties which you'll get invited to.. AND the girls that surround business frats arn't the trashy no-conversation type.. so.. that's good..  (or bad, because you have to talk more)

Buhhhh... If you're very attractive,  then you won't have to talk at all.. just show up.. and ur done..

What exactly are you looking to accomplish..

You mention Friends..  but to what extent..  What are your intentions for these people..

As you may have noticed, all ur old friendships have dissolved readily due to PROXIMITY..

Friendship isn't something so lifelong, or useful or disney, like they try to sell you from K through 12.. hahahaha...

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 14:32:41 »
Are you commuting, or living on campus? If you're living in dormitories on campus, you'll meet people naturally there.  I knew lots of kids who would actually leave their doors open to make the floor feel a bit more inviting.  There's really no secret formula for making friends though, college can be really isolating ironically despite being constantly surrounded by hoards of people. The loneliness combined with the natural stress of your schoolwork can be a really bad cocktail, so don't put too much pressure on yourself to make a ton of friends. Student run groups and organizations are simply the best way of meeting people, and from there you can continue to expand your social circle.  Also, definitely try and maybe form some study groups for any difficult classes you might be taking, I found it made studying a lot more bearable for me. 
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 14:33:58 »
Give in to peer pressure.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 14:35:10 »
If you're like me... whatever you do... DON'T TALK ABOUT KEYBOARDS (or keycaps or switches or for God's sake any kind of stickering/lubing/artisans)!  You'll get too excited and they'll know how strange you are too soon.  :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 14:40:19 »
If you're like me... whatever you do... DON'T TALK ABOUT KEYBOARDS (or keycaps or switches or for God's sake any kind of stickering/lubing/artisans)!  You'll get too excited and they'll know how strange you are too soon.  :p

Oh yea..  and DO NOT hang out with Engineers...  That crowd can be described as fundamentally possessing NEGATIVE NUMBER OF FEMALES...

Depending on what you're --After....  I suppose the engineering crowd is good for certain things.. but in that very specific respect,  they are the antithesis of the College experience..

If you find that all the people around you are engineers,  be cognizant of that fact..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 14:43:43 »

Show Image

Yes, give in to peer pressure.. but DO NOT DO the following...

codeine (only available in generic form)
    fentanyl (Actiq, Duragesic, Fentora)
    hydrocodone (Hysingla ER, Zohydro ER)
    hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Lorcet, Lortab, Norco, Vicodin)
    hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Exalgo)
    meperidine (Demerol)
    methadone (Dolophine, Methadose)
    morphine (Astramorph, Avinza, Kadian, MS Contin, Ora-Morph SR)
    oxycodone (OxyContin, Oxecta, Roxicodone)
    oxycodone and acetaminophen (Percocet, Endocet, Roxicet)
    oxycodone and naloxone (Targiniq ER)

and  of course

HEROIN
COCAINE
CRACK
METH

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 16:18:52 »

Show Image

meperidine (Demerol)

and  of course

HEROIN
CRACK
METH

I modified your list a bit, stop being a buzz kill Mr Tissue

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 16:19:52 »
Yeah.
Don't tell them you like collecting computer keyboards.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 16:21:16 »

Hahahahahahahhahahahahaa...

Sigh............  if I do look at the current Landscape of desires...  it actually can be argued that cocaine is suitable for a certain CLASS of people..

Although... we must be clear.. You need at least 7 figures to truly SUPPORT a cocaine habit..

Anything less than that,  you could --TOOO-- Easily, spiral into homelessness..

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 16:30:47 »

Show Image

meperidine (Demerol)

and  of course

HEROIN
CRACK
METH

You ban the use of fentanyl but not oxycodone?

Are you like... a ****ing casual or something?
What is this ****? I would say add marijuana to the ban list because I'm not a POS casual lanky white boy cracker snacker and I go all in baby!

You know why I don't like the mary jane? It's not addictive meaning you can quit whenever you want.
You tell your ho that you do marijuana because it's easy to quit and she gonna say you ain't it cuz you can't commit so you better pack yo ****.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 17:01:31 »
My advice would be to get out and join clubs, or find activities you enjoy.  If you let it happen organically, you'll be much better off long term.

I'm not sure what your work schedule is like, but if you can spare a few hours a week I think it would be beneficial. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 17:06:25 »
Look for people with similar attitudes and interests. Music and art is easier to start with than science and nature.

"Similar" does not necessarily mean "the same" - and learning together can be great

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 17:07:27 »

What is this ****? I would say add marijuana to the ban list because I'm not a POS casual lanky white boy cracker snacker and I go all in baby!

You know why I don't like the mary jane? It's not addictive meaning you can quit whenever you want.
You tell your ho that you do marijuana because it's easy to quit and she gonna say you ain't it cuz you can't commit so you better pack yo ****.

Dang Frostytoast....   where u learn talk laik'dis...

College?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 10:23:30 »
When in doubt ask about music.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 11:24:32 »
The most important point is also the worst - try not to worry about it. If you're anything like me, overthinking things related to social life is the single worst thing you can do.

If you're not naturally outgoing, make a point of finding things to do where other humans also do things. It is college - there's some interest group that you'll like. You mention a lack of time, but try to make some, even if you're tired.

Unless you have some specific goal[1], don't worry about what "type" of person you're hanging out with other than the type you get along with. Avoid hanging out with people you're not in to, just because they're there - find people you want to be around.

And remember, this is college - land of new adults, raging hormones, bad idea theater and awkward conversations. Most of the people around you are at least as neurotic about social stuff as you feel, and the ones that aren't likely suck to be around[2].

Finally, don't listen to me. College was a long time ago, I have three close friends (all of whom I've known at least 20 years), and I've lived in the same place long enough that I usually know a few names when I go somewhere, and that's more than enough for me. So I'm not exactly a social animal.

[1] I'd argue that having specific goals in social settings tends to make you think of other people instrumentally, rather than as having their own value outside of what they can do for you, and that leads to ugliness. But YMMV.

[2] There are genuinely well-adjusted, nice people out there, but they're fairly rare in the early 20s. The others are insecure jerks masking with overconfidence, bullies or sociopaths.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 14:51:20 »

[1] I'd argue that having specific goals in social settings tends to make you think of other people instrumentally, rather than as having their own value outside of what they can do for you, and that leads to ugliness. But YMMV.

[2] There are genuinely well-adjusted, nice people out there, but they're fairly rare in the early 20s. The others are insecure jerks masking with overconfidence, bullies or sociopaths.

Hrrrrmmmmmmmmm

Point 2 is really just a consequence of Point 1. No ?

I'm sure you are referring to Superficial goals in Point one, such as narrow interpersonal acquisition or  exchange of sex/labor/payment.

But,......  In Tp4's observation of humans..  EVEN deeper relationships are fundamentally conditional..

The only difference has been that they're developed longer and would cover larger forms of exchange such as... Moving a couch... pats on the back after divorce...

So. in the end... There are no relationships that doesn't involve some form of give and take..  the transaction is merely in more complex and less liquid currencies..

Since such currencies are often more costly to Describe than they are to merely perform..  We don't talk about it..   But a value system can be assigned through the perspective of the impartial social observer.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:46:13 »
Are you commuting, or living on campus? If you're living in dormitories on campus, you'll meet people naturally there.  I knew lots of kids who would actually leave their doors open to make the floor feel a bit more inviting.  There's really no secret formula for making friends though, college can be really isolating ironically despite being constantly surrounded by hoards of people. The loneliness combined with the natural stress of your schoolwork can be a really bad cocktail, so don't put too much pressure on yourself to make a ton of friends. Student run groups and organizations are simply the best way of meeting people, and from there you can continue to expand your social circle.  Also, definitely try and maybe form some study groups for any difficult classes you might be taking, I found it made studying a lot more bearable for me. 

Commuting as of now. So far I only hang out with some people in a math lab and get some homework done and then go home and stress over paying for it all because the finaid office super speedy with how they process my fafsa.

My advice would be to get out and join clubs, or find activities you enjoy.  If you let it happen organically, you'll be much better off long term.

I'm not sure what your work schedule is like, but if you can spare a few hours a week I think it would be beneficial. 

I basically went to my managers "yo so school is hectic right now, I don't want weekdays anymore, just put me in for the mornings on saturday and sunday, ooh and friday night.

Right now I'm kind of looking into greek life so long as I can manage that and study while finishing two online classes.

Show Image

codeine (only available in generic form)
    meperidine (Demerol)
    oxycodone (OxyContin, Oxecta, Roxicodone)
    oxycodone and acetaminophen (Percocet, Endocet, Roxicet)
    oxycodone and naloxone (Targiniq ER)

and  of course

HEROIN
COCAINE
CRACK
METH

But those all sound like a lot of fun...
Why you gotta be such a buzzkill?

I'm pretty proud to be honest I've been content with my shine 3 and haven't looked into keyboards at all really. My interests have been all over the place and now it's coming back around to keyboards. But I do excited when I see another Pebble or oneplus owner...
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:47:48 by C5Allroad »

Offline jal

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 20:17:29 »

Hrrrrmmmmmmmmm

Point 2 is really just a consequence of Point 1. No ?

I'm sure you are referring to Superficial goals in Point one, such as narrow interpersonal acquisition or  exchange of sex/labor/payment.

But,......  In Tp4's observation of humans..  EVEN deeper relationships are fundamentally conditional..

The only difference has been that they're developed longer and would cover larger forms of exchange such as... Moving a couch... pats on the back after divorce...

So. in the end... There are no relationships that doesn't involve some form of give and take..  the transaction is merely in more complex and less liquid currencies..

Since such currencies are often more costly to Describe than they are to merely perform..  We don't talk about it..   But a value system can be assigned through the perspective of the impartial social observer.

I don't disagree. It is complicated, and it was a tangent, thus a footnote.

Every every relationship has obligations, some explicit, some not. And we all "use" each other to some extent, some of the time. That's a huge part of what friendship is - supporting one another in various ways.

You can put, e.g., cruising for sex, employment, fee-for-service of all sorts, etc. in to the treat-humans-instrumentally box, but I don't. I see that as normal human interaction. I'm talking more about the people who want to "be your friend" because you hold a socially privileged position and they want reflected status, or people who go to social events (not talking about "networking parties" or such - that's all up front, if also gross to me) to ingratiate themselves to someone they consider a stepping stone, on through people who spread rumors and play nasty social games, on through really dark stuff.

Basically, I'm guess I'm mainly talking about manipulation coupled with dishonesty. Again, everyone "manipulates" everyone else. A lot of times, this is a good thing - it serves a variety of important functions and generally forms part of the give and take that humans all participate in. It just becomes pathological when some people do it to advance their own goals without actual affection behind it. You start seeing people as tools, means to an end, and that way lies crushed feelings, resentfulness, hangnails, key switch short-circuits and, if you're not careful, political power.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 21:53:19 »
Make 'em now, college is your last chance as a single adult to make friends because once you graduate and enter the workforce it becomes ****ing impossible.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 22:03:47 »
Make 'em now, college is your last chance as a single adult to make friends because once you graduate and enter the workforce it becomes ****ing impossible.

If you stopped greeting new people by unzipping your fly and flashing your wang, maybe people would actually speak to you again.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 22:06:44 »
It's never impossible to make friends. The first thing you need to do is chill out and don't worry about it. Even if you're weird, you're going to find someone ten times as weird to hang out with you! All of us make friends, you just haven't fallen into the right circle yet.

Go join your badminton club, or board gaming club, or your citizen science club, or your journalism club, or your swimming club, or your Marxism club or, or, or... Make sure the reason you get into the club is because you're interested in the topic, and specifically learning about it. The rest will fall into place once you start having jokes and shooting the **** with people at the event.

My favourite memories from University are my extra-curricular activities. Make sure yours are the same! :)

Offline jal

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 22:31:57 »

It isn't the workforce, in my experience. It is when people start spawning. If you don't do the traditional family thing, and especially if you don't pair-bond permanently (like over half of those who get married), expect to see your friends who do become scarce once the stork brings the mini-thems.

Of course, then you get to bond with the other freaks who don't do children.

It isn't a serious problem, but I will admit that when it started happening, it bothered me. But that's what change does. Stay adaptable and you'll be fine.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 22:38:55 »
It's never impossible to make friends. The first thing you need to do is chill out and don't worry about it. Even if you're weird, you're going to find someone ten times as weird to hang out with you! All of us make friends, you just haven't fallen into the right circle yet.

Go join your badminton club, or board gaming club, or your citizen science club, or your journalism club, or your swimming club, or your Marxism club or, or, or... Make sure the reason you get into the club is because you're interested in the topic, and specifically learning about it. The rest will fall into place once you start having jokes and shooting the **** with people at the event.

My favourite memories from University are my extra-curricular activities. Make sure yours are the same! :)

Tp4 favorite memories from college..

All the females.... dang.... sigh................. should've bagged one back then..   Now #Ronery4ever..

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 22:40:15 »

Dang Frostytoast....   where u learn talk laik'dis...

College?

:thinking:
years of research into the psyche of the flyest kids.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 23:11:33 »
Any tips for making friends in college?
It seems most people just want to come in, take their class and go back home.
Wouldn't mind getting a bit of advice myself.

I am almost finished with my pre-reqs in community college (yay more KB money) and the commuting aspect made gaining friends much harder. Not to mention how hopeless clubs are in community college.  The only reason I have friends right now is the result of being in a 'smaller school'. Ever since Calc One, my classes are mostly comprised of the same 10 people.

Take advantage of the fact that you are at a university. Most of your HS friends will fade away but don't lose touch with your best buds.

Oh yea..  and DO NOT hang out with Engineers...  That crowd can be described as fundamentally possessing NEGATIVE NUMBER OF FEMALES...

Depending on what you're --After....  I suppose the engineering crowd is good for certain things.. but in that very specific respect,  they are the antithesis of the College experience..

If you find that all the people around you are engineers,  be cognizant of that fact..

Tp4 speaks too much truth. With 5 classes this semester, only chem and differential equations have more than 4 femalez.

As a third year student transferring in, is it a better idea to get a place off-campus or do the dorm thing in an effort to make friends?
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 23:33:55 »

As a third year student transferring in, is it a better idea to get a place off-campus or do the dorm thing in an effort to make friends?

If you're good looking , it doesn't matter, you don't need any help...

If not..

Dorm provides you with a safe / credible / non-rapey place to bring girls..  that's its greatest advantage..

Off campus,  there's aways that cognitive barrier,  (going to a stranger's house)...

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 07:51:19 »

Looks like I chose the wrong major... Computer science. But Hunter has many chances in all the math I'll need.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 12:53:35 »

Looks like I chose the wrong major... Computer science. But Hunter has many chances in all the math I'll need.

You can BE an engineer just don't hang around OTHER engineers all the time...

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 13:23:30 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:16:40 by alienman82 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 13:32:46 »
making friends in just classes can be hard, but it's easier when you're in your major and older. 

definitely volunteer or join some clubs, and just don't be afraid to talk to people.

I

Keep takeaway..

They're not going to bite your head off..  and if they don't like you.. heck, there are SO MANY GOD DAMN PEOPLE..    some of them, are bound to like you..

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 19:34:04 »
making friends in just classes can be hard, but it's easier when you're in your major and older. 

definitely volunteer or join some clubs, and just don't be afraid to talk to people.

I
Since making this thread I've joined a pltl group for math, and spend a lot more time in the math lab. So one study buddy has been achieved.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 19:35:18 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:16:12 by alienman82 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 19:35:45 »

I
Since making this thread I've joined a pltl group for math, and spend a lot more time in the math lab. So one study buddy has been achieved.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ALSO.. fat chix... IMHO, looking back, it seems like they're a rather large untapped resource..

--no puns plz--

I merely wanted to impart that they're very happy and amicable people

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 21:58:56 »

It isn't the workforce, in my experience. It is when people start spawning. If you don't do the traditional family thing, and especially if you don't pair-bond permanently (like over half of those who get married), expect to see your friends who do become scarce once the stork brings the mini-thems.

It isn't a serious problem, but I will admit that when it started happening, it bothered me. But that's what change does. Stay adaptable and you'll be fine.

This actually put a lot into perspective, thank you. Looking around it does seem like 75% of the people I am around have a SO, and the other 15% seem miserable. I realize why that is now, which is one more step towards being cool with where I am in life.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 01:30:59 »

This actually put a lot into perspective, thank you. Looking around it does seem like 75% of the people I am around have a SO, and the other 15% seem miserable. I realize why that is now, which is one more step towards being cool with where I am in life.

Well you gotta be careful with that analysis..  Being miserable have many causes.. 

For someone to be single into old age,  that may be indicative of something wrong with them. This person would've been miserable with or without having pair bonded.

The lack of pair-bond was a symptom  and not causal .

As for those who DO pair bond, the majority of them are unhappy due to the current all consuming demands of labor in most occupations, which naturally detaches parent from child, parent from parent.

Is it possible they may be happier than singles.. BUT  We can't even know these things and since they're all self reported statistics.. it's very difficult to test or even define Happiness.

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 04:51:30 »

Quote from: noisyturtle on Wed, 18 January 2017, 21:53:19

Make 'em now, college is your last chance as a single adult to make friends because once you graduate and enter the workforce it becomes ****ing impossible. https://thetermpapers.net/

I'm an introvert and making friends isn't my strength, frankly speaking. I'm not popular with girls either. I know that college is my last chance to make friends and get socialized like normal people but I'm always too shy to ask something or just say 'hello'. Don't know what to do with it...
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2019, 04:53:52 by arthurnottheking »

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 05:31:44 »
Actually being an introvert myself, I think that first you need to debunk the perceived fact that there is an absolute need to be somewhat of an extrovert to be popular or to have friends. Most extroverts have lesser occurances of deep conversation... And frens are kept for much longer than over a meal where there is some need to kill the awkwardness...
Once you are comfortable with this base notion, it is easier to talk to people as you would normally, (even for us introverts, it would initially mean it is "hi- how's ur day" kinda conversations)

As you become more interested in your friend's lives, u will spend more time together and eventually become closer.
No guarantee they will be there for life though, but possibly for your duration in college.

Find a hobby that you can meet ppl to discuss your interests , or better still, go to a church small group where it is more driven towards some sort of spiritual conversation and discuss about struggles...

Just my 2 cents.. Pls don't flame me

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 05:45:14 »

Dafuq is this, Engineers are the coolest!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 06:54:42 »
Join some clubs or organizations. There are probably lots of them.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 08:03:38 »
Dafuq is this, Engineers are the coolest!

You know that, I know that,   The rest of the world Shuns us !!

Tp4 lived in the engineering dorm first year, but due to access to fraternities, Tp4 never had to party there, or had any difficulty finding one to go to.

But in that first year, there were 5 sets of engineering roommates who attempted to have parties, and no one showed up, not even fellow engineers.

This is distinct from engineering schools, where nearly everyone is an engineer, and therefore obviously, some manage successful weekly gatherings.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 09:28:34 »
Don’t, it’s a trap.

Friends are temporary and will eventually disappoint and/or betray you.

But you will always have yourself.

Until you die that is.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 09:36:56 »
Don’t, it’s a trap.

Until you die that is.

Friendships can be rewarding. As we move forward, given the speed of unfolding-events and over-indulgence in hedonism, a long enduring cohort is increasingly unlikely.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 11:29:29 »
What's friends?

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 14:22:37 »
Don’t, it’s a trap.

Until you die that is.

Friendships can be rewarding. As we move forward, given the speed of unfolding-events and over-indulgence in hedonism, a long enduring cohort is increasingly unlikely.

Oh, of cause relationships can be very rewarding, in a way. However, the feeling one is left with, after having wasted so much of one’s time and energy on something that will ultimately only find a bitter end, makes it (from my point of view) “not worth it”.

The key is not to attach oneself to another person so much, so that once that person is gone, you will not miss them. Then all you will have left are the positive memories of the time in between, for what they are worth. People are too often looking for a partner or friend then makes them happy, that gives them something they cannot give to themselves (or so they believe), someone to “complete them”, but such a search can only end in disappointment. No one can make you happy but yourself. If one looks for someone outside of themselves to make them happy, they have already lost.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 15:56:07 »
idk... thinking back to when I was young(er,) making friends just kind of happened organically. You get invited to some group activity and before you know it you hit it off with a few people and hang out with them, and your circle expands vicariously thusly.

It's after you get out of college when it becomes straight up impossible to make friends. Especially if you live in an area where people are already superficially friendly and just want to be alone on their off days.
Making friends as an adult sucks  :'(

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 05:26:47 »
My **** is my friend. Who wants to make friends with my friend?

Suck my friend from the back.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 06:01:20 »
Don’t be afraid to talk to people and don’t be afraid of failing to make a connection to people when you do talk to them.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 06:42:37 »
Yeah.
Don't tell them you like collecting computer keyboards.

Just how i don't tell strangers about my vulgar reddit account

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 09:38:37 »
Don't be a douchebag.

If you keep to that rule, the rest will probably come by itself ;) .
Check my keyboard video reviews: